Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 87816 times)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #195 on: December 22, 2013, 11:32:16 pm »

Oh, I had no idea... wait... a second. That means you just died... yeah screw this, I'll probably do a suicide move or something and get another dwarf, better for my roleplay.
what? no I'm not dead.  Why are you  going to kill yourself D:
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 23, 2013, 04:59:04 am »

Meet Zargoth Snarlclasps:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kerod's relationships:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I would like to discourage this practice though, as in-game relationships are unimportant since we have real people here who can form grudges and friendships according to their reoleplay, instead of pure randomness of DF. Most of the in-game kin is also quite unimportant and often is not even in the settlement. It is quite boring to go through 6 pages of uncles and nieces only 3 of whom are actually in the fort... It would be better if you as a player decided who you are friends with.

Iden is fine. She was hauling a box of training axes in the north when it all happened. She is still a sheriff, but right now it is just a token role. Once we will have a jail - her position will have to be confirmed by council.

On this matter I would like to propose a few pieces of game mechanics:

Neblime, could you please reduce my influence to the realistic value of 10? Having god-like powers is fine for now, but excluding me from all the fun is downright cruel...

And to spice things up a bit:
Spoiler: "Playable Divines" (click to show/hide)

Feel free to discuss. If you like any of it - I will add it to the OP and make official.
Neblime, we will need your professional hand to make it nice and lawful :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 08:39:02 am by TeleDwarf »

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2013, 05:29:06 am »

IC
Intro for my character Zargoth:
... It's been eighty-nine years since i was born. All these years have housed a lot of repercussions. Certain things happened to me that changed me forever, All those dwarves hounding me with their meaningless words. I might have grown to hate them, but that doesn't mean they should die. The benefits of being a doctor have given me an unexpected or perhaps an unwilling service, the knowledge of the body parts would help me in combat. You know where i'm getting at. It's time to rise from peasantry to glory! I shall become an axedwarf and i shall protect this village!

OOC:
Start me off with -2 influence cause i mentioned that you all hounded me with curse words etc. Also i prefer you continue calling me weak etc while i'm still with negative influence. Also the intro was not a speech to others, it was in zargoth's mind.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 23, 2013, 06:28:44 am »

Like the Idea of mentionables, Divines could be interesting (But I'm betting that we would end up with more Divines than players eventually), Inheritances and adoptions seems fair enough.
Edit: Missed Mafol Idenlam (daughter) on that list of yours.
Anyway once the bed stuff and meeting of yours is over I might acclaim that wife of yours (and the mob, but they can't actually be acclaimed so, meh) for her brutal display(once mentionables have been approved) of vengeance against the enemy.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:26:41 am by Cain12 »

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 23, 2013, 06:35:46 am »

Like the Idea of mentionables, Divines could be interesting, Inheritances and adoptions seems fair enough.
I agree, Although divines intrigue me. Teledwarf, will we be able to pick when we die what we represent if divine? Like war or something?

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 23, 2013, 06:50:11 am »

Oh, I had no idea... wait... a second. That means you just died... yeah screw this, I'll probably do a suicide move or something and get another dwarf, better for my roleplay.
what? no I'm not dead.  Why are you  going to kill yourself D:

Oh... I misread that battle log. I suppose I'll have to live with being female, somehow.
And yeah, the divines idea looks very interesting, it adds a bit more flavor to our fort.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 23, 2013, 06:56:47 am »

"Splendid!",- said Teledwarf.

"Now we have me, Sakzul, Zargoth, Dwarf4Explosive and maybe Derpislava. That is five dwarves who in one way or another displayed their interest in military career."

"If council agrees, I would like to start training a 24x7 military squad, including:
me as a militia captain or militia commander, armed with a set of iron armor and iron crossbow, salvaged from last year's goblin ambush.
Dwarf4Explosive, as a marksdwarf, as he wished to be "the weakest of your military", armed with a set of iron armor and iron crossbow, purchased from humans the last summer.
Sakzul, as a hammerdwarf, armed with a set of iron armor and iron warhammer, forged by our fortress.
Zargoth, as an axedwarf, armed with a set of iron armor and iron battleaxe, salvaged from last year's goblin ambush.
We could also use Derpislava, but I think she might be better off training the council squad."

