Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 55

Author Topic: Paranormal 23 - Game Over!  (Read 142996 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 23 - Day 1 - [1 REPLACE NEEDED]
« Reply #300 on: December 09, 2013, 06:42:24 pm »

PFP 90 minutes to day end.

Compromise vote time.  Max White, TheDarkStar, and Toaster are tied for first place.  I can compromise to Dark or Max.  TheDarkStar's my second Scum pick.  I'll be watching votes as best as work allows in case a tie reappears or other votes are placed.  If work slows down enough I'll be able to answer and ask before day end.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 09, 2013, 06:48:57 pm »

TheDarkStar:

Toaster had some interesting things in his post. His seemed to be multiple other people that we tend to have doubts about.

The part I bolded, what do you mean?

Townie = specific role, town = town-aligned. War vet, Vigilante, Detective, etc. are all town roles.

Ah. Semantics, just not in the way I was thinking.

Yep, my words actually mean something.

As do mine. The distinction between Town, the alignment, and Townie, the role, is in the end irrelevant. Townies don't win or lose, Town does. So making a distinction between the two is a pointless semantics argument.

Not really, since I see you haven't claimed that you are a townie, just town-aligned.

Are you trying to pressure Makeinu into roleclaiming?

No I am not. I am pointing out that he seems to have a power role and should not come up as a townie to any investigator roles who check him. I was not intending to pressure him for a role (even though it may have sounded that way if read a different way); I was just trying to point something out for anyone who checks him tonight or future nights.

I want to trim this down, but it's such a lovely quote pyramid. I think I can touch the sky from here.

So, what seemed on the face of it to be a blatant push for a role-claim on D1 (to me a strong scum-tell) was really just a hidden attempt to defend me just in case I was investigated and came up not Town?

Just so I'm clear here that you're actually defending me here. Because otherwise I'm completely baffled.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 09, 2013, 06:58:11 pm »

Persus
Imp, Toaster seemed just to be making a flavor text reference. For the record, he wasn't exactly that active in the last Supernatural either, (although he did turn out to be converted scum). And for that matter, you don't have a lot of posts either. You're 4th in the overall post count.
You're saying that you're fine with Toaster's activity here because he wasn't very active in S6, where he was converted to Scum?

And you're saying that I don't have a lot of posts either, because (when you posted this comment) three people had more posts than me and seven had fewer - what's the significance of this to you, and how does that compare to talking about people in last place for number of posts?
My point was that Toaster wasn't very active either D1 or any of the other days. To me at least there wasn't a notable difference in his activity, but they were low throughout the game.

Normally you are number 1 in the post count. There this thing in Statistics known as z-scores that measure the deviation from a mean. At the moment I'd estimate that your z-score for this game is lower than Toaster's z-score.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 09, 2013, 07:38:38 pm »

In the end for me, its come down to who do I feel I feel is the biggest threat to the town right now and honestly, its Darkstar for me. I've stated why before, and others have as well. Be I wrong, I will face the consequences. Sorry man, it was fun.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 09, 2013, 07:48:37 pm »

I originally voted TheDarkStar as a pressure vote. I'm not convinced he's scum, but I'm not unconvinced either.

Same with Max.

Of the two, right now, it's a coin-flip for me, BUT Max has asked for replacement and there doesn't seem to be a taker yet. As much as I'd like to see what another player would do in his stead, but I think it'd be better for the game to just lynch him out rather than keep waiting.

Other thoughts?
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 09, 2013, 08:07:30 pm »

The Whiteboard
Caz: Toaster
Max White: Persus13, Tiruin
Sinlessmoon: Caz
TheDarkStar: Imp, Jim Groovester, makeinu, RangerCado
Toaster: TheDarkStar

The consensus isn't exactly overwhelming, but the day has dragged on for far too long and at this point everyone is tired.

TheDarkStar's time is up. He looks around frantically, hoping for some sort of support or reprieve. But none comes.

RangerCado picks up the pistol that you found in the Captain's cabin. "Sorry, buddy, can't be too sure though." He levels the gun and TheDarkStar tries to rise up and leave. Jim and Imp hold him down, though, and the bullet goes clean through his forehead.

