Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 85413 times)

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2013, 10:14:13 am »

Section A should become a cat sanctuary and temple to Armok. Maybe it could also house the military, prisoners and arena. It could be a well fortified place to retreat to when things go sour.

While I agree with the general idea, I would argue we should make temples for the in-game deities, the ones that can actually have worshippers. It would allow for more variety in design, and we could even appoint a small clergy (through custom job titles and the like) if we so wished.

As for the retreat for 'when things go sour', I believe that's our noble strongholds function, for the nobles of course, but I'm sure We'll open it to the peasantry in times of need, *).
(In all seriousness, I think fortifying the area around our long-hall could make good retreat for those not living in the manor, it has the food and drink, and the hospital nearby should help.)
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 15, 2013, 06:51:15 pm »

OOC
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
OOC edit 1 PLEASE READ

Personal record of Neblime Inkydances the 1st
Recorded by Neblime Inkydances Council Secreatry
Inviligated additionally by Kerod Picknotch

Date of birth: 18th obsidian 55th year of the reign of Ingish Inkhoods

Documented services:

Drafted the Proclamation of redress of government of the slick murk of the lustrous trades
Served as a council secretary year 126 - ongoing
INFLUENCE: +10
Council Member
UNMARRIED
NO CHILDREN

UNKNOWN PARENTS

Personality:

Likes/dislikes:

Industry preferences:
Building direction preferences:
Resource preferences:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:39:17 am by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2013, 04:03:31 am »

Is the aquifer leak located in a position where it may be caved in to contain it?  I find the sound of constantly flowing water can distract and slow down all fortress affairs (even falling rocks!), as others have surely observed.  If it is in such a position I vote we prioritize caving it in.  If not I vote we devote our immediate time to procuring proper armour and weapons for both peasants and council members alike, if any time remains after both/either of these affairs, I vote we devote it to constructing at least decent accomodation for council members, THEN peasants.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:10:15 am by neblime »
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2013, 10:24:30 am »

Spoiler: "On City Planning" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "On Character Pages" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Other stuff" (click to show/hide)

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2013, 11:36:28 am »

I will admit that the red boxes were largely arbitrary boundaries of huge spaces made in very little time. I agree that proper mapping of regions could be useful for planning purposes.

Regarding character sheets, I'll work on something based what Neblime and TeleDwarf have posted. It should hopefully allow my posts to be more IC, once I figure exactly what Kerods character is.

Don't know what to do about the flooding mine, I have very little experience with aquifers. Same with modding, so I can't help there either.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2013, 07:22:36 pm »

Also randomly throwing red rectangles with red letters on them is neither too immersive, nor precise enough to know where boundaries really are. Maybe we could first map whole area and decide on the names of local features?
I shall Produce a naming proposal at once!
Spoiler: "On Character Pages" (click to show/hide)
hmm well in that case I think some changes are in order.  While my character sheet addresses all of your questions... I think (if somewhat indirectly) I can see that the player based ones are unanswered.  If not changes, we at least need additions.  Perhaps it's more about our opinions towards other dwarves? not sure.  I'll make some changes and see how it looks. 
EDIT - done, please review!
Spoiler: "Other stuff" (click to show/hide)
well while i don't have any knowledge in that area, is it necessary for the game to generate mandates for us?  Maybe we can outline what we want done at the beggining of the year/season, and once we work out some kind of better way of recording our influence (hopefully character sheet related)

P.S. teledwarf how well is your comp handling 13x13? 0_o
P.P.S. not that you aren't doing an excellent job teledwarf, but can you please check whether I (and others if they want) get married/have children at each update?  (since i want to record this now and setup my dynasty!), also is the map in the OP? if so I can't find it :S if not can it be please?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:09:04 pm by neblime »

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2013, 10:08:07 pm »

