Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Aurora: Crusade -- On Standby  (Read 2160 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Aurora: Crusade -- On Standby
« on: November 25, 2013, 02:40:16 pm »

Okay, so I'm making a terrible decision and going to try GM'ing another Aurora game (my Battlestar Artemis game is probably on permanent hiatus -- just too much that needed a rule overhaul, although I may relaunch it some day if Steve ever gets to releasing the next major upgrade).

I don't want to give too much away about the setting (because yay storyline surprises), but I wanted to get a feel for who all might be interested.
Because it's a nightmare to try running double-blind games with people on the same forum, I'm going to use a different grouping of people I know to provide the adversaries. They won't be privvy to anything you guys discuss, and vice versa.

Couple of in-house rules will be in effect:

1. Standing Operating Procedures (SOP). Rather than attempt to micromanage battles, players will mostly be assuming the roles of administrators -- production ministers, naval designers, fleet admirals, colonial governors, etc. The Admiralty (players who are fleet admirals) will be responsible for developing a "Rules of Engagement" sort of document for each ship role. If you've played Space Empires IV or V, I'm thinking something like that, only a bit more detailed. Example:

Scout SOP
Movement: Engines are to be run at flank speed (100%) at all times while in motion, or 0% if docked or in orbit. If transiting a known hostile system, engines will run at 1/2 speed (50%) to reduce thermal profile and risk of detection, unless overridden by engagement orders.

Engagement:
A. Unknown Entity
1. If unknown contact is made, vessel will match speed and course to maintain distance between contact and the vessel while communication is attempted. If contact's speed is greater than the flank speed of the vessel, vessel will make flank speed for the nearest friendly system.

2. If contact is stationary (planet, moon, orbital station or vessel at rest), vessel will close to the edge of active radar range, "ping" target for one 5-second burst to acquire detailed EM data, then go passive sensor again. If no reaction is detected, vessel may continue to scout the system at Captain's prerogative. If any reaction is detected (hostile fire, counter-ping, movement of contacts), vessel is to make flank speed for the nearest friendly system.

B. Hostile Entity
1. If a contact is made with a known hostile entity, vessel will record the number, vector and disposition of enemy forces with passive sensors only, then make 1/2 speed for nearest friendly system. If enemy forces attempt to intercept or engage, vessel will increase to flank speed.
2. If enemy forces are able to close to engagement range, weapons are to be used for defensive fire only and vessel should continue to make best possible speed for friendly territory.

Surrender/boarding is not an option. Captain is authorized to initiate self-destruct if escape is impossible. Lifepods should be disabled to prevent crew capture.

This is just an example, and this is the *standard* OP. Individual ships can always be tasked with specific mission orders that override SOP. This will make my life MUCH easier, and is a more accurate way of modelling high-level command.

2. Limited communications. We're going to assume that FTL communication exists, BUT that it's so large and complicated that it's only on planets/colonies/orbital stations. So, for a ship to receive any kind of change in orders or report in with intelligence, it's going to have to reach a friendly-controlled system (which in this case means a system with at least one friendly colony or orbital station present).

Furthermore -- we're going to assume that ships have a 4 billion km "unencrypted" communication range. This means that any communications to/from a ship at that range can be intercepted by any enemy ships or listening posts (or even spy satellites) within range. Encrypted communications will require docking (moving to the same point), and cannot be intercepted.

Beyond 4 billion km, ship-to-planet or ship-to-ship communication is impossible. (And I may futz around with the idea that at extreme range of say, 3.5-4.0 billion km, the communications may be garbled some.)

Part of the idea here is to make listening posts and things like cloaking/thermal baffling MUCH more important, as well as increasing the need to establish relays and hidden bases. Also, to make it important to have regular patrols and/or very strong planetary sensors to find those enemy listening posts in your "safe" areas.

3. Personality Traits. They've always been pretty much window dressing, right? NO MORE. Now, personality traits will actually have an impact on how captains respond and how well they follow or deviate from the SOP that you create. I'm still working out the details, but for example an Aggressive captain in a scout vessel might actually attempt to engage a single hostile rather than retreat as the SOP states. A Risk-Taker might try to get in closer to a newly discovered enemy base in order to get better intelligence, despite the warships prowling around the system. A Dynamic captain might break SOP because it makes tactical sense or do something unpredictable, while an Inflexible or Methodical captain will ALWAYS follow SOP, even in situations where it doesn't make good sense.

Before we begin play, I'll provide a list of all the personality traits and the potential in-game effects. Now, you no longer just pick the best numerical stats for the job!  :D

4. Production Cycles. Colonial Governors (there will be one for each colony) will have to list out their intended production queue for the next 12 months, at least 3 months before the end of the current planned cycle. Changes to an already implemented production queue will instigate a halt in production based on the size of the change before the new production plan can be implemented. This is modelling the fact that governments and militaries are large, unwieldy beasts that don't turn on a dime. If you had planned to build 500 factories and suddenly you need to change up and start building Missile PDCs because OMG THEY'RE COMING, there's going to be some chaos and lost output while the factories lines retool their processes, etc. I'll detail the actual mechanics of this a bit later on. I don't want it to be an exact formula because there needs to be a level of uncertainty and risk involved. You're going to have to put some forethought into what you want to build and when, and how badly you really need to make those changes.