You watch for a few tense moments, and then see the change. His features melt away, his hair dissolves, and his fingers sprout horrible claws. A Doppelganger for sure. You check out his cabin, but he doesn't seem to have anything too interesting about it. Seems he was a normal crewman, at least. You do notice that he had a distinct absence of electronics in his room or on his person, though. One of those weirdos with an Anti-Tech aura, perhaps?

In any case, you're off to a great start. Now you just need to survive the night.

Night has fallen. Send in your actions!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 23 - Night 1 - [1 REPLACE NEEDED]
« Reply #306 on: December 11, 2013, 08:22:26 pm »

You all gather in the mess. A pot of coffee is put on, and you eat a bit of what passes for food on this ship. You wait a bit, but eventually it becomes clear that Caz isn't going to join you. With some worried glances all around, you head off to her cabin to see what might have happened to her.

She's just...gone. The cabin door isn't locked, and there is no evidence that she slept in her bed. But there is no blood and no sign of a struggle. You wonder what became of her, but for now you head back to the mess. You still have to conduct the day's trial, Caz's dissapearence not withstanding.

Day 2 has started. It will go until ~5pm Pacific Monday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 23 - Day 2 - [1 REPLACE NEEDED]
« Reply #307 on: December 11, 2013, 08:36:54 pm »

...So we have a Harvester or Xenologist loose? Well, this just got interesting.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 11, 2013, 08:58:56 pm »

*checks over roles listing....*

*raises hand slowly*

Noob question? I can, and will, dig through previous Paranormal games as I have time, but.... okay.... so....

The Xenozoologist abducts and permanently removes from play, if the target is a species it hasn't already collected. Could be that because, N1, obviously, no duplicates yet.

The Harvester either kills the player or steals it's role and win condition, depending on the variety. Could be that, and I assume Mind Stealer because there's no body.

If it's the latter, what happens to the player? They revert to a vanilla role, it says, but are they out for a day?

I don't understand exactly whether Caz is dead or just one-day silenced.

And both of these are threats to the Town, or just the Harvester?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 11, 2013, 09:02:38 pm »

So I'm late and argh. Stuff was bad.

Quickpost as I get my original post..which would've happened before day end.

makeinu

*checks over roles listing....*

*raises hand slowly*
...You raise your hand..why?

Ranger

Side commentary? What else have you to say?

Meph: Caz is male for the record. :P

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 11, 2013, 09:04:36 pm »

Because I was taught it's polite to raise one's hand with questions. :P

Also, only one night "kill" (strike?) so that means.....?

No action from the Dopplegangers? Or nicely chosen protection order...?

I'm asking these as questions, but they're not really questions. It almost certainly has to be one of those thr... er, ... wait.... two. Two.

'Cause no way the dopps would choose to skip a night, not after yesterday.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 11, 2013, 09:10:00 pm »

I'm asking these as questions, but they're not really questions. It almost certainly has to be one of those thr... er, ... wait.... two. Two.
...You can guess that the Dopps, if you aren't one, were either blocked, or redirected to someone immune, or didn't choose to kill--or anything interrupted their kill.
Why're you thinking about that given the...narrow set of results?
One NK means..one night kill per night per faction, unless you mean NK in general.

This sounds more like a conclusion than anything like speculation.

Could I ask how you got to this?

Nextly: What exactly don't you understand about this game, compared to what you understand about Mafia?

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 11, 2013, 09:32:58 pm »

Sorry. This sort of went all over the place as I thought out loud on the screen. I can't figure how to make it more coherent...

...You can guess that the Dopps, if you aren't one, were either blocked, or redirected to someone immune, or didn't choose to kill--or anything interrupted their kill.

That's exactly what I am assuming...

Why're you thinking about that given the...narrow set of results?
One NK means..one night kill per night per faction, unless you mean NK in general.

Which goes to the final answer below, which has refinement questions in it.

This sounds more like a conclusion than anything like speculation.

Could I ask how you got to this?

Extrapolating. "What would I do if..."

One night kill happened. Assume one night kill per scum faction OR one for the scum faction and one independent "killer", which both of those Alien roles can be cast as, if I'm reading them right. Which I'm not certain, hence... uncertainty. Because if it's the former, then, okay, it's night-kill OR use power, but if it's the latter, night-kill didn't happen. I assume latter, and a no-kill order from the scum faction is bad play because they're down one of three already, and they're as much a target for the Alien(s) as Town is.

