Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 85012 times)

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area (As proposed by accoro). Attempt II.
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2013, 02:18:45 pm »

It is going wrong already. The project was intended for hundreds dwarves, but migrants just wont come :(. I wish we had some semi-nomadic hill dwarves we could forcefully enlist...

Well, regarding plans for how to cope, I say build what little we can, then compensate for our poorer than expected homes by making the workers live in mud huts.

I kid, I kid, but I am wondering what we can accomplish with so few people.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2013, 02:54:37 pm »

I'm all for postponing the appointments, they don't make much sense with so few people, still have to vote on what to do though.
cyberTripping, please vote, you have council responsibilities!
(refer to other posts on page 3 if you don't know what I mean!)
and as for the migrants well at least that gives us alot of time to build before the population expands too much.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:09:37 pm by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2013, 03:46:34 pm »

I vote we dig. We can bother with more structures once we have materials to work with.
Everything's in the news today

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2013, 04:16:42 pm »

Derpislava has given birth to a boy, Udil Tulonrurast!

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2013, 04:17:17 pm »

on 27th of Moonstone in the year 127, Derpislava has given birth to a boy, Udil Tulonrurast!

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2013, 05:46:41 pm »

aquifer breaching was successful (so far. let's see if it will remain so in spring.)
We have lost two newbie migrant miners: Moldath Limaruzol and Lokum Uzolrit. They were frozen in ice. One day we will recover their bodies and will arrange the burial.
Also gobins snatched Cain's younger son, Mafol Idenlam. Maybe we need some kind of guarded school for young citizens? A place to experiment with plants and alcohol under the supervision of armed adults?

On a brighter side we now have access to galena, magnetite, gabbro, limestone (probably whole layer of it) and 5 boulders of kaolinite from aquifer horizon.
Maybe it is time to start steel industry? Derpislava claims that she is an adequate blacksmith.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2013, 05:58:21 pm »

aquifer breaching was successful (so far. let's see if it will remain so in spring.)
We have lost two newbie migrant miners: Moldath Limaruzol and Lokum Uzolrit. They were frozen in ice. One day we will recover their bodies and will arrange the burial.
Also gobins snatched Cain's younger son, Mafol Idenlam. Maybe we need some kind of guarded school for young citizens? A place to experiment with plants and alcohol under the supervision of armed adults?

On a brighter side we now have access to galena, magnetite, gabbro, limestone (probably whole layer of it) and 5 boulders of kaolinite from aquifer horizon.
Maybe it is time to start steel industry? Derpislava claims that she is an adequate blacksmith.

Yay, limestone! Great for basically everything! Monuments, outer walls, towers, etc.

My condolences for Cain (though I'm sure the child is somewhere safer now, at least he wont starve) And who knows, maybe he'll come back one day, and you can try and remind him of  his home.

I light of these events, I suppose we could keep the children in some form of shelter.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2013, 06:43:59 pm »

Should I post something small related to this event? Edit: Seeing as I lost a son and my wife.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 06:50:02 pm by Cain12 »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2013, 07:05:39 pm »

Diary of Neblime Inkydance, Council Interim secretary
Conditions have not improved significantly.  Yes we no longer have to drink and meet under the rain or stars, however we are still consigned to wooden shacks, on the bright side now that the aquifer has been breached perhaps A steel cabinet could be afforded my quarters.. I must raise the matter later.
Tragedy has struck, and a beloved son of our outpost has been stolen from us!  I believe we should begin preparations to tunnel to the goblin citadel responsible, and drown them with magma.  Teledwarf was less keen.  At any rate our resolve is united against the foul beasts, and I have urged Teledwarf to reconsider the suspension of appointment of war leader immediately!

OOC
he doesn't actually have to do anything yet I just want to have someone to blame when things go wrong :P
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2013, 09:15:33 am »

I'd like to be a different dwarf please. Maybe a fortifications commissioner?

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2013, 04:01:58 pm »

I'd like to be a different dwarf please. Maybe a fortifications commissioner?
Sure, I have two more noble ladies that are not involved in any frivolous activities yet (though being such a small fort with no migrants so far I cannot guarantee anything in future :) )

If you want a male noble though you will need to pick male migrant and convince current nobles that they need another noble family and you are the best candidate for it.

Speaking of current nobles:
We have successfully extracted some stone and ores from our small mine, but our population is still pretty small. (3 dwarves less then it was year ago.)
So what should we do next?
To the options from previous vote I would like to explicitly add:
change "c - dig for stone, possibly freezing out any aquifer." to read:
c - mine for resources, emphasizing -this-, where this is the ore, stone or other digable resource you would recommend to hoard.
add:
f - create crafts en-masse to demonstrate to the next caravan and hope that migrants will be impressed sooner then goblins.
g - segregate society as is and hope that 8 dwarves can support 7 nobles. Nobles should switch do doing -this-, where this is an activity. It can be military pursuits (24/7 training), politics (chatting in the longhall 24/7) or whatever you wish would be nice to do while Derpislava, Cain, Dwarf4Explosive,  cyberTripping and their few relatives do all the work.
h - create arms and armor for everyone and brace ourselves for inevitable hostiles (after all something in this wood have already eaten 3 waves of migrants before they even arrived to our settlement)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2013, 11:36:49 pm »

I vote for crafts (f).  We must show the dwarves of the world of our prosperity!

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2013, 03:49:05 am »

Yeah, lets make some crafts, I suppose. And get some weapons too while you're at it, just in case.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2013, 05:05:11 am »

OOC:
Also while we are at voting stage: This project slowly turns into a community-driven forum RPG. Maybe you guys know some better media format for it? Single forum thread is a bit too constraining for the amount of communications and documentation(requests of different levels, proper votes, guilds with limited access, various diaries, history manuscripts, narratives, screenshots and maps) we could have. Is I understand: the more of this stuff - the more interactive RPG becomes.
So, what methods of organizing this stuff would you recommend? I can currently think only of a subforum with multiple threads and subforums with custom access rules or the wave format (google had a "google wave", which they discontinued but I heard some other vendors provide such functionality). Maybe you guys know of some other media format that would suit us well? Or maybe I am ahead of myself here?

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2013, 05:07:10 am »

We could move this thread to the DF Community games and stories section, since this is pretty much a community game.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 60