Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: A Dance with Ice and Fire  (Read 29725 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: A Dance with Ice and Fire
« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2014, 09:33:44 am »

I prefer ramps, but this works too. But how are you going to differentiate between slopes and stairs? You can't push a wagon up stairs.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 04, 2014, 09:43:18 am »

I prefer ramps, but this works too. But how are you going to differentiate between slopes and stairs? You can't push a wagon up stairs.

Stairs are structures, and as such they have a separate representation (an anchored object basically), if a wagon is being pushed it'll trigger a script and that script can then decide whether or not it's allowed to move to the tile or not based on what it finds there.

It's all very modular and you can even have multiple structures or any other combination of objects/materials/entities inside a single cell.

Edit: Here's a better screenshot of the no-ramps concept:

A Dance With Ice and Fire
An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 04, 2014, 09:46:40 am »

That sounds good to me. Are we going to have lifts? (Rope, pulley and platform it's attached to.)

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 04, 2014, 09:48:46 am »

That sounds good to me. Are we going to have lifts? (Rope, pulley and platform it's attached to.)

That's a requirement for The Wall, so yes.
An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 04, 2014, 09:49:43 am »

Awesome. As well as climbing with pick axe/rope?

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 04, 2014, 09:52:00 am »

Yeah, and special climbing shoes with hooks if you're a Wildling and start with a special scenario.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 04, 2014, 09:53:11 am »

So gonna become the King of Westeros as a Wildling the first chance I get.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2014, 09:56:15 am »

Okkay, I think I made it look better by changing tile adjacency rules, now walls will be visible if they have at least one adjacent floor tile.

So gonna become the King of Westeros as a Wildling the first chance I get.

Good luck with that, won't be easy at all.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 04, 2014, 10:04:48 am »

Good luck with that, won't be easy at all.
Wonder if I can genocide the entire continent with a crew of five Wildling badasses. Hey, if we go far enough north, will we run into White Walkers? I know you said that this wouldn't be the same time period as the books/show, but they'd still be up there somewhere, right?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 04, 2014, 10:14:24 am »

Exactly. May take some getting used to if you're used to DF adventure mode, but it look good to me.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 04, 2014, 10:16:27 am »

Wonder if I can genocide the entire continent with a crew of five Wildling badasses. Hey, if we go far enough north, will we run into White Walkers? I know you said that this wouldn't be the same time period as the books/show, but they'd still be up there somewhere, right?

TBD -- It's much too early to say. I haven't even added entities yet and I don't like to speculate. :)

If I do add them, you'll wish I hadn't. *spoilers*

Exactly. May take some getting used to if you're used to DF adventure mode, but it look good to me.

Yeah, I'm the one coding it and I still can't fully get my head around it. But it'll hopefully work out.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 04, 2014, 10:23:29 am »

Ooops, actually I posted after seeing the last post last page. I like the second wall rendition much better. Could you post a video of the no-ramp version maybe?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 04, 2014, 11:03:26 am »

Ooops, actually I posted after seeing the last post last page. I like the second wall rendition much better. Could you post a video of the no-ramp version maybe?

Here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27714141/ADWIF-no-ramps.webm

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 04, 2014, 11:30:15 am »

It sure look good to me, maybe just make your feet's z-level a tad darker so as to have more contrast between it and z+1. Out of curiosity, what was this big teal area at the end of the video? A chasm?

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 04, 2014, 11:39:32 am »

It sure look good to me, maybe just make your feet's z-level a tad darker so as to have more contrast between it and z+1. Out of curiosity, what was this big teal area at the end of the video? A chasm?

Good idea.

And no, it was a chunk that didn't generate in time (I'm using a cooperative scheduler to generate tiles in the background across different threads). My recording software was eating CPU like crazy. :)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15