Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (Play Thread)  (Read 9994 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (Play Thread)
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 11:05:22 am »

Eirlys laughed as she took a shot of whiskey from a glass small enough to be a thimble, then refilled it from the regular-sized shotglass she had bought.  "I don't care about offending powerful folk.  Take it from me, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.  That thief job, too; I've no truck with thieves, but why aren't they using the Town Guard for that detectoring work?  That "no details" work and that choice of bar...well, something stinks to the Gods above about the whole thing.  As for the others, well, my job's protection; real protection, not that racket stuff they do down in the Sluice.  We may be small compared to some of the leadfoots out there," she says this with a nod at Tyrileaf, "but like Gracie says, we don't need to let that stop us."

"Lookie here, I say we help out the Woodses, too.  I'm also fine with helping out the li'l rich lady and her merchant pops, since guardin's my thing, but all that talk about borrowed money makes me wonder, too.  Still, the li'l lady ain't got nothing to do with that from what you heard, right?  I'll second Gracie on that demon issue, too."  This, she punctuated with another shot and a grin.  "It's pro'lly not really demons, just some people jumping at shadows, but if'n there's something going on, whate'er it is, in the middle of the city'd be a nasty place for it to get outta control."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 11:14:08 am »

”Thanks Tawni, yeah, I am good on it. I know what some say but I’m not a rich man, and I can’t afford to listen to any more stories, much as I’d like to. A lot of stuff goes on that the average man doesn’t always hear about, eh?”

Ari finished the last of his potatoes and made to stand up.

”Look, Tawni. I know you told me that because I slipped you a full bag of gold, but I don’t hold that against you. I understand, it’s a business, right? If ever I might be able to help you, come down to the Heckling Hellhound in Lowtown, or come straight to see me – ask nice and most people will point you towards me. Or if ever you think you might have a tale worth telling or a drink worth drinking, if by chance I’ve filled my purse back up by then... ‘Course, I’ve got other services I can pay with. Getting fixed up can be expensive, so can getting hold of certain things. But then you’ve probably heard all about that, right? I like you, you’re a smart girl. I hope you don’t cause yourself too much trouble with what you write.”

Ari pushes his chair back. Gets up. Still speaking with a lowered voice.

”But don’t think for a second I’m suggesting you don’t write, it, eh? Some people deserve to have things said about them, and others deserve to hear things they might not hear if someone brave enough to speak up didn’t.”

Dr Ekrund holds his hand out, waits for the handshake, makes sure the bill is covered, and gets on his way.

Head back to the inn. Tell associates that Wood’s body is probably under the bridge, that I’m willing to forego my share of the 100GP, and that there is probably more to this than meets the eye – there’s likely to be some kind of conflict, and I vote strongly for doing this mission.

Also spot and listen checks on the way back! Be on the alert as some shifty guards are probably on our case if we do this – tell acquaintances to be alert…

When Ari’s bended spacetime to get back…

”So. I reckon we go to help out Widow Wood, and we can go as soon as we get ready, right? And the demons, well… I could find out some more about that I guess, but I’m kind of broke, and it takes cash. Not trying to squeeze stuff out of you folks, but my purse isn’t as deep as some like to make out…”

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 11:22:46 am »

Eirlys' smile didn't shift at all, remaining genuine as she set some coins on the table.  "I usually don't need more money than for food, drink, bedding, and keeping my weapons sharp and armor clean, and none of that costs like much for me as it would for you.  Here, if'n it helps you figure out just what's going on that's got the priest so spooked."

Give 100 GP to Ari Ekrund

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 11:30:05 am »

"I'd prefer it if you would just call me Grace, but I suppose Gracie is alright... And our fierce little friend speaks the truth about your capabilities: You just need to stick to your strengths and have others cover your weaknesses. We'll be fine if we take the job, so don't worry."

Gracewyn turns to face Ari with a raised brow.

