Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to Dwarf: Securing Booze  (Read 2841 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
How to Dwarf: Securing Booze
« on: November 25, 2013, 07:22:07 pm »

So this idea has been rolling in my head for a few months, decided to actually do it.  The idea is, a total start to glorious failure of a fortress, from the first keystrokes to the greatest mist generating magma-pissing statues.

Table of Contents goes here:
1: Installation and Options.
2: Finding an Embark.
3: Underground Farms.
4: Workshop Basics.

First Post will be updated with new material as it's produce, so don't put much faith in conversation happening immediately after this post, it may become confusing as the post is updated and replies no longer make sense.

This is being made with a few key ideas in mind.
1: We're not afraid to use tools.  The specific things you need to download are:
Dwarf Fortress version .34.11 - http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_34_11_win.zip
Dwarf Therapist version 20.6.6 - http://dffd.wimbli.com/download.php?id=7184&f=Dwarf+Therapist+20.6.6.zip
DFHack version .34.11 r3 - http://dethware.org/dfhack/download/dfhack-0.34.11-r3-Windows.zip

In specific, Dwarf Fortress is needed to play, obviously.  Dwarf Therapist is an immense help for any fortress that obtains more than 20 dwarves and ever has a death.  DFHack is used purely for the exceptional tool of Workflow, which can automate many irritating production aspects, such as keeping drinks in stock.

2: We're playing a singleplayer game.  We play this primarily for enjoyment, not for comparison to others.  We will not be afraid to change game attributes, options, or fiddle with things to have fun even though it may be "slightly cheaty".  We won't be afraid to set population caps or turn off invasions if needed.

At the same time...

3: We will not cheese.  We will not wall our forts in with no entrance, nor will we use "danger rooms" to quickly become incredibly powerful.  There are a few exploits in game mechanics that can result in terribly overpowered use out of very little resources, which is all strictly game-legal, but at the same time terribly inappropriate.  These exploits are a crutch, a tool a weakling uses to support themselves.  Although the function of them will be explained, it will only be in a scientific way to explain how certain things work.

4: We will avoid or ignore many tropes.  Elves will be allowed to live, migrants will be welcome, and surface forts are perfectly fine.  This tutorial fortress is meant to survive and to thrive, not to push the limits of dwarven rationality and crumble under its own hubris (don't worry, that comes later).

5: We will go slow.  Very slow.  Specific keystrokes and movements will be described in excessive detail.  This is a guide that should be friendly to even the computer illiterate.  We will progress, one slow step at a time, to describe every single action and every single purpose.  Many may consider this frustrating, as they know basic things but want help with more advanced concepts.  We'll get there eventually, because...

6: Losing is Fun.  To set upon the land and starve to death within a year is to Fail.  Failure is to be weak.  Building tall, building deep, reaching greedy, and dying to your own hubris is what it means to Lose.  Losing is Fun.  We will not remain totally safe at all times.  There will be loss, there will be death, and in the end the fortress will crumble.  Learning the keystrokes and buttons is only PART of Dwarf Fortress.  Learning how to lose is 90% of the learning curve.

With that in mind, enjoy an exceedingly long LP and tutorial wrapped together.  Feel free to post suggestions on things to cover or things not made clear.  Ideally, this should be able to cover just about every function of a dwarven fortress, and if something is lacking then it should be worked upon!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:33:51 am by Girlinhat »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: A Comprehensive Tutorial: How to Dwarf
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 07:33:49 pm »

I always enjoy the stories that come out of your efforts, especially the science aspects. So while I hardly need a tutorial on DF, I am keen to see where this goes and what you end up shaping through this exercise.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 08:06:43 pm »

This sounds like exactly what I would have wanted when I started playing. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Good luck!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:43:22 pm »

Chapter 1: You thought you were ready to Dwarf?

PRE-EDIT: This post was too long to fit the 40,000 character limit.  The init and worldgen were moved to pastebin to make room!  This may be inconvenient as it means opening more links.  At the bottom of this post is a link to a .zip that contains the modifications described here and a pre-made world.

So by this point you should have downloaded 3 .zip files (DF, Therapist, and Hack) and trying to shout at your monitor "Alright Girlinhat I'm ready to-" STOP RIGHT THERE!  Let's go over basic installation first!