And if that's right, then it still matters what happened to Caz. Abducted means coming back once certain conditions are met, i.e., the Xenozoologist is killed, or released by the Harvester if it's of the Mind Stealer variety?

Nextly: What exactly don't you understand about this game, compared to what you understand about Mafia?

I'm trying to suss the different factions, and it's easier to ask. Town (human), Aliens, Doppelgangers, I assume are all separate factions. Do the Aliens and the Doppelgangers normally work together, or in opposition, i.e., both are scum (I assume), but are they one faction or two?

If they're one, and we know from the only night "kill" that it was an Alien, that means Aliens replace humans as well? If they're two factions, then we're possibly not down three Town from start, we're down more, which tightens the odds a bit. Independents always do. Three Doppelgangers and #? Aliens?

We know three crew were replaced, from the OP. We don't know if one of those replaces was an Alien, or I don't anyway, or if there's a fourth or fifth crew "missing" as well, only we don't know because they weren't body replaced as the Doppelgangers do it.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 11, 2013, 09:41:09 pm »

Yay, we lynched correctly yesterday (at least, the four of you who voted DarkStar did)! And thanks for teaching me a scum-tell for new players.

So no dopp kill. Huh?

Meph: Do we find out what Caz's role or alignment was at all?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 11, 2013, 09:47:57 pm »

Well, I'm basing my inferance from previous knowledge.

Guess what I was in the past Paranormal~The Alien [Organ] Harvester. No mention of me was in the flavor (and given Meph's flexibility, I do note that we shouldn't base such things as presence of who and what from flavor, but the number of who or what is present).

Nextly:
Empirical evidence states that:

You all gather in the mess. A pot of coffee is put on, and you eat a bit of what passes for food on this ship. You wait a bit, but eventually it becomes clear that Caz isn't going to join you. With some worried glances all around, you head off to her cabin to see what might have happened to her.

She's just...gone. The cabin door isn't locked, and there is no evidence that she slept in her bed. But there is no blood and no sign of a struggle. You wonder what became of her, but for now you head back to the mess. You still have to conduct the day's trial, Caz's dissapearence not withstanding.

ie: he was abducted--attacked or struck before she could get back to her room or perform any action. From memory, I doubt that Dopps can do this.
Or we've got a XZ (XenoZoologist) present--who I believe is more of a neutral faction than a hostile/malevolent force.

I'm trying to suss the different factions, and it's easier to ask. Town (human), Aliens, Doppelgangers, I assume are all separate factions. Do the Aliens and the Doppelgangers normally work together, or in opposition, i.e., both are scum (I assume), but are they one faction or two?

If they're one, and we know from the only night "kill" that it was an Alien, that means Aliens replace humans as well? If they're two factions, then we're possibly not down three Town from start, we're down more, which tightens the odds a bit. Independents always do. Three Doppelgangers and #? Aliens?

We know three crew were replaced, from the OP. We don't know if one of those replaces was an Alien, or I don't anyway, or if there's a fourth or fifth crew "missing" as well, only we don't know because they weren't body replaced as the Doppelgangers do it.
The separate factions work according to their goals--but it can be inferred that Dopps are one whole faction; Humans are one whole faction and Aliens work according to their role goal, and may be individualists or faction-aligned (in the case of an Exterminator + Exterminator Operative) but generally are third-party. Whether benevolent or malevolent is usually up to debate.

Persus
Yay, we lynched correctly yesterday (at least, the four of you who voted DarkStar did)! And thanks for teaching me a scum-tell for new players.

So no dopp kill. Huh?

Meph: Do we find out what Caz's role or alignment was at all?

Why're you happy?
Next: Expound the bolded portion

And I'll try to explain the thing to Meph: When a player is abducted (and NOT killed), they don't roleflip. When they die, they roleflip. So we can easily infer that Caz is alive and will only flip if:
a. His organs are harvested and thus, he gets thrown away as darn insipid trash while we inspect the body and..well, it'll be (more likely than not) obvious via flavor.
b. The captor dies and he returns..which I guess won't be a flip.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 55