Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Evolution based games  (Read 11733 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution based games
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2014, 03:27:11 pm »

It really says something about the hype campaign of spore that I'm still disappointed by the game despite not having touched it in years.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2014, 03:51:31 pm »

It really says something about the hype campaign of spore that I'm still disappointed by the game despite not having touched it in years.

It is because no matter how bad it was and how disappointed we were... ultimately Spore was a game with a lot of potential, potential you could feel in your hands.

When you played Spore, when you watched the videos, you felt like there was a amazing game buried under company mandate.

It wasn't like Fable where they spoke of features that honestly, were never going to be there (and was otherwise a solid game).

Spore felt like a game that actually could have done it.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2014, 11:23:53 pm »

I mean don't get me wrong some of the features they wanted to put into Spore just weren't possible... (The Ragdoll physics being one of them)

But to me there is a clear divide among the two members of the development team who wanted to make it a sim... and the rest who wanted to make it a series of minigames.

It wasn't just ragdoll physics, they wanted to create a system that created animations based on the physics of a given creature.. IE: If you put eyes on it's butt it would HAVE to look with it's butt to actually see anything, they would have body materials, weights, bones and the like. There was an old video where Will Wright shows a three legged lizard creature with a tail that is actually like a second mouth, so he had the option to strike and eat prey with it's long tail.. While dodging and doing expected combat things, it was suppose to be an actual representation of Evolution and how a creature might survive. THAT is the spore we deserve, but EA rushed development and took out the gore, took out all of the love. They didn't finish their animation system or the physics engine, it just ended up being a blob dress up game with half ass game genres thrown in.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2014, 11:29:54 pm »

while we're talking about that kind of things: species 0.70 is out. Including... a physics engine! Weight repartition! No longer will you see horrible pixel-thin limbs!
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2014, 02:08:36 pm »

I mean don't get me wrong some of the features they wanted to put into Spore just weren't possible... (The Ragdoll physics being one of them)

But to me there is a clear divide among the two members of the development team who wanted to make it a sim... and the rest who wanted to make it a series of minigames.

It wasn't just ragdoll physics, they wanted to create a system that created animations based on the physics of a given creature.. IE: If you put eyes on it's butt it would HAVE to look with it's butt to actually see anything, they would have body materials, weights, bones and the like. There was an old video where Will Wright shows a three legged lizard creature with a tail that is actually like a second mouth, so he had the option to strike and eat prey with it's long tail.. While dodging and doing expected combat things, it was suppose to be an actual representation of Evolution and how a creature might survive. THAT is the spore we deserve, but EA rushed development and took out the gore, took out all of the love. They didn't finish their animation system or the physics engine, it just ended up being a blob dress up game with half ass game genres thrown in.

Come to think of it it's almost like a fully rendered version of Dwarf fortress.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2014, 04:26:16 pm »

now that would be cool O_O.......DF in glorious 3D :P

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2014, 11:02:52 am »

I know that this is going to sound like heresy, but there was a really good evolution based game on Facebook, and it was a Spore spinoff. I think it's gone now, but it was really cool. Especially if you had friends playing. You would all have creatures on one island, and you would give them different stats, and you would decide what they could and could not eat. And then you'd let them run around and one species was usually the best at surviving, and your friends would have to evolve their species to make them better and to compete with yours. It was a never ending cycle of constant evolution based on what you and your friends did.

Me and my friends made one island that was nothing but herbivores, and the one that was the best was the fastest, as they would run and get to the plants first and leave nothing for the other species. However, they had poor eyesight and couldn't see very far, so the one's with the better eyesight would live on by slowly making their way up to where the more plentiful food was in order to get some before the species with great eyesight managed to get there. I will admit that I cheated this island and after sixteen intervals of my species not surviving well enough, I turned it into a carnivore that had poor eyesight but could smell really well and was ferocious. Because the rest of my friends had never had a need to give their species any defenses, I quickly overcame them. The one's with good eyesight could see my creatures coming and would run away as quickly as possible if they say mine, so they could survive but not very well. The one with the speed could escape if they saw me first, but they never did as they had the terrible eyesight. To this day, my friends still refer to that island as "Your stupid carnivore that ruined paradise." But, hey. I made sure I won.

The name of the game was called Spore Islands, and after a brief search on Facebook, it is no longer there.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2014, 12:15:16 pm »

Well that's pretty sad. It sounds like a game I would enjoy, I hope someone can turn it into a multiplayer game off of facebook.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2014, 02:46:47 pm »

It was a really good game. I would think that it wouldn't be too hard to make a game that works like it in a similar way if one knew how to program and whatnot.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2014, 03:47:24 pm »

Page not found.

GENERATION 29:

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2014, 10:19:01 pm »

http://spore.wikia.com/wiki/Spore_Islands
Yeah.. 2010 was like 4 years ago.

edit: Was probably a typical facebook freemium game anyway.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2014, 12:47:23 am »

http://spore.wikia.com/wiki/Spore_Islands
Yeah.. 2010 was like 4 years ago.

edit: Was probably a typical facebook freemium game anyway.

It actually wasn't, surprisingly enough, and that's probably why the servers were shut down. Due to the fact that no one was buying anything and because nothing gave people an edge.

GENERATION 29:

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2014, 07:36:43 pm »

Would Conway's game of life count? Because if you arrange the pattern correctly, it could for the most part, constantly expand and change.
Crack-a-lack-a

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2014, 07:55:17 pm »

Would Conway's game of life count? Because if you arrange the pattern correctly, it could for the most part, constantly expand and change.
Conway's game of life is to evolution games what billiards are to pool games.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2014, 04:58:36 am »

Okay this Species thingy looks cool. Definitaly going to try it out once I am home (;_;) as well as this Darwinbots though it seems really complex and programming-like. My undderstanding of maths and stuff you most likely need for programming is really bad, but I think if I spend much time into it... it'll work out. Hopefully.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5