You should have a download list that looks like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What you want to do, is unzip all those, and just sorta stuff them all into the same folder.  Don't worry, they play nice!  The ONE thing that'll happen, is that DFHack will try to replace SDL.dll in the main DF folder - this is fine!  DFHack also gives you SDLreal.dll - if you want to uninstal DFHack, you can delete SDL and rename SDLreal into SDL and everything is fine.  Either way, DO replace that file!
Your folder probably won't have a "PICTURES" folder.  It's simply where I'm storing the pictures on my local computer.  It's fine if you want to add your own pictures folder though!

Now, open \Dwarf Fortress\.34.11 Chucklefuck\data\init\init.txt (that is, open the Data folder, then the Init folder, then open "init.txt" inside there).  It should look like this:
http://pastebin.com/PLvJMrUa
You'll want to change it, or simply copy this and replace the entire thing:
http://pastebin.com/itDvjM1K
What we've changed:
Turned off the music.
Turned off the intro.
Slightly tuned the size of tiles used.
Turned on Truetype.
Lowered FPS cap from 100 to 50.

You may leave the music and intro on or off, it simply gets old to me after a while.  Truetype is optional, but the default font is a bit harsh on the eyes and not perfectly suited to many things.  Using a different font is often VERY helpful, or simply required.

Many players will search for the best FPS they can achieve.  I found when learning to play, the default FPS was too high for me to keep track of what was happening.  Lowering the FPS limit gave me more time to think and observe what was happening.  After a few weeks of play, I started unlimiting my FPS (set to 0, let it run as fast as your CPU allows).

Now, in the same folder, open d_init.txt - init is mostly configuration, d_init is game options and difficulty settings.
It should look like this:
http://pastebin.com/4sMfLCxZ
You'll want to make it look like this:
http://pastebin.com/cChrsNdY
What we've changed:
Turned on autosave.
Turned off invaders and artifacts - don't worry, they'll be turned back on later!
Made coffins deny burial of pets by default - normally any given coffin will get stuffed with one of the hundreds of cats that invariably eats your fortress from the inside out.
Turned autolabor off - new migrants will arrive with NO jobs enabled.
Changed the population cap from 200 to 50 - this is a good idea for now.
Changed the baby cap from 100 to 5 - damn their little pitter patter!
Made engravings start obscured - normal engravings look like something, but with them set as 'obscure' they simply look like nice floor tiles, which is much easier to see.
Show flow amounts - instead of just seeing ~ water, you'll see 3 water.  This becomes vital in fluid architecture.
Changed nicknames from REPLACE_FIRST to REPLACE_ALL - when you enter the fortress, you are given a new job, a new life, and a new name!

For those playing with Truetype font enabled (which should be most of you) grab this:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4460

The default font given is a bit iffy.  It doesn't have quality symbols or gender, such as ♂ or ☼ and these symbols will display as squares.  I personally find the tuffy font linked above has a nice size, and sufficient quality display to work.
Open \Dwarf Fortress\.34.11 Chucklefuck\data\art and replace the font.ttf with the tuffy font, making sure it's actually named "font.ttf" - if you wish to keep the old font just in case, rename it "font2.ttf" or somesuch so you can swap them around later.

Next, you want to do is grab an advanced world generation parameter:
http://pastebin.com/kwjiViQN
In \Dwarf Fortress\.34.11 Chucklefuck\data\init you'll want to open the world_gen.txt and scroll to the very bottom, skip a few spaces, and insert the code above.  This will allow you to generate a specific type of terrain that's easier for new players to adjust to.

Finally, you'll want to disable aquifers.  Many players will argue about this, claiming that it's a natural challenge to the game, that it should be dealt with normally and is actually a valuable resource as free infinite water AND as free infinite water disposal (don't question it, they're magical things).  However, proper use and misuse of an aquifer is HIGHLY ADVANCED dwarven protocol - let no one tell you otherwise.  Much like an atomic powerplant, it can be both highly beneficial or highly destructive, and you can handle them later!  The truth is, 99% of aquifers cut you off from stone access, which is vital, and you can handle an aquifer on another fortress once you've figured out how to actually mine or farm!

Aquifers are very well documented, in particular:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Aquifer
If you want to remove aquifers entirely:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Aquifer#Text_editor_.28All_operating_systems.29
If you want to handle them yourself, this is the most widespread method:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Aquifer#The_cave-in_method

In this particular instance, we'll simply be taking "the modding method" and removing aquifers entirely.

Now you're ready to actually open the game!  Simply navigate to your DF folder, and open Dwarf Fortress.exe and you should get two windows.  The first will be a standard Dwarf Fortress window (with truetype font, if you enabled that) and the second will look like this:
This is DFHack.  For now, leave it alone.  Maximize DF proper (if you want) and scroll down to Design New World with Advanced Parameters:
Choose DEEPFLAT and Generate the world:
It should generate very quickly - if it fails a few times and finally succeeds, that's perfectly normal!

