Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 85411 times)

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2013, 12:03:59 pm »

Even though I am not a council member, nor even a dwarf, I agree with the idea of arming all dwarves, but I would also like to ask for the proper buryal and memoralisation of the brave souls that were lost in the battle. Though that kitten died, he sacrificed himself to distract the goblins and lead them away from the goblin leader. The kitten must be given a proper memorial (slab?) so that his heroics are not forgotten.

Also, I would like to suggest the construction of a safe-house for the safe-keeping of all children, civilians, pets and cats/kittens to be used during seiges. It can also store vital supplies such as food and beer.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2013, 12:27:02 pm »

I would assume any shelter would work for that (LongHall basement, children asylum, Kerod's eventual mansion, Senate, Temple...). Basically anything that would have high-quality doors and at least some food stockpiles.

That makes sense, the long-hall is already constructed and has most of the supplies.

Have not heard any proposals and/or plans yet. Maybe Kerod has a plan?

Not at the moment. Nothing solid or worth considering at this point anyway

We are not currently out of anything particular, so no need to ruin some merchant's day in my opinion. The current list nailed to the
bookkeeper's door reads:
"1.
SOAP! so many wounded...
Traction benches.
Splints, crutches.
2. Copper. Bronze. Coffins. Caskets. Slabs.
3. Armor. Weapons.
4. Clothes.
5. Backpacks and waterskins.
6. Glass, windows.
7. blocks. mechanisms"

Fair enough, it's good to keep track of our needs.

Even though I am not a council member, nor even a dwarf, I agree with the idea of arming all dwarves, but I would also like to ask for the proper buryal and memoralisation of the brave souls that were lost in the battle. Though that kitten died, he sacrificed himself to distract the goblins and lead them away from the goblin leader. The kitten must be given a proper memorial (slab?) so that his heroics are not forgotten.

Also, I would like to suggest the construction of a safe-house for the safe-keeping of all children, civilians, pets and cats/kittens to be used during seiges. It can also store vital supplies such as food and beer.

As far as I'm concerned all opinions are useful for consideration, dwarfed participant or not. If we don't deal with the dead, they may rise to haunt us, and on top of all the other problems we have, we can't really afford that. Glad you pointed that out, I completely forgot to mention it  :). And I suppose the cat (whatever his name was) did his work, accidentally or not (Can we even memorialise cats? I usually bury my dead, so I wouldn't know).
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2013, 07:06:24 pm »

" I vote yay for the tier plan put forward by the royal liason and preparing a dedicated squad of peasants for defense.  I do hope that in future the idea of military patrols and training for council members will be revisited, perhaps when our settlement has grown to a point where the manual labour of the councilmen is no longer necessary for survival."
OOC
what are my skills/what labour am I normally doing?
also about the walls, I wasn't imagining anything vast, just something to surround the inner buildings (perhaps later when we have more developed ones) so that goblins couldn't come from all sides at once, and could be engaged in a few small gateways.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2013, 06:25:33 am »

From the files of Teledwarf Towntunnel, Senator, Royal Liaison, Overseer of "Gorgeadmired".
Personal file on Neblime Inkydance, Senator, Council Secretary.
Accomplishments Section:

* Started first farm in Gorgeadmired.
* Together with Firecrazy Purewalled risen first crops.
* Prepared first meal in Gorgeadmired.
* Assisted in cutting down the primal forest in Gorgeadmired.
* Has had a limited experience in wood processing.
* Organized our warehouse under the LongHall and provided first reports on the stockpiles status.
* Drafted -PROCLAMATION OF GOVERNANCE REDRESS OF THE SLICK MURK OF THE LUSTROUS TRADES- and participated in establishing of the current political system of Gorgeadmired.

Labor Skill appraisal section:
* Talented Grower
* Proficient Cook
* Competent Woodcutter, yet somewhat rusty
* Novice Carpenter, yet somewhat rusty
* Dubbling Record Keeper, worth mentioning because of associated accomplishments.

Military Skill appraisal section:
* Competent Archer
* Adequate Marksdwarf
* Dabbling Dodger
* Dabbling Fighter
* Dabbling Hammerdwarf

Relationships Section:

OOC:
While idea of stockade sounds appeasing - I was not able to design it in DF properly. So, what is a stockade, as opposed to proper wall? An unmanned piece of fortification that can stop an attacker for some time, and, if enhanced with the sharpened stakes and wolf traps - deal some minor damage to the hostiles.
The sharpened stakes part could be simulated by weapon traps, however a careful balance of weapon types, material, quality and mechanisms quality should be achieved. I estimate an enhanced stockade efficiency to be 10% of deaths, and another 30%-50% of varied injuries.
To achieve such a result we will need a thoroughly tested weapon traps efficiency in terms of clothed goblins injuries. Anyone wants to take initiative and perform such testing in their own forts?
The delay part is even harder to do properly. All I can think of now is this:
Code: [Select]
outside
.....^..........^......<-spaced ramps. upright spears can be placed in empty spaces
########################<--- wall with weapon traps on top
^..........^..........^.<-spaced ramps. upright spears can be placed in empty spaces
inside
This design can allow both adjustable delayed access (by adjusting spacing between ramps) and adjustable casualty ratings(by adjusting traps quality and quantity and spacing), but again it would require a thorough testing to do it "just right".
Otherwise we could build a really ineffective stockade(3-spaced ramps) and rebuild it after each combat to reflect our rising fortification expertise.
BTW: this is what fortification commissioner should be doing: analyzing possible options, proposing designs, doing testing...
Also a pity that we still do not have an Architect, so Royal Liaison have to design regular buildings as well:
Code: ("Basement") [Select]
#########
#######^#<-rump to surface
#######D#<-back door
#...###U#<-upwards stairs
#.......#####
#...........#
#########...#
#########...#
#############
back door allows access to delivery haulers who will bring food and booze
Code: ("House") [Select]
.......V.<-rump to surface
#####.###
#WWW###X#<-up/down stairs
DWWW#TT.#####
#WWWDcc.D.HH#
#########..F#
........#BBF#
........#####
Workshop, personal bedroom for a family, and a dining room. few extra spaces to put something nice, like statues or armour/weapon stands.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2013, 07:17:12 am »

