Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a higher resolution tileset that meets my needs?  (Read 998 times)

Streeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing D&D Counts as Partying
    • View Profile
    • https://www.google.com/
Is there a higher resolution tileset that meets my needs?
« on: November 25, 2013, 09:32:09 am »

Hi everyone! You folks seem rather friendly, so I hope someone can point me in the right direction.  :D

I would like to find a certain tileset to replace:
.\df_34_11_win\data\art\curses_square_16x16.png

(changed to b&w to save your eyes)

I want something very close to DF's ASCII+ (as in the altered CP437 with the dwarf beard). The default square tileset shows the map in its proper aspect ratio, yet the individual tiles themselves are just squashed and distorted in order to achieve that. It's clearly a stretched version of the 4:3 'curses_800x600.png' image, which is especially noticeable when you compare the diagonally patterned tiles in the mid-lower-left.

That's not my only concern, either. The default tileset is meant for a small window, whereas I prefer to play full screen at 1920x1080. When I boot up the game, I'm looking at tiny ants. Using the scroll wheel to zoom works okay, but then I end up with giganto blurry pixel blobs due to scaling methods.

I'd like a reference PNG at least ~2x the size (32x32 would be fantastic). I could scale the images using a decent interpolation technique (hqx, perhaps), but resampling would never look as sharp and clean as a handcrafted image. Besides, the game seems to already interpolate when you zoom in, making things blurry, so it would only be a marginal improvement.

"But Urist McStreeter, if you're going to go through all that effort for high res textures, why not use a graphical tileset instead of the ASCII characters?"
Because I'm a nostalgic fool I suppose. I could use a fair bit more room for imagination in my gaming, considering all the flashy graphics I'm constantly immersed in as of late. But I at least want my ASCII to be crisp and clear, gosh darnit!

I've searched around on the wiki and these forums, but nothing seems to specify my needs. I feel like I'm probably missing something obvious. If you can point me off in the right direction, that would be appreciated. If you already know the perfect tileset, that would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance!  ;D
"To ensure quality standards, this space is hereby declared a Signature-Free Zone (SFZ). All intruding signatures, real or made-up, will be shot on sight."

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a higher resolution tileset that meets my needs?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 11:08:34 am »

Streeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing D&D Counts as Partying
    • View Profile
    • https://www.google.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 11:24:10 am »

Nagidal's tileset (24 px, built for your HD screen resolution) - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101657

Oh snap, That is damn near perfection! I just wish it had the bearded faces rather than traditional smileys (it would be unjust to depict them without!)

I may have to edit that in myself, actually. It'll take me a while to be satisfied with the results, but it'd be worth it.

Thank you!

[edit]: Finished! Here it is in its slightly altered glory. Thank you, Nagidal and Wannabehero.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now I'm off to have fun. :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 12:21:09 pm by Streeter »
"To ensure quality standards, this space is hereby declared a Signature-Free Zone (SFZ). All intruding signatures, real or made-up, will be shot on sight."

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 07:36:51 pm »

Happy to help, have !fun!