Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Evolution based games  (Read 11746 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution based games
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 02:19:13 pm »

SimEarth had more evolution than Spore. Spore evolution was pretty much limited to the cell stage alone.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 02:29:13 pm »

SimEarth had more evolution than Spore. Spore evolution was pretty much limited to the cell stage alone.

I actually really liked the cell stage in Spore, but I really wished there was more to it than what it was. Hell, I speed ran it in 8 minutes.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 02:31:17 pm »

I actually really liked the cell stage in Spore

This is literally exactly what I was thinking. I felt it was the one part of the True-Spore they showed us long ago.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 02:34:50 pm »

I actually really liked the cell stage in Spore

This is literally exactly what I was thinking. I felt it was the one part of the True-Spore they showed us long ago.

It's what is pretty much universally liked and then it's all downhill from there.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 02:37:26 pm »

I never got the hang of SimLife. My ecosystems always collapsed into a world filled with 3 types of plants and that's about it. Fun trying, though, and seeing what stuff evolved.

Had a lot more success with SimEarth.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 02:48:10 pm »

you could wait for Thrive........the development schedule is marked for having a cell stage prototype at the end of the year, or at least the start of the new one.....we just need to finish the models and the code is almost ready......

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 03:04:35 pm »

Last time I checked Thrive was 50% ideas, and 50% horrible website design.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 03:39:02 pm »

Maxis' Unnatural Selection was a relatively poor example of the genre, but for completeness' sake:
http://platoscavern2.talkspot.com/aspx/m/873225

I've still got the old box and manual kicking around somewhere, I think.  Damned if I know where the floppy disks are now though!
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 08:35:27 pm »

Last time I checked Thrive was 50% ideas, and 50% horrible website design.

well they're programming the next prototype, several of the supposed features of the cell stage are functional, but there's a lot to do, they want to release it at the end of the year, and several members are posting art assets for it.....i hope it comes out soon, also they have released the second podcast in youtube...

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 09:51:27 pm »

SimLife is a snooze fest and an eyesore.  Avoid.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2013, 09:53:24 pm »

What exactly is SimLife? And why haven't I really heard anything about it? Are you guiding a species?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 09:56:13 pm »

You plop a bunch of creatures on a random map and they move around.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 11:33:52 am »

Resurrecting this thread because I happen to have an itch to scratch.

Is Species free or do I need to donate?

Also, SimLife was excellent.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 12:24:45 pm »

Sadly, there isn't really one that is that great. Spore was supposed to be...but...we all know that one.

Spore didn't even allow that much customization. Everything was pre-created for you, except the body of the creature...it been cooler to allow pre-created parts, but allow you to create your own mouth and stuff. As it was, placing a mouth on a Spore creature looked ugly as hell. That is just one example of pre-created parts looking horrid in Spore. Best part of Spore? Cell and space...

Spore was really limited too. Why couldn't I be something really tiny, like an insect and live as an insect colony? Like sim ant? They could have just put sim ant in the game and more modern. NO! I had to be a boring land creature.

A real evolution game isn't about mammals...that isn't realistic at all. What about insects? They evolved WAY better than most land mammals ever have. Heck, ants (as a colony) are smarter than most modern day humans...and not nearly as lazy. Work harder than any freeloaders who want free free free.

What I want in an evolution game?

Full customization. No stupid looking pre-created ugly ass mouth (or eye or anything else) parts that don't fit and look completely out of place. Able to be a sea creature, land creature or an insect. I don't even care about space. But make the world huge, gigantic, titan size, so have a ton to explore. But not barren and empty (even a desert has a lot of life). Don't bother with space, just focus on the planet...as a sea creature, you get to swim in a 3d sea. But later on, gotta watch out for civilizations who hunt (fish) for you or a number of hazards. As a land mammal, you have the potential (but rarely) to evolve intelligence...and it plays out like a real civilization would. So it turns to a total war style game almost, but a huge city builder with politics and wars and all that. But if your civilization turns lazy, it collapses on itself...or apocalyptic wars...

Or play an insect, in a modern day sim ant setting...whether its an ant or something else...every blade of grass will look giant to you...but watch out for civilizations that use pesticides and want to kill you! Or being stepped on...or ran over...

Or a deer (for example, it probably be something else)...or any number of things

maybe later, when ready, add space...like a huge expansion...but later when everything else is finished

Now THAT would be a game I'd kickstart.

My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 12:42:21 pm »

I'd be delighted with a whole game that's just- Spore cell stage in immense detail.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5