Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: A Dance with Ice and Fire  (Read 29684 times)

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Dance with Ice and Fire
« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2014, 11:52:55 am »

Dammit GRRM why you leave warlocks vague.
Well, they do have illusion magic.

Yes, I have a skill tree in mind but that'll have to wait.

First I need to finish terrain generation for good then think of game-play mechanics. :-\

Right now I'm only missing foliage and terrain type selection (terrain type interpolation between different biomes, e.g. sand, dirt, snow) and perhaps I'll do something special for seas, lakes and rivers.
A Dance With Ice and Fire
An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

Lucidvizion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2014, 04:54:28 pm »

Are you planning on supporting multiplayer?  If not, I can't see any reason to keep the curses renderer around.  The ability to playing in a terminal is a 'nice to have' feature but not if it's actually hampering the development of the game itself.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2014, 05:07:48 pm »

Are you planning on supporting multiplayer?  If not, I can't see any reason to keep the curses renderer around.  The ability to playing in a terminal is a 'nice to have' feature but not if it's actually hampering the development of the game itself.

Yeah, I reached the same conclusion last week, so I'll be adding multiplayer separately at a later stage. It will require a dedicated server and will be quite demanding at that though.
An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

Bersu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 08, 2014, 05:55:24 pm »

I see no one has commented on this for quite a while! What is the status of the project, voodoo?

I have myself dreamed of coding a ASOIAF roguelike, but it seems like you are well ahead and have some very good implementations and ideas! I am just a dabbler at coding and never gotten past tutorials, still the idea pops up to my mind sometimes. I used to had boatload of ideas for this kind of RL and I really like your idea of combining URW, DF and ADOM, my all time favorite RL's as well!  :)

One thing I see you discussed alot here is the 2.5D or 3D implementation in ASCII, which also was a big brainer for me to visualize. Personally I never tought of making any player or NPC entity/creature multiple Z levels (much less humans), but I always tought dragons would warrant a horizontally multiple tiles, since full-grown they are described as HUGE. So my vision of "3D" implementation is pretty much the same when it comes to terrain/buildings (lower tiles are darker, show 3 layers all the time), but when it comes to creatures I always envisioned them as being 1-tile-flat in the game engine/representation sense.

So in game mechanics terms humans and dragons are all equally tall/high, but dragons would be wider/horizontally much bigger. In this vision I would propably present giants as same as humans, altough harder to kill etc. and mammoths the same way as dragons since mammoths are also horizontally big. Same applies to wagons etc. What do you people think of this approach? I think it would simplify things alot, since there arent too many abnormally large creatures in ASOIAF lore, altough it would not be as physically realistic. Dont know too much about coding problems this could conjure, so please educate me on that.

P.S. Also be mindful of GRRM's pretty hostile attitude towards fan fiction and creations. There is some kind of text-based fan roleplay multiplayer thingy out there, wich is GRRM blessed. Other than that all games I have found are full sanctioned commercials. http://badassdigest.com/2013/11/14/george-rr-martin-fuck-your-fan-fiction/
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 06:03:14 pm by Bersu »

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 09, 2014, 01:15:46 am »

I see no one has commented on this for quite a while! What is the status of the project, voodoo?

Hey!

The project is currently on hold, since I was offered a commercial contract and I really need to pay my bills somehow. :)
No need to worry though! Can't say I enjoy working with databases so much, so I'm most definitely coming back once I'm done with this contract.

I have myself dreamed of coding a ASOIAF roguelike, but it seems like you are well ahead and have some very good implementations and ideas! I am just a dabbler at coding and never gotten past tutorials, still the idea pops up to my mind sometimes. I used to had boatload of ideas for this kind of RL and I really like your idea of combining URW, DF and ADOM, my all time favorite RL's as well!  :)

Thanks, it's a bit too big to boot, but I know my limits. So long I add the features incrementally, nothing is too difficult. You should use that same approach when you start coding as well. Small steps can go a long way.

One thing I see you discussed alot here is the 2.5D or 3D implementation in ASCII, which also was a big brainer for me to visualize. Personally I never tought of making any player or NPC entity/creature multiple Z levels (much less humans), but I always tought dragons would warrant a horizontally multiple tiles, since full-grown they are described as HUGE. So my vision of "3D" implementation is pretty much the same when it comes to terrain/buildings (lower tiles are darker, show 3 layers all the time), but when it comes to creatures I always envisioned them as being 1-tile-flat in the game engine/representation sense.

