Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is it not an outrage that the board lacks bespectacled smilies, old sport?

Indeed. It is most saddening.
- 57 (47.1%)
I think not. It would be most stereotypical and generic.
- 20 (16.5%)
I do not believe the issue to be of importance.
- 44 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: The Proper Topic for Dapper Gentry  (Read 12352 times)

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Proper Topic for Dapper Gentry
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2013, 06:59:23 pm »

Yo dudes. Wazzup?

No, that's incorrect. Yo is a singular personal pronoun. You (singular, cannot be be dudes plural. "Yo dude" (I am a dude) would be correct. As would "tu dudes" (you are dudes.)

But, grammar aside, thank you for the compliment. As gentlemen, and, I suppose in my case as a tophat-wearing unicorn, gentlemare, we are indeed well dressed. That being the original meaning of the word dude, which is a derivative of dandy. Dandy, of course being a word that you yanks would recognize from your song, "yankee doodle dandy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dude

"In the popular press of the 1880s and 1890s, "dude" was a new word for "dandy" – an extremely well-dressed male, a man who paid particular importance to how he appeared. The café society and Bright Young Things of the late 1800s and early 1900s were populated with dudes."

Cheerio.
Let me correct you.
"Yo dude", would translate to "me dude". "Yo soy un/una dude" would be "I am a dude".
In that same maner, "tu dudes" makes no sense. "Tu", you see, means you in singular. "Ustedes" is you, plural. Therefore, it should be "ustedes son dudes".
Unless, of course, you live in Spain, where it would be "Vosotros sois dudes"

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2013, 01:50:18 pm »

I do believe you fine gentlemen will find this of interest and use. I have found many of my acquaintances sorely lacking when it comes to proper etiquette, and I hope our combined efforts shall see improvement in the great masses.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2013, 05:13:46 pm »

The Waddle Dee finishes his crumpet-Which is a tad unsettling sight, as it is swallowed by a being with no apparent mouth- and produces a sheet of paper, a bottle of ink, and a feather, which he puts over the table and then begins writing. After a moment, it shows the paper to everybody in the party:

The sheet of paper reads:

Gentlemen, I feel that we have incurred in a fault to our sacred code of conduct recently. After revising a copy of it, provided by one of the noble chaps currently enjoying this exquisite tea with us, I found that our actions in the recent events may be against our ideology. The rule which I do believe we have ignored recently is the following:

"21. Never notice it if others make mistakes in language. To notice by word or look such errors in those around you is excessively ill-bred."

Due to this recent turn of events I wholeheartedly suggest to revise our rules again so that we can exalt what distinguishes us as a group of people.

I have to add, too, that some of the chaps who were unjustifiable mocked upon deserve some kind of apology.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2013, 08:29:24 pm »

Would it be an apology if I forcefully de-hatted them with bullets? I wanna do that still.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2013, 08:46:14 pm »

With a smoothbore?

No thank you.

Gun of a Gentleman;
Accurate as throwing sand.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2013, 09:02:06 pm »

So...many...top hats...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2013, 09:03:19 pm »

So...many...top hats...
And where is yours, good fellow? Why, you have no image available at all.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2013, 09:08:30 pm »

Mostly because I don't want to bother getting one.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2013, 03:08:35 am »

I, too, have jumped on the bandwagon. Problem is, I can't exactly quote the thing in my avatar...well I could, but it would be stupid.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2013, 02:42:52 pm »

A hopefully foolish and unsuccessful notion, one must say. It would rather ruin things for everyone.
I am forcefully reminded, but has anyone seen Owlbread? I imagine he might be, erm, amused.
Yo dudes. Wazzup?

No, that's incorrect. Yo is a singular personal pronoun. You (singular, cannot be be dudes plural. "Yo dude" (I am a dude) would be correct. As would "tu dudes" (you are dudes.)

But, grammar aside, thank you for the compliment. As gentlemen, and, I suppose in my case as a tophat-wearing unicorn, gentlemare, we are indeed well dressed. That being the original meaning of the word dude, which is a derivative of dandy. Dandy, of course being a word that you yanks would recognize from your song, "yankee doodle dandy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dude

"In the popular press of the 1880s and 1890s, "dude" was a new word for "dandy" – an extremely well-dressed male, a man who paid particular importance to how he appeared. The café society and Bright Young Things of the late 1800s and early 1900s were populated with dudes."

Cheerio.
So, would "Y'all" be an effective replacement?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2013, 03:47:24 pm »

A fine good-day from the States to all of you gentlemen. I must say, I am pleasantly surprised by the by the high-brow discussions occurring on this forum, for I had believed them to be all but gone from quotidian conversation. Being that the issue regarding bespectacled smilies seems to have been rested for now, I believe a new issue of moment should be brought to the attention of Bay12's upper-crust. Does any man have a suggestion?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2013, 10:42:14 am »

Goodness gracious, I appear to be late to the party! Terribly, just terribly sorry about that. *lights cigar*
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2013, 12:00:02 pm »

I see not one claim of sovereignty in this thread existing beforehand or presently. Let me rectify this.

Now that we have settled any possible future conflicts over ownership, let the spices flow!
[Under the watch of His Dapperness the King of course].

On the topic of tea, sometimes you can't go wrong with a simple plain white.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2013, 12:09:05 pm »

I say, fellow chap named Loud Whisper, thou are high on opium.

* Haspen late to the party, but never too late for crumpets and Earl Grey.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2013, 12:13:14 pm »

Hm, well, tea might be all fine and dandy, but sometimes a gent's innards yearn for something stronger - what's the one true dapper alcoholic beverage? I'd say overpriced beer, but there's bound to be some disagreement.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10