I shall Produce a naming proposal at once!
Splendid!
hmm well in that case I think some changes are in order.  While my character sheet addresses all of your questions... I think (if somewhat indirectly) I can see that the player based ones are unanswered.  If not changes, we at least need additions.  Perhaps it's more about our opinions towards other dwarves? not sure.  I'll make some changes and see how it looks. 
EDIT - done, please review!
Nice. I am sure you will do a reat job tracking all those +influence :)
The more you guys are involved - the more !!Fun!! it will get.
well while i don't have any knowledge in that area, is it necessary for the game to generate mandates for us? 
Well, not that we actually NEED any in-game support for our political system, but I thought it would be cool to have a few custom noble positions that fit our theme. Housing requirements, mandates and exemptions are just additional flavor options... I am also pretty sure there is a way to alter dwarf preferences (which impact mandates)  through a dfusion script. Just an option, you know, no real need to do it...
Maybe we can outline what we want done at the beggining of the year/season, and once we work out some kind of better way of recording our influence (hopefully character sheet related)
That would be great.
Also, as an option - we can try to work in smaller teams: a noble gets his few loyal retainer peasants (maybe friends or distant relatives) and does his own thing with them (builds a house, crafts something, whatever...). Loads of micromanaging for me, but can potentially be fun for storytelling purposes.
P.S. teledwarf how well is your comp handling 13x13? 0_o
13x13? last I counted it was 11x11 :/. is it growing?
it is pretty stable.
P.P.S. not that you aren't doing an excellent job teledwarf, but can you please check whether I (and others if they want) get married/have children at each update?  (since i want to record this now and setup my dynasty!), also is the map in the OP? if so I can't find it :S if not can it be please?
Here is the future of your dynasty: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133733.msg4808272#msg4808272 no wedding yet though.

map link is in the last line of the last spoiler in OP.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2013, 10:59:29 pm »

Nice. I am sure you will do a reat job tracking all those +influence :)
The more you guys are involved - the more !!Fun!! it will get.
ok well in that case I think i'll take advantage of the first reply spot i took and put it all there from here on out!
and oh.. 11x11.. still seems pretty large. I can barely handle 5x5
edit - i am so addicted to adding colour to things.  Any dwarfed peoples, let me know if I forgot you in the influence summary
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:20:57 pm by neblime »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 17, 2013, 06:10:45 am »

Sorry to post AGAIN, but I posted a whole bunch of influence rules, detailing how you can get/use influence in the second post (See page 1!)
Teledwarf can you please let me know if it all seems ok (also other people if you have concerns/suggestions),
as of now it's just a draft pending teledwarf seal of approval, but if it gets that seal, I intend for it to be the main system we use to play out our political intrigues.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 17, 2013, 07:34:19 am »

It looks pretty detailed, convoluted and complex, so I think it represents true democratic nature quite well - a bureaucratic madness. I am sure it will evolve to become even more complex and entangled, so that we will use entire senate sessions to figure out which laws apply and why.
So I think it is a good scheme.

However I dread the ultimate influence and superior powers you assigned to me. It would be nice to tone them down to more earthly levels. After all I am just a temporary(if anyone else will be able to run that embark :) ) overseer, not a High King of All Dwarves...

I actually think that position of Overseer (Royal Liaison) should be severely limited in terms of political powers. You either do politics or  control dwarves directly.It is more of a technical office then an ultimate moral authority. One day we may chose someone else to run the simulation, and it should not come with pre-packaged "political god" mode.

Let's also see what other dwarves and cats have to say about the proposed system and their place in it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:39:13 am by TeleDwarf »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 17, 2013, 07:38:54 am »

OOC
It looks pretty detailed, convoluted and complex, so I think it represents true democratic nature quite well - a bureaucratic madness. I am sure it will evolve to become even more complex and entangled, so that we will use entire senate sessions to figure out which laws apply and why.
i've been adding more for like 2 hours hahahaha