In our case, we've generated The Future Planets as the name of the whole world, and it looks to be a decent world.  These specific design parameters are designed to generate an extremely flat world, with mountains in the west and ocean in the east.  This particular world is cold in the south and hot in the north, sometimes it's reversed but for now this is how it is.

Assuming you've done this right, you now have generated a decent world!  Or, for cheaters, here's the exact world saved, as well as the font, init, and d_init with changes.  init and d_init go inside data\init while the font goes inside data\art and the world folder goes inside data\save.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8180

Now you are ready to dwarf.  We will actually embark next time!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:59:04 pm by Girlinhat »

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dwarf: Strike the... d_init.txt I guess
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:53:58 pm »

Think you can do a segment on the Military System? I've been at this game for over a year and am still having trouble with it.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dwarf: Strike the... d_init.txt I guess
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 10:02:22 pm »

Think you can do a segment on the Military System? I've been at this game for over a year and am still having trouble with it.
There will be SEVERAL segments on military.  Covering uniforms, patrols, burrows, training, etc...  It'll take several posts to even start covering it.  Not to mention, there's setting up a military, and then there's setting up a military.  I'll eventually be going into great detail on the complications of schedules, alarm clocks, standing in proper formation, and getting their damn tiny little socks in order!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dwarf: Strike the actual earth!
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 03:40:26 pm »

So, you've got your options all set up now.  If not, too bad, we're continuing.

You should have a world generated.  Continuing from here is easy:
This will bring you to the embark selection screen!
This world is rather forgiving.  There's no aquifers, there's plenty of metals, and lots of room to pick nice flat areas.  First thing we're going to do here is hit Tab a few times, to change to the elevation indicator:
The default location has started us in the mountains.  We're going to move away from that, and find a nice place with a river, flat land, and resources!
This will do:
You'll notice several features that are rather nice.  First is that it has flux stone, deep metals, deep soil, and clay, all fairly useful things!  It is also HEAVILY wooded, warm, and has a brook.  Hotter or colder climates can mess with water supplies, which can endanger future construction projects.  Plenty of available wood will also promote the metal industry - you've got to burn something!

Other embark options exist.  This world in particular has mountains, ice, oceans, and deserts, and in the center of it all, flat temperate areas.  Mountains can be useful due to their surface stone and sheer walls, allowing natural defenses that can be used to your engineering and aesthetic advantage, however these often demand more construction, as parts may be too steep to climb, and stairs needed to prevent migrants from getting stuck.  Tropical Grassland biomes are also interesting, as they have higher chances to spawn animals such as elephants and cheetahs.  Good and Evil areas are both rather terrifying, containing a number of exotic creatures otherwise unavailable in the world.

But for now, we're playing it easy!

With the spot selected, we will condemn 7 honest workers to their death found a new settlement for the dwarven empire!

Now...
As any successful dwarven leader knows, you need to prepare for every step of your future progress take whatever you're given, cats and all, and get there ahead of those lame planning-people who are going to show up late and not get any booze because you got there first and drank it all!
Dingoes huh...?  This sounds serious.  Are we sure we're ready for this?  Let's see who we've got and what supplies they've brought!
First, here is our setting:
Before we do anything, open up Dwarf Therapist and take a look at who you've got!
Alright, pretty standard fare.  There's a farmer, a carpenter, a miner-

Oh lord...

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dwarf: Look for an Earth to Strike!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 08:44:27 am »

+1 for Chucklefuck!   
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 10:47:58 am »

+1 to watch later, I also want to see the military walkthrough (and the engineering).

Thanks for doing this.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 01:36:31 pm »

Before we do anything, open up Dwarf Therapist and take a look at who you've got!
Potential alternative, if you're using DFHack 0.34.11-r3: press "u" and then press "l". It's not as pretty or feature rich as Therapist, but you don't have to Alt+Tab to get to it (you do effectively need to pause the game to use it, but that's generally something you want to do anyways).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 02:28:19 pm »

Bro do you even dorf?
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 05:10:06 pm »

As any successful dwarven leader knows, you need to prepare for every step of your future progress take whatever you're given, cats and all, and get there ahead of those lame planning-people who are going to show up late and not get any booze because you got there first and drank it all!

