Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 55

Author Topic: Paranormal 23 - Game Over!  (Read 142747 times)

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 23 - Day 1 - Trouble at Sea
« Reply #225 on: December 05, 2013, 10:57:13 am »

Extend

Because I'm confused.

Good luck with the interview.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 05, 2013, 10:59:45 am »

..No, that's what held me up a few hours ago and its very late now and zzzz. >_>
Tired too much to think enough.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 05, 2013, 12:10:03 pm »

Extend. I will note that the thirty seconds it took to type this out is actually lowering my GPA.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 05, 2013, 12:21:12 pm »

Nothing new to go on. I guess we needed that extend.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 05, 2013, 01:30:55 pm »

The Whiteboard
makeinu: RangerCado
Max White: Persus13, Tiruin
Sinlessmoon: Caz
Tiruin: Max White

Day has been Extended to ~5pm Pacific Friday.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 05, 2013, 01:46:09 pm »

((Going through the pages so i'm responding to what I see.))

So your argument against makeinu is because of RL issues and because of Jim and Max attacking him. I see.

Put words into my mouth more, bro. My reasoning for my vote against makeinu is that his excuses are flimsy. You think scum isn't up to exaggerating irl issues to keep suspicion off them? I see people excusing their lack of coherent posts by lack of time, tiredness, whatever. Not all of them flip town. To be honest, making an excuse is almost admitting guilt. If you don't agree to that, I'll reference makeinu's frequent assurances to us that he is town. (After all, how else would we know?)

Regardless, as before, you're free to be suspicious based on your read of my actions, but your suspicion is misplaced. Barring my death and a role/alignment flip, however, I can't prove that you're wrong.

I know my wincon and alignment. Having already been pinged as suspicious for previously throwing out assertions to them, I refuse to further that by repeating them in every post to defend myself. At the risk of being pinged for such again, however, I will do so here. My wincon requires eliminating threats to the town.

I'm not a dopp

I'm not going to role claim, not on day one, but I am town.
Yeah I think Makeinu is scummy because of his constant town-claims, but I think that lying about RL in Mafia is poor form for scum and so tend to believe it when mentioned by people as an excuse. My opinion differs in that I tend to give some leeway to people who seem like they're scum D1 because its easy to mess up, especially if your not scum and not checking your posts for errors.
This is mostly my thinking of makeinu right now. Too many "I'm TOWN!" claims. Its almost as if he's trying to prove it to himself as well as to everyone. He may be a third-party, but his scum hunting isn't anywhere near what I would call skilled from someone who claims to have played forum-based mafia before. And though seems to be trying, I find no way that it is working.

Also Caz, there is the thing where someone will lay out everything wrong with a person in their case, then it becomes difficult to say anything new and in most cases people will have to either agree, or have to find a way to restate others opinions. Though DarkStar not previously having a case is suspicious.

makeinu has shown that he is not just making excuses, so, while I still suspect him, Unvote for now. We need someone to check him eventually (and hopefully soon) to see what he is. I'd consider is reason to lynch if he came up as a townie based on the fact that, while he claims town, he carefully does not claim townie.
...Okay Dark, this seems a rather quick vote change. I would, and have, kept the pressure up and work more towards pressing him about the things besides his excuses. Why such a quick vote switch with no other questions thrown out?

...What caused the fluctuating suspicion?

He made a new post timed so that I posted and then read his post. He is not out of suspicion and was not ever out of it.
Okay... but you still didn't ask any questions and haven't pursued the suspicion at all previously from this post. Are you waiting for others to do the hunting for you Dark?

Toaster:
Fair point. But the advantage of asking everyone a question is also there, as you get many responses which you can then find someone worth pursuing. I believe both options have their advantages, so I picked the one that works better for me style wise. And because you put it up for Imp, I might as well answer since its a similar situation. Yes, I would. My reasons are the same, I would just get less creative with my questions in the massive list of players.

