Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Evolution based games  (Read 11728 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution based games
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2014, 12:49:36 pm »

I'd be delighted with a whole game that's just- Spore cell stage in immense detail.

Yeah, that would be epic.  :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 02:16:49 pm »

I'm so sad about spore. It killed my home forum, the first one I really got invested in. French forum entirely dedicated about spore. In the years prior to the release it thrived with life and RP. And then it just... died. Slowly. pathetically.
Fuck, I'm sad now.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 03:54:58 pm »

It might not really be a "game" but I'd say you could give DarwinBots a try... It's a kind of simulator where you program a cell, put a hundred copies in a virtual petri dish, and let them evolve their programming. No idea if it suits your needs, but worth mentioning.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 04:02:41 pm »

PTW
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 08:04:03 pm »

I was going to mention one of those darwinbot games.  I have fond memories of having one on my ipad, and just leaving it on with the generic green frogs.  And when you exit, it saves your spot.  Weird stuff grew after a while.  Weird stuff.  Stuff that was not green.  And definitely not frogs. 

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 03:33:23 am »

If you can find an emulator that works, or a working system, I had somewhat fond memories of Seventh Cross: Evolution for the Dreamcast.

You were the only evolving thing there, and it was somewhat easy to cheat the system and get new "parts," but it had some interesting mechanics, and a sort of storyline progression to go with it. Almost like a newer version of EVO: Search of Eden, in 3D.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2014, 05:07:06 am »

It's more of a really expensive(CPU time-wise) screensaver than a game, but I enjoyed running Critterding back when my piss-poor computer could handle it.
Can take an awful long time, and some manual intervention, to go from derpy globs that just sit there and die to voracious worms that roam the world scavenging for food. And yet more to get anywhere past that.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2014, 06:10:55 am »

I think what could have saved Spore is if they had given the creature stage a "niche" system. Where you can throw points or parts toward different stats and when you hit certain thresholds of different stats you change what niche you play in the ecosystem. I.E. whether you are a typical mammal ala crap current Spore or as a tiny insect hive thing or a full avian type creature.

And all niches would have some path to sentience/later stages, maybe even add in a niche that requires ludicrous stats but jumps right to space stage, because its a space monster :P

While it would still have been less evolution and more intelligent design, it would at least be a much better approximation then "lolol only mammals that do these exact things are important in the universe"

But then I suppose the devs would have had to put actual thought or work into the game...
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2014, 01:56:45 pm »

I wrote about thirty pages of stories on ways to improve spore back in the day  ::)
Of course spore is and would always be "intelligent design", because it's a game. Real evolution simulators are not interactive, or not directly so.

The only way to make an accurate evolution game where you directly control a creature would be to put you in control, switch you to another whenever you die, and how well you do with each randomly-mutated iteration dictate a general direction of evolution.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2014, 02:00:40 pm »

I wrote about thirty pages of stories on ways to improve spore back in the day  ::)
Of course spore is and would always be "intelligent design", because it's a game.

Sort of, it depends if you are a real entity or not. Creature creation easily count be interpreted as a sort of random series of mutations.

Spore I would have appreciated a lot more if it kept its educational edge... even if it wouldn't have been AS fun.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2014, 03:14:43 pm »

Sparkle 2 Evo is a casual little game where your organism changes based on what kind of enemies you eat.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2014, 03:12:14 pm »

Of course spore is and would always be "intelligent design", because it's a game.

Sort of, it depends if you are a real entity or not. Creature creation easily count be interpreted as a sort of random series of mutations.

Spore I would have appreciated a lot more if it kept its educational edge... even if it wouldn't have been AS fun.

If spore went full-blown educational evolution sim it would've been way, way better. Even better if it includes genetic tinkering with needles and petri dishes. In first person. With surgeon simulator controls.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2014, 03:15:50 pm »

If spore went full-blown educational evolution sim it would've been way, way better. Even better if it includes genetic tinkering with needles and petri dishes. In first person. With surgeon simulator controls.

Honestly? My opinion of this is actually yes...

SURE! It means if you are not a Apex predator you are pretty helpless most of the time... And that being a HUGE predator eating rats can be an issue...

But honestly some of the best parts of the old Sims games were just learning how things are done.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2014, 03:21:33 pm »

I am now imagining playing as a T-rex with surgeon simulator controls, flailing hopelessly attempting to eat small mammals.

I agree though, I still have all my old Simx games in my possession, somewhere. I got absolutely hooked on their products and still come back to them, I just wish spore was a *simulation*. Because seriously, screw [overt attempts at] mass appeal when you're making a goddamn life simulator.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2014, 03:24:39 pm »

I mean don't get me wrong some of the features they wanted to put into Spore just weren't possible... (The Ragdoll physics being one of them)

But to me there is a clear divide among the two members of the development team who wanted to make it a sim... and the rest who wanted to make it a series of minigames.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5