Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What organism do you want to seed the world with?

Silicoln-based
- 8 (80%)
Hydrogen based
- 2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: God Of The Land  (Read 9682 times)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: God Of The Land
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2013, 04:07:25 pm »

Silicon with photosynthesis if that would work.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2013, 04:13:30 pm »

How much mana would it cost to make the bacteria thrive from eating the soil, and their waste product would eventually produce a desert in which these organisms would thrive?

And I just noticed you sigged something I wrote, I feel so honoured :P
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2013, 04:16:39 pm »

How much mana would it cost to make the bacteria thrive from eating the soil, and their waste product would eventually produce a desert in which these organisms would thrive?

And I just noticed you sigged something I wrote, I feel so honoured :P

The biologist inside of me is trying to figure out how this would chemically work. Silicon is itself a raw element, Sand is Silicon Dioxide. The bacteria could potentially consume raw silicon (Silicon is the 8th most common element and lets say It would be naturally abundant on this world.) Consume the Carbon dioxide, and photosynthesis the light from the sun, then create the sand as a byproduct.

Hehe, It made me laugh. :P

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2013, 04:24:09 pm »

This goes back to motive. Let's follow your logic train.
Why do we need a world? So we can have worshipers. Why do we need worshipers? So we can get mana. Why do we need mana? To make the world. Nice and circular.
If we didn't make anything, we wouldn't need to make anything. So there obviously has to be some strong reason to make this. "Because we can" is pretty weak, given the time and effort we are putting into it.

Look at this another way. Let's say that you were an automaton with no physical needs. All you had would be paper, pencil, and infinity. You decide to make a collage. Would you simply draw random scribbles and fit them together, or make a proper, detailed, cohesive work of art that you could be proud of?

Yes, it's a cycle. But what's the alternative? We sit back one day and just say 'Right, that's done, now to do nothing for eternity.'?

What's yours? We create the world to what end? We finish and sit back for the rest of eternity. Even if we tinker forever, it's more interesting that way.
This allows constant creation, constant evolution of our ideals. Maybe once our mana's built up enough we create new planets, new forms.

And some of the greatest art is surreal - I agree there should be some sort of order, but a order separate from any earthly constraints. A surreal sketchbook can still have a running theme.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2013, 04:25:25 pm »

Why do we need a world? So we can have worshipers. Why do we need worshipers? So we can get mana. Why do we need mana? To make the world. Nice and circular.
If we didn't make anything, we wouldn't need to make anything. So there obviously has to be some strong reason to make this. "Because we can" is pretty weak, given the time and effort we are putting into it.

Look at this another way. Let's say that you were an automaton with no physical needs. All you had would be paper, pencil, and infinity. You decide to make a collage. Would you simply draw random scribbles and fit them together, or make a proper, detailed, cohesive work of art that you could be proud of?

Yes, it's a cycle. But what's the alternative? We sit back one day and just say 'Right, that's done, now to do nothing for eternity.'?

What's yours? We create the world to what end? We finish and sit back for the rest of eternity. Even if we tinker forever, it's more interesting that way.
This allows constant creation, constant evolution of our ideals. Maybe once our mana's built up enough we create new planets, new forms.

And some of the greatest art is surreal - I agree there should be some sort of order, but a order separate from any earthly constraints. A surreal sketchbook can still have a running theme.

An interesting thought would be to create two planets in the same solar system, let them evolve. And then see what they do with each other once they meet.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2013, 04:36:01 pm »

An interesting thought would be to create two planets in the same solar system, let them evolve. And then see what they do with each other once they meet.
+1 three one with silicon, one with carbon, and one with magic weirdness.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2013, 06:46:55 pm »

But only after we establish the Silicon one that we have been working on, we will need to gather mana first.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2013, 07:05:00 pm »

But only after we establish the Silicon one that we have been working on, we will need to gather mana first.
Of course, we have no idea what would happen without our mana. On the plus-side based on what we've done so far, we could do most of the miracles in the bible easily so it souldn't be hard to get worshipers.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2013, 07:44:18 pm »

The biologist inside of me is trying to figure out how this would chemically work. Silicon is itself a raw element, Sand is Silicon Dioxide. The bacteria could potentially consume raw silicon (Silicon is the 8th most common element and lets say It would be naturally abundant on this world.) Consume the Carbon dioxide, and photosynthesis the light from the sun, then create the sand as a byproduct.

We'd need to contact a chemist to make sure that would actually work.

No, we create a new world, different. When Leonardo da Vinci created the Mona Lisa, did he decide that there was nothing more he could paint well and thus choose to retire, or did he begin trying to pass off ten-second scribbles as art, or did he decide he could no longer ? No, he painted Head of a Woman. We make something different, but still orderly.
And you want a different kind of order? Fine. Describe it.