Imp:
Because I knew that after getting some sleep, I could get a post out. I also knew that if I wasn't, I would just post a single extend vote post... except the extend when through so theres little reason to now.

I will get another post out in the evening for me.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 05, 2013, 02:02:39 pm »

his scum hunting isn't anywhere near what I would call skilled from someone who claims to have played forum-based mafia before. And though seems to be trying, I find no way that it is working.

Let me see if I can wrap my head around this, because I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly. It seems to me that your argument is that I'm suspicious in part because my scum-hunting style belies claims to previous mafia game play based on the fact that I don't scum-hunt the way that you do.

Am I reading that correctly, RangerCado?
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 05, 2013, 05:24:04 pm »

He may be a third-party, but his scum hunting isn't anywhere near what I would call skilled from someone who claims to have played forum-based mafia before. And though seems to be trying, I find no way that it is working.
I think the reason he seems scummy is because he has a different playstyle more than that he's scum.

Though DarkStar not previously having a case is suspicious.
I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. Can you explain this better?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 05, 2013, 06:17:05 pm »

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. Can you explain this better?

If I were to fuess, and it's only a guess, maybe referring to this?

Looking through the day's posts, Makeinu is trying too hard to be town. He has not made a real contribution so far, even though he claims he eventually will. He says he is town and definately not a doppelganger all the time (summed up by Persus), but as a townie he should assume that he does not need to say this, since he would have nothing to hide. I'm voting for him for trying too hard to fit in.

It's easy to come to a conclusion that's been summed up by someone else, huh? Are you going to do your own scumhunting or are you content to lynch the current favourite?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 05, 2013, 07:55:50 pm »

It's because I came a day late, after ~10 pages of the thread were already written and people had already started collections of evidence.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 06, 2013, 12:37:27 am »

makeinu: The reasons are:

-your mass of claims of being town. Even answering questions with it shouldn't have come up so much.

-Your hunting that I can't understand at all. I can appreciate different styles, as there are many, but I have yet to see much evidence or information unearthed by you.

If you could maybe explain how your hunting, or what your currently doing as hunting?

Darkstar: I know, but you haven't done any hunting at ALL from what i've seen. You answered 3 or 4 questions asked previously in the game, and made a statement about agreeing with Caz... but what else? And why the single posts and not 1 big one with all of them? And how have your pursued your current vote or others? Seriously, quote me 3 posts where you've done something in the way of hunting.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 06, 2013, 12:51:21 am »

makeinu: The reasons are:

-your mass of claims of being town. Even answering questions with it shouldn't have come up so much.

-Your hunting that I can't understand at all. I can appreciate different styles, as there are many, but I have yet to see much evidence or information unearthed by you.

If you could maybe explain how your hunting, or what your currently doing as hunting?

I have to concede the first point. That's a genuine noob mistake I should've known better than to fall for, and yet, I did.

And I can't say as that I've gotten anything productive out of my efforts. Chalk that up to a learning curve on a new forum I guess.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 06, 2013, 01:05:44 am »

Extend. I should probably post more instead of lurking.  :P

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 06, 2013, 01:19:27 am »

Extend. I should probably post more instead of lurking.  :P

Probably.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 06, 2013, 05:00:41 am »

We have a maximum of two extends each game day.  I'm willing to see this day have its second extension, but by all that is, I sure hope people use E2 for more posting than E1 got.

makeinu:
makeinu:

I can't say as that I've gotten anything productive out of my efforts. Chalk that up to a learning curve on a new forum I guess.

I haven't got much 'chalk' to spare for anyone.

I'm having trouble making a workable model of you.  You've posted a lot and interacted directly with me so, so that bothers me.  I think I'm seeing one of two things in your behavior:

Maybe#1:  You're genuinely trying and doing the best you can, though you walked into the game pretty frivolously (maybe because of unknown intoxication).  You've realized that your previous efforts haven't been good for you or your Wincon, that those efforts also were not appreciated - and now you don't know what to do.

