Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 55

Author Topic: Paranormal 23 - Game Over!  (Read 142483 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 23 - Day 3 brings death and release
« Reply #750 on: December 23, 2013, 08:22:24 pm »

And that's that. Nearly a perfect victory for town, with only the Assassination of RangerCado to mar things at all.

Whoops.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 23, 2013, 08:25:25 pm »

And that's that. Nearly a perfect victory for town, with only the Assassination of RangerCado to mar things at all.

Whoops.

Eh, it happens.

What was your opinion of the Mind Stealer? I know it wasn't exactly a difficult choice after Day 2 on what to do, but what are your thoughts in general?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 23 - Game Over!
« Reply #752 on: December 23, 2013, 08:32:23 pm »

wat

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 23, 2013, 08:33:35 pm »

...I should never try to go against my intuition >_<

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 23, 2013, 08:34:30 pm »

I... still don't know why SBC bothered to claim hivemind though. Boggles the mind, it does.
I don't know anymore.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 23, 2013, 08:35:29 pm »

I was getting a little unsure of Tiruin too, but just couldn't see who the scum *could* be if not Tiruin. Toaster was 2nd after that, but unless something definite happened in the night I was still gonna vote to lynch Tiruin. Didn't really cross my mind at all that SBC could be the last dopp. Scum claiming cult is something I've never seen before... O_o
He didn't really claim cult...
Give me a moment to think.
No he didn't claim cult directly.

Edit.
Yeah I can't speak but in ellipsis. Most of me is going 'Ooooohhhhh SBC I'm so sorryyyyyy' but there's a tiny portion in me reveling in this vague and nebulous set of chaos and quietly laughing to herself saying 'I told you so, even if I didn't get it right.'
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 08:37:17 pm by Tiruin »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 23, 2013, 08:45:35 pm »

I was getting a little unsure of Tiruin too, but just couldn't see who the scum *could* be if not Tiruin. Toaster was[...]
This was what I was (getting the) feeling (from) towards any of you. I didn't sense any intended aggression but I didn't see any...real scumhunting in between though. I stand by my word that I really felt that how the concluding attempts at 'rooting out the last scum' lacked...conviction(?), or at least any backing case.

So yes I felt labeled because nobody bothered to even link or quote anything against me. >_>

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 23, 2013, 08:45:42 pm »

This was literally the easiest game of mafia I have ever been in.  I didn't have to think once after replacing in.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 23, 2013, 08:46:42 pm »

This was literally the easiest game of mafia I have ever been in.  I didn't have to think once after replacing in.
:I
<_<
Bleh.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: December 23, 2013, 08:47:34 pm »

What was your opinion of the Mind Stealer? I know it wasn't exactly a difficult choice after Day 2 on what to do, but what are your thoughts in general?
I don't like it at all for several reasons.

1. Its win condition is much too easy.  It can choose whichever win condition it likes and switch if things are going bad for it.
2. It can perfectly divine the alignment of a player every night.  That makes it a supercop that can both create confirmed townies and condemned scum.
3. It makes the game more swingy.  If the town does poorly early on then it can join the doppelganger team and seal their fate.  If the town does well early on it can stamp the scum into oblivion with its supercop ability.

These reasons put together means that it's too easy to win and has a negative effect on the game as a whole.

e: I'm not Jim so I don't know how it worked out this game, but I think these are inherent problems with the role.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:34:02 pm by Leafsnail »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: December 23, 2013, 08:49:58 pm »

Quote from: Jim
You have gained the Role: Military Scientist - with the knowledge of the location of an Assassin Bot, primed and ready for use. You'll need to trigger this the next night, though, before its complex instructions fade from your mind.

You are now Town-aligned.
...The bolded part never occurred to me as a factor on why he wouldn't use it >_<

And I'm posting emotionally again...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: December 23, 2013, 08:58:25 pm »

I've noticed too, I've been town since being King Mafia (besides Roguelike Mafia 6 but I replaced really late).  It's getting kind of disappointing!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: December 23, 2013, 09:00:11 pm »

I think it's difficult for the Mind Stealer to side with the dopps even if he wants to. Abducting a dopp is a pretty large disruption to the dopp team, and now the Mind Stealer knows that player's alignment. The Mind Stealer can just out the dopp then and possibly swing the game into the town's favor even if they've been playing poorly so far. I would wager that this is probably the most expedient solution for the Mind Stealer in the case of a dopp abduction.

If there were an easy way for the Mind Stealer to invite himself onto the dopp team without also harming the dopp team at the same time, I think I would like the role better.

Basically I don't really see a reason not to play for the town team in most circumstances.

PPE: Basically what Leafsnail said. The infallible role inspect, infallible alignment inspect, and roleblock is pretty ridiculous.

wat

Surprise!

We win!

Quote from: Imp in scumchat
At a guess, Jim has observed and taught a few -hundred- new players. At a guess, he's directly interacted with at least 50 new players in their first few games and around a hundred 'newbies in the intermediate' stage.

And he's probably got an IQ of 135+.

These are all exaggerations by the way, but I do appreciate the compliments.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: December 23, 2013, 09:04:16 pm »

Quote from: Imp in scumchat
At a guess, Jim has observed and taught a few -hundred- new players. At a guess, he's directly interacted with at least 50 new players in their first few games and around a hundred 'newbies in the intermediate' stage.

And he's probably got an IQ of 135+.

These are all exaggerations by the way, but I do appreciate the compliments.
Jim is rather humble. It's like the icing on the cake of who seems like a grumpy guy at first...aaaand that's before you consider his other positive traits. :D
In other words: "Jim is awesome and I'm really glad I got to meet him as my first IC when I played in."
Surprise!

We win!
I feel horrible for ranting. >_<

Woah. Damn. Good game everyone. Sorry Tiruin.  :-X
Nooooo..wait, thanks but..argh.
I mean I wasn't frustrated at any one single person specifically but the mood was...lax! I was frustrated at what I perceived to be the consensus of the crowd and.. >_<
I'm a horrible person :S

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: December 23, 2013, 09:10:13 pm »

These games can make me really paranoid. I was convinced everyone was scum D3 except Tiruin and Toony.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 55