Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 55

Author Topic: Paranormal 23 - Game Over!  (Read 142747 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 23 - Day 1 - Trouble at Sea
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2013, 07:59:54 am »

Caz: Who would you lynch of those here on reputation alone, before anything else happens?
Tiruin.

...Nah, I kid.  :P

Sinlessmoon was online when you asked your question, and yet, didn't answer.

Meh, too much meta. It's easy to pop on and peruse Other Games while not having the time or patience to compose a mafpost. Just because we're playing doesn't mean we have to be scrutinized on our whole forum activities, I hope.

Caz:  Pretend you are Town and have a day protect (it must be placed during the day, but it will protect for the rest of this day and all of the following night, but it cannot be used on yourself), and you need to use it right now (immediately after you read this question) or it will be lost.  Who do you pick to protect and why did you pick that person, or do you pick to lose your protect and why?

Roll dice, pick random. No point doing anything else since not everyone has posted yet.

What're you hoping to learn with all these scenarios?

Oh, found answer.

Two reasons.  Refer back to my post you quote, the order of questions, two questions previous to yours.  Refer to the OP, the order of players listed.  I wanted to interact with everyone.  Those who had already posted in play, I considered their words and spoke to them from interaction, not true RVS.  THose of you who had not yet posted in play were fully RVSed, based on 'have I interacted with you in Mafia before' and 'if not, do I think you've ever played Mafia on B12 board before'.

The people I RVS'd I pulled from OP order, and Persus's question through stream of consciousness created Caz's question, which similarly created your question.

However, I'm just starting to really 'see' how random you may be (I heard your claims of this before, I just didn't really see it).  Interesting.

That's really interesting.

Persus13: How are you feeling about the game? Have you played Paranormal before?

TheDarkStar: Hello person I have not seen before. Do you have a strategy for this game?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2013, 08:02:24 am »

And I just got up and the thread is 4 pages longer. Uh-oh.

Max: Why are you tunneling someone D1 for something that isn't really suspicious again?

I'll answer more questions later.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2013, 08:05:09 am »

Quickpost
Persus

Max: Why are you tunneling someone D1 for something that isn't really suspicious again?

I'll answer more questions later.
How is he tunneling and how is that something not that really suspicious?

Caz
Caz: Who would you lynch of those here on reputation alone, before anything else happens?
Tiruin.

...Nah, I kid.  :P
Soooo...what's yer answer to Ranger there?
Also why me. :I

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2013, 08:13:18 am »

It happens so quickly -.- I end up keeping a tab open and checking it nervously every few hours. Walls of text while sleepy = ohgodno.

Soooo...what's yer answer to Ranger there?
Also why me. :I

Because you are my Nemesis, obviously. Didn't you get the memo? :(

In seriousness, I probably wouldn't lynch anyone on reputation alone. It's just not gentlewomanly. Pip pip.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2013, 09:31:28 am »

Where'd you get [days laasting] a week from?

From ... over there! *points*

More generally, that's a good question. (Don't skim the rules, makeinu!)

Why'd you only pick the one you did to answer?

Because it was specific, and I wanted to answer it.

What would you have done if no one reacted to your volunteering to have answered 'someone else's question'?

Nothing.

In your experience, is answering very rapidly a Town-tell (meaning that the person is much more likely to be Town than Scum), and/or is answering 'slowly' a Scum-tell?

Yes, in general. More specifically, not engaging in-thread early on is a scum-tell. That may not be true here, but I won't know that until I probe.

How important are asking questions for your Scumhunting style?

High on the list, since you ask.
only two of them appear to have any possible scumhunting value

You read too much into questions. Have you never heard of a "rhetorical question"?

That's a rhetorical question, by the way. You don't have to answer it.

So, would you please explain what you are doing, why you are doing it, and why you are using the method you are to achieve your goal?