If this is true, do something.  Reread your Wincon, reread the thread, and work to chase your Wincon.  If you're Town, that means Scumhunting.  I am not allowed to discuss unfinished games outside of that game's thread - neither is anyone else - but I will say that I've seen evidence that you do know how to Scumhunt.  You're not clueless or oblivious, nor do you appear to have no idea what to do or how to do it.

Maybe#2:  You have a very good idea what you're doing (with or without unknown intoxication).  Your actions have been chosen to get the sort of results you are getting, you're in the middle of chasing your Wincon, and that Wincon is very well served by your self described 'unproductive Scumhunting' and by the overall confusion and change of focus your earlier play has brought to the game.

If this is true, do whatever you please.  Your actions do not appear to be chasing a Town Wincon or even trying to pretend to be chasing one.  I don't know if you're Scum or some hostile third party but my imaginary model of you keeps telling me that it's acting like you because it wants to be lynched.  That slows me down from voting you, despite your bizarre and ... purposefully? ... unproductive play.

Are you a Spore Spreader, makeinu?

I have to concede the first point. That's a genuine noob mistake I should've known better than to fall for, and yet, I did.[/quote]

I can see a very good reason to answer questions, especially questions about 'why did you do something' with an explanation that essentially is 'I am Town'.

I'm a player who has in one game, especially during Lylo, -extensively- pressed the point that I was Town and had been all game, and that it -showed- because every action I'd taken in game, absolutely every one, both mistakes and successes; all were done in absolute support of the Town Wincon.  In that game I'd worked -very- hard to separate Scummy play from Scum play, and had picked out two players who I stated absolutely had to be Town because of their choices in game (both good choices and bad).  I worked to protect both from being lynched despite their Scumminess because of the evidence that I worked to uncover that they were Town, and unfortunately I was convincing enough that both of them were night killed, possibly because it was clear that neither was a possible lynch choice.

I'm a player who can see -very- good reason to stress that you are Town, if the circumstances are exactly right.  But that comes mid to late game if it ever does.  That comes after a history of play within one game, where you can show (if it's strong evidence... otherwise don't bother) that yes, you struggled to make smart and meaningful Town choices when you easily could have made Scummier ones with less work, and who could possibly blame you for those Scummy choices - they could be explained as 'obviously mistakes' by a player that meant well but misread clues.

You're not in that position at this time.  I've examined your play very closely and the only claim I see that you could make with that level of assersion is 'I don't know the culture of this Mafia forum'.  And I can't rule out Maybe#2.

Sinlessmoon:  Hey there.  Paying attention now?  It's play or die time for you.  Your choice.  In case you don't know what it means to 'play' (you don't need to know what it means to die, you will be shown that if you pick that path) what it means to 'play' is this:

Post more.  With content.  Work for your Wincon.  I don't need to know what your Wincon is to tell you that almost certainly requires one of two things from you:  1) That you find players that have hostile intent and are working for something other than a Town win; or 2) That you appear to be doing #1.

Right now you're doing some sort of 3)  Whatever you please, or nothing at all.

Passive lurking's when you just don't post for an extended period of time.  Active lurking's where you post, but your posts are a way of 'passing the time' and hiding that you're not doing anything 'productive' (see 1 or 2 for what productive means).

Not cool.  Furthermore, not allowed.  Play or die.  Understood?  I'm not sure you're Scum, so it might be a waste to lynch you.  But there are no free rides here.  You need to show us your methods so we can see your motives, and right now you're methods appear to be off singing the melody to the Smurf's Sing-Along, which has absolutely nothing to do with this Mafia game.

Summary of my case against Sinlessmoon:

1)  The entirety of Sin's play this game is a mix of active and passive lurking.

