Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 87990 times)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #480 on: January 10, 2014, 05:57:07 am »

I like the double-slit method a great deal. I is slow enough, yet safe enough. and it is described exceptionally well (an example of how construction projects should be described.) And most importantly - it is scalable: if we need a wider hole - we can add another double-slit next to the completed one(sharing a wall). Cave-in method does not have that scalability, And while freezing method is the most scalable - it is also very dangerous if attention is not enough.

We will, of course, continue our current project once temperature drops. If only to recover Iden's body. And once Cain is back on duty - we will start double-slitting.

Edit:
I have no idea what is going on here, but flooding of the old mines stopped at level 2/7.
No tiles of level 3/7 water were spotted for some time now, so I guess it should be safe to send serfs to recover ores we left there.

Edit2: And here comes the minotaur. What a pity we do not have a wall and some traps set up yet... he would make a great centerpiece in a maze (or sewers?)... Anyway, it is time for our army to earn it's spurs. To arms!

On the other hans - he is on the same side of the river as goblin squad, so I guess he is their problem... We will mobilize just in case.

Edit3: and also 10 migrants show up. but luckily for them - on our side of the river. Minotaur is standing still, as are the goblins. are they uninterested in each other? are they allied?

Edit4: Dashedsilver's daughter came, Reg Uzololtar, together with her husband.
A skilled potter with a severe amnesia came. he claims to know no one and have no relatives and yet his social skills are Great. I do not trust him much, but he is an unmarried male, if anyone is interested.

Minotaur and goblins finally smelled each other and are now charging in. Let's hold our breath. If we are lucky enough, minotaur will decimate goblins, and remaining goblins will kill minotaur and retreat.

Edit5: nah, looks like minotaurs do not work that way... If I had captured him, and equipped him, and trained him... oh, well...

Edit6: we also have a mayor now, so if you guys want we could make a vote for this position.
Latest political news flash:
Today senator Kerod was seen facedown in a pool of mood. According to the witnesses he fell into a shallow 1x2 murky pool during a training session. Luckily for him this pool was drained to 4/7 by nearby hospital workers, so his life is not endangered.  Nevertheless he is still said to sit there, stunned by this sudden embarrassment.

Edit7: We can also start building stockades. as you guys are pretty passive when it comes to planning, here are my sketches:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Red is the largest one, Blue(+Red) is the middle ground, Fuschia(+Blue+Red) is the smallest one, yet containing all that we need.
We can try to build Red right away, or we can start with Fuschia, and expand as need arises. any other proposals?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 06:59:42 am by TeleDwarf »

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 11, 2014, 07:16:17 am »

Just in case you do not see that the thread is updated. look in the previous post for ongoing stuff.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 11, 2014, 09:32:31 am »

OOC: lol, poor Kerod, I'm glad he didn't get hurt too much though, for that would  be a rather unfortunate accident, considering the similarly water related deaths of Oilcut, Cains wife, and Iden, Kerod's lover. I am glad that the mines are relatively accessible.
Regarding the Stockades, I have one question: Is it going to have a drawbridge? I imagine not, as the rule laid out says we cannot have fully seal-able areas (except for the keep). It also said we can't have dormitories, which I am glad to have read as it changes part of my plan considerably (Gosh, I think I'm having more fun designing and redesigning Kerod's house than I will posting it. Honestly, I was nearly done, then had the bright idea to go on Deviant-art and Google images looking for video game concept art, now I simply have to change it to accommodate the new idea. I doesn't help that the new building suggestions basically say we can be impracticable so long as it looks nice, and with the mine being somewhat safer, we may even have something to build it with. Thank god that Cain is here to reign me in a bit.)

I quite like the idea of the stockade, as it will limit the directions our enemies can attack from some what, or at least slow them down a bit so we can prepare for attack. I think I like Fuchsia the most, but Blue seems nice too.

Shame about the Minotaur dying so soon, though he likely would have cause much damage if we had to fight him (if he had gotten a weapon that is, unarmed Minotaurs are ever so slightly less dangerous).

Due to being stunned (do you mean that figuratively or literally?), I suppose I have very little to say in character.

IC: [mumbling to himself]: Bloody training ... argh, bloody mud, bloody water, bloody armour ... ruined I say, ruined...

OOC: I will work on the assumption that he has recovered enough to be able to converse with the others in my next post, regardless, as it would be no fun to post everything I have to say OOC.

edit/P.S.: Is everyone in training, or do we by any chance have a few eligible bachelor-ettes in the meeting area idling about, waiting for some grieving noble to marry and maybe have kids with? Just looking out for his interests.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:03:58 am by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 11, 2014, 09:37:56 am »

Stockades look fine I guess, after this we should start putting some cage traps out there, nothing like line of them (well maybe one or two in key areas or entry points) everywhere just a few scattered about, so nothing that could take an entire invasion force but could catch a few of the buggers for whatever. Wooden cages of course, need to save on metal and stone where we can.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 11, 2014, 09:49:43 am »

Kerod, do not worry, you gathered yourself together and went to archery practice. Nothing big, but I had to share this :)
How did they even found that little pool of mood to throw you in. it is just 1x2 on the very edge of the training field. I never even noticed it was there...
We can have a draw bridge and a moat and whatever, but mostly for the aesthetic reasons. Nothing too protective. I am unsure though how would drawbridge even look like in the stockade. Maybe in those rectangular spots we can build a simple gatehouse?

