Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 85004 times)

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area (As proposed by accoro). Attempt II.
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 11:15:16 pm »

Make me a noble too, please :P.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 11:26:34 pm »

so a 9x9 embark on 4 rivers? Perfect conditions for any megaproject

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 01:10:37 am »

If you guys find some way how to add RPG intrigue into the DF mechanics - it would be awesome.
well I was thinking we wouldn't much in game mechanism for our actions/decisions - only the results, like custom professions, ownership of grander houses/furniture/military equipment.
Instead have a council of noble families that can vote on political appointments (i.e. the normal DF nobles) and other things perhaps;
what shall we do with the new gold vein?
Does Urist mcBeastslayer need to have an "accident" before he gets too popular with the peasants?
who gets to sleep in the artifact bed?
should we expand the council to eight families?
EDIT - also maybe institute laws?  "Any dwarf found to be keeping more than two socks in his possesion shall be sentenced to fall 7 dwarf units onto a raised ☼Steel Spear☼!"
and so on...
EDIT#2 - inkydance is a perfect name for a politician/noble
that way players can join in without it being a succesion game and future dorfed players can aspire for a seat on the council so they can influence the game more (or to otherwise usurp its influence!)
let me know what you think of that idea
P.S. A building for the council would be cool ^_^
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 04:30:50 am by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 01:20:01 am »

The Diary of Neblime Inkydance, whose career prospects are uncertain, 1st Granite, 126
We arrived at "Eribnebl" at last.  Quite a quaint name, I'll have to ask someone what that means in proper dwarvish.
I got to know that Amostod fellow on our journey (the self proclaimed leader of this expedition), he seems nice enough,
but despite what I was told about how this place would be different to any other, we would no longer live like rats in a
hole and each and every peasant artisan and noble would be kept in their proper place and housed as such, he informed me
he intends to form a traditional dwarven government with one single nobleman sending down production orders from on high
to break the peasants' backs by hammer or hauling.  He seemed to disdain verbally discussing such "intellectual and pointless"
matters with me so I have written a petition detailing an alternative form of government for his assesment, I await his
remarks on it, in the meantime I shall attempt to have that Kerod fellow sign as well.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 08:18:15 am by neblime »
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 03:12:41 am »

Great looking embark. It'll be fun seeing how this plays out.

Could I be dorf'd?
Everything's in the news today

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 08:24:14 am »

We are out of male nobles, so you will be a female noble from the starting 7. I'll post the screenshot of her personality later today.

so a 9x9 embark on 4 rivers? Perfect conditions for any megaproject

yep. for this project we need a lot of space, and I love rivers and waterfalls. Let's see if we will make it a 1-2 FPS madness.

well I was thinking we wouldn't much in game mechanism for our actions/decisions - only the results, like custom professions, ownership of grander houses/furniture/military equipment.
Instead have a council of noble families that can vote on political appointments (i.e. the normal DF nobles) and other things perhaps;
EDIT - also maybe institute laws? 
that way players can join in without it being a succesion game and future dorfed players can aspire for a seat on the council so they can influence the game more (or to otherwise usurp its influence!)
This sounds fun. Within that framework we could even have a full-featured succession game, given we get enough active dorfs who share our fervor and able to run 11x11 embark with 3 rivers. :)

Does Urist mcBeastslayer need to have an "accident" before he gets too popular with the peasants?
"Any dwarf found to be keeping more than two socks in his possesion shall be sentenced to fall 7 dwarf units onto a raised ☼Steel Spear☼!"
Maybe we need censors in our senate to protect our dorf from such regulations? right now any beastslayer would probably be more important then all other dwarves, because the first ambush would probably end our utopian dream. Also as far as I know df mechanics the "2 socks law" would quickly outlaw whole population.

Could I be dorf'd?
Sure, male migrant or noble female?

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 09:53:54 am »

We are out of male nobles, so you will be a female noble from the starting 7. I'll post the screenshot of her personality later today.

Fair enough I guess.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 11:20:45 am »

Dwarf me as the weakest of your military (i.e. the one you deem "most likely to die painfully and slowly to stray ducks, ducts or kobolds").

So, will I be dorfed or not?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 11:26:19 am »

Dwarf me as the weakest of your military (i.e. the one you deem "most likely to die painfully and slowly to stray ducks, ducts or kobolds").

So, will I be dorfed or not?

Sure you will be, but since you requested a military role and I do not have any militia yet your dorf is still undefined... Maybe you would like some useless migrant now and some useless warrior later? chances are they all will die painfully enough.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 12:48:58 pm »

Yeah, I just wanted to make sure you didn't read over the post. Anyway, I'm happy waiting. The amusement of seeing this place crumble will be great.