2)  Made a claim that is utterly unsupported by their play to this point (lie):
I'd much rather be active than be inactive. Unfortunately it seems like I should be even more active though. :P

3)  Assuming he answered this one honestly:

New People, let's say you are scum and your scum buddy is being scummy. And not just a little scummy, like, really, really scummy. What do you do?
Try to distance myself as far away from that person as possible.
Sin is apparently distancing himself from the entire game as much as possible.

If that was an honest answer he gave to Jim (and Jim had to ask twice to get an answer), Sin's behavior this game may be because he sees a really, really Scummy teammate - but it also may be because he sees himself as being too Scummy to risk actually making real posts.  Sin can easily prove this one wrong (or true) by posting regularly with actual content for everyone to evaluate.  If Sin actually is Town, that's also the only way Sin can work towards a Town win (that hint is for you, Sin).

Toaster:
Realized I forgot to type my answer to this:
Would you do the same thing if this was a nineteen player game?

I don't know.  That's close to double the highest number of players I've played with yet... if you count within one game.  I've played three games simultaneously, and when I was, I was keeping track of more than 19 other players.  So tentative yes.

Would I ask every one of them an opening question in the same post?  Maybe not.  I might split my post into 2 or more.  I might skip some.

But that has nothing to do with this game.  This game has 10 players beside myself.  You're one of them.  And you're one that's claiming that 'talking to everyone causes lack of focus'.

Meanwhile you're tied with Sinlessmoon for lowest number of posts - though yours do have some content.  They also have a lot of stuff I don't understand as having any point to achieving any Wincon I know about - your questions and answers to Jim involving misused nautical terms.  Your joking answer to me about what you were doing with 'avast' specifically.

However, your posts also contain what appears to be Scumhunting (though a fairly low level of it), and you're also explaining things and teaching.

If you're Town, we need you.  Are you going to be participating more regularly and intently this game, or is what you're showing so far the best you're going to show this game?

Jim:
Is your GPA going to allow you to play this game, or are you going to have to lurk through it for at least the next week?  If lurking's the answer your GPA needs, are you going to replace or will we have to decide if we're better off lynching you to not without your input?

People have said they think really highly of your play.  You've complained before:

Jim, which town role would you most fear as scum?

I've come to realize that I'm one of the default go-to targets that people have if they have no better reads. Getting randomly followed while I'm on the kill or inspected would suck, because no matter how well I play as scum, some jackass with a role and nothing better to do could catch me.

I think it was in Paranormal 19 Preboot, where I got tagged with a tracking device or two, and thought, "Fuck, I am never going to be able to do anything cool as scum ever again."

Have you reached a point where you just don't think you're going to get to do anything cool as any role now, because you're getting targeted period too much or something?  Where's your -play-, man?  Where's the skill and art that others have spoken of admiring you for?

I'm almost tempted to toss a 'knock knock joke' at you.  But if you 'answered' it I'd only be saying to you 'Can Jim come out and play, please?'.

Max:

So I checked your profile and your recent posts.  Starbound's a really addictive game, huh?

If you're Town, we need you.  In S6 D1 you focused almost obsessively on one player and you were Scum that game - you tunneled that one player for about half of D1, then more or less disappeared for the rest of that day.  You're quite aggressive this D1, but not really tunnelly - you've interacted intently with both makeinu and Tiruin, though you haven't really mutually interacted with anyone else other than to answer questions.  And you've disappeared about half way through the day.

I'm not sure how much of this is just how you play, but if you're Town, you're letting us down.  There was a reason I wrote to you, back when I was reading all the previous Supernatural games.  And that reason was because I loved how you played.  Where's your fire now?  Where's your determination, what you had in that game, and what triggered in me the urge to write to you?  Mafia 'has what it takes' too, but you only get out of it what you put in.

Knock knock, Max.  Can you come back and play?

Sinlessmoon, Max, and Jim, this is your reminder that this post contains questions from me that you three have not answered yet.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 55