Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 85646 times)

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #795 on: February 09, 2014, 04:03:39 pm »

Hmmm...would this be acceptable as a memorial arch?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OOC: I tried to keep it relatively normal (and functional, which is why I incorporated statues into the design, so as to keep dwarves relatively happy), and I hope I've made it look similar enough to real arches, which is why I suggest placing it behind the main gate.

I'll admit that I have difficulty visualizing it, but it seems nice, if a bit large looking.

Even before we decide on the design, what materials do you think we should make it from? Stone, metal, etc. I would argue against clay.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: February 09, 2014, 05:37:11 pm »

Hmmm...would this be acceptable as a memorial arch?

OOC: I tried to keep it relatively normal (and functional, which is why I incorporated statues into the design, so as to keep dwarves relatively happy), and I hope I've made it look similar enough to real arches, which is why I suggest placing it behind the main gate.

I'll admit that I have difficulty visualizing it, but it seems nice, if a bit large looking.

Even before we decide on the design, what materials do you think we should make it from? Stone, metal, etc. I would argue against clay.

Propose clay and you will find yourself on the missing list, stone at the very least. Would like some sliver and stone, gold perhaps but that may turn out gaudy if we use too much.

Design and location wise I would rather go for something like Kerod's old arch that got rejected, only make it 7x7 (with some sort of outer support) or 7x5 (so inside can accommodate statues in the corners, remove the slabs of course) instead of 7x3. Possibly opt out of fortifications and replace with normal walls, depends how they look. And I like the location somewhat.

Will make and post an idea once I figure out how the hell stone sense works and have a more definite idea on what "improvements" to make.

Edit:And when my computer quits messing around.

Elorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody expects the Bearded Inquisition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 10, 2014, 07:58:06 am »

OOC: Some middle age castles had a small area of farmland inside, but generally, these were not enough to support the castle on it's own. Then again, if the Great Wall of China makes China count as a fortified area, putting any size of farmland inside our palisades would be slightly more realistic than reality.
So we have to build the Great Wall of Gorgeadmired? :P

Propose clay and you will find yourself on the missing list, stone at the very least. Would like some sliver and stone, gold perhaps but that may turn out gaudy if we use too much.
Why the hate for clay? Bricks make everything better!
Just kidding, a stone arch is what it has to be. With perhaps several statues of the fallen ones on top.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 10, 2014, 08:31:14 am »

Why the hate for clay? Bricks make everything better!
Just kidding, a stone arch is what it has to be. With perhaps several statues of the fallen ones on top.
Kidding, I have no  strong feelings for or against clay, simply never used it before. So I guess I just favor stone.

Plus a monument to the dead should be fancy, nothing says fancy like stone and pretty metalwork.  (Edit:Provided we have such resources to spare.)

Well lava, water, obsidian, and the like, maybe.

Arg, keyboard, due to your condition it is too annoying to display my usual level of wit and cunning. (joking of course)
I may post less often til this fixed, or at least decrease the length.
So you know those designs I should be doing? Now I have a good reason to not be doing them.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:42:55 am by Cain12 »

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 10, 2014, 11:18:43 am »

I would suggest obsidian, but perhaps the well known "fools' adamantine" would seem appropriate? It is, truth to be told, the most dwarfy material possible, and in most fortresses, it is one of the most common materials, which would make it less of a load on the fort's capacities.

OOC: If we're going for the more realistic route, we can't actually use lava/magma to get obsidian. It's about ten kilometres (6 miles or so) beneath the Earth's crust, and the Earth is in the low range of what sort of planets are human-habitable. Then again, no one knows how large a single Z-level is, so the magma sea could easily be that deep.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: February 14, 2014, 06:54:28 pm »

I would suggest obsidian, but perhaps the well known "fools' adamantine" would seem appropriate? It is, truth to be told, the most dwarfy material possible, and in most fortresses, it is one of the most common materials, which would make it less of a load on the fort's capacities.

OOC: If we're going for the more realistic route, we can't actually use lava/magma to get obsidian. It's about ten kilometres (6 miles or so) beneath the Earth's crust, and the Earth is in the low range of what sort of planets are human-habitable. Then again, no one knows how large a single Z-level is, so the magma sea could easily be that deep.
OOC
Well either you guys are really polite or for some reason no one had anything to post. Either way I am grateful for the break.
Of course obsidian is a bit of stretch, would be far too much effort for something like an arch.

Anyway, not proposing IC since I don't think Cain would do so at the current time but this is what I would, I shouldn't say but he would probaly support whatever is proposed, D4E's, Kerod's old "arch", Mine.

