Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 85250 times)

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2013, 07:24:49 pm »

It sounds like Derpislava is all-round mastah crafter... mechanic, smith, fletcher and now carver >_>
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2013, 08:15:38 pm »

I have update Urist Mc Dwarf in the OP. other dwarfing (and catting) requests I will process tomorrow.

I have also uploaded map to the map archive:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11941-gorgeadmired
This way our Fortifications Comissioner can start planning our fortifications :)

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2013, 08:48:07 pm »

My advice? Build a partial wall with archer towers, make some underground shelters, and set it up so the depot can be acessed internally by our dwarves in airlock fashion
D=depot
w=wall
+=ground
==bridge
#=pit
r=ramp
Code: [Select]
wwwww
w++DDDDD+w
w++DDDDD+w
w++DDDDD+w
w++DDDDD+w
wwww==www
ww   ==     w
wwwwrrrwww

The fortress is accessible from the ramps

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2013, 08:57:31 pm »

So you suggest to put depot inside the castle? Wouldn't noble dwarves object such lowly neighbours?

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2013, 11:35:32 am »

Having so many new dwarves I intend to use the -PROCLAMATION OF GOVERNANCE REDRESS OF THE SLICK MURK OF THE LUSTROUS TRADES- in regards of separation council and non-council roles.
Council Secretary Inkydance, could you please update the document with more roles? We at least have Urist Mc Dwarf, who volunteered to be a Fortifications commissioner and I am not sure if it makes him a senator or if council is even willing to give him such office.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2013, 11:48:50 am »

If we're deciding on where to put the depot, it needs to be protected somehow. Any structure would suffice, as long as it could keep things out in emergency.
Everything's in the news today

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2013, 12:16:33 pm »

If we're deciding on where to put the depot, it needs to be protected somehow. Any structure would suffice, as long as it could keep things out in emergency.

Well, with Trade depot we are getting quite ahead of ourselves. as you can see on map: we do not actually have neither city, nor village, not even keep, so placing trade depot is not actually our first priority. We should also keep in mind that while it would be nice to protect merchants from hostiles, it would also be nice to please our insane old king with a "open" fortress, without enclosing large portions of our settlement with impregnable walls.
While it should be ok to have impregnable castle for our more valuable citizens (and here I mean nobles, senators and such), it can be quite an overreaction to put impregnable defenses around more common areas, like, for example, marketplace.

Although I think it is ok to have a city wall too, but with clear and always-open highways for trade and othe civilian traffic to flow freely.

While it is hard to predict the size oh the city, and thus hard to draft any particular plans for city walls, I think we can somewhat estimate the size of initial keep, and therefore lay plans for castle construction and design. It would be nice if Fortification Commissioner could layout plans as to where should keep be, how many gates should it have, what is the architecture of it's main structures and how large should it be. This way we will be able to start settling common warves around the keep, and save ourselves from the need to dismantle their shacks later.
The cliff to the north of longhall looks rather promising and scenic to put keep there.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2013, 02:26:55 pm »

I would suggest building our trade depot in a small, wooden watchtower somewhere near most of the workshops, with the floor level being depot, cellar and upper floors storages, and the higgest one barracks. It would be located outside of the keep, and both function as a store for trade goods and a safe place for citizens and merchants to hide during a siege.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2013, 03:36:51 pm »

Has a cat done anything worth naming it yet?

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2013, 03:53:26 pm »

I would suggest building our trade depot in a small, wooden watchtower somewhere near most of the workshops, with the floor level being depot, cellar and upper floors storages, and the higgest one barracks. It would be located outside of the keep, and both function as a store for trade goods and a safe place for citizens and merchants to hide during a siege.
Ok, I'll try to do it if council approves.

Has a cat done anything worth naming it yet?

He arrived with one of the migrants, check the OP :)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2013, 04:22:44 pm »

ATTENTION! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! ALL HANDS ON DECK!

It is now 15 Hematite, 128, Early Summer. The third year of our settlement.
Urist Mc Dwarf decided that this is as good time as any to be taken by fey mood. And as he traeds blissfully to the carpenter's shop he suddenly hears a "tiang!". It was a goblin ambush leader. He just released a bolt in the general direction of Urist.
We are attacked! We urgently need battle plans.

We have a decent number of half-trained marksmen, but with armor. and most of them are important, named dwarves.
We have a decent amount of migrants, but most of them have no training whatsoever, and those who knows in which hand should one hold his weapon are lacking the said weapon.

Enemy forces discovered so far are four goblin axemen, lead by one goblin crossbowman. It is possible that more goblins are hiding nearby.

What should we do?
Should we risk our most valuable dwarves or should we turn this battle into a bloodbath by conscripting peasantry and using them as meatshields?
Should we sally forth and attack the enemy in the field or should we seek a more defensive ground, although risking being surrounded by yet hidden enemies?

The enemies are ~70 steps to the southwest of longhall. here is our military situation:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2013, 06:31:21 pm »

I suggest a mix of both. Station our marksmen in the area with most buildings, so that goblins have to come close and get revealed - and in front of them, station migrants. If goblins rush into melee, they will have to first cut throught our terrori.... brave peasants.

Oh, and whatever you decide to do - please, make sure Derpislava is in the first line. Y'know, she's named after the "Captain Dwarforica" Derpislava Sodelakun of one of my older fortressess... Even if she dies, let it be with a xXgoblin legXx in her grasp.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2013, 06:58:34 pm »

Remember those two big votes we had so far? First time council mandated to dig for ores, second time - to craft crafts. Noone given me permission to build buildings, so we still have exactly one. Have you checked out the map?

Also, are you sure about Derpislava? After all she stll has that baby on her tit...

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2013, 07:00:09 pm »

After looking at that, I have even more reason for wanting everything locked up tight behind big walls. I'm useless at combat XD

I'm terrible at military strategy, so I'll leave it to the more adept to decide what to do.
Everything's in the news today

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2013, 07:14:07 pm »

Well I'd suggest putting a few outdoors, the useless/expendable ones as scouts, and putting everyone else indoors with the regulars guarding the entrances, lock the entrances to the south, will swarm anyone who enters from the north, nobles with good training round the middle.
Or you guys could not risk it by letting the enemy into your one shelter and just put some regulars outside and keep the rest locked safely indoors, I know nothing of DF military strategy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 60