"I must also notify council that we need at least 5 capable leaders to command 5 peasant squads we have dwarves for so far. I am sure that establishing this squad will greatly help with gaining military experience for anybody who wishes to command his own squad one day."

For:1
Against:0
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 08:15:52 am by TeleDwarf »

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 23, 2013, 06:58:09 am »

Like the Idea of mentionables, Divines could be interesting, Inheritances and adoptions seems fair enough.
I agree, Although divines intrigue me. Teledwarf, will we be able to pick when we die what we represent if divine? Like war or something?

I assumed it was one of the in-game deities, but I may have misunderstood (I did just wake up a half hour ago, and I'm certainly not a morning person.) If I read it right, then if you want to represent war would leave you as "Kidet Blazedsquash (fortresses, war)". If you wanted to represent rainbows, blight, disease, death, and rebirth (like a certain Likot Skybeige in my most recent fort), then I wouldn't know what you'd do.

Overall, I quite like the new rules suggested. Mentionable characters makes sense, adoption should be useful when needed, and playable divines should be interesting.

As for the three gods Kerod worships, right off the bat I think I'll pick:

the dwarf deity Dasel (thunder, lightning, storms, rain)
the dwarf deity Othud Worthmoral the Peaceful-trust of Bravery (charity)
the dwarf deity Gedor (night, nightmares, dreams)

I will add this info to my character sheet later, which I may move nearer to my first post for ease of access (or maybe put a link to it in my signature?)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:04:26 am by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 23, 2013, 07:25:46 am »

Divines could be interesting (But I'm betting that we would end up with more Divines than players eventually), Inheritances and adoptions seems fair enough.
There are only that many divines to represent, so we will not end with dozens of them. Also the divine power points system ensures that they will not overuse their divine rights. Basically god is a pretty passive position:
you cannot directly contact any dwarves except your chosen prophet, and he can ignore you if he wishes so.
you have got to do something only once in a while. Like every few years boost someone with supernatural strength, flood booze stockpile with magma or just drop a slab of obsidian on your uncooperative prophet... That is if you have had enough worshipers to afford such an action, and if you have any roleplay reasons to perform such action (unexpected and uncalled for obsidian slabs can be very frustrating).

Edit: Missed Mafol Idenlam (daughter) on that list of yours.
She is not in fort due to being snatched(liberated?). Erib(son) is not in for because he did not arrive with the family. Whereabouts are unknown.
Anyway once the bed stuff and meeting of yours is over I'm planning to acclaim that wife of yours (and the mob, but they can't actually be acclaimed so, meh) for her brutal display(once mentionables have been approved) of vengeance against the enemy.
I think you can acclaim whatever you want(mob, weather, wooden sword), even if it is not a mentionable. They will not receive any influence(because they are not mentionable), but you can (if most agree with you). Like roman populists, who acclaimed romans as a whole, and received credit for that.

Teledwarf, will we be able to pick when we die what we represent if divine? Like war or something?
For sure. No one will force you to represent things you do not like. Provided that position is vacant.
We might need some rules for freeing divine positions if some player is inactive for quite a while as a god, but we can develop those as we go.

I assumed it was one of the in-game deities, but I may have misunderstood (I did just wake up a half hour ago, and I'm certainly not a morning person.) If I read it right, then if you want to represent war would leave you as "Kidet Blazedsquash (fortresses, war)". If you wanted to represent rainbows, blight, disease, death, and rebirth (like a certain Likot Skybeige in my most recent fort), then I wouldn't know what you'd do.
Yep, Kerod read it right. I think we could as well add another custom deity if need arises. Especially if we will find someone for a position of High Priest, who will track all those gods and worshipers and decide if any new deities are needed.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 23, 2013, 07:28:26 am »

Ah my mistake, assumed in the relationship screen that the colour meant she was still there and it was the son that was kidnapped and you just got the name wrong, my bad will fix my mistakes now.
Edit:Was meaning we have few enough active players as it is, letting them become gods on death would reduce the amount we have for the political stuff you are trying to get going.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:38:16 am by Cain12 »

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 23, 2013, 08:09:53 am »

IC

The situation has gotten out of hand. These goblins are so weak that they're pitiful, Although they're actually beating us, They think they'll draw us out if they kidnap our children. We might have ranged superiority, but in the melee department we're weak. We need more recruits and migrants. I suggest we prepare more barracks for future recruits. I might not be a war leader or even on the council, But i'm still trying to help as much as i can. Also these iron sets aren't good enough, We need steel not iron. I'm talking on behalf of the soldiers and this is what we all want: More barracks and steel weapons and armor! Now who's with me!?!

