Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: A Dance with Ice and Fire  (Read 29741 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: A Dance with Ice and Fire
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2013, 04:07:31 pm »

Definitely going to fork this and mull over it. I love what you're doing here mate, keep it up.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2013, 04:54:00 am »

Thanks, if you need any help with the source just let me know and I can give you a tour.
A Dance With Ice and Fire
An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2013, 04:56:12 pm »

Sorry about the radio silence, I was going through a LASIK procedure last week and I couldn't see well enough to code. Still working on the sight department but at least I can see well enough to make out letters now. :D

And I'm working on terrain generation again. What do you guys think? Old/classic ramps or wide/smooth ones like this?

These are much faster to generate, since I don't have to check for adjacency rules, all it takes is some floating-point magic and there you have it.. they'd also play a part in physics (parabolic projectiles, bounce, etc) when the time comes. But I'm not certain of the way they look. (Doh! :) )

By the way, sorry about any typos, the letters are still a bit fuzzy.

Edit: Oh, and merry Christmas!
An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2013, 05:04:51 pm »

Maybe a change in shading might make them look better?

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2013, 05:10:25 pm »

Maybe a change in shading might make them look better?

I would, but the palette is very limited. :|
Even with libtcod (graphics), I'm still keeping the curses (legacy) renderer, and to keep things consistent I can't add more shades.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2013, 05:15:02 pm »

I can't wait, On a related topic my brother in law got me all the books.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2013, 05:24:51 pm »

Bah, I managed to get one signed a few weeks back!

*extremely proud of self for this*

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2013, 12:26:33 am »

Nice! I'm envious.. had to read the 3rd one online because my copy got mauled on the way over.

You lucky bastard! Did you ask George to hurry up by any chance? :D

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2013, 12:28:52 am »

Nice! I'm envious.. had to read the 3rd one online because my copy got mauled on the way over.

You lucky bastard! Did you ask George to hurry up by any chance? :D
Bit too shellshocked by hearing him read two chapters from the next book at his panel. :D

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2013, 12:41:42 am »

Bit too shellshocked by hearing him read two chapters from the next book at his panel. :D

Okay, now I'm extremely jealous. I wish the books were popular enough here for him to come over. ::)

But moving back on, I still haven't gotten enough input on the subject of ramps. I really need more people to speak their mind about it to make up my own. To all of you lurking, shame! Give me ideas damn it!

I'm not sure how the smooth ramps would react to liquids though.. I just thought about it and now my head got restless again.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2013, 04:23:07 pm »

I'd have the ramp count as half the liquid of the adjacent spaces.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2013, 04:44:05 pm »

I'd have the ramp count as half the liquid of the adjacent spaces.

That would complicate fluid simulation tenfold though.

Right now I have a "level" field for each liquid tile. A number ranging from 0 to 1. This will be used for fluid simulation in the future and is ignored for normal (dry) tiles, but with smooth ramps I was thinking it could represent how slanted a ramp is.

But what happens if a ramp has liquid over it? Should I just add another value and store it there? Or make it a combined value for the tile's volume, where 1 is fully solid and 0 is fully liquid/air.

That's what I'm trying to figure out at the moment. If I go with the second approach I'd have to store what type of liquid is there as well as what type of solid, instead of assigning the liquid as a distinct material. Liquid tiles with ramps are currently treated as normal (solid) ramps.

My brain hurts. :-\

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2013, 04:55:24 pm »

What about giving each tile two sets of information - a solid set and a liquid/gas set. So a slope could show .5 soil and .5 air or .4 mud and .6 water or whatever.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2013, 05:30:42 pm »

What about giving each tile two sets of information - a solid set and a liquid/gas set. So a slope could show .5 soil and .5 air or .4 mud and .6 water or whatever.

That's precisely what I'm trying to avoid. Right now only unique cells are stored in a dynamic "hash bank", where each cell is referenced by a 64bit hash. If I add that it will increase the complexity of the hash which might cause hash collisions in the future.

There's a multitude of solutions with a multitude of pros and cons, I'll have to pick one very carefully.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2013, 04:37:22 pm »

So why not have each cell be an object with multiple attributes? Keeps the hash clean, and you can just reference the Solid and Liquid/Gas attributes as needed.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15