Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 55

Author Topic: Paranormal 23 - Game Over!  (Read 142811 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 23 - Day 1 - Trouble at Sea
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2013, 08:26:33 pm »

...You really can't see what communication is, or you're deliberately prodding me with this assumed ignorance. Max

It continues communication given that you can still talk to him about it. It closes no lines nor does it make any possible conversation become a full stop! How does that kind of scenario even stop anyone from asking him anything? Yes it tells 'I'm wrong and oops!' but it also gives way to other questions along that line! Why did he ask that in the first place? Did he not check back to make sure? Why is he backing off...

All that!

In your hypothetical scenario, you can bring up what he was stating, and then shove it in his face on why he did what he did and query on what he assumed you were doing.

And yes, I'm questioning people who I think are turning out a little suspicious, yourself among them. Do you have a problem with that? I'll target who ever I like.
I've a problem with how you're stating all this. You're only targeting specific people and then homing in on them, without being precise and to the point.

I mean given how what we're discussing has a direct tangent to Persus, I see nothing as of recent note on you poking on him.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2013, 08:26:59 pm »

Toaster:
Why did you cast a wide net and question everyone instead of focusing your attention?

I think in wholes.  How people respond to me and interact with each other will focus my attention for me.  When people seem Scummy they sure do get my attention.  When not, I think I should talk to everyone as best as I can.  There's only 11 of us.  I've learned how to count to 10 other people in a Mafia game; ten isn't actually 'a lot' to me anymore.

I'm also worried that if I just look at X people, then I'm going to pick the Scummiest of that subset as the highest probability of their being Scum.  That happened to me in the now finished BM42.  I looked for two Scum, picked out two super Scummy players D1 and believed I'd solved the whole thing.  Town did win in the end, but neither of my two 'obv-Scum' picks were Scum.  So I'm watching everyone as best I can.

I'm going to avast this ship until we sail over some land lubbers.

The way you use avast there - what does avast mean to you?

makeinu:
...That, is not a good answer. If no one reacted in anyway to it, you should have pushed about it. Asking why the questioner didn't respond to it would be a good start to get some pressure up.
If no one reacted to it, then that tells something.

Explain what you would get from no one reacting to it, what a complete lack of reaction would mean to you.  I'm trying to understand how you think and specifically what your motivations are.  I know what you've said about that - what I am trying to understand is how your behavior and choices support or fail to support your claim.

Further assume that overnight, I come up with strong evidence of another player's scum role. Having now made baseless accusations, I can compare and contrast the reaction to that against a factual accusation.

This statement looks glaringly wrong to me.  You are saying that you made 'baseless' accusations in order to possibly compare reactions to 'factual' accusations?

For one thing, only one player knows if any claim that's made is 'fact' or not - and that's the player that claimed it.  To everyone else, that 'factual' accusation is possibly false, possibly true.  You have talked about needing a team to Scumhunt - why are you making what you directly say are 'baseless' accusations, why have you talked about your 'invalid' vote - given that you seem aware that you need to work with others in order to convince people that a lynch is needed.

Why do you think, given you speak of 'invalid' and 'baseless' accusations and votes from yourself, that we will believe you later, should you make any sort of claim?  This seems like you're making up what you say more or less completely on the spur of the moment.  That's not Town.  I'm going to ask again - are you trying to get yourself lynched?

Persus13:
Persus13:  Pretend you are Town and have a day inspect, and you need to use it right now (immediately after you read this question) or it will be lost.  Who do you pick to inspect and why did you pick that person, or do you pick to lose your inspect and why?
I'd inspect makeinu. I'm not sure what he is and I'd like to know. What type of inspect?

Purposely left unspecified, actually.  I'm not as read up on Paranormal roles as I am on Supernatural and still can't seem to get properly into reading the old games and even the full roles list of this one.  Every time I try I either get interrupted or I totally lose focus (super rare for me).  So I'm not even sure what types of inspects there are here.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2013, 08:38:12 pm »

...You really can't see what communication is, or you're deliberately prodding me with this assumed ignorance. Max

It continues communication given that you can still talk to him about it. It closes no lines nor does it make any possible conversation become a full stop! How does that kind of scenario even stop anyone from asking him anything? Yes it tells 'I'm wrong and oops!' but it also gives way to other questions along that line! Why did he ask that in the first place? Did he not check back to make sure? Why is he backing off...

All that!

In your hypothetical scenario, you can bring up what he was stating, and then shove it in his face on why he did what he did and query on what he assumed you were doing.

And yes, I'm questioning people who I think are turning out a little suspicious, yourself among them. Do you have a problem with that? I'll target who ever I like.
I've a problem with how you're stating all this. You're only targeting specific people and then homing in on them, without being precise and to the point.

