Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 88001 times)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #495 on: January 11, 2014, 12:33:02 pm »

I really like the design, just a little bit worried. If we do arches just for mentionable miners, what would we have to do for a renowned player? For a siege? For a Baron, Count, Duke and finally King? What would we have to do for a dragon attack or for the here who have slain the dragon? Death of the miner is a rather minor event in the DF. I am just concerned if our young city will not be built solely of monuments to fallen people?

As of other options here, there are plenty: a statue, a statue on pedestal, a shrine, a memorial featuring their picks in a weapon trap, a statue in a 1x1 room full of water with 4 windows. A statue on a 1x1 island, surrounded by water. A sacred grove. Name something after them (like mine, road, hospital, etc...). It would be a bit tricky to get proper statues of the people we want to memorize, but we can give sculpting labor to their relatives (Cain and Kerod) and they will sooner or later produce what we are looking for.
Those are just options, just so you do not complain that you are constrained to only building arches.

About searching for the new baby-maker - I have just checked the wiki, and it says that lover is irreplaceable. I wish I knew it before volunteering my whole family into the military... Anyway, that means that unless anyone knows how to fix that in dfhack - you will have to resort to adoption.

Dwarf4Explosives:
Sorry, but I am still not getting you. are you proposing to build our city like a up side down pyramid? And what/when/how that lever is connected? Why would we pull it if it would crumble our walls?

Or are you proposing building larger walls in advance on the supports and caving them in as needed to provide walls on the surface level? in that case it wont work. neither OOC (constructions do not cave in, they crumble instead), nor IC (imagine what would happen to any man-made building, including stockade, if it is dropped 3m down.)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 11, 2014, 12:34:33 pm »

Bloody forum, double-posted because that 503 error.

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 11, 2014, 01:03:56 pm »

OOC
I like the arch design, very nice. 

Also, have you somehow either smoothed the part of the aquifer that we breached or left some sort of drain to the level below?  Strange that it is draining.

IC
If I may be so bold, while I think it is important to memorialize those that fall, I fear that Iden will not be the last to perish in our mines.  It is a dangerous task that claims lives, even the most prudent and safety orientated.  Perhaps a hall of memory, at the entry to the mines would be appropriate, so those of us that work there every day can say our thanks to those that gave their lives for the good of the community, and thank them at the end of the day for watching over us.  I think that a room with alcoves, each alcove containing a memorial slab for each fallen would be appropriate for those of us that toil in the earth.  Please, when I pass, I beg you to intern me below ground, preferably in the mines, but at the entry would do as well.  Perhaps, if the memorial slab is inadequate, a statue of the miner could be created as well.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 11, 2014, 01:11:39 pm »

Sorry, I didn't know about that.

Anyway, I think a simple memorial hall, adorned with statues would be a good idea. To remind us of the dangers present in the waters of the underground, we should also attempt to route waterfalls so they, while being separated from our workers, are visible in the hall (and cause mist).
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 11, 2014, 01:21:16 pm »

I really like the design, just a little bit worried. If we do arches just for mentionable miners, what would we have to do for a renowned player? For a siege? For a Baron, Count, Duke and finally King? What would we have to do for a dragon attack or for the here who have slain the dragon? Death of the miner is a rather minor event in the DF. I am just concerned if our young city will not be built solely of monuments to fallen people?

I am glad to hear you like the design, and agree that it is too much for a mere miner (dear as she was IC). I think we can reuse the design in the future for much more important things.

As of other options here, there are plenty: a statue, a statue on pedestal, a shrine, a memorial featuring their picks in a weapon trap, a statue in a 1x1 room full of water with 4 windows. A statue on a 1x1 island, surrounded by water. A sacred grove. Name something after them (like mine, road, hospital, etc...). It would be a bit tricky to get proper statues of the people we want to memorize, but we can give sculpting labor to their relatives (Cain and Kerod) and they will sooner or later produce what we are looking for.

I like the idea of the memorial slab with the weapon trap (though if we do that, would we still have enough picks?), or naming a road/building/etc after them (have we got any buildings that might be appropriate for this? I suppose the mine would work, or maybe the sherrif office?). We could just put the slabs near the road, or in the place of where we plan to put a statue garden (maybe in that 'place of natural beauty' mentioned in the OP? OH, or maybe in the indoor garden/open roofed hall of my manor! Speaking of that, I think I'll try to pick out a spot for the building, may as well try and reserve a space.) Really, I'm quite open to suggestions.

