Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What organism do you want to seed the world with?

Silicoln-based
- 8 (80%)
Hydrogen based
- 2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: God Of The Land  (Read 9647 times)

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
Re: God Of The Land
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 10:20:18 am »

Insanity is fun, but perfectly perfected insanity is even better.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2013, 10:31:34 am »

Why not make it really alien?
Seas of molten lead, creatures made of obsidian. Plants of delicate ironwork that grow from silicon seeds.
Make it unique.
None of that makes any sense or fits together in any way!
It doesn't have to. We're God(s). Conventional biology is so dull. Lets make something... new.
Spoiler: Explanation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Response. (click to show/hide)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2013, 11:05:09 am »

Seas of molten lead, creatures made of obsidian. Plants of delicate ironwork that grow from silicon seeds.
Make it unique.
It doesn't have to. We're God(s). Conventional biology is so dull. Lets make something... new.
+1

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 11:05:11 am »

I say we restore some mana and get the magma lakes going, also some stone sentient stone lifeforms who will start basic civilization. They will live in caves and will build shrines to us to get some mana.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 11:20:30 am »

Make it unique.
There are no others.
And let me reveal something to you: Come up with a nice, logical way for those organisms to form. Make sure our presence would be almost imperceptible. Then, sure, I'll agree. Until then, you're the guy suggesting that we make our masterpiece a copy of the Mona Lisa but using orange juice and mud to paint instead of paint.

A bit of potential inspiration, and a certain bit of explanation of my point:
"Bender, being God isn't easy....You have to use a light touch, like a safecracker or a pickpocket...When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
(Bender's responses removed.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 02:19:03 pm »

Make it unique.
There are no others.
And let me reveal something to you: Come up with a nice, logical way for those organisms to form. Make sure our presence would be almost imperceptible. Then, sure, I'll agree. Until then, you're the guy suggesting that we make our masterpiece a copy of the Mona Lisa but using orange juice and mud to paint instead of paint.

"Bender, being God isn't easy....You have to use a light touch, like a safecracker or a pickpocket...When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

easy solution to the argument guys

we're on the Bay12 forums remember
nothing is logical
there argument done
game continues as planned
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 02:21:47 pm »

Would you like to attempt to seed the world with the silicon bacteria? 5,000 Mana.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2013, 02:44:02 pm »

There are no others.

Well, there's at least one other. Most of us are living on it. So let's have some variation.

You say we'd be almost imperceptible... but why? There's no evidence for Gods on Earth yet still billions believe. It is not a stretch to believe that worship will grant us mana, so why would we need to be undetectable? Even if they make requests, we ignore them, and they'll just say 'God works in mysterious ways'.

---

Yes. Seed the planet with life

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2013, 03:23:46 pm »

nothing is logical
there argument done
Why does someone trot something like this out whenever we have a debate?

"This is Bay12, we can do anything, so there's no reason to follow any kind of logic or reason, let's just make a random mash of crap."

Well, there's at least one other. Most of us are living on it. So let's have some variation.
None of us exist in the game.
And I never said we'd carbon-copy Earth...just that I wanted a world with logic and reason behind it, not one where even blades of grass need magic to exist.

You say we'd be almost imperceptible... but why? There's no evidence for Gods on Earth yet still billions believe. It is not a stretch to believe that worship will grant us mana, so why would we need to be undetectable? Even if they make requests, we ignore them, and they'll just say 'God works in mysterious ways'.
This goes back to motive. Let's follow your logic train.
Why do we need a world? So we can have worshipers. Why do we need worshipers? So we can get mana. Why do we need mana? To make the world. Nice and circular.
If we didn't make anything, we wouldn't need to make anything. So there obviously has to be some strong reason to make this. "Because we can" is pretty weak, given the time and effort we are putting into it.

Look at this another way. Let's say that you were an automaton with no physical needs. All you had would be paper, pencil, and infinity. You decide to make a collage. Would you simply draw random scribbles and fit them together, or make a proper, detailed, cohesive work of art that you could be proud of?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2013, 03:25:17 pm »

There are no others.

+1

---

Yes. Seed the planet with life

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2013, 03:46:14 pm »

nothing is logical
there argument done
Why does someone trot something like this out whenever we have a debate?

"This is Bay12, we can do anything, so there's no reason to follow any kind of logic or reason, let's just make a random mash of crap."

Because its true? :P

In all honesty this argument has taken up at least a page now and is reaching nowhere. Can we come to a conclusion please or at least take your debate to PM's?
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2013, 03:46:39 pm »

Lets seed the planet!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2013, 03:49:43 pm »

It's a debate over the suggestions. We all want to seed the planet with life, but while some of us want there to be a physical basis (I really don't care if we go with carbon or silicon), others want to make random crap that only works because magic.
Sig

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 04:02:52 pm »

It's a debate over the suggestions. We all want to seed the planet with life, but while some of us want there to be a physical basis (I really don't care if we go with carbon or silicon), others want to make random crap that only works because magic.
+1 to silicon if that helps

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2013, 04:05:51 pm »

You gaze upon the land, looking down on the barren planet, attempting to find a suitable place for this bacteria. It needs to be a perfect place... You form a strand of DNA and encapsulate it. You gave its biological commands. It is to eat, and reproduce via cell division.

What do you want Its functions to be? How do you want its lifestyle to act out? Do you want it to photosynthesize? Take in the Carbon Dioxide and spit out Oxygen or another chemical? Do you want it Silicon? If so we can erode the soil to create silica and a desert, that'll take a million years for a desert to form, but your Silicoln bacteria will be able to thrive.

All in all to create the desert it should take 5,000 Mana.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10