Words to live (and have fun) by. For getting into the game, i think the best way is to play now! and not bother fiddling around with the loadout. You get a decent but not great assortment of stuff and skills and if you don't challenge yourself from the very start, the game's perfectly playable that way. I remember a newbie's attempt to do a public advice-assisted game, and they never made it to actually embark because they got bogged down fatally in the embark preparation screens and conflicting advice on what to take.

In fact, on most of my embarks i just hit play now and go right to the embark, because careful preparation is boooooorrring.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 05:14:12 pm »

That's why I used saved layouts. Figure it out once and just use that form then on. Still need to tweak things occasionally (if, say, they meat you saved isn't available next game) but for the most part you can just get started.

But I agree, for your first game it's probably better to just dive in and use the random set-up.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 05:40:51 pm »

Play Now! isn't a random setup though.  It's a certain list of things, often using "first available booze" instead of something specific.  But it includes a certain list of animals, tools, food, and dwarf skills that's essentially the same every time.

It's also one of the things a player should know on their second fort.  You successfully start a fort, and then on your second you can remember "Yeah, I didn't use those cats or that jeweler very much, I can change THAT."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dwarf: Securing Snacks
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 10:22:35 pm »

"Hey Bomrek!"
"*Sigh* What is it, Urist?"
"I'm hungry."
"We have plenty of plump helmets in the wagon.  And meat.  And fish.  And-"
"Yeah alright.  But I want something with Sweet Pods.  That syrup is so good!"
"Urist we're founding a new colony of the dwarven empire.  We're not out here to just binge on sugary syrup and-"
"..."
"Alright look.  We've got to start a farm here if we want to survive.  We've got enough food to survive for a few months, but we've really got to grow our own food if we hope to stay here very long.  So first order of business is to get a farm.  How much do you know about farming, Urist?"
"I am a miner."
"Right, nothing then.  To build a farm, ye need either soil, or mud.  We're standing on dirt, that's plenty good soil and we can make a farm right here.  Well, we could, except we've only got dwarven seeds.  Plump helmets won't grow in the sunlight.  But right underneath this top layer of soil, there's nice dark ground where we can plant our crops.  Further down is solid stone.  If we want to plant crops that deep underground, we'll have to bring buckets of water to muddy the floor, and then we can plant crops atop the mud."
"That sounds complicated!"
"A little.  Right now we'll just dig into the dirt a bit and plant some fields.  So you're a miner, how much do you know about digging?"
"I am an adequate miner."
"You don't know much then *sigh*.  Alright, first things first, we need to get UNDER the ground.  You need to get right about here, and dig a set of stairs down."
Press Escape to leave the designation menu, then Spacebar to unpause, and your miner will perform the action immediately, then hit Spacebar again to pause.
"Bomrek, something looks weird about these stairs."
"Well you're not much of an engineer either are you, eh?  Alright, it works like this.  Imagine the world is one huge grid.  Every tile of the grid has a FLOOR and a WALL.  Like where you're standing now?  You have a grass FLOOR and a WALL made of air.  What you just did over there, you turned the FLOOR from a grass into a downstairs.  But for stairs, you've got to have them in pairs!  The FLOOR down has to connect to a WALL up!  So yer next job is to go RIGHT below that one, and make a stairs up.  See, now ye've got a pair of stairs all happy together."
"Bomrek stairs are weird."
"Alright, now that we've actually got a path underground, we can start mining an area out.  We'll want a decently sized area, at least 10 by 10 to fit a big farm.  So you'll want to mine through the dirt to clear away the WALL portions, but leave the FLOOR available to plant your goddam sweet pods on."
"Next step, we need to lay out where the farm is gonna be!"
Unpause, and wait for someone to finish the construction.
"Finally, ye want to tell everyone what you're growing here, and make sure there's someone actually working the field."
"Oh, you're a farmer then Bomrek?  You enjoy playing with yer dainty little plant bits then?  No interest in some nice manly stonecrafting and boulders and-"
"Remind me, Urist, how do ye expect to get any of your damned sweet pods when the farmer's busy strangling you?"
"...I'll go back to mining then."
"We've got enough provisions from the Mountainhome to support ourselves for now.  So on this Spring, we'll grow some Sweet Pods.  For the rest of the year we'll grow Plump Helmets.  Remember we can go back and change our minds whenever we want, and we'll probably have more farms later for making cloth and dye.  Having a whole farm devoted to mushrooms is a good way to make sure no one starves!"
"When do you think I'll finally get some of that delicious, syrupy-"
"Shut up Urist.  We've still got to get lumber stocks under control and clear a bit of the tunnels to start building workshops."
Pages: [1] 2