Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How does one stop following a thread?  (Read 2112 times)

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
How does one stop following a thread?
« on: November 24, 2013, 11:19:36 pm »

The subject line sums it up.  There are a couple threads that I'd rather not see updates on anymore - is there any way to stop them from showing up on the 'new replies to your posts' page?
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: How does one stop following a thread?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 11:22:14 pm »

Hah. Nobody posts here because the answer is 'no'.

Or for me, 'not as far as I've seen'.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 01:48:57 am »

One does not simply "stop" following a thread. I have things in my new replies I won't read for months; nothing I can do about it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 11:00:46 am »

Get all your posts in that thread deleted by the Toad Above All, and thus you no longer will see updates.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 11:04:22 am »

Thanks, guys.  Ignorance shall be my new bliss!

Get all your posts in that thread deleted by the Toad Above All, and thus you no longer will see updates.

XD.  I'm not sure if I'm ready to be jerk enough to get my posts deleted - seems a rather ignominious solution!
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 03:33:28 pm »

AFAIK you can either have none or all, so you can disable all notifications or have them all on, but there isn't any way to selectively choose which ones you want to be notified about and which ones you don't.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 04:36:59 pm »

Nope, there's nothing you can do to the "show new replies to your posts" area except mark all as read.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 11:54:05 pm »

One does not simply "stop" following a thread. I have things in my new replies I won't read for months; nothing I can do about it.

Posting to sign eternal pact.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 01:34:30 am »

If you've posted in a mega 1000+ page thread that's updated every day, nothing.

The only other option is to hope it dies out. Worked for me during the George Zimmerman trial thread. I made one post about 'Trayvon Martin's death made me sad as I'm a colored boy living in the South.' I should've known better. Wooooo-Wii. Fortunately, that mess got quiet after a few weeks. That's the reason I don't ever go into any of the general political threads, because I know I'd make one tiny post, and then I'd be stuck forever.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 01:37:29 am »

note to self: never post in a thread titled "Let's make a contract, bay12!" or any similar

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 01:39:34 am »

I really wish I didn't post in the Word Association thread. It's kind of interesting at first, but now I wish it wasn't there.
Same goes for the avatar rating thread, though to a lesser degree.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 01:41:59 am »

There is an alternative, but it's stupid. It's also the only way I use the forum, but if you check for new replies manually by just navigating to the board and looking for the New icon next to threads, you are no longer specifically subjected to threads you have no interest in. >_________>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 01:43:44 am »

There is an alternative, but it's stupid. It's also the only way I use the forum, but if you check for new replies manually by just navigating to the board and looking for the New icon next to threads, you are no longer specifically subjected to threads you have no interest in. >_________>
Well, actually, they still appear. In addition, lots of other threads you don't care about will appear. So really, you're only making the problem worse.
Of course, you said "specifically subjected," so I suppose you may be technically correct.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 01:44:08 am »

Ohmylackofgod what have I started, here?

Hahahahah I guess we've all added another thread to ignore.  May as well have some fun with it, eh?

So.... who's up for some good, old-fashioned, derailment?  Looks like this may be the place to bitch about the threads we regret posting in...

For me, It's the 'what made you happy/sad today' threads that are my current annoyances.  I made a single post in each, which were completely ignored - and now I'm stuck with the whinging and moaning, not too mention the insufferable bubbly good cheer, in each.
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 01:45:15 am »

How about Roll to Ignore Threads? The topic would have to be moved, though.
Pages: [1] 2