So in game mechanics terms humans and dragons are all equally tall/high, but dragons would be wider/horizontally much bigger. In this vision I would propably present giants as same as humans, altough harder to kill etc. and mammoths the same way as dragons since mammoths are also horizontally big. Same applies to wagons etc. What do you people think of this approach? I think it would simplify things alot, since there arent too many abnormally large creatures in ASOIAF lore, altough it would not be as physically realistic. Dont know too much about coding problems this could conjure, so please educate me on that.

I honestly haven't settled on a solution for this yet, but I'm leaning towards multi-celled entities, it's harder to code but it would make things so much better in the long run.. Besides, it would make big constructs like ships and sails a breeze in the future.

P.S. Also be mindful of GRRM's pretty hostile attitude towards fan fiction and creations. There is some kind of text-based fan roleplay multiplayer thingy out there, wich is GRRM blessed. Other than that all games I have found are full sanctioned commercials. http://badassdigest.com/2013/11/14/george-rr-martin-fuck-your-fan-fiction/

I'm quite aware of George's brazen hostility towards fan fiction, but it's mainly towards fan-fic writers who'd like to turn ASOIF into their erotic literature playground, and not for the lack of said content in the original novels. :D

I plan on informing him of the existence of the game once there's actually something playable. So there's nothing to worry about until then. If he doesn't like it, I can turn it into something else entirely.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 09, 2014, 01:37:48 am »

Yeah, if for some reasons he decide to forbid you from using his IP, you can just change the setting to a generic medieval one. The real coolness is in all the feature you're adding. :)

BTW, what will be the place of sex in your game, given what you've just said?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 09, 2014, 06:03:40 am »

If we have dragons we must have sex.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 09, 2014, 06:26:11 am »

Just a brief PSA. Please do not try to have sex with the dragons. We understand the confusion, but that's not what the 'dragon breeding programme' is about. It's a health hazard and they are an endangered species with a fragile psyche. Again, that's "no" to sex with dragons. Thank you for understanding.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #203 on: May 09, 2014, 06:48:05 am »

Hot damn, no wonder I missed this--I'm happy it was "necroed," if that's what we may call it.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 09, 2014, 09:09:26 am »

I think I'll refrain from adding sex for the foreseeable future.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 09, 2014, 12:25:05 pm »

Yay, no Gregor antics.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Bersu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 10, 2014, 05:26:24 pm »

This is an article with good toughts on 3D roguelike developement: http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Third_dimension_in_an_ASCII-based_roguelike#3D_Roguelikes

Have you given tought to the problem point #3 - 3D raycasting/FOV? I havent been coding in a while so cannot really say much, but that is important to think about if you want to implement a realistic FOV style game. In my opinion realistic FOV would suit the idea of your game. After all, ASOIAF realm is cruelly realistic :D.

Other thing to think about is "fog of war" and revealing areas trought exploration/discovery. I would like to see important and well known places like kings landing, winterfell, casterly rock etc modelled as unchanging maps and then it would be necessary to hide places player have not seen (like hidden passages in red keep).

Lastly I want to ask you how massive features have you even tought about implementing? I have visioned a RL game with full blown sieges of castles and building pretty much anything DF style. Is making any structure destroyable even feasible? (collapsing the titan of bravos -structure or the wall, anyone?)  8)

Food for tought, lets keep the discussion running!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 05:39:51 pm by Bersu »

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 10, 2014, 06:11:37 pm »

This is an article with good toughts on 3D roguelike developement: http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Third_dimension_in_an_ASCII-based_roguelike#3D_Roguelikes

Have you given tought to the problem point #3 - 3D raycasting/FOV? I havent been coding in a while so cannot really say much, but that is important to think about if you want to implement a realistic FOV style game. In my opinion realistic FOV would suit the idea of your game. After all, ASOIAF realm is cruelly realistic :D.

Yes, I have already got a system in mind. Dynamic lighting is a part of it.

Other thing to think about is "fog of war" and revealing areas trought exploration/discovery.

All cells are hidden by default unless they're in direct contact with a non-solid or a partially solid cell. (cells can have any number of 'components' inside of them, including solids, liquids, gasses, items, furniture, etc., and pressure is already accounted for) I'm going to implement dynamic lighting as well. The 'seen' flag is a per cell boolean that's toggled once the cell has been exposed, but even if the cell has been seen, if it's not in the character's direct POV it will be greyed out and have its items/entities hidden from view.

I would like to see important and well known places like kings landing, winterfell, casterly rock etc modelled as unchanging maps and then it would be necessary to hide places player have not seen (like hidden passages in red keep).

Same will go for the overview map, places not yet discovered will be hidden unless you've heard about them, in which case they'll still be hidden but the general area will be marked on the map.