I... thought I had? I am new here, you're all strangers to me. My approach to quickly learning strangers (on the internet, anyway) is to run into the room like a 5-year-old hopped on sugar with a box of crayons and go to town. It's supposed to be bizarre. How people react to the unpredictable tells a lot about how they react in general.

So.... First off, what's wrong with your vote to make it invalid?

My vote on Sin, and bringing attention on Jim, was exploratory, as explained above.

Second, what makes anyone's vote valid or invalid?

I know RangerCado's vote to be invalid one, because I'm not a dopp, and two, because it was placed on the suspicion I was avoiding a question, which I covered already.

Aaaand with another night's inadequate sleep under my belt, I'll shut up. :|
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2013, 09:41:39 am »

D: Sleep more you! Prioritize RL. This isn't a 48/24 setup.

I know RangerCado's vote to be invalid one, because I'm not a dopp, and two, because it was placed on the suspicion I was avoiding a question, which I covered already.

Aaaand with another night's inadequate sleep under my belt, I'll shut up. :|
How is it invalid when he's..voting you?
And...Why do you add info that is blank and keep on pushing it? Pertaining to the bolded part.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2013, 10:06:40 am »

Ranger:
Toaster: What would be your preferred scientist variant as Town, and as Dopple?

Town:  Intelligence.  I like the advanced tracking devices.

Dopp:  Cutting edge for the body double or Military for the bot.  Extra kills for scum are always good.

Since you're questioning everyone, how will you cope with the loss of focus your questions have?

makeinu:
makeinu:  I haven't played any games with you.  Please describe yourself as a player.

I wing it. A lot. Data analysis is not my strong suit, but I have decent intuition.

That's fair.  How do you plan to convince people what your gut says?

Yes, and never assume inexperience. You don't know how much someone has played elsewhere, or how they've played.

How much have you played in the past?

Max:
Max:  What effect do you think the new roles will have on this game?
We have new roles? The only one I know of is the spore spreader change, what else is there?
As far as the SS, I figure they are best dealt with the same way as always, kill them in the night so they don't infect others. That is always a little tricky as it does kind of depend on either the town having somebody with a kill or the scum doing the job, but I don't see much of a change in how the game will actually play really.

The other is the Rouge Dopp, which has a 50/50 shot of being either a town or dopp ally.  Okay, you saw that.  Interesting speculation- I wouldn't have thought of treating a Town-Ally as simply a Kook role.  If I roll that, I will have to treat it as such.

For the record, I am 100% for claiming Kook status first post, and extend this to regular miller in any game I play.

Imp:
Toaster:  How much of your Scumhunting is logic, and how much intuition?  In general would you say you are able to provide solid reasoning behind your Scumpicks?

It leans heavily toward logic.  Lately as my time for Mafia has been shrinking, intuition has been creeping up a bit- too bad it's still not very trustworthy.

If it's not solidly backed up, it's not a good scumpick.  Typically I do so, though see note above.

Why did you cast a wide net and question everyone instead of focusing your attention?

Jim:
Jim:  Arrr.  Be ye a swarthy enough pirate to see us out of this mess?

Aye. Be ye a seaworthy enough sailor to smoothly sail to safety?

I'm going to avast this ship until we sail over some land lubbers.

How do you deal with a game with this high a percentage of newblood?

rediculous

Oh my gosh, spell it correctly. It's ridiculous, not rediculous.

It bugs me too, but since when are you an English Enforcer?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2013, 10:44:00 am »

Thank you for the concern. This isn't what keeps me up, insomnia does, from other, real life, concerns. This just entertains me while I can't sleep.

Semantics *sighs* I will not quote the dictionary. I will not quote the dictionary.

It's not based in logic or facts. It's based on a supposition.

Toaster:

I don't know yet. I never do, not until it comes up.

And quite a bit, but only in one venue.

Hypothetical question, for everyone:

Presume I invited you to join me in the forum where I normally play. You don't know any of the players. You're unfamiliar with the forum's rules of behaviour. You're unfamiliar with the norms for the game.