*new posts* fake-edit: I suppose Coldbones idea, while lacking the personally excessive touch I had intended, makes sense. She was a miner, so putting her memorial in/near the mine entrance would serve to remind other miners.

About searching for the new baby-maker - I have just checked the wiki, and it says that lover is irreplaceable. I wish I knew it before volunteering my whole family into the military... Anyway, that means that unless anyone knows how to fix that in dfhack - you will have to resort to adoption.

Damn. I really should have checked the wiki before making plans,  :-[. Oh well, I suppose I'll focus on making a home, then forcibly abduct adopt the first child that becomes available. No worries, an adopted child will do, though he may be less receptive to the level of noble snobbery I was going to instil in him. On the plus side (eternal optimism :) ) now I don't have to figure out who gets buried in the Picknotch family tomb (though considering the aquifer, the tomb may need to be redesigned).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 01:23:05 pm by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 11, 2014, 01:32:43 pm »

ColdBones, nope. that attempt failed at the very beginning of our trouble. the level below turned out to be magnetite and did not accept drainage. It looks like suddenly at some point leak just stopped. The only thing I can think of is those works ABOVE we were doing to regain access to the  mines. Works with a ton of leaking water continuously.

For that hall, will we need to redesign the mines access tunnels? or is it planned as just a blind corridor with alcoves?

Dwarf4Explosives, and kill our FPS even more?

Kerod, adoptee is not necessarily a child. you can adopt any mentionable, if you will strike a deal with his player. Father, Wife, Lover, Brother - are all available options...

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 11, 2014, 04:16:46 pm »

Kerod, adoptee is not necessarily a child. you can adopt any mentionable, if you will strike a deal with his player. Father, Wife, Lover, Brother - are all available options...

I know, but Kerod would want a child (preferably a 11 year old, but still).

Also, even though I probably don't need to:

Dwarf4Explosive proposes aerial drop plan.

The plan: Start with the fuchsia stockades. Then build small towers to suspend walls in mid-air using supports. Proceed to drop as needed.

For:1
Against:0

IC: Against. Walls suspended in the air, how ridiculous!

Against:1

OOC: I realised no one else had voted yet, and I wanted to make sure it doesn't get through just because no one else felt need to vote on it.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 11, 2014, 05:42:47 pm »

That plan has been proven impossible anyway, so let's just call it off.

For:0
Against:2
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 11, 2014, 06:27:47 pm »

For that hall, will we need to redesign the mines access tunnels? or is it planned as just a blind corridor with alcoves?

I have to go to hockey right now, let me look at the map (has the entrance to the mines changed much since?).  Would it make sense to use that point of interest thing on the map to point out where I'm talking about, if I'm remembering correctly?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 11, 2014, 08:11:30 pm »

I dissaprove of the arch.  We cannot afford such extravagance for one individual, a 2x2 clay tomb will do.

I also disagree with the dropping walls plan.  Dwarves build in the ground, not the air!
Against:3

For now I believe we should focus on

outfitting and training soldiers as best we can and spend our building efforts on houses and industry.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:29:57 pm by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 12, 2014, 02:45:34 am »

Alright, I put a spot on the map, have a look.  I also think that this spot would be good because it allows the general public to go there as well.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 12, 2014, 07:12:41 am »

Uploaded map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11956-gorgeadmired
Uploaded save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8254

If someone could go through the players and update mentionables - it would be just great.

ColdBones, so you would like to create miner's memorial in our "temporary ore storage area"? That would be quite near the surface level (-1). I thought you wanted it in a more stony place.
Anyway, I guess we need some designs to continue discussion about it.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 12, 2014, 08:12:24 am »

Downloading as I post, going to find out what goblin bastard kidnapped Cain's poor little Mafol, once I'm done doing what you asked of course, just for curiosities sake.
Might take a bit, not use to embarks so large so my laptop might not take it well.

Edit:Hey, dashedsilver has a daughter who is married, would the husband he count as mentionable?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:43:39 am by Cain12 »

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 12, 2014, 09:44:10 am »

I just noticed that Zargoth is actually a manager and controls the work orders. Why the hell is a non-council man a manager? Oh well, Should be happy i guess.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 12, 2014, 09:50:46 am »

Done, I think, not counting the dead or step relatives:
Spoiler: mentionables (click to show/hide)

And for Kero who is looking for kids:
Spoiler: kids (click to show/hide)
No orphans unfortunately.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 09:55:10 am by Cain12 »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 60