For now, we'll assume that a colonial governor will handle both planetary construction and shipyard construction (if any). If we get a ton of people wanting to play and not enough slots, we can split those out and make the shipyard queues be a seperate thing.

5. Design Cycles. Some players will be naval designers. Your only real job is to come up with designs for the navy to request and the production ministers to start building. But, ship design in Aurora is far too easy and instant a process. Real-world design processes are a NIGHTMARE of budget overruns and delayed timelines. And making changes to incorporate some new technology can set you back months or years. To model this, a design won't be buildable until it finishes the prototype and design phase (PAD). This will be a semi-random number of 5-day increments based on the ship size, its similarity to existing designs (as measured by the lowest upgrade cost), and the amount of "new" technology being used (i.e. components that have not been used in any other production design), plus a random fudge factor (some designs look simple on paper but turn out to be a nightmare to implement before being eventually scrapped altogether). Making changes to a design which is still in PAD phase will set the approval back a certain amount based on the component construction cost (swapping in a better sensor package, not a big deal; swapping in an entirely new engine type, big deal), plus it will reroll the fudge factor.

"We kept having all sorts of problems with the lasers scrambling the communications array for minutes after firing, until the brass had us use the new Q-36 instead. Turns out the Q-36 has much better shielding, and all those problems just went away!:P

I'll be up to the navy guys to provide requirements (8,000 ton scout; must be jump-capable; top speed of 6000 km/s) and then the designers have to figure out how to get those requirements into a working design. You may well have to miss a requirement or two, or lobby the tech guys to come up with some new components that would work.

When the design reaches the end of the PAD phase, it will be posted for the Navy players to make comments on and ultimately approve or reject. If approved, it'll be available for production ministers to retool a shipyard. If rejected, it may be rejected with a request for modifications (i.e. "we like the overall design but it's undergunned. See what you can do to fix that.") or the project can be scrapped altogether.

Each designer player can only be engaged in up to one military project and two civilian projects at a given time. This is why the Navy may decide to scrap a project altogether -- it's going nowhere and taking up a design slot that they need to use for something else.

6. Research Cycles. Already pretty well implemented. Each colony that has research labs will have a research administrator that decides what to research, how many labs to allocate, etc. The Administrator will also design and research components, either at their own behest or as requested by other players.

7. Personnel Administrator. Each side will have a Personnel Administrator that ultimately decides what NPCs get assigned where (i.e. which scientists go to which Research Administrator, which colonies get which administrator -- this is different from the PC "Colonial Governor", etc.) The Personnel Administrator will NOT control military personnel. That will fall to the Admiral of the Navy, or whomever he/she designates to handle personnel matters. NOTE: Personnel (civilian *and* military) will not be teleporting to their new assignments. There will be a number of civilian "courier" ships that will physically load them on and deliver them to their destination. These courier ships will be potentially vulnerable to attack and means that you may wind up requesting a less-brilliant researcher or less-skiller officer because he's already in-system and you don't have to wait two months for him/her to shuttle halfway across the empire to get there. You can also load them up on any ship that already happens to be around and happens to be going that way...

8. Roles. So obviously, everybody is going to have a relatively narrow role to play. This makes it easier for you guys in terms of what you have to keep track of personally, and it means LOTS of roleplay and arguing/haranguing/internal politics as you all jockey for limited resources and unlimited demands but ultimately have to cooperate to ensure victory.

On the civilian side, there will be a Head of State who has sort of the big "picture" job. He has authority over all the civilian players. He has no authority over naval players but has to work with the Admiral of the Navy and can apply pressure by directing Production Ministers/Researchers/etc away from making or researching what the navy wants.

The Head of State has only two real powers: he can remove any civilian player from their job and he can appoint a civilian player to any vacant job. This doesn't kick them out of the game, it means they just have to choose another available job. If there's not one available, they can always ask to join the military players.

On the military side, there will be an Admiral of the Navy with similar corresponding roles and powers. The AotN can assign any military officer to any vessel, remove an officer from a vessel, and change what Fleet Admiral is in charge of what branch.

Additionally, he decides where new ships get placed in the Order of Battle (yes, we're actually going to use the OOB feature in Aurora!)

Fleet Admirals will be in charge of specific branches of the OOB and issuing missions for vessels in their branch. I'm going to leave it to you guys to decide how that will be organized. You may do it functionally or geographically or a mix of the two -- whatever makes sense and fits however many players you have.

Ground forces will fall under the naval OOB (we're going to consider them an adjunct branch of the Navy, like the US Marine Corps). So there will be military players in charge of tending to those as well (and eventually that branch may include their troop transports, and even strike craft, fighters, etc!)