Anyway, if you need some advice, I think I know a pretty safe way to defend your fortress: dig out a small minecart track that overlaps your fortress entrance. Put as many rollers as you can afford on the track. Add enough lead minecarts to fill the track almost completely. Add two  floodgates, to shut off the stream of minecarts in times of peace. Then you connect the rollers to a water generator. To keep your dwarves from getting hit, designate a shortcut through the point where minecart track and path meet; when attacked, tell the dwarves not to use the shortcut.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 12:50:36 pm by Dwarf4Explosives »
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 01:08:32 pm »

I think I know a pretty safe way to defend your fortress: dig out a small minecart track that overlaps your fortress entrance. Put as many rollers as you can afford on the track. Add enough lead minecarts to fill the track almost completely. Add two  floodgates, to shut off the stream of minecarts in times of peace. Then you connect the rollers to a water generator. To keep your dwarves from getting hit, designate a shortcut through the point where minecart track and path meet; when attacked, tell the dwarves not to use the shortcut.

Three major problems with this plan:
1. it is does not quite fit the theme. While I am not against use of minecarts for transportation, it sounds a bit cheaty for me to use short loop as a weapon trap.
2. it is a fairly large project for the limited resources I have so far. 7 unskilled nobles with a few migrants will fail miserably trying to build this in any kind of timely manner. Add to it an aquifiers I have not breached nor even found and the lack of anvil to make any lead stuff.
3. it assumes a single-entry fortress, while I am building a city/castle with a lot of ins and outs.

all in all - if I had enough workforce and access to metals - I would be better off equipping few squads with metal armor.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2013, 01:28:47 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_John (looks like a mug),

Well, I've been there more times than I can count, but I literally never noticed that it looks like a mug. That's embarrassing.

To be fair, I probably only think it looks like a mug because the Wikipedia article said it did, along with that pictures angle. Like how an animal always sounds like it's saying what the titles say it is saying, on those horrible "cat says 'I love you'!!" videos, simply because the titles have already told you it was supposed to be saying that.

Also: "The mug shape has given rise to false accounts of the tower's origins supposedly relating to a beer-loving miller who was killed after being hit by a pole during a bonfire." sounds vaguely dwarfy to me.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:30:41 pm by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 09:25:12 pm »

EDIT - also maybe institute laws? 
This sounds fun. Within that framework we could even have a full-featured succession game, given we get enough active dorfs who share our fervor and able to run 11x11 embark with 3 rivers. :)

"Any dwarf found to be keeping more than two socks in his possesion shall be sentenced to fall 7 dwarf units onto a raised ☼Steel Spear☼!"
Maybe we need censors in our senate to protect our dorf from such regulations? right now any beastslayer would probably be more important then all other dwarves, because the first ambush would probably end our utopian dream. Also as far as I know df mechanics the "2 socks law" would quickly outlaw whole population.
well, we can tone it down a bit for sure, but I take it you approve of the general idea? (do I have permission to RP that teledwarf said yes and setup the council?)

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2013, 11:42:19 pm »

Could I be dorf'd?
Sure, male migrant or noble female?

Migrant, preferrably a useful one.

Having FPS fun yet?
Everything's in the news today

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2013, 05:37:07 am »

well, we can tone it down a bit for sure, but I take it you approve of the general idea? (do I have permission to RP that teledwarf said yes and setup the council?)
Yes, absolutely.

Having FPS fun yet?
Not really. I usually play at ~20 fps (this way I can actually see dwarves walking somewhere, not just darting around). But if you have some suggestions about FPS optimization - it will most assuredly come handy. things like traffic designations and such.

Now back to the progress.
The first caravan came and we managed to trade some wooden torture devices for an anvil, 2 bins of cheap leather and 4 metal cages with mundane animals. This allows us to have our first militia - xbow armed dwarves.

After the first year a spring has finally came.
we have basement and a main hall finished, but no roof yet:
Cellar:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Main hall:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So now we are at a choice. what should we do once we finish roofing the longhall?
a - build a 2-nd story with restrooms, and move to turn longhall into a tavern?
b - build additional facilities around to house industries (barn, slaughterhouse, fisherman's hut, farm...), and move to turn this little trading post into a bustling village.
c - dig for stone, possibly freezing out any aquifier. Stone and metals will greatly increase our chances of survival.
d - build a wooden fort by the river, building our dream with what we already have (wood, bone)
e - your variant.

I guess it is suitable choice for a council of nobles, the larvae of our future senate.

Edit: I have added actors(named dwarves) to the OP. I will only post important updates in OP, and less important stuff will go to the thread instead. otherwise I risk running out of space in the OP.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 05:40:12 am by TeleDwarf »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 60