Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 Multiplayer with a RP-Twist: The Alan Tribes  (Read 6350 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Crusader Kings 2 Multiplayer with a RP-Twist: The Alan Tribes
« on: November 25, 2013, 05:55:19 pm »

Hello guys since my LP with an alternative history germany failed due to savegame invalidations i have come up with this little idea here.

CK2 Multiplayer Challenge: The Alan Tribes

Goal: RP-Experience (Competitive yes but not in the regular CK2 sense)
Number of Players: 5
Start Year: 876
Government: Elective, Crown Law may never disallow war with outside Nations

So what am i going on about is that we take the Old Gods Start and play the 5 Chieftains of the Alans available there.
Each player takes control of a single tribe.
These 5 Horse Tribes are bound by strong tradition and Old Customs. And thus the game will be more leaning towards RP.

First of some general Rules:

One may not subjugate another tribes to its extinction. That means a tribe always has to be left at least one county. While the 5 Tribes do often war with each other they know that they also depend on the other Tribes. Thus the destruction of another Tribe is an affront to the Alan People which are weakened as it is.

However the right of Blood Feud applies: If one Member of a Tribe is killed by another the injured Party either has the right to kill one member of the opposing Tribe or a fine set by the injured party or they can claim a single county for themselves( Rule of Non-Subjugation). A tribe may be extinguished in such matter.

That means that Tribal Warfare is allowed. But like back in those times it was contained to Feuds.

Succession, The King of Tribes and the Council:

No Tribe would ever agree to a ruler he has not chosen. Thus the Council of Five elects a new King after the Death (sometimes even before) of another. This Means Succession Law of the Alan Tribes has to stay Elective.

Within the Tribes themselves any kind and way of Succession is allowed.

Lands and Expansion:

The Alan Tribes are a nomadic people which will only take as much land as it needs, thus the Land of the Kingdom may never exceed the maximal provinces each tribe can hold. Furthermore lands may never be given to members outside of a dynasty or tribe. Also a province may only be held by One Chieftain. He can never give land to his children of the same dynasty to circumvent this.

They are also a customary people and slow to expand. Thus the Alans can only expand once all their lands are of the Alan Culture. Once this is achieved they can expand and conquer new Lands. However! this rule doesn't apply to the people as a whole but to each single tribe. So the Alans may have 5 simultaneous wars going on at the same time.

On the Matter of War:

In a Defensive War the Alans all have to work together, each Tribe has to support the other Tribes with all his Levies (that means all you can raise, not only those your liege can get from you automatically).

The King may Call the Banners in an Offensive War. When he does that each Tribe has to provide Levies on top of the Standard Liege Levies. Each Tribe has to send a Contingent of at least One County worth of Levies. However the Tribes can provide more if they so wish.

If new Land is won in such a War the King first has the right to pick ONE County for his own tribe the next county will go to a tribe of his choice and the following to another and so on until he runs out of Counties to give away. In the Next War he again has the pick for the first County but has to give the following Counties to Tribes which didn't get anything in previous wars.

On the Matter of Land Distribution: The Tribes have no use for Lands Spread far and wide, thus their Lands ALWAYS have to form one Cohesive Landmass.

On the Matter of Reconquering:
However the Tribes also are fiercely protective of their lands, thus they may freely conquer lands which belong to the Kingdom of Alania(the dejure one) and lands with their Culture in it, since they own them anyway.

Marriage:
Among the Tribes it is only natural that a Non-Alan may not be married. Everything else goes. And who you take for a concubine is your own business.

Okay i propably scared off a lot of players already but those who are still here is there interest for such a game? It is obviously more interested in Inter-Tribalwarfare and is more RP-Heavy then anything else.

Something more Organizational: It would be nice if either all Players agreed to write the Chronicles of their Tribes and post them here after a session or if one player volunteers as the Great Chronicler who describes the history of all the Tribes.

EDIT: What i forgot we will be using Version 2.01. it doesnt matter if you use steam or not but you need this version to make all the different DLCs work.  You don't need any DLC, in a multiplayer game you basically piggyback on the host. You can use the DLCs the Host uses.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 05:56:52 pm by Ghazkull »

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 Multiplayer with a RP-Twist: The Alan Tribes
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 07:19:24 pm »

I am vaguely interested.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 07:43:38 pm »

I've never used the Old Gods DLC, so I'm interested in sponging off your copy.  :P

Two things:
1) How does culture conversion work?  In native, it's terribly, terribly hard to convert culture, so does pagan have something to help?
2) While I'm fine with the number of rules (once I figure out what they all mean, it gets kind of complex), you might want to simplify and reduce.  You really don't want to pause the game constantly just because everyone has to figure out whether they can or can't do something.

Other than that, sounds like fun!

P.S. - I should also add that I've done (started?) a few LPs, so I'd be comfortable with doing an LP of my own tribe.  I'd definitely not volunteering to be The Great Loremaster of All Tribes, though (that is waaaay too much work for me, lol).

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 08:16:26 pm »

I'm interested, though the Alans start of pretty weak in the 867 start (and not even independent) so surviving the first 50 years will be interesting.

I'll echo EurcheJack's concerns about the slowness of culture spread and rule complexity though.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 09:13:13 am »

The 867 start is intentional due to the Alans being weak there, it makes it more interesting. I have played it several times and usually a year after the start there is a golden chance to become independent so that eases up many things.

The slow culture spread  is taken into account to make expansion slow. The Game is less centered around the constant wars of blobbing that usually erupt in CK2 and more on the internal fighting over the lands you have and raids to the outside. However with players who usually try and get High Stewardship characters (and since all provinces are player owned) the culture conversion is going WAY faster than usual so it shouldnt take a hundred years between each and every bigger war.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 09:39:56 am »

However with players who usually try and get High Stewardship characters (and since all provinces are player owned) the culture conversion is going WAY faster than usual so it shouldnt take a hundred years between each and every bigger war.

It can still be pretty slow, in my current game I've owned Barcelona for ~300 years and it is still Catalan. I generally have a preference for heirs with high stewardship as well.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 09:49:40 am »

(and since all provinces are player owned)

Actually, aren't we allowed to give lands to brothers, uncles, nephews, and other distant relatives?

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 10:01:26 am »

Nope. You can only claim as much land as your Dynastic Character can at maximum wield.

Hmm but if anybody has a better suggestion for the Cultural Rule im all ears. Religion seems odd since every tribe is allowed whatever religon he/she prefers.
Bt yeah Wiles the Cultural Conversion is based on a per province rate. So One Character with lets say 15 stewardship with one province would take considerably less time to convert a province then a 8 Province owning character with 15 stewardship.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 10:07:16 am »

With a 13+ Stewardship character the MTTH for the cultural conversion event is about 30 years. Also it's possible all land won't be player owned after a generation, because of gavelkind succession.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 10:12:40 am »

Assuming there is still room, count me in for this.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 11:07:29 am »

Not sure Deathsword,

Ardas, Euchre Jack, Karlito, Me, im not sure about Wiles or Mono?

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 12:08:39 pm »

Depending upon timing I'll join.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 12:11:13 pm »

Dpending on which days you guys have time I'd host between 8pm and 1am GMT+1

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 04:38:27 pm »

That pretty well limits it to Saturday or Sunday for me.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 07:08:16 pm »

With a 13+ Stewardship character the MTTH for the cultural conversion event is about 30 years. Also it's possible all land won't be player owned after a generation, because of gavelkind succession.

It's also possible to lose state stewardship to the point where a player's maximum owned lands goes down (usually due to a talented wife and/or steward dying).
Pages: [1] 2