OOC
thanks for all the information, way more than I was hoping for :D
I like the idea of slowly improving a stockade over time, and a little mound of dirt topped by weapon traps with 1 wooden spear each isn't really that formidable at all, but again, I think that kind of thing can wait until we're a bit more established. 
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2013, 12:17:47 pm »

OOC
thanks for all the information, way more than I was hoping for :D
I like the idea of slowly improving a stockade over time, and a little mound of dirt topped by weapon traps with 1 wooden spear each isn't really that formidable at all, but again, I think that kind of thing can wait until we're a bit more established.

Seconded.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2013, 02:53:49 pm »

Flash update:
Summer went quiet. Humans came and we traded loads of worn clothes and sub-masterwork wooden items.
We ran out of lumber, we have one dedicated lumberjack, but he is not an overachiever...
All 8 hospitalized dwarves got better. some are having infection though. Let's hope that they will clean themselves regularly enough not to die of gangrene.
Senators are training 24/7 right now. They received iron bolts.
Another artifact: a glass drum. How can it possibly work? I guess it is one of those fancy designer ideas...
Spoiler: "The Crimson Planets" (click to show/hide)
At least we have our settlement mentioned on the artwork.

We are now building a hospital(Longhall is a Longhall once again.)
Armor is next on the list.

Edit: And our proud nation does not do High Boots. I am quite disappointed... Looks like we will have more one-legged dwarves then I would like.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 03:02:19 pm by TeleDwarf »

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2013, 06:42:01 pm »

Lol, a glass drum, sounds very pretty, I wonder who built it, :P. Lets hope for a more useful one next time, though I agree that it is nice to have our settlement mentioned in an artifact. At least we have something of value to hide from the kobolds (who I hope are still alive, It would be a shame for the little guys to die out.).

Glad to hear things are going  (somewhat) well.

I hope the others survive, we can't really afford to lose too many of them.

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2013, 01:16:24 pm »

Hey, this looks fun!  I'd be in for participating.  It looks like the council is full, but I'd be interested in a miner - the quarry overseer if you will...

Perhaps a strong fella.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2013, 08:55:44 pm »

Perhaps you can petition the council for such a position, migrant. Of course you will need to provide strong arguments if you hope to be anything but a labourer!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:58:34 pm by neblime »

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2013, 05:43:25 am »

I'm not against earning my stripes.  So, if the council sees fit, whichever dwarf has the highest mining skill of the next migrant wave?

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2013, 06:59:35 am »

Welcome ColdBones,
I have updated the OP with year 128. If council has any questions about current status or recommendations on how we proceed - shoot.
Regarding government privileges:
I will try to make a move(1,2,3 or 4 seasons) during weekends, giving us weekdays for discussion and decision. I will eventually update OP with this decision. Weekdays can be used to develop your characters, so that I know how will they react to the things that will happen to them on weekends - during DF sessions.
It would be great if you could create a single post for your character , in which you could maintain everything that is relevant to that character decision-making. This would be a great place for me and other players to consult character personality if anything happens during the session or whatever. Kind of like a character sheet in DnD.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2013, 08:10:01 am »

Well, I think I'll wait until someone else posts something like that so I know exactly what's expected and how to organize it properly, but I do have one (yet another long reaching and currently irrelevant) question:

Should we reserve space for large constructions/town areas now, or just use whatever space is avaialble when we get to it?

I just looked at the whole map zoomed out for the first time, and it's huge. Thus, I have split up the major areas as I see them, so we can discuss what to do with them, if anything at all:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have no particular ideas, just wondering what you lot think. Any of these spaces could probably be used for huge residential areas, or other such things. On the plus side, I doubt we will ever run out of space  :).

PS: I only included the nearby green areas, but I just realized that I missed a few areas (and to be honest, i have to get going somewhere rather soon, and can't really spare the time to fix the image.)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2013, 08:17:48 am »

I suggest to make B, C, D and E residential area's, with the area in the center of them being used for forges, tanners, etc. I'd then make A the dining room with lots of mist generators. I doubt we'd ever need so much residential space, but the goal is to make this a metropolis, so it should be capable of supporting dozens of people if necessary.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2013, 09:45:20 am »

Section A should become a cat sanctuary and temple to Armok. Maybe it could also house the military, prisoners and arena. It could be a well fortified place to retreat to when things go sour.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 60