However I dread the ultimate influence and superior powers you assigned to me. It would be nice to tone them down to more earthly levels. After all I am just a temporary(if anyone else will be able to run that embark :)) overseer, not a High King of All Dwarves...
I actually think that position of Overseer (Royal Liaison) should be severely limited in terms of political powers. You either do politics or  control dwarves directly.It is more of a technical office then an ultimate moral authority. One day we may chose someone else to run the simulation, and it should not come with pre-packaged "political god" mode.
ok well, succesion aside, I just thought it would be good if you can just step in if we decide something too crazy, I'll leave you as omnipotent for now if thats ok.  Other than that, I think i'll start my political actions right away!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:40:54 am by neblime »

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 17, 2013, 08:00:13 am »

OOC
ok well, succesion aside, I just thought it would be good if you can just step in if we decide something too crazy, I'll leave you as omnipotent for now if thats ok.
Only as a temporary measure. I do hope we will develop healthy political traditions and will not need a big brother any more. Things like: no cheating, no mechanics abuse, no unfortunate incidents to the political opponents(unless roleplayed), no shortcuts, no intentional shooting ourselves in the foot.

Military service is a binding contract, right? a soldier MUST do what Squad Leader said, and squad leader SHOULD obey what War Leader said, right?

IC:
I would like to volunteer to military.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 17, 2013, 08:21:24 am »

Neblime Inkydances (+10) Acclaims Urist Mcdwarf (+2)
Agrees: 1
Disagrees: 0

Friends, I'm sure you all remember the terrible trial we went through when those damned goblins arrived.  But do you remember the courage of one single dwarf, in the face of potential injury or death, he remembered he had a job to do!  He was not deterred by the axe swings of those cowards, nor by the regrettable, heroic and lamented death of kib Ilunudib.  He left the rest of you cowering in the hall so he could complete, so he went ahead and created the scintillating cobra in the heat of battle, so that one of us might sleep comfortably!  So perhaps when you lowly peasants see him walking by, you should avert your eyes, or get out of his way! 
Who among you agrees?

OOC
well you have to assign yourself to a squad mr actuallyplayingthegame, and I dont think the council needs to agree to that one!  I think we can do phasing out of royal hand holding IC, as we go.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:31:11 am by neblime »

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 17, 2013, 09:20:17 am »

well you have to assign yourself to a squad mr actuallyplayingthegame, and I dont think the council needs to agree to that one!  I think we can do phasing out of royal hand holding IC, as we go.

Council does need however to produce some squad leader though. While I volunteered to the military, I neither asked the council for military leadership role, nor willing to utilize my "mr actuallyplayingthegame" god-like role to just usurp one.
And since I have almost all of my free OOC thinking capacity is committed to inventing  how to make a multi-player RPG from a single-player rogue-like strategy, I would really be happy to give someone else an ability to earn the glory of a great general :)

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 17, 2013, 02:43:56 pm »

Just read the early post on influence rules, seems perfectly convoluted for our needs. Good work  :). After this post I intend to spend the next few hours (I exaggerate) trying to figure out exactly how to use it.

In order to describe Kerods character, is it allright if I post a list of his priorities and concerns? I could probably also list which dwarves would have his ear regarding council issues.

Now, on to the things I missed earlier:

Neblime Inkydances (+10) Acclaims Urist Mcdwarf (+2)
Agrees: 1
Disagrees: 0

Friends, I'm sure you all remember the terrible trial we went through when those damned goblins arrived.  But do you remember the courage of one single dwarf, in the face of potential injury or death, he remembered he had a job to do!  He was not deterred by the axe swings of those cowards, nor by the regrettable, heroic and lamented death of kib Ilunudib.  He left the rest of you cowering in the hall so he could complete, so he went ahead and created the scintillating cobra in the heat of battle, so that one of us might sleep comfortably!  So perhaps when you lowly peasants see him walking by, you should avert your eyes, or get out of his way! 
Who among you agrees?

Yea, such good work should be rewarded with praise. Though should we also spare a thought for the dead soldier who fought against the evil menace? What is the state of his remains, how has he been memorialised?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:03:53 pm by kero42 »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 60