Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: A Dance with Ice and Fire  (Read 29748 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: A Dance with Ice and Fire
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2013, 12:22:25 pm »

Both perlin noise and interpolated heightmaps should have no edges. Though I must admit that I don't know how bicubic interpolation works.

What is causing the edges? Are you adding some amount of height depending on the biome, or multiplying by something?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 12:25:06 pm by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2013, 02:45:29 pm »

Both perlin noise and interpolated heightmaps should have no edges. Though I must admit that I don't know how bicubic interpolation works.

What is causing the edges? Are you adding some amount of height depending on the biome, or multiplying by something?

My attempts at interpolating the terrain type, I'm trying different methods right now.
A Dance With Ice and Fire
An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2013, 07:13:05 pm »

Depending on what sort of math-y stuff you need, I could help. I'm horrible at programming, though, so don't expect much more than semi-running pseudo-code.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2013, 11:06:05 pm »

Depending on what sort of math-y stuff you need, I could help. I'm horrible at programming, though, so don't expect much more than semi-running pseudo-code.

Thanks! I'm currently trying to apply this instead of bicubic interpolation, since it might be faster and operates on 3x3 matrices. Sadly no sources are provided and I'm terrible at deciphering the math jargon..

Edit: Never mind, I found a MATLAB sample at the bottom of the page, at least that's something to work with.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:14:26 am by voodooattack »
An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2013, 03:03:51 pm »

New screenshot of terrain generation.. I think I have chasms covered.

I'm currently working on a full game editor using Qt, it'll do wonders for city design.

One important bit of news is I discovered that DF tilesets work with my game with little modification, that's one such tileset in the screenshot above. I plan to make it support them out of the box. (except the ones for modified raws, although if you modify ADWIF's data files as well it could work in theory)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2013, 03:05:54 pm »

This is looking just beautiful.

I just booted up the copy of the Game of Thrones PC game (the big fancy 3d one) which I got as part of a humble bundle a while back. Jesus, that game is horrible. Everything about it is just terrible. I spent 30 minutes wading through badly-voiced dialogue (during which time NOTHING HAPPENED) and watching all the graphics glitch before I gave up and uninstalled it.

After that, your game-in-progress is looking even more amazing than it did before.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2013, 03:13:50 pm »

Thanks, and that game I never touched. I figured it would just ruin the lore for me.
I kind of construct my own version of every novel in my head, characters, locations, etc. And when I watch them as shows, games, or any kind of visual representation that version collapses. That's why I prefer to keep my own version. Although in the case of GoT (the TV series) that didn't really happen for some odd reason. Maybe it was just that good.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2013, 03:21:09 pm »

I understand the feeling completely, although I've never gotten my hands on the books. I would like to, but English language books are not as easily obtainable in this country as I'd like.

In any case, your game is looking awesome, as others may have mentioned. Looking forward to watching it grow!

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2013, 05:29:46 am »

I understand the feeling completely, although I've never gotten my hands on the books. I would like to, but English language books are not as easily obtainable in this country as I'd like.

In any case, your game is looking awesome, as others may have mentioned.

I agree, I live in Egypt (and no, I'm actually Egyptian) and it's difficult to obtain such books here, I have to order them online, and even then they take too long to arrive or I have to go hunting for them at the post office.

Sorry if I seem unresponsive by the way. It takes a lot of concentration to code anything and I've been doing a lot of that lately.

Looking forward to watching it grow!

Well, here is some growth! :D

I've started implementing a full editor for the game (I told you mods were going to freak out!), the editor will support editing the map as well as items, scripts, and all kinds of data files.. I'm adding a dynamic terrain generation graph at the moment. Think of it as something that will allow modders to "define" how the terrain is generated to begin with.

That's the in-game map after being processed from a bitmap into vector polygons, each coloured part is called a region and the game detects them automatically, all the modder has to do is name them in the editor and they're set. The editor can then export the preprocessed map again to data files and the modder can redistribute them as preprocessed maps to users.

This will allow attaching all kinds of metadata to the regions, like temperatures, humidity, etc. Roads, cities, towns, and villages will also be created through the editor.

I never thought this game would turn into me writing a fully fledged GIS application, but there you have it. I overdo stuff.  :)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2013, 05:30:58 am »

*drools*

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2013, 04:10:13 pm »

Here's a very simplistic screenshot of the heightmap graph editor that I've been working on for the past week or so, which should be able to configure terrain height generation dynamically should a modder decide to use it. This doesn't scratch the surface of its capabilities.

This outputs JSON files, which can also be modified by hand to further customise them: (currently a little rough around the *floating-point* edges)

Code: [Select]
{
   "curve" : [
      [ -0.6984126984126984, -0.4750 ],
      [ -0.03174603174603186, 0.2000000000000002 ],
      [ 0.6031746031746030, 0.50 ],
      [ 0.8412698412698412, -0.3250 ]
   ],
   "module" : "Curve",
   "sources" : [
      {
         "frequency" : 0.050,
         "lacunarity" : 0.2300000000000001,
         "module" : "Perlin",
         "octaves" : 4,
         "persistence" : 0.210,
         "quality" : "standard",
         "seed" : 0
      }
   ]
}

.. and those are what the game will load to generate the terrain heights. :D

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2013, 01:35:45 am »

I like how you show how the program works.

Short post for now, will try to expound later when not rushing off to work (again).

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2013, 06:36:15 am »

Methinks you want to round off those nasty floating points.

I'm honestly not sure.. I'd rather have accuracy over readability, if they user decides to edit them later they can certainly round them off manually.

I like how you show how the program works.

Short post for now, will try to expound later when not rushing off to work (again).

Thank you, I'm usually verbose when it comes to project progress, something I picked up from weekly progress reports on commercial contracts.
But now that I'm free of that burden I find myself unable to rid myself of the habit. I'm glad you like this because I don't think I can stop even if I wanted to. :D

bertix

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is over-rated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2013, 07:08:39 am »

Well this looks swell, Id be glad to help out with math or tiny bits of code being okay in both but I'm not godly or anything, although I feel compelled to contribute to such an amazing project.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:34:09 am by bertix »
Set phasers to tsun.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2013, 09:24:45 am »

Well this looks swell, Id be glad to help out with math or tiny bots of code being okay in both but I'm not godly or anything, although I feel compelled to contribute to such an amazing project.

Thank you! if you feel like contributing go ahead and fork it, study the sources, and see what areas you can improve! I'm definitely open to constructive criticism and all kinds of contributions.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15