Lastly I want to ask you how massive features have you even tought about implementing? I have visioned a RL game with full blown sieges of castles and building pretty much anything DF style.

Well, I have the urge to implement EVERYTHING. Alas, that's not feasible, so I'll pick what features I like and add them incrementally. When the engine is designed to support as much as possible from the start then adding stuff is going to be much simpler, and that's my philosophy.

I generalise every possible aspect of my code to allow for reuse and to avoid refactoring later. So the end result is "layers" of code that depend on isolated components to function, all of which are independent and strictly defined.

About the sieges, well, I'm not sure about the political map yet. I might add that in, I may not. I'm still not sure. But the scripting interface will be very verbose and that stuff can be added through it with minimal changes to the base code.

Is making any structure destroyable even feasible? (collapsing the titan of bravos -structure or the wall, anyone?)  8)

Food for tought, lets keep the discussion running!

Every cell has a 'fixed' boolean flag that turns on automatically at worldgen if the cell has a certain percentage of solids, this flag will be flipped when you dig or something explodes or destroys terrain near it (giant blows will deform terrain for example) and the cell will join the physics simulation as soon as exposed. This will allow for things like structural integrity to be implemented correctly.

Collapsing the wall would be a feat though. If your machine can handle it that is.

Bersu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 10, 2014, 06:59:02 pm »

Collapsing the wall would be a feat though. If your machine can handle it that is.

Yeah :D, isnt it quite funny that a simple looking ASCII game might bring modern computers to its knees? Obviously memory space is one thing big time RL's can take up. By the way what language are you conding this in? I have mainly used Python myself, since its very easy to learn, powerful and has libtcod support too. Dont know if Python is as feasible for a big project like this as C++ is..

On another note have you tought about how to make sneaking work? One of the main things I have visioned for this kind of game is playing as a Faceless Man or some other assasin. It would bring re-playability and versatility in a world full of hack and slash action. Then one (or no-one, lol) could just take hitman jobs or make up their own, avoiding direct combat and wreaking havoc. This would be even more meaningful if player could influence the outcome of conflicts and balance of the realm with a well placed arrow, meaning that there would have to be some kind of on-going background action in the realm without direct player input.

Making the engine allow implementing many different playing styles would certainly make the game epic and extremely re-playable. If I remember correctly you tought about making elders scroll kind of skill based system so that player gets better in things he uses and I like the idea. Coupled with feats selected at the beginning like "natural swordsman (Jaime)", "agility of a cat (Bronn/Arya/Syrio)" or "big and strong (Glegane brothers)" the system could give that potential edge to make the player char legendary in the realm, if the player so wants.

Crafting skills are nice for the players who want to make their own stuff, altough warrior smiths are pretty rare in the books and so realistically it should take a long time to develop any skill to good level. Gendry is the only one that comes to mind and he isnt a trained warrior, just strong because of work and heritage. Also implementing a economy system could allow players to play the game to accumulate wealth and hire others to do the fighting for you, like sellswords and assasins. Ofcourse that would be another huge aspect of the game if made well and interesting enough to actually be enjoyable playing option.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 10, 2014, 07:32:56 pm »

The game is written in C++. I chose it for speed and its excellent support for multithreading (I'm using boost and a custom thread pool and cooperative coroutine scheduler I wrote for this). It can literally pause functions mid-call and resume them on a different core, and I use this extensively for terrain generation.

Sneaking will be a bit complex, unlike Unreal World and some other games, if someone discovers you while you're stalking someone else you won't go out of sneaking, you'll just be exposed to that person, and if they choose to expose you, you'll also be discovered by whomever they warn.

And that leads to the passage of information, which will be strict. You'll never be called a thief if you've never been discovered. You might be suspected and accused though. If you murder someone in the wilderness the information will never spread unless you've been observed by a third party, or a certain priest has seen it in a fire perhaps. :D

This is essential for playing an assassin, and as a faceless man you could shrug off the infamy with a certain trick.

Skills will be a complex matter as well, as a Bram Stoker once said: "we learn from failure not from success". Failure will reward you more than success, the reward will depend on your previous experience and state of mind (stress can impede learning). This will hopefully alleviate grinding and make attaining higher levels in skills more difficult but not lower ones. (making a nail is easier than making plate armour)

You can learn any skill. So you can have the warrior smith (Seven preserve us :P), with the exception of a couple of innate abilities that I won't mention right here. (I hate spoilers)

How you learn them is the question, will someone teach you? Will you observe and learn? Read a book? Talk over the basics with an inmate while you rot away in a prison cell? Your pick.

Hiring others for gold will be not only be possible, but essential for some tasks.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15