How do you react/adapt? How do you, quickly, get your feet under you and get moving in the game? In short, how do you play the short game to learn the long game?

Again, hypothetical. No one has to answer. I'd just like for you to consider my actions in that light.

And yeah, bizarre is a learning tool for me.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2013, 10:48:19 am »

Personally, I'd read several old games then proceed with my tried and true style adjusted a bit to account for local procedure.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2013, 11:22:07 am »

Imp:
Imp: I liked the flavor of Webadict's magic mafia. it was silly, ridiculous, and kept things interesting for me. The last BM i played in was just too slow for me personally, leading to my less activity.

Would you say you disliked serious, or that you prefer silly/ridiculous to serious, or that there was just something 'just right' about the silliness and rediculousness of that magic mafia that made it stay interesting for you?

If this game turns out to be mostly serious, are you likely to be less interested in it?
Probably won't lose interest. And it was just the right amount of silly while still being serious as well. Probably the funniest part was when I accidently made a black hole and sucked in three people with it when i was trying to summon Kirby I think?. All in flavor of course, but it was still funny.

Tiruin:

Ranger: Nice to see ya again :D

Tiruin:
What Doppleganger role would you prefer the most?
Hmm.
*checks roles*
MAD SCIENTIST >:D
> Preferably with an assassin bot. Because of all the fun it would entail.

Why're ya askin' me such a subjeeeective question?
Trying out something that may only work in Paranormal, not sure yet. What about Town role? Third party?

RangerCado, when you see this, having now answered more questions than anyone else, I'd be grateful for an Unvote.
What would you say about a player that is showing some very clear signs of caving under a single pressure vote?
Okay, this is down right silly. My answer to you question Max, is push more as I try to dig through the silliness of makeinu who is clearly not getting whats going on right now.

makeinu:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Okay, lets look at this mess one thing at a time.

Where'd you get [days laasting] a week from?

From ... over there! *points*

More generally, that's a good question. (Don't skim the rules, makeinu!)
Okay, I can't really find fault with this here because i make these kind of side comments as well.

Why'd you only pick the one you did to answer?

Because it was specific, and I wanted to answer it.
Okay... but is that the only reason? As Tiruin has pointed out, you seem to be jumping for attention. Why?

What would you have done if no one reacted to your volunteering to have answered 'someone else's question'?

Nothing.
...That, is not a good answer. If no one reacted in anyway to it, you should have pushed about it. Asking why the questioner didn't respond to it would be a good start to get some pressure up.

In your experience, is answering very rapidly a Town-tell (meaning that the person is much more likely to be Town than Scum), and/or is answering 'slowly' a Scum-tell?

Yes, in general. More specifically, not engaging in-thread early on is a scum-tell. That may not be true here, but I won't know that until I probe.
I should point out that we have people here over atleast 4 timezones, and 2-3 continents in this game alone. Not everyone will be awake, or even available with school and RL getting in the way. Thats also a big reason why I can only post on average 3-4 times during the day here, because the amount of reading into others would kill my grades! Maybe you should have played out a beginners first to get the basic understanding of how to play on Bay12.

only two of them appear to have any possible scumhunting value

You read too much into questions. Have you never heard of a "rhetorical question"?

That's a rhetorical question, by the way. You don't have to answer it.
Why are you asking rhetorical questions then, in the early stage of a game about asking meaningful and investigative questions?

So, would you please explain what you are doing, why you are doing it, and why you are using the method you are to achieve your goal?

I... thought I had? I am new here, you're all strangers to me. My approach to quickly learning strangers (on the internet, anyway) is to run into the room like a 5-year-old hopped on sugar with a box of crayons and go to town. It's supposed to be bizarre. How people react to the unpredictable tells a lot about how they react in general.
So your plan to understand how we react is to cause unneeded chaos? This seems incredibly stupid and is not helping anybody get anywhere, except to find more reasons to lynch you.

