Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Dwarf who fled from home  (Read 934 times)

Zan Oltaridor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Dwarf who fled from home
« on: November 27, 2013, 01:48:10 pm »

Hello Everyone,
So i was just playing with my most succesful fort and was looking my over 300 dwarves running around in my fortress. It was a good feeling :D But then i came across my "Hall of Heros", where my favourite dwarfs got memorialized. I was reading and then suddenly i came across Mosus Oddomtangath's slab again. He was my first Armorsmith and his demise was very mysterious. He went missing. Curiosity struck me and i looked up on a backup save in Legends mode. And then i saw it. He fled, he fled from home. It reads there that in 134 he became a member of the "Hatch of Culminating" and then fled into the Hill of Trammeling...
What happened? He was not a baby or something. I never saw such a thing.
This thread is why I love dwarf fortress. We start at engravings of wagons and end up using necromancy to raise them from the dead, and were-wagons.
I jumped off a ramp in a cave and exploded.

Zan Oltaridor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarf who fled from home
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 02:09:46 pm »

Welp, as always Dwarf Fortress has a very black humor. I made a new backup and looked him up again.
He was encased in ice...As I read this sentence i feeled that DF was laughing at me... It was mocking me...and then i was laughing too and embraced DF and strolled with it arm-in-arm, towards the sunset...
This thread is why I love dwarf fortress. We start at engravings of wagons and end up using necromancy to raise them from the dead, and were-wagons.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 02:49:38 pm »

Maybe it does that when someone goes missing, but the game doesn't know what happened since no one notices they went missing?  Or maybe...that's all the further he got :D
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Zan Oltaridor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 03:46:16 pm »

Maybe it does that when someone goes missing, but the game doesn't know what happened since no one notices they went missing?  Or maybe...that's all the further he got :D
Oh no, no. I should have said that the backup i was looking at was an older backup where i abandoned the fort before he went missing.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 04:31:54 pm »

When you abandon a fortress, some dwarves will flee to another site, while others will stay there. It was like that back in 40d as well.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 05:39:15 pm »

When you abandon a fortress, some dwarves will flee to another site, while others will stay there. It was like that back in 40d as well.
what happens to the ones who stay there though? I've never found any dwarves in an abandoned fort in adv mode.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 06:57:24 pm »

what happens to the ones who stay there though? I've never found any dwarves in an abandoned fort in adv mode.

Then you haven't gone their quickly enough--they'll stay there. One of my earliest posts was about me having found a Genesis Mod psychiatrist that I had appointed in dorf mode. He worshiped suicide and asked me to consider it. I realized that I made a bad choice for psychiatrist.