Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 85409 times)

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody expects the Bearded Inquisition!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #840 on: June 05, 2014, 01:31:42 pm »

Succession game is when overseer does whatever he wants. In our game overseer does the council's bidding.
Either way the overseer counts as the GM, doesn't he? I'm not sure how that would work out, but we'll see I guess.

The more modding we do beforehand the better off we will be. For example positions are unmoddable during the game.
Ah, that's too bad. Guess we can use the pre-game time to think about mods then, and if we want to use them.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: June 05, 2014, 02:04:26 pm »

Woot, it might be back, I missed you guys. Thanks for the pm neblime.

Not sure about this Masterwork business, other than DFFS I don't really use much mods wise. Guess if you guys want I would be fine with it.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: June 05, 2014, 02:14:19 pm »

How convenient you ask, I just finished the whole Exam/Prelim issues that led me to having to pay it less attention in the first place. I felt rather bad about that to be honest, but these things happen.

So yes, now that I can confirm that I have time to dedicate to this again, I would be happy to. I'll probably have to check out the thread to remind me of how it works, but that probably won't take too long.

I look forward to a chance to write a more consistent character this time around (well, less bipolar), now that I sort of know what direction I'm going in.

I'm not sure as to the specifics of the restart, I may have to mull it over before making any suggestions.

EDIT: If we are keeping the playable god mechanic (or reworking them), then maybe someone could play as one from the start?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:28:49 pm by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: June 05, 2014, 04:52:53 pm »

ooh, i'm keen to mod in positions, even if they don't do anything other than name..
CAN we make them do anything?
Welcome back cain and kerod!
We never got to use the playable gods... I don't see why you couldn't use one from the start
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: June 06, 2014, 03:19:06 am »

Either way the overseer counts as the GM, doesn't he? I'm not sure how that would work out, but we'll see I guess.
We need to discuss it and acheive some kind of unity on it. Like what are the duties of the GM? And even if we actually need a GM? And if GM and overseer is the same person or not?

These questions are perfectly illustrated with the mechanics of gods and forces: one of the main mechanics of the gods is uncertainty. Players should not know for sure what exactly certain god wants, and what does he promise for it.
There are, of course, prophets. But some prophets may be more mercantile then others, and others may be just imposters. A crafty and charismatic false-prophet could gain much power and wealth by convincing a fortress to support an unexistiing god, while stripping real gods from any power income, and thus be completely safe from divine wrath (those thunderbolts cost power to cast :) ).

In our old scheme GM/overseer would know the personalities of the gods, but he would keep it to him. With our new scheme, depending on election laws, a greater number of the citizens will have access to the inner mechanics of the game (because it is an overseer who actually drops a marble slab from the sky to crush the unruly prophet), and thus to the real personalities of the divines.

One of the possible ways out of this problem could be creation of an OOC council(that would collectively act like a GM), each member of which would be a proven RP-geek who vows not to use his knowledge IC. But maybe you guys have a better, more elegant way out of this?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: June 06, 2014, 04:21:39 am »

I think the only responsibility the overseer (necessarily) has is to actually be the one playing the game, whatever that might entail at the time, I expect usually you'll just be trying to keep everything running smoothly while carrying out what the council votes for, and stopping if an invasion comes and calling for a plan of action etc,
the god issue as a problematic one though...
I suppose we could just have the actions of the gods known to all?  but still not allow them to talk to anyone IC except at the cost of influence.. a separate person than the overseer can handle those influence costs..
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: June 07, 2014, 05:12:47 am »

btw, does anyone oppose the idea we should wait for df2014?

Pranz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: June 07, 2014, 05:19:12 am »

PTW
DF Valentine
I punched a hamsterwoman in the mouth and her teeth exploded out of his head like gory shrapnel and littered the ground. Happy Valentines Day.

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody expects the Bearded Inquisition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: June 07, 2014, 05:58:30 am »

In our old scheme GM/overseer would know the personalities of the gods, but he would keep it to him. With our new scheme, depending on election laws, a greater number of the citizens will have access to the inner mechanics of the game (because it is an overseer who actually drops a marble slab from the sky to crush the unruly prophet), and thus to the real personalities of the divines.

One of the possible ways out of this problem could be creation of an OOC council(that would collectively act like a GM), each member of which would be a proven RP-geek who vows not to use his knowledge IC. But maybe you guys have a better, more elegant way out of this?
We could trust each other to not use OOC gained information in IC? If the overseer does use OOC information to stop the construction of a temple or whatever else a god would want to do our IC characters don't necessarily have to believe the overseer if he doesn't provide any arguments. Additionally he could be penalized with loss of influence like neblime suggested. I hope that made some sense. :-\

btw, does anyone oppose the idea we should wait for df2014?
Eh, from what I read DF2014 won't add that much more stuff to fortress mode.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: June 07, 2014, 10:56:38 am »

I think the next version is mainly an adventure mode thing (fixing civ sites and the like?), but to be honest I sort of lost track of what was going to be in it after a while.

I recall multi-tile trees being mentioned somewhere, along with climbing, but that's all I can really remember specifically, and even then I'm not sure if that was a mentioned feature of this update or the next few ones.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 10:59:48 am by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: June 07, 2014, 07:47:33 pm »

well what i can think of off the top of my head that changes for fortress mode:
Expanded dwarven personality system
multi tile trees
somewhat revised combat system
animal vs animal fighting
climbing/jumping invaders (And dwarves if they get stuck)
news from the outside world from merchants/liason
hereditary positions (like monarch) can actually be inherited (we might want this one for some custom positions?)
retiring a fortress without destroying it (hopefully not something we want)
edit- also a bunch of new crops
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 08:07:12 pm by neblime »

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: June 08, 2014, 07:02:03 am »

I think wars and the way they're started have also been changed.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: June 08, 2014, 07:19:32 am »

ah, true that would affect fortress mode.. potentially more easily get wars with elves/humans started (if the council, in their infinite wisdom decide we should)
i'm definitely FOR waiting for df2014

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: June 08, 2014, 06:08:38 pm »

ah, true that would affect fortress mode.. potentially more easily get wars with elves/humans started (if the council, in their infinite wisdom decide we should)
i'm definitely FOR waiting for df2014

I suppose I'm willing to wait until df2014 if you lot are.

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: June 08, 2014, 09:21:44 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139080.0
For those who want to read about the new version

I think we should wait, climbing invaders are too interesting to pass up
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 60