Of course, we have no idea what would happen without our mana. On the plus-side based on what we've done so far, we could do most of the miracles in the bible easily so it souldn't be hard to get worshipers.
I dunno, actually doing the stuff in the Bible would probably drive away/kill more worshipers than it attracted.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2013, 08:04:09 pm »

No, we create a new world, different. When Leonardo da Vinci created the Mona Lisa, did he decide that there was nothing more he could paint well and thus choose to retire,
*cough
Maybe once our mana's built up enough we create new planets, new forms.
Now, I wonder what the purpose could be of making worshippers to get more mana could be as I described... oh wait! Maybe it's to get more mana so we can make different planets in the end! My god!

As opposed to your idea of, of making us do things un-noticeably, making earth 2.0 and then presumably hitting empty mana from no worship, and then making new planets still somehow.

Hmm. Which there has a hole in it's logic?

Seas of molten rock. Creatures and plants are made of living metal / metallic based compounds. Plants generate mana to live and this is consumed by both us and other creatures, which use it to preserve and reproduce themselves. This allows us to make awesome and unique creatures as opposed to earth 2.0. The mana we consume will build up until we can create other planets, whereupon we can do something completely different.

What would you prefer, then? Explain your plans and why rather than just calling other stuff some disparaging remark.

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2013, 08:24:52 pm »

URRRRRRRRRG! Can we stop arguing and actually make something! Maybe crystal forests that produce mana, that would require about a billion years of waiting though.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:38:51 pm by HissinhWalnuts »
Crack-a-lack-a

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2013, 08:35:21 pm »

We'd need to contact a chemist to make sure that would actually work.

No, we create a new world, different. When Leonardo da Vinci created the Mona Lisa, did he decide that there was nothing more he could paint well and thus choose to retire, or did he begin trying to pass off ten-second scribbles as art, or did he decide he could no longer ? No, he painted Head of a Woman. We make something different, but still orderly.

I dunno, actually doing the stuff in the Bible would probably drive away/kill more worshipers than it attracted.
I know. but the point is that we can do these cosmically large things fairly easily proving our existence to worshipers would be fairly easy.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2013, 08:40:20 pm »

URRRRRRRRRG! Can we stop arguing and actually make something! Maybe crystal forests that produce mana, that would require about a billion years of waiting though.

We are doing things! Letting an atmosphere build up from the silicon bacteria so we can then add more advanced things.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2013, 08:42:56 pm »

Now, I wonder what the purpose could be of making worshippers to get more mana could be as I described... oh wait! Maybe it's to get more mana so we can make different planets in the end! My god!

As opposed to your idea of, of making us do things un-noticeably, making earth 2.0 and then presumably hitting empty mana from no worship, and then making new planets still somehow.

Hmm. Which there has a hole in it's logic?
There, we have an argument at the line between "Strawman" and "Didn't explain things well enough". Okay, it's on the latter side of the line.
I never said we should completely hide, just that we should make our presence...subtle.
Besides, even if we did completely hide, we would stil get worshipers. To avoid offending anyone, just consider: No religion commands so much as a third of the world's population, unless you lump Christianity, Judaism, and Islam together for some reason. (Source: Wikipedia, which reports that there are a lot fewer Jews than I had imagined.) Clearly, there are a lot of people worshiping something that doesn't exist.

Seas of molten rock. Creatures and plants are made of living metal / metallic based compounds. Plants generate mana to live and this is consumed by both us and other creatures, which use it to preserve and reproduce themselves. This allows us to make awesome and unique creatures as opposed to earth 2.0. The mana we consume will build up until we can create other planets, whereupon we can do something completely different.

What would you prefer, then? Explain your plans and why rather than just calling other stuff some disparaging remark.
Alright. And how does that work, exactly? How does the metal move? (Just in general.)
My plans, at the moment, are bacteria based largely on some common element with four valence electrons.

How can we make stuff if we can't agree on what to make?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2013, 09:01:12 pm »

Yeah, and if we end up with the 20-man cult hiding in the woods that believes in us and no-one else? We'll get so much benefit from that. That is, of course, assuming that anyone actually worships us at all as "Alice the Mother Of All". Going off your method of looking at earthly religions those with a single god often see it as a male figure, rather than a mother. The rest typically are a pantheon, which we ain't. So yeah, not too much luck there unless we make it obvious. There's no benefit to hiding our presence. We don't have to be a nurturing mother. Think of fantasy gods - they exist, they do things, and are worshipped, but they aren't expected to step in a help their worshippers whenever they start crying.

Creature wise, you tell me. You're presumably the scientist here. I would assume it moves through the same way we create things out of nothing.
Maybe it has a series of gears and tension cords that mimic muscles. Maybe it's self assembling ,through mana-powered nanomachines or whatever. The point is, there are options. Maybe it's also silicon based like the bacteria so can form muscles and tissues.

What are your plans after the bacteria? Leave it at that? You're asking me to expand upon my plans, kindly do the same.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10