So.... First off, what's wrong with your vote to make it invalid?

My vote on Sin, and bringing attention on Jim, was exploratory, as explained above.
Known as an RVS vote (Random voting stage vote), but with reasons that should have been fleshed out in a BM. You really should have learned more about how to play on this forum first.

You have to say your not a dopp or else you get lynched, so no reason to keep saying it like that. And yes, that was my starting point for the vote. Since then, you've given me no reason to move it beyond trying to convince me that its invalid. EVERY vote has a purpose and a reason for being there. So until I find a good reason to move it, it stays.

If you want to know why i'm suspicious of you, heres the list:
-You dodged a question that was also a slight accusation, even if the accusation wasn't directed at you.
-Your flailing a lot right now, not something most mafia players do.
-Your answers to all of these questions don't sit well with me, regardless of how many you've answered. That doesn't make you town.
-Your asking me to unvote you because you think my vote is invalid because of its starting point, ignoring how i've been pursuing it.

Toaster:
Ranger:
Toaster: What would be your preferred scientist variant as Town, and as Dopple?

Town:  Intelligence.  I like the advanced tracking devices.

Dopp:  Cutting edge for the body double or Military for the bot.  Extra kills for scum are always good.

Since you're questioning everyone, how will you cope with the loss of focus your questions have?
Loss of focus? How so? If your asking why i'm not pursuing everyone after asking everyone a question, its because it would be too much pressure on me to keep 20 different lines of thought in my head. I ask them as an opener to try and find something to go off early. Right now, i've found makeinu to be suspicious and am pursuing it, hence possible loss of focus. Also, what would be your criteria for tracking someone?

PPE: More posts... dang it!

makeinu:

Thank you for the concern. This isn't what keeps me up, insomnia does, from other, real life, concerns. This just entertains me while I can't sleep.

Semantics *sighs* I will not quote the dictionary. I will not quote the dictionary.

It's not based in logic or facts. It's based on a supposition.
Yes, it is. Most day 1 votes are started with a small thing you find wrong, or just a random person picked from the masses in your first wave of questions. You've given me no reason to get rid of it, and its certainly making you react. Do you understand the concept of a pressure vote? Because if your overreacting this much from a single vote, it doesn't bode well for later in the game. Also, and answer to your hypothetical question:
Personally, I'd read several old games then proceed with my tried and true style adjusted a bit to account for local procedure.
My answer is the same as Toaster's, and is actually how I learned to play on forums, by reading the old games. I even thought of trying another mafia game place, and i did the same thing to see if the rules were different. I stuck with bay12 because I'm on it a lot anyway.

And now have school, so thats all I can do for now. I'll post my second post of the day for mafia afterwards, when I can actually keep up and investigate.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2013, 11:36:12 am »

Hypothetical question, for everyone:

Presume I invited you to join me in the forum where I normally play. You don't know any of the players. You're unfamiliar with the forum's rules of behaviour. You're unfamiliar with the norms for the game.

How do you react/adapt? How do you, quickly, get your feet under you and get moving in the game? In short, how do you play the short game to learn the long game

No idea, I'm still attempting that. You're wrong if you're considering us all to be well-acquainted veterans here.

I'd say what you're doing currently is pretty fine.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2013, 11:57:30 am »

Caz, I make no assumptions as to the experience level of any player here. I've skimmed over a few mafia threads here so far, to get an advance read on how they go here, but reading from the outside can only tell you so much. Some names have come up more than others, but nothing substitutes for a first-person read on a player.

Aside: I have enjoyed reading some of the more notable games here. Given me some ideas to take away for my own games.

...That, is not a good answer. If no one reacted in anyway to it, you should have pushed about it. Asking why the questioner didn't respond to it would be a good start to get some pressure up.

