Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What organism do you want to seed the world with?

Silicoln-based
- 8 (80%)
Hydrogen based
- 2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: God Of The Land  (Read 9674 times)

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
Re: God Of The Land
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2013, 09:04:41 pm »

Why not make the bacteria evolve somewhat rapidly so we can influence and hopefully get something good we didn't think of?
Crack-a-lack-a

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2013, 09:12:07 pm »

You guys could always plop down these silicon bacteria, go dormant for a bit, then come back and see what happened? *The sun wouldn't like being left that long though... O-class's have a tendency to burn out quickly* Of course that's all up for fate to decide. (AKA Random.org. :P )

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2013, 09:20:34 pm »

Yeah, and if we end up with the 20-man cult hiding in the woods that believes in us and no-one else? We'll get so much benefit from that. That is, of course, assuming that anyone actually worships us at all as "Alice the Mother Of All". Going off your method of looking at earthly religions those with a single god often see it as a male figure, rather than a mother. The rest typically are a pantheon, which we ain't. So yeah, not too much luck there unless we make it obvious. There's no benefit to hiding our presence. We don't have to be a nurturing mother. Think of fantasy gods - they exist, they do things, and are worshipped, but they aren't expected to step in a help their worshippers whenever they start crying.
Point is if some random lady walked into your town and told you she was god would you believe her? Not until she made a pillar of fire or something.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2013, 09:24:53 pm »

URRRRRRRRRG! Can we stop arguing and actually make something! Maybe crystal forests that produce mana, that would require about a billion years of waiting though.
How can we make stuff if we can't agree on what to make?

It's called compromising. You'd be surprised, it's not hard to do. This is a forum game about a collective consciousness of gods in some alternate universe where the laws of physics do not even apply (yet). It doesn't have to go by the book.

End thread derail here guys, its been almost 3 pages now since the argument started...
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2013, 11:56:52 pm »

The argument needs to end: GWG, just stop. If you'd read the posts you'd notice that your opinion is in a clear minority. Silicon life has carried the day. Get the fuck over it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2013, 12:08:47 am »

-snip-
Alright, time to break out the big guns.
There is no evidence that any god exists, and yet gods have followings in the billions. Even in the more educated sectors of the First World, where they have no excuse not to know that, people believing in these things usually outnumber those who do not. And if you'll notice, I have never said that we shouldn't do miracles, merely that the world not be composed of them. With that, we should be able to get the majority of the world worshiping us without needing to make everything work only because God loves you.
And I swear if one person rants at me about religion and atheism...

P.S. Female figures are pretty important in most religions. Norse mythology comes to mind. Many other mythologies, such as Egyptian and some Native American mythologies, have the creation of the world done by a goddess and not a god. Gender is no issue.

Creature wise, you tell me. You're presumably the scientist here. I would assume it moves through the same way we create things out of nothing.
And another thing: Just saying "A Wizard God Did It" is a lazy tool. I've been trying to avoid ferrying this argument, but seriously--it's lazy writing. I try to avoid it.

Maybe it has a series of gears and tension cords that mimic muscles. Maybe it's self assembling ,through mana-powered nanomachines or whatever. The point is, there are options. Maybe it's also silicon based like the bacteria so can form muscles and tissues.
Weren't you saying that it was metallic, not silicony?
And semi-natural von Neuman machines...hm...I'm still not sure what you're trying to propose, sadly.

What are your plans after the bacteria? Leave it at that? You're asking me to expand upon my plans, kindly do the same.
More life, although I don't have concrete plans as to what. I'm not the only player here; I'm open to other guys' plans, without demanding that others follow this plan I drew up a dozen turns ago be followed.

Really, my only protests are about the methods being used. It seems like divine hackwork, which is not something I'd imagine Alice doing.

Why not make the bacteria evolve somewhat rapidly so we can influence and hopefully get something good we didn't think of?
Or this.

Yeah, and if we end up with the 20-man cult hiding in the woods that believes in us and no-one else? We'll get so much benefit from that. That is, of course, assuming that anyone actually worships us at all as "Alice the Mother Of All". Going off your method of looking at earthly religions those with a single god often see it as a male figure, rather than a mother. The rest typically are a pantheon, which we ain't. So yeah, not too much luck there unless we make it obvious. There's no benefit to hiding our presence. We don't have to be a nurturing mother. Think of fantasy gods - they exist, they do things, and are worshipped, but they aren't expected to step in a help their worshippers whenever they start crying.
Point is if some random lady walked into your town and told you she was god would you believe her? Not until she made a pillar of fire or something.
So we make a pillar of fire when we reach that bridge.

URRRRRRRRRG! Can we stop arguing and actually make something! Maybe crystal forests that produce mana, that would require about a billion years of waiting though.
How can we make stuff if we can't agree on what to make?
It's called compromising. You'd be surprised, it's not hard to do. This is a forum game about a collective consciousness of gods in some alternate universe where the laws of physics do not even apply (yet). It doesn't have to go by the book.

End thread derail here guys, its been almost 3 pages now since the argument started...
You call it a derail, but it's our method of finding a compromise. A compromise where one guy just goes "Alright, you're right,let's do it your way" is terrible, in large part because it has and will never happen, in another large part because it isn't actually a compromise.

The argument needs to end: GWG, just stop. If you'd read the posts you'd notice that your opinion is in a clear minority. Silicon life has carried the day. Get the fuck over it.
And if you had read my posts, you would notice that I am fine with silicon-based life. It was the obsidian-based life and the stuff I was arguing against.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2013, 12:09:42 am »

I'm tired of reading your posts. Everyone else disagrees with you! Why can you not comprehend that?

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2013, 12:12:09 am »

* HissinhWalnuts tries to mute Gamerlord and GreatWyrmGold to stop them from arguing, unfortunately he cant do that.
Crack-a-lack-a

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2013, 12:13:54 am »

How about this; we take a vote on what type of life form. Majority wins, minority carries on with their day and we can stop this incessant nonsense from continuing.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2013, 12:15:01 am »

I vote silicon/obsidian/steampunk/seas of molten rock.

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2013, 12:17:08 am »

Argon-based life forms.

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2013, 12:19:07 am »

Argon-based life forms.

Seems neat so +1 not caring about the laws of physics AS WE ARE A FUCKING GOD!
Crack-a-lack-a

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2013, 12:28:07 am »

Argon-based life forms.

My biology skills are crying, I'm trying to figure out how that could work...  ???

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2013, 12:28:34 am »

WE ARE A FUCKING GOD WE CAN WILL IT SO!
Crack-a-lack-a

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2013, 12:29:30 am »

WE ARE A FUCKING GOD WE CAN WILL IT SO!