Advanced search  

Author Topic: cages  (Read 384 times)

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cages
« on: November 24, 2013, 10:29:21 pm »

I need some help with my cages.

I have several cages sitting in my animal stock pile. some contain goblins and some contain animals. The wiki isnt super clear on this either, but how do i disarm the goblins and also let my animals out. I currently have the cages set to dump but I think that just lets out the goblins. I have it paused right now to make sure i dont let them out accidently fully armed. If just setting it to dump is wrong how can i un dump them?
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: cages
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 10:46:19 pm »

Keep the dump order on the cage, but undump everything else.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 12:02:17 am by Urist McVoyager »

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 09:22:40 am »

Dumb and reclaim: d-b-d, d-b-c.

Regarding the animals, I normally assign them to a P-zone or build a cage and assign the creature and then link it to a lever.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:35:50 am »

Keep the dump order on the cage, but undump everything else.

reverse order
(d)(b)(d) to mass dump on the cages, then loo(k) at the cages and make sure they're not dumped by pressing (d) again while the cage is selected. Even if the goblin isn't released as the quoted suggestion would do, the cage and the stuff in it is all hauled to the garbage zone together

to gather captured/bought stuff in one location, build a cage (b) (j).Expand the list of the cages with x so you can pick more carefully. Then (q) over the cage and assign whatever you want to it. Cages can hold unlimited numbers of creatures. If you need to sort creatures in cages, make sure you build different material cages. in the vanilla game (not a tileset) you can see which cage an animal is in by the icon behind its name which matches the cage material.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 10:03:17 pm »

how can i tell if they've been disarmed or not? Their still sitting on my stock pile. How do i check their inventory?
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 01:22:36 am »

almost forgot, you first need to claim their equipment (d)(b)(c)

if their equipment is in the garbage zone now, they're disarmed? I don't think you can view the inventory of a goblin in a cage, but you can see if you can find their gear in the stocks screen.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 06:18:37 am »

You could try dumping the goblins' weapons from the stocks screen: don't blanket-claim, rather look into your stocks list, expand it (via [tab]) and scroll to the bottom, to the "forbidden" weapons. Claim and dump those by changing the flags in the stocks screen ("d" and "f"). This removes only the weapon from the goblin, nothing else. If you want to take away all their stuff, d-b-c, d-b-d is the better choice of course.

This only properly works when you have no (or at least few) other "forbidden" weapons on the map. This means you'll have to reclaim the weapons after dumping, or you'll just re-dump them over and over. In one fort, i had large stashes of forbidden weapons in various places, so ended up fiddling with "hiding" all the goblin cages after claiming and only dumping "hidden" weapons (which then needed un-hiding to avoid fouling up the display by themselves as well).

You really need some extra flags to help with specific dumping, since goblin equipment isn't distinguishable from loose gear - it's not listed as the goblin's property.

And since this hasn't been mentioned yet - a blanket dump command on all cages will _not_ release the goblins, since they're living creatures and not items. They must be removed from the cages by assignment to a pasture, chain or pit, or by opening the cage (usually by linking the built cage to a lever and pulling that). They can also be released accidentally (or "accidentally") by bringing the cage to the depot to sell it or in the case of metal cages by melting the cage.