The civilian roles have already been discussed above:
Colonial Governor -- In charge of creating production queues for their colony and any associated shipyards.
Research Administrator -- In charge of assigning research queues and designing/researching components.
Naval Designers -- In charge of designing new ships and PDCs per requests from the Navy and/or colonial governors.
Personnel Administrator -- In charge of assigning civilian personnel based on requests from Governors and Research Administrators. Mostly this will be just giving people what they asked for, but you will also be the final arbitrator if there's a dispute (say, three different research administrators want Dr. Einstein assigned to their labs).

Obviously, the Head of State and Admiral of the Navy are the most demanding positions and require somebody who isn't going to disappear for six months without warning. The rest of the positions won't have nearly as much time requirement to them. I'll try to process one-month increments (will most likely be longer initially) between updates. Since you're not controlling individual space battles, the update schedule doesn't need to be as granular.

So....anybody interested or does this sound like a failtastic clusterfuck waiting to happen? :D

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 10:36:34 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora: Crusade -- Open for Signups!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 02:41:02 pm »

<reserving 2nd post for rule changes, addendums, etc.>

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 03:52:19 pm »

Interested. Will you run 6.30?

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 04:13:05 pm »

I'm interested.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 04:19:16 pm »

Sounds interesting.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 09:07:49 pm »

That's my plan. No massively game-breaking bugs that I'm aware of in 6.30 beta.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 09:12:45 pm »

I'm interested in this, sounds nice anyway.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 04:26:04 am »

That's my plan. No massively game-breaking bugs that I'm aware of in 6.30 beta.

Yay for spinal mounts and shock damage.

A few questions on the rules:
a) Is the 4bkm unencrypted range dependent on EM sensors or similar? For example, can a ship mounting a strength 10 EM sensor read more than one with a strength 5 one?
b) If you send out a courier to transfer some data, and it gets destroyed, can the other player gain the courier's knowledge by looting the vessel or something similar?
c) Will you regularly release the (password-protected) game file so we can get an overview?
[Edit: d) Also, how about Buoys both for communicating and intercepting communications?]

Also, applying for the post of Fleet Admiral for Communications and Intelligence.
(Probably much too early to think about designs, but I'd like an active-sensor equipped JP station and a passive scout both in fighter size)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:12:07 am by 3_14159 »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 04:58:17 am »

I'm so in, although I'm not sure whether I want to be a civilian or military guy.

For the communication, why don't you decide that comms is a fixed-strength emission and use the EM sensor view on the map to decide if a ship can or can't communicate? This would make it easier for you (no need to look up distances in the task group view each time) and would force us to incorpore EM sensors in all design, plus maybe design big "antenna" ships responsible to in-fleet comms (You know, to keep in touch with those pesky fighters and transmit sensor data).

Alternatively, allow comms if the EM sensor ranges overlap on the map.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 05:01:55 am »

Interested.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 05:18:53 am »

I'm in. I love designing ships in Aurora, so I'm definitely gonna be a naval designer :D. My current best ship is a 2500 ton corvette with a 30cm spinal laser that does 24 damage every 20 seconds :P

BTW, are we starting conventional, or full trans-Newtonian?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 07:12:20 am »

Any more free roles?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 08:48:46 am »

We've not signed up for anything yet, this was mostly interest check.

I'd like to propose myself as Admiral of the Fleet if the rest of the military is happy with it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 11:14:39 am »

A few questions on the rules:
a) Is the 4bkm unencrypted range dependent on EM sensors or similar? For example, can a ship mounting a strength 10 EM sensor read more than one with a strength 5 one?
I see what you're getting at (and Sheb's comment below yours) but I'm having a hard time visualizing how that would work in-game. I'm very open to the suggestion (especially because it allows for things like "radio boats" that are purpose-built for fleet communications) but I need someone to give me a detailed explanation.

b) If you send out a courier to transfer some data, and it gets destroyed, can the other player gain the courier's knowledge by looting the vessel or something similar?
Potentially, yes. Moreso if they can capture and interrogate the crew (which is why, in the sample SOP above, the whole crew is supposed to go down with the ship.)

c) Will you regularly release the (password-protected) game file so we can get an overview?
Unfortunately, no. Because you'd be able to see what was going on in systems beyond communications range. Part of what I wanted was that when you send a survey ship out into "the uncharted reaches" and they don't come back, you won't actually know why. Could be hostile aliens, could be a mechanical failure, could be that they found something interesting and stayed past their expected mission timeframe to get a closer look, etc.

I'll try to post screenshots of production queues and such at regular intervals. And if there's periods where there are no ships outside of communication range, then I may post the actual savefile for people to download and get a better look at the whole game.

[Edit: d) Also, how about Buoys both for communicating and intercepting communications?]
In tandem with a) I think that's a great idea. The more I think it through, allowing comm buoys with a static 4 Bkm range is problematic because they're so tiny and hard to detect that it would be relatively easy to bug an enemy system. But if the receive/transmit range is based on onboard sensors, then tiny low-power buoys are only effective at short ranges. System communications buoys would have to be pretty hefty devices with powerful sensors (and a conversely larger EM/thermal profile). Could still be done, but you're going to have to hide them well, and need a bigger ship to sneak in and deploy them.

Pages: [1] 2