OOC

I should really create my character sheet as soon as possible, Wouldn't want to be my character without knowing what personality i have.
Also the relationship screen would possibly help me for future RPs, Mind giving me a relationship screen screenshot? Thanks  :D
EDIT: Of course i forgot that i can create relationships by rping but still i'd like to see the current relationships.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 08:30:47 am by Hahayeah »

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 23, 2013, 08:38:02 am »

IC

The situation has gotten out of hand. These goblins are so weak that they're pitiful, Although they're actually beating us, They think they'll draw us out if they kidnap our children. We might have ranged superiority, but in the melee department we're weak. We need more recruits and migrants. I suggest we prepare more barracks for future recruits. I might not be a war leader or even on the council, But i'm still trying to help as much as i can. Also these iron sets aren't good enough, We need steel not iron. I'm talking on behalf of the soldiers and this is what we all want: More barracks and steel weapons and armor! Now who's with me!?!

We are having 5 soldiers at best(3 of whom, being on the council, already have personal quarters), and we have only 50 dwarves overall, including council. Under such circumstances building a non-essential building will endanger our enterprise, while serving no one but you personally.
So far no armed dwarf was killed so far. I, therefore, defy the statement that we are weak in melee. And in any case barracks will not increase our readiness. Actually training will.
There might or might not be future migrants and recruits. We cannot be sure as we already have had certain problems with fresh migrants.
Iron is ok for now. It is better then what goblins have. The most armored goblin we saw had a help, a breastplate and a shield. Most come with only a helm and a shield. None of goblin equipment was made of steel or better, but most were made out of copper, bronze and silver. Furthermore, creating steel items is technically impossible and impractical right now, as we have lost access to our mine, and we have neither trained furnace operators, nor a steady supply of raw materials.

Against:1

OOC

I should really create my character sheet as soon as possible, Wouldn't want to be my character without knowing what personality i have.
Also the relationship screen would possibly help me for future RPs, Mind giving me a relationship screen screenshot? Thanks  :D
Actually I am. Relations screen gives us nothing, but is boring to produce.
You are single, your parents are not in fort. Only family you have here is your brother, Domas Satdeduk.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 23, 2013, 08:47:28 am »

IC

IC: I was just about to disagree with you and explain as to why, but my friend Teledwarf already encompassed the main points; that it is impractical and nigh impossible, that we did al-right last time, bar the unfortunate demise of our fellows, and other such valid counterpoints to you suggestion. Therefore, I have to vote nay on this proposal.

Against:2
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 23, 2013, 08:51:05 am »

OOC
BTW dont forget to vote on my claim to the scintillating cobra! if no one votes against me i get it automatically
On this matter I would like to propose a few pieces of game mechanics:
Neblime, could you please reduce my influence to the realistic value of 10? Having god-like powers is fine for now, but excluding me from all the fun is downright cruel...

And to spice things up a bit:
Spoiler: "Playable Divines" (click to show/hide)

Feel free to discuss. If you like any of it - I will add it to the OP and make official.
Neblime, we will need your professional hand to make it nice and lawful :)
on it.
Shall I just post up a bunch of proposed god related activites and their uh.. "Divine" influence costs and profits?
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 23, 2013, 08:53:55 am »

Zargoth Snarlclasps (+0) Suggests investing more in military
For:0
Against:30
How dare you "Speak for the soldiers" when you have not yet fought at their side!  If you really wish to assist us against the foul enemy, take up arms full time and show us your dedication!
EDIT-Forgot this was influence based >.<
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:45:54 am by neblime »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 60