I mean given how what we're discussing has a direct tangent to Persus, I see nothing as of recent note on you poking on him.
Persus isn't throwing out OMGUS votes now, is he? Why do you want to move the conversation to him so badly?

The point still remains that we ask each other questions with the hope of provoking some sort of response. When you interject on these questions, as you did, it may give scum a chance to modify their answers in a way that better suits their needs. You give them information to work from. As far as asking 'Why did you ask that in the first place', I don't see why you couldn't have waited until I gave a reply and saw what I had to say. You seem to have interrupted another players scum hunting.

Anyway, did you shove it in his face?

Sure, you can keep talking, but things would have changed and the initial line of questioning might not be effective anymore. You would have messed up somebodies scum hunting.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 03, 2013, 08:46:30 pm »

I don't see a problem. I gave an accusation, and Tiruin wanted context. I don't have a problem with that, as if I hadn't been leaving for school right after that post, I would have provided more.

Persus

Persus
And I just got up and the thread is 4 pages longer. Uh-oh.

Max: Why are you tunneling someone D1 for something that isn't really suspicious again?

I'll answer more questions later.
How is he tunneling and how is that something not that really suspicious?
Him talking to Makeinu seemed very similar to him talking to NQT last Supernatural. I say tunneling because Max hasn't really talked to anyone else besides when RangerCado got involved. At the moment, everyone is a nulltell to me at the moment. I answer the not suspicious thing in my post to Max.
...Which means how talking to NQT? Define in qualitative details.
..And tunneling is a term used to describe very narrow vision for an extended amount of time. This is only the first day. However that is an interesting point.
Well in Supernatural he seemed to be exclusively attacking NQT and continually finding new things that were scummy about NQT. I'm fairly newby, so I called that tunneling in that game, so I was just bringing that over. Pounding on is likely a better term.

Persus13:
Is there a reason you would want Tiruin as a player? All you've said is because of the way I worded the question, you wouldn't need to worry about alignment. Why would you want her as someone you could trust through the game?
She's hard to read. If I wanted a teammate, I'd go probably go with Jim or Toaster. Both are veterans and seem good at this, scum or town.

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 03, 2013, 09:27:47 pm »

Um, hi. Confession time.

So, it turns out I may have been a little manic yesterday, due to an unforeseen drug interaction. And by may have, I mean was completely. And by a little, I mean a lot.

Apologies all around. It exacerbated my natural tendencies toward paranoia and strange behaviour.

makeinu
Yes, though it's not a solo effort, of course.
Would you please explain what you mean by this statement?
This question still stands.

Scum hunting is a team effort, even if the town doesn't know who's on their team. I thought that pretty obvious, thus the skip over on the answer. I hope that clarifies.

You have one person voting you. Why do you assume you are the one who is going to hang today?

Please, read the note above re: paranoia. Past games, acting as I have has  generally ensured my D1 lynch or N1 kill.

Playing mafia on a different forum only requires knowledge of the forum-specific rules. The game itself plays the same.
This isn't quite true. Different forums also have different cultures, different scum-tells and different ways of scum hunting. Have you looked at the Mafia Theory thread and was there anything like that on your forum?

In depth, and no. I'm not sure that I agree that different forums have different scum-tells, but I'll accept the possibility that I'm mistaken.

<sarcasm>
However that is an intersteting pint.

I like a pint now and then, but I have never heard of an intersteting one. </sarcasm>

Sorry, couldn't resist. :P

makeinu: You said if no one reacted, you would do nothing. That implies that you believed that if no reaction was produced then the information was useless. And as stated below, the game will not be played the same because of the different preset cultures and play styles. The styles evolved around the forum and so will be that much different as you've likely seen so far. For example, the massive use of acronyms. Do you believe you will get better at understanding the general playstyles here, or will you continue to play as you have elsewhere? Also, do you have a current suspect or someone your trying to pursue?

No reaction can be informative, in that it is itself a reaction, so I wouldn't say useless. It's, again, about establishing a baseline. In 20/20 hindsight, subtlety could have worked just as well. And, yes, I'll adapt to the style here, though that will likely only serve to temper, not utterly change, my own style. I yam whats I yam, after all.

And, at the moment, no suspect. Just some intuitiony brainitches.

Those are not real words, merely wordish. Sort of.

makeinu:
...That, is not a good answer. If no one reacted in anyway to it, you should have pushed about it. Asking why the questioner didn't respond to it would be a good start to get some pressure up.
If no one reacted to it, then that tells something.

Explain what you would get from no one reacting to it, what a complete lack of reaction would mean to you.  I'm trying to understand how you think and specifically what your motivations are.  I know what you've said about that - what I am trying to understand is how your behavior and choices support or fail to support your claim.

