Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Competition II - New Life  (Read 23956 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Competition II - New Life
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 04:58:22 pm »

(Iwassupposedtobeajokeguessitwasn'tfunnythough)

I'm still confused :(

In that case I'll just take your tentacle vote k
Besides in any case cannabalism is past 3 votes.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 05:06:49 pm »

In other news current votes:

Faster reproduction 2
Cannibalism 3
Basic intelligence 1
Toxic metabolism products 1
Genders 1
Female->male cannibalism 1
Increase surface area by developing tentacles 2
"zzz"

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 05:11:02 pm »

+1 to intelligence, reproduction, and tentacles.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 05:26:40 pm »

Evolution attempts: Faster reproduction-4 Cannabalism-5 Tentacles-4
(In spirit of the old topic, the dice gods seem to be appeased by your ideas)

Over the course of a few million years the Seafloorum blobum has branched out, the most notable descendant being Seafloorum tentalum. Tentalum is approximately 5 centimeters in contrast to its ancestors 1 centimeter, and each tentacle is about 7 centimeters long.

Tentalum has a cannabalistic nature and tends to consume the dead carcasses of its fellow blobs the same way it normally consumes food, this made possible by the tentacles; the corpse is drawn into the jelly body slowly by the tentacles and the inner fluids digest it as it is brought in; otherwise it'd never be able to fit.

Another noteworthy evolutionary trait is more rapid reproduction. Budding is still the main form of reproduction, but is much quicker, with several buds being grown usually at once.

As a result of cannabalism, the reefs size has decreased as well as the numbers. There is more space for each blob (which is irrelevant, since they can't move) but they have no habitat, leaving them open to predators.

GENERATION 2:
(Seafloorum) tentalum
A clear jelly blob. They absorb food through the skin, and is dissolved in the inner body fluids. It is around a centimeter in length, width, and height.
SOCIAL: Completely socially awkward detached.
SENSES: Completely senseless.
REPRODUCTION: Budding. The buds detach after reaching about 3 millimeters in dimensions and then float to a short distance away before growing into their own blob. About three buds grow at a time, and the time for each bud to grow to the point of detachment is about one day.
MOVEMENT: Completely immobile.
EATING: It absorbs cells floating through the water. It will also prey upon the corpses of dead blobs.
PREDATION: There are no predators at this current time in this region, however the blobs are very exposed as a result of the reef shrinking.
SYMBIOSIS: No symbiotic relationships developed.
COMPETITION: Our blobs are the only ones that live on the bottom, but competition for space is fierce. Most only live for a short time before they are covered by the next generation.
INTELLIGENCE: No form of intelligence. At all.
ENVIRONMENT: A shallow sub-tropical sea. Layers upon layers of seafloor blobs have built massive networks of flexible reefs, but these reefs are rapidly shrinking. The fronds living on the reefs are decreased in number but still plentiful. They grow from their stalks so that they don't get covered by the bottom layer. Their underground sections form a complex root system that feeds off of the corpses of blobs that were buried, but now have to compete with the blobs which consume their dead relatives.

Current environment: Shallow sub-tropical sea.
Nearby environments: Beach, deeper sub-tropical sea, river delta
"zzz"

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 05:32:07 pm »

Develop spikes for self-defense

Grow larger
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 05:41:02 pm »

develop moving
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Rashemd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 05:52:19 pm »

Joining this as I read all of the first Competition game today.  8)

Since we depopulated ourselves, I suggest we Learn to use our tentacles for slow movement,(like some starfish) And develop photosynthesis 
Welp they always say ‼LOSING‼ is ‼FUN‼.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 05:56:16 pm »

I did the same, read the entire thing then decided to start a new one lol :P

By the way guys (and I'll add this to the OP) from now on if your idea is categorized under another already existing idea then I'm adding both together under the more descriptive one.

