Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What organism do you want to seed the world with?

Silicoln-based
- 8 (80%)
Hydrogen based
- 2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: God Of The Land  (Read 9665 times)

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: God Of The Land
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2013, 12:31:23 am »

Argon-based life forms.

My biology skills are crying, I'm trying to figure out how that could work...  ???
I can't work because argon does not react.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2013, 10:13:45 am »

I'm tired of reading your posts. Everyone else disagrees with you! Why can you not comprehend that?
Because you are wrong. Your assumption that people disagree with me is based on this idea that I specifically want carbon-based life, which I have never said, and despite saying that silicon-based life would be great and clearly stating that if people fully describe their ideas I would be willing to accept them!

I vote silicon/obsidian/steampunk/seas of molten rock.
...That is three separate and incompatible ideas. Plus seas of molten rock, which would be extremely unhealthy for two of them.

Argon-based life forms.
My biology skills are crying, I'm trying to figure out how that could work...  ???
It couldn't. Argon is a noble gas.

WE ARE A FUCKING GOD WE CAN WILL IT SO!
Hehe, fair enough.
Again, cheap and lazy. Different for the sake of being different.

HEY, GAMERLORD!
Argon-based life forms.
Argon-based life forms.
I can't work because argon does not react.
THESE TWO PEOPLE AGREE WITH ME!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2013, 10:15:30 am »

Argon-based life forms.
It couldn't. Argon is a noble gas.

[/quote]

That was your argument with the obsidian based life forms as well, that it's not possible. That is why we are voting. Quit it.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2013, 10:30:09 am »

Cool it, guys. No need to get... uncivil.

God-wise, GWG, you've missed my point. Norse mythology and Egyptian mythology, Indian mythology, Native American mythology, all of those have at least one thing in common: they have a pantheon. We don't. I'm not contesting there are goddess creation myths, just that most if not all of them have a pantheon to go with it. All the religions I've seen that have a single God have a male God. Yes, there are no evidence for any of them. People still believe anyway - that's part of my point. People will believe in all sorts of gods - i.e. not us, the actual one - unless we actively show ourselves as the actual. If we do miracles, people will just say it's their god that did it, and no one will change their mind.

Yes, Argon based lifeforms are silly, because if nothing else it's a gas at room temperature so it's probably still be a gas on a magma world.

Semi-natural von Neumann machines sound interesting, you have to admit, even if they need a bit of mana to get them functioning ok. Without even bacteria yet, we've got room to adjust and change it. I'm not demanding that players follow my ideas, merely encouraging it, and a few other players seem to agree.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2013, 11:08:33 am »

I never said we shouldn't hide our presence! Stop twisting my words and ignoring my explanations. I said that we should create a world which works without divine intervention, and that could be created without divine intervention, much like a painter paints a scene that looks like it would without artistic intervention (ie, a realistic one). We can then do miracles in it.

And I suspect that the fact that all monotheistic religions have a male god can be traced to the low number of independently-formed monotheistic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam have common roots), and perhaps to the misogynistic tendencies of many ancient societies..
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2013, 12:11:03 pm »

I never said we shouldn't hide our presence! Stop twisting my words and ignoring my explanations. I said that we should create a world which works without divine intervention, and that could be created without divine intervention, much like a painter paints a scene that looks like it would without artistic intervention (ie, a realistic one). We can then do miracles in it.

And I suspect that the fact that all monotheistic religions have a male god can be traced to the low number of independently-formed monotheistic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam have common roots), and perhaps to the misogynistic tendencies of many ancient societies..
+1 we could also place a magic (in that anyone can read it) book describing the creation of the world by us.

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2013, 12:17:11 pm »

It would probably have to change language depending on the reader.
Crack-a-lack-a

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2013, 06:04:42 pm »

It would probably have to change language depending on the reader.
Or it could force a moving picture into the minds of the reader/watcher. Just a thought.

EDIT: Also, I don't personally wish to get involved in this argument, GreatWyrmGold and Gamerlord, but there is a PM system instituted for a reason. I suggest you two use it and keep your personal feelings about each other private. Feel free to completely ignore this though.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 06:25:05 pm by Kaferian »

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2013, 06:31:08 pm »

Alright guys, come up with an action to take.

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2013, 06:44:32 pm »

As argon-based lifeforms has two votes while the others have only one, I propose that I change my vote to Hydrogen-based life forms and suggest that argon-based lifeforms be GM-vetoed and the remaining votes going towards it be counted as abstinence until the vote(s) in question are properly redistributed to another proposal.

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2013, 06:59:42 pm »

As argon-based lifeforms has two votes while the others have only one, I propose that I change my vote to Hydrogen-based life forms and suggest that argon-based lifeforms be GM-vetoed and the remaining votes going towards it be counted as abstinence until the vote(s) in question are properly redistributed to another proposal.
+1 because ill just roll with it.
Crack-a-lack-a

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2013, 08:00:20 pm »

I find your behaviour a bit bossy there, I hope you are not going to roll like this in the future. Personally I don't see what the fuss is all about, some are more into realism some want to create something different or exotic. To appease the ones unable to cope with strange argon-based creatures I would vote for Hydrogen-Based creatures, not necessarily because I feel it should be done, but more because I think we can still be mad unique. Also this will make it easier for the GM. I hope that the realism-squad can cope with hydrogen-based creatures unlike anything on earth though. I would definitly like to see some psycats or invisible monkeys...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2013, 08:12:08 pm »

As argon-based lifeforms has two votes while the others have only one...
Silicon-based lifeforms actually have a good bit of support. I support it, I think Gamerlord does, I'm pretty sure others do...

Also this will make it easier for the GM. I hope that the realism-squad can cope with hydrogen-based creatures unlike anything on earth though. I would definitly like to see some psycats or invisible monkeys...
Um, hydrogen can't work like that. It can only bond to one other atom. It will be important in any reasonably realistic form of life and many unrealistic one, but it won't be the "base" of anything except diatomic gases.
Sig

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2013, 08:14:01 pm »

What I'm going for as the GM is a semblance of realism. Silicon creatures would be fine, Argon would not be as logically Argon is a non-reactive gas. Invisible monkeys are okay. Hydrogen creatures, could potentially work.

In any case to make sure we get the proper amount of votes I'm opening up a poll.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2013, 10:25:11 am »

The poles have spoken!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10