I don't know that I entirely buy the whole right-brain/left-brain dichotomy thing whatever, but starting from that, I tend to play more a right-brain game. I have to have reactions to things to understand people. So, I give them something to react to. Thus, no reaction is, itself, a tell; it means that person is not easily rattled. Given that, if, later, I say something that does rattle them, then either I've just caught them at a bad moment (it happens), or I've struck a nerve.

Further assume that overnight, I come up with strong evidence of another player's scum role. Having now made baseless accusations, I can compare and contrast the reaction to that against a factual accusation.

This statement looks glaringly wrong to me.  You are saying that you made 'baseless' accusations in order to possibly compare reactions to 'factual' accusations?

For one thing, only one player knows if any claim that's made is 'fact' or not - and that's the player that claimed it.

True, but even that is not necessarily a guaranteed thing. Sometimes, what we "know" to be true is deliberately false, due to whatever factors, paranoid investigations, power redirects, stuff like that. Not saying those exist in this game, but my inclination is to assume the craziest and work against that.

I'm going to ask again - are you trying to get yourself lynched?

No.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 03, 2013, 10:12:32 pm »

Scum hunting is a team effort, even if the town doesn't know who's on their team. I thought that pretty obvious, thus the skip over on the answer. I hope that clarifies.
Do you really believe this, or are you just saying that with the hopes that it will sound like a pro town enough?

If this really is part of your mantra, why are you content to cause 'unneeded chaos' just for your own benefit, as you confessed to doing here:
So your plan to understand how we react is to cause unneeded chaos? This seems incredibly stupid and is not helping anybody get anywhere, except to find more reasons to lynch you.

Correction: it's not helping anyone else get anywhere. It gives me a baseline to work from.

For instance. Assume, for the moment, I survive until tomorrow. Further assume that overnight, I come up with strong evidence of another player's scum role. Having now made baseless accusations, I can compare and contrast the reaction to that against a factual accusation.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 03, 2013, 10:27:41 pm »

Um, hi. Confession time.

So, it turns out I may have been a little manic yesterday, due to an unforeseen drug interaction. And by may have, I mean was completely. And by a little, I mean a lot.

Apologies all around. It exacerbated my natural tendencies toward paranoia and strange behaviour.

That sounds a bit like an excuse for getting away with causing excess suspicion as scum. "Oops, I messed up, but it wasn't really me. Ignore my suspicious posts."
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:30:00 pm by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 03, 2013, 10:35:12 pm »

Um, hi. Confession time.

That sounds a bit like an excuse for getting away with causing excess suspicion as scum. "Oops, I messed up, but it wasn't really me. Ignore my suspicious posts."

Friendly note since you're new: Due to the potential consequences of edited posts, editing posts is not allowed in mafia games. If you need to change something, quote yourself and make the change there.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 03, 2013, 10:36:57 pm »

Um, hi. Confession time.

Friendly note since you're new: Due to the potential consequences of edited posts, editing posts is not allowed in mafia games. If you need to change something, quote yourself and make the change there.

Thanks, I missed that rule.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2013, 10:37:10 pm »

Like this.
Fix'd.

Anyway, you have a bit of a back log of questions to answer TheDarkStar. I'm curious as to what you have to say.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2013, 10:37:41 pm »

Do you really believe this, or are you just saying that with the hopes that it will sound like a pro town enough?

You do realize that there's literally no way to answer that question that won't confirm your already held beliefs, right?

TheDarkStar: thank you. I'll pass your input on to my neurologist when I see him next week.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 03, 2013, 10:42:17 pm »

TheDarkStar:  Of the players in this game with you, who do you know the best and how well do you know that/those person(s)?  How many of the B12 Mafia games have you read so far, and how completely have you read the one you know the best?

The people I recognize best are the hyperactive posters here, from looking through this thread. I have Mafia experience, but not B12 Mafia experience, and I have not looked over any Mafia games yet. Yes, I realize that was not the best idea (at least now).

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 03, 2013, 10:43:33 pm »

You do realize that there's literally no way to answer that question that won't confirm your already held beliefs, right?
Well you certainly try. Explain yourself a little. You don't need to convince me if you can convince everybody else, so why would you refuse to give an answer?

Also, what 'already held beliefs' would you be referring to?

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 03, 2013, 10:49:24 pm »

"Yes, I really believe this, my behaviour aside."

"Ah ha! But that's exactly what scum would say!"

"No, I don't really believe this. I believe that sometimes scum-hunting is a solo venture."

"So, you admit to being scum! Or do you just think you're smarter than everyone else?"

Also, what 'already held beliefs' would you be referring to?

That you believe my posts indicate I am scum, or at least scummy.

Maybe I'm just projecting. I'm tired today, it's been a very long day.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 55