Cain, I was thinking of adding cage traps and weapon traps to the stockades access points. Like the pattern of some points with cage traps, some with varied weapon traps and some are just clear path.  So that goblins may get lucky, or may get hurt, or may get stuck on the stockade :) Nothing too overpowered yet, as it is our first fortification and our experience there is nonexistent.

We also got a legendary gem setter through mood creating a boring perfect gem. Now we can encrust stuff :)

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 11, 2014, 09:58:45 am »

Cool, sounds like it will be useful without making things boring and easy.

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 11, 2014, 10:05:06 am »

IC
Gah! That gem setter is wasting his time, Gems are useless! Anyway, The goblins decimated the minotaur! They are all injured, But we must still wait for the time to strike. They are out of our range and let's wait for them to come to us, not us come to them!
OOC
Stockades would be great, We are lacking in the defence department so yeah..... Poor kerod...

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 11, 2014, 10:15:33 am »

Goblins left. apparently they ran out of fresh meat and decided not to wait for winter and instead to search ford somewhere else.
We purchased some metal from human caravan, some more animals, some more booze, and most importantly a copper whip! And Dashedsilver quickly went to the depot and claimed it for "medical studies"(OOC: indiv.choice melee). Let's see what is he up to.

Edit: and mines look like they are draining.  I can see plenty of 1/7s now. could we somehow brake dwarven physics by making a permanent flow on the level above?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:18:28 am by TeleDwarf »

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 11, 2014, 10:38:09 am »

Yay, We became more rich. I don't know about the physics part though

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 11, 2014, 10:48:16 am »

Goblins left. apparently they ran out of fresh meat and decided not to wait for winter and instead to search ford somewhere else.
We purchased some metal from human caravan, some more animals, some more booze, and most importantly a copper whip! And Dashedsilver quickly went to the depot and claimed it for "medical studies"(OOC: indiv.choice melee). Let's see what is he up to.

Edit: and mines look like they are draining.  I can see plenty of 1/7s now. could we somehow brake dwarven physics by making a permanent flow on the level above?
OOC: YAY.

IC: Here are plans for the construction of a small monument in the memory of Iden and Oilcut. It is small and modest, and but a small token of my feelings for her and Cain's feelings towards his own spouse. I should hope you can approve this minor gesture, considering that our mines appear to be clearing up:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OOC: I figured it would be out of character for Kerod to not propose some form of memorial for his first lover, and placing it over the path near the long-hall ensures people have to pass through it. I did a rough count, and it should take about;

12 for F1, 15 for F2, 9 for F3, so 36 blocks (9 boulders) in total.

So it's not that much really. I added Oilcut to appeal to Cain.  Not sure if you can still make slabs for them though, as I usually use coffins, but I'm sure someone with more experience can correct me there.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 11, 2014, 11:06:14 am »

Quite on time. Iden just raised to haunt Kerod, and could possible haunt whole council, as we all were friends with her.

We (should)use both slabs and coffins, so no problems there. There can be several slabs for a deceased.

I guess it is up to council to approve this monument or not. it looks rather nice, but I am not sure if an arch is not an overkill. Usually arches are built in memory of great victories, usually conquests. Up to you(council) though.

We will now try to smooth everything in the mines to stop any future surprises. This will also help with the engraving of quality slabs.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 11, 2014, 11:13:30 am »

Dwarf4Explosive proposes aerial drop plan.

The plan: Start with the fuchsia stockades. Then build small towers to suspend walls in mid-air using supports. Proceed to drop as needed.

For:1
Against:0
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 11, 2014, 11:18:24 am »

The plan: Start with the fuchsia stockades. Then build small towers to suspend walls in mid-air using supports. Proceed to drop as needed.

I am not sure I understood the plan. You propose to build dropable constructed towers on supports? What? Why? How? What again?

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 11, 2014, 11:58:34 am »

Quite on time. Iden just raised to haunt Kerod, and could possible haunt whole council, as we all were friends with her.

We (should)use both slabs and coffins, so no problems there. There can be several slabs for a deceased.

I guess it is up to council to approve this monument or not. it looks rather nice, but I am not sure if an arch is not an overkill. Usually arches are built in memory of great victories, usually conquests. Up to you(council) though.

We will now try to smooth everything in the mines to stop any future surprises. This will also help with the engraving of quality slabs.

OOC: I am willing to make it smaller (the top bit is a tad superfluous) if the council requests it, or use another shape, if you can suggest one. In all honesty, I chose an arch because I couldn't think of what else to make. Even if we don't use this for Iden/Oilcut, Do you suppose this design could be used to commemorate other events?

Now, regarding Iden's recent jaunt into the land of the living, I believe now is the best time to gain her permission to find a baby-maker in her stead, hopefully before she murders him or other such nuisances.

IC: I must insist my design goes through, not for my sake, but for Idens. You may think me mad, but I swears it's true, her spirit haunts me, and will not rest until we put her at peace. She's in so much pain, and I fear for my sanity if I must see her suffer much longer.  Place the slab down at least, on the side of the road if we must. I know I wished to see her again, but not like this, certainly not like this! You all knew her, surely you will come to her aid! Do you not think she's been through enough!?

OOC: Welp, at least Kerod can make peace with her now.

I am not sure I understood the plan. You propose to build dropable constructed towers on supports? What? Why? How? What again?

I don't really get it either (:-[), do you mind explaining in more detail?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 11, 2014, 12:23:06 pm »

Basically, I just want us to build the stockades marked in fuchsia first, then use floors connected to the original stockades to build the other stockades in midair. If we connect them to supports, we can then expand the fortress at the pull of a lever.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 60