EG:

Suggestion 1: Develop movement 1 vote
Suggestion 2: Use tentacles for movement 1 vote

Result: Use tentacles for movement 2 votes
"zzz"

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 06:05:40 pm »

I say we go with Swarming Strategies, Hardened Shells, Sharp Claw-things, and Divisible Bodies. So each of us can be a one-blob swarm.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 06:10:20 pm »

So far-

Spikes/Claws 2
Growth 1
Use tentacles for movement 2
Photosynthesis 1
Swarming 1
Hardened skin 1
Divisible bodies 1

I might update a couple times today if we get enough votes, just because i'm around and people are posting :S The rest of the week will probably 1-2 updates max per day. Weekends could be a couple.
"zzz"

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2013, 06:17:13 pm »

+1 to Photosynthesis

-1 to Growth, -1 to divisible bodies
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2013, 06:54:52 pm »

+1 to Photosynthesis and Tentacle Movement

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2013, 07:28:00 pm »

(Last one for today, unless we get a massive influx of votes within the next two hours lol)

Evolutions: Tentacles for movement-2 Photosynthesis -5
( No luck on movement yet )

Seafloorum tentalum's evolutionary descendant, Seafloorum algae, is virtually the same as the preceding creature. However, the tentacles have grown to become around 15 centimeters long, and a vivid green color. They absorb sunlight, and much of it too, since they are in shallow waters.

Around the environment a new blob species is emerging, a predatory kind, called Suprafloorum tentaclaw. It is similar to our Algae, but it is mobile, propelling itself through the water very slowly, usually hovering above the layers of blobs. Instead of tentacles it has pseudopods. Inside of its main body are a number of hooks or claws, and when a pseudopod brushes against a suitable food item a hook jettisons, spearing the prey and then retracts into the body for digestion. Tentaclaws are about 30 centimeters long.
They will eat our Algae if they happen to touch one, but lacking senses, do not actively seek them out.

GENERATION 3:
(Seafloorum) algae
A clear jelly blob. They absorb food through the skin, and is dissolved in the inner body fluids. It is around 15 centimeters in height and 5 centimeters long and wide.
SOCIAL: Completely socially awkward detached.
SENSES: Completely senseless.
REPRODUCTION: Budding. The buds detach after reaching about 3 millimeters in dimensions and then float to a short distance away before growing into their own blob. About three buds grow at a time, and the time for each bud to grow to the point of detachment is about one day.
MOVEMENT: Completely immobile, though the tentacles tend to wave around and could potentially snag things floating by.
EATING: It absorbs cells floating through the water. It will also prey upon the corpses of dead blobs. Its tentacles can create sugars from light with photosynthesis.
PREDATION: Tentaclaws can consume the Algae, but will not actively seek them out, so the blobs are somewhat safe.
SYMBIOSIS: No symbiotic relationships developed.
COMPETITION: Competition is lessened since cannabalism took hold, but still is strong since there are so many blobs. Also, to collect sunlight, the blobs can sometimes be overshadowed by the fronds resting on the reef.
INTELLIGENCE: No form of intelligence. At all.
ENVIRONMENT: A shallow sub-tropical sea. Layers upon layers of seafloor blobs have built massive networks of flexible reefs, but these reefs are rapidly shrinking. The fronds living on the reefs are decreased in number but still plentiful. They grow from their stalks so that they don't get covered by the bottom layer. Their underground sections form a complex root system that feeds off of the corpses of blobs that were buried, but now have to compete with the blobs which consume their dead relatives. Many greens surround the area between the blobs tentacles and the fronds which rest on the reefs.

Current environment: Shallow sub-tropical sea.
Nearby environments: Beach, deeper sub-tropical sea, river delta
"zzz"

cheesemcmuffin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2013, 07:54:44 pm »

Glad this is back enjoyed reading the first one and I decided im going to comment on this one. Since this one is taking on a radically similar approach to the first one with tentacles and stuff im going to de rail it into something different.

Develop simple noto chord like structure (for those not familiar a noto chord is a primitive spinal chord
Reduce to four tentacles
Strengthen the tentacles adding musculature structure in them and throughout the body
Create two light spots side by side on the "head" of the creature ( Light spots are simple optical nerves)

Rashemd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2013, 07:54:44 pm »

So our first predator appears.  ::) Who's up for evolving Movement And so with photosynthesis we've become a type of Mixotrophy.
Welp they always say ‼LOSING‼ is ‼FUN‼.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18