Fortifications cause, well they look nice imo, but maybe just walls. Silver because we have plenty to spare, wanted to use gold or iron, but iron hardly sounds pretty or fancy (and should be saved for making armor and weapons as we need them) and gold would be gaudy unless we used only a little.

"st" is for statues, thinking metal for the inside section statues, stone for the roof statues, but meh these are just personal thoughts. So wiki wise, still need the miners hall, still having trouble?

Can make it for you either in proper DF for the furniture, or just do the usual, preference?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: February 15, 2014, 12:10:17 pm »

Seems quite nice, and it has more space for statues than my design, making it more practical in terms of happiness/cost.
OOC: What I really would like to see is an arch that can actually be used for something, like a marksdwarf bunker. This seems pretty close, only needing stairs on the outside to make that possible. Why I want this? Because a chance to have dwarves die on top of the memorial arch seems friggin metal.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 16, 2014, 08:55:43 am »

Back after a little break. Can anyone enlighten me on what we have decided? I would like to fire a session now, so a quick summary of the past days would be nice.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: February 16, 2014, 11:31:55 am »

Seems quite nice, and it has more space for statues than my design, making it more practical in terms of happiness/cost.
OOC: What I really would like to see is an arch that can actually be used for something, like a marksdwarf bunker. This seems pretty close, only needing stairs on the outside to make that possible. Why I want this? Because a chance to have dwarves die on top of the memorial arch seems friggin metal.
OOC

Well if we want an marksdwarf bunker I think yours would be more appropriate, but I suppose the one I made could have some stairs out between the statues on the inside? Or as you said we could put them on the outside. And maybe fortification on all sides of the top.

Well its been a few days without posts, still discussing the arch, don't think we have conclusion on the brick factory. This is a mix of OOC and IC as far as I can tell:

Spoiler: Brick Factory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Barony (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Arch Discussion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Marksmen Bunker (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Conclusion (click to show/hide)

Also since I'm posting, D4E and Mr Mountian, when you find time please create a profile page on the wiki, backstory is optional I think. (And if its not then I have to get editing)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: February 16, 2014, 01:25:52 pm »

We raised more questions than answers, aren't you proud of us?  :)

Yeah, I am most pleased with your democratic progress :)

In this post I'll try to log everything that catches my attention in this session, so stay tuned. I am starting from last save, as I promised.

Edit 1: First of all disbanding the conscripted militia.
Throwing FireCrazy and Derpislava out of the Council squad. Should we add them to the military? They have pretty good skills for that.
Since Neblime thrown them out of council - he will be new squad leader/militia commander.
Adding Mr.Mountain to the military too.

Edit 2: Since Dashedsilver is a bit ill - we will find some other doctor to heal everyone.

Edit 3: our kitchen worker, brewer, decide that he had enough and started to crawl around babbling.
A clothier also decided that he should from now on be referred as a melancholic.

Edit 4: some children were stolen, some dogs died. And migrants have arrived.

At this point I consider that it is enough tragedy for me today and am now suspending till next session, which will likely be tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:24:27 pm by TeleDwarf »

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: February 16, 2014, 02:43:39 pm »

Throwing FireCrazy and Derpislava out of the Council squad. Should we add them to the military?
I suppose since their players aren't around to object we could.

Edit:Damn, more kids and dogs, lost a few to madness and more buggers to sort through.

Care to lend us a date, nothing specific mind, just find the month when you start up again. If it isn't too much bother anyway. Olin and Datan II are fine I hope.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 07:12:30 pm by Cain12 »

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 17, 2014, 02:36:42 pm »

How were the children kidnapped? Did the snatchers sneak in, or were they wandering around in an open area?
no one could have anticipated this

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 17, 2014, 06:02:57 pm »

All children are burrowed in the longhall cellar. But babies are attached to the mothers, so when mother is doing stuff outside snatchers stab the mother (or the child), put the child into the bag and run for it. since military and council is exhausted by prolonged combat, clad in iron and have pretty low armor usage skill - they have no chance succeeding in pursuit. Once stockade is up it should help a bit, but still mothers with babies will be at risk. Especially lowborn.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 17, 2014, 11:53:36 pm »

Throwing FireCrazy and Derpislava out of the Council squad. Should we add them to the military? They have pretty good skills for that.
Since Neblime thrown them out of council - he will be new squad leader/militia commander.
oh dear.. well I guess I get extra influence at least
edit- are me and firecrazy getting anywhere, because if not i'll be considering adoption T_T
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:56:08 pm by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 18, 2014, 02:17:51 pm »

I'm not opposed to a marksdwarf bunker on the arch - I guess we have to decide if we are the kind of society where spilling your blood on the memorial of the fallen is a sign of respect or not...seems pretty warlike to me.  Which I'm fine with.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 60