Why is that not a good answer? I'm sorry, I don't understand. If no one reacted to it, then that tells something.

I should point out that we have people here over atleast 4 timezones, and 2-3 continents in this game alone. Not everyone will be awake, or even available with school and RL getting in the way.

Same as where I've played before. You'll note, I made no comment at any who weren't online at the time the game started.

Why are you asking rhetorical questions then, in the early stage of a game about asking meaningful and investigative questions?

Because rhetorical questions are simultaneously conversational and revealing.

So your plan to understand how we react is to cause unneeded chaos? This seems incredibly stupid and is not helping anybody get anywhere, except to find more reasons to lynch you.

Correction: it's not helping anyone else get anywhere. It gives me a baseline to work from.

For instance. Assume, for the moment, I survive until tomorrow. Further assume that overnight, I come up with strong evidence of another player's scum role. Having now made baseless accusations, I can compare and contrast the reaction to that against a factual accusation.

Known as an RVS vote (Random voting stage vote), but with reasons that should have been fleshed out in a BM. You really should have learned more about how to play on this forum first.

BM: Beginner's Mafia? Or is there an alternate read for that acronym? Honest question.

Playing mafia on a different forum only requires knowledge of the forum-specific rules. The game itself plays the same.

If you want to know why i'm suspicious of you, heres the list:
-You dodged a question that was also a slight accusation, even if the accusation wasn't directed at you.
-Your flailing a lot right now, not something most mafia players do.
-Your answers to all of these questions don't sit well with me, regardless of how many you've answered. That doesn't make you town.
-Your asking me to unvote you because you think my vote is invalid because of its starting point, ignoring how i've been pursuing it.

All fair and valid reasons. I withdraw my request. Vote as your conscience and intuition see fit.

Yes, it is. Most day 1 votes are started with a small thing you find wrong, or just a random person picked from the masses in your first wave of questions. You've given me no reason to get rid of it, and its certainly making you react. Do you understand the concept of a pressure vote? Because if your overreacting this much from a single vote, it doesn't bode well for later in the game.

;D

I do hope to survive day one. This proves quite fun so far. :D

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2013, 01:03:55 pm »

The Whiteboard
makeinu: RangerCado
Max White: Persus13

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Thursday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2013, 02:52:07 pm »

Would you bother to read everything if one of them were your scum partner?

I might skim it to see if anything useful shows up or there's something that I actually need to respond to.

Also now I'm curious, why somebody bad?

Because they might do something dumb like send in their night action without consulting the rest of the team or play so poorly in the day game that I get incriminated somehow.

I would bus a player like that, but who knows, the guy might be so awful he screws it up somehow.

I haven't really seen anybody actually play that badly in a while, but it's happened.

So.  Why did you ask this question of who you asked it of?

It's a gauge of experience and skill. I'd say it's a better gauge than asking the new people 'hey bro how experienced r u'.

Experienced players will answer one way, inexperienced players will answer another. I'm not going to say which way because I don't want to spoil the answer.

This will affect how I perceive and treat these players, so it's not a useless fluff question like the words I would use to describe my play style.

How do you deal with a game with this high a percentage of newblood?

Play regularly, just without the knowledge of their meta.

I.E., if I see them do something I consider scummy I'll press them about it, same as usual.

It seemed to work well enough in Supernatural 6, and I was wrong about all my suspects, as per usual.

It bugs me too, but since when are you an English Enforcer?

It's because I'm OLD and CRANKY.

Also, considering all the attention to detail Imp puts in her posts, she seems ripe for a ribbing when she messes up.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2013, 03:40:53 pm »

makeinu
Yes, though it's not a solo effort, of course.
Would you please explain what you mean by this statement?
This question still stands.

What makes you think I am tunneling?
But more so, seems other people are very invested in makeinu, but you are casually slipping in that he "isn't really suspicious", without the trouble of addressing any of those people. So tell me, what do you make of the current case against him?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 55