"And I didn't realise you were in such a stint. I cou-" She stops speaking as Eirlys hands over a pouch of gold. After blinking in shock, she shakes her head with a small smile. "Well... Can't say I expected that, but you have both our thanks I reckon. As I was saying just now, Ari, you should have told me you were in such a state so I could see about getting you the gold you need to keep the clinic running. I'm sure there are a few gangs roaming around that will be generous enough to hand over their gold and belongings after some persuasion..."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 11:35:30 am »

”Thank you, Eirlys, I appreciate it. If I understand right I should go talk to this priest, yes? I suggest once I’m done with that, we all meet up back here and head down to the Sluice, if we’re agreed on helping the widow. I want to, in any case, and the help would be welcome. What suits you best for this kind of thing – daytime? Night time?”

Go Gather Information on the priest with the demon problem. About 11GP, say, for now.

”Ha, thanks Grace, but don’t worry about it. I’ve enough coming in to cover what goes out, just not enough to come up with fifty gold pieces for… unexpected expenses more than once in a while.”

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 11:43:14 am »

"Still... Doesn't really feel right for you to struggle to pull ends together while helping others like you do..." Gracewyn sighs and takes a gulp from her mug. "I think it would be easier to just go in the day, and as soon as possible so we can get in contact with that merchant and his daughter in time. We can see a lot easier in the day, so finding the body would be both quicker and less of a pain than in the dark. Not to mention all the difficulty we might have in getting to the body from all the critters running around at night..."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 11:56:42 am »

Eirlys nodded in agreement.  "Day's the right time for this kind of work.  We're goin' in for a body, not to clean up the other muck that rises up in the Sluice at night."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 12:25:10 pm »

"I can make light though. An' see in the dark. And if it's night, that's probably when all tha other scavengers are sleeping as well. And if anyone's watching us like guards, they wouldn't expect it either. "

She was sitting on the table top, following the grains of wood with her finger.

"An' the longer it's there, the more likely some monsters gonna chew it all up. Ohh! What it is becomes a zombie? Do you think she'd still wan' it back?"

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 12:37:09 pm »

”Thank you, Eirlys, I appreciate it. If I understand right I should go talk to this priest, yes? I suggest once I’m done with that, we all meet up back here and head down to the Sluice, if we’re agreed on helping the widow. I want to, in any case, and the help would be welcome. What suits you best for this kind of thing – daytime? Night time?”

Go Gather Information on the priest with the demon problem. About 11GP, say, for now.

Time/1d4+1=2
Gather Information Check 1d20+5=23

Another two hours (and all his money) buys more tall tales and rumors from the mill.

...Father Ziol, he's a Triune-not right, but not bad. He is certainly known to draw a crowd...he's very protective of his community...and he throws a good Hellfire sermon now and again...
...I've known the preacher to be a bit...let's just say 'theatrical'?...his hearts in the right place, though...he's not like those other preachers who won't set a foot in lowtown...
...Oy, yah. That place was once a noice little bakery...owners got kilt to death in the big bang...left it open to looting boys and thuggers...can't remember their names...they woz nice people.
...Some strange lasses sure fixed it up nice, you see...not sure who they were, where they came from...but they put on nice strong doors and shuttered windows-keep the riffraff out. I'd imagine ladies need their privacy...ayuh. Only women folk. Pretty ones, ey...
...Oh yeah, them ladies aint 'ladies' I dun reckon. They was all red skinned and horns-pointy teeth and claws! Right scared me out of mah britches...erm...poor choice o' words...excuse me, sir...my wife, she's calling me...
...One o' crazy demon girls tossed a fireball at me-I was just trying to say hello! Burnt me best pair of boots...
...Yes, ze inveztigated...found the presence of ze Tiefling-kind women...zey are zort of Demonz, no? Oui, cloze enough...non, they do not like...well...they do not like many queztions to be azked of zem...very suspicions!...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 12:43:54 pm »

"If it's a zombie, we rekill it and explain to the widow. Simple as that. We had best get a description from the Widow first so we can tell what body we're looking for though."

Gracewyn looks around at the others at the table as she takes another gulp from her mug.

"So, we're agreed then. We help the widow first, then we help the merchant's daughter. Once Ari get's back from information gathering, we head to the widow for information about the job and if it's still light out, we go for the body. A good and easy job!"

Once Ari has finished gathering information and returned, head to the widow's home with the others.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 03:44:52 pm »

Not long after...

"Tieflings, demons, not sure what's going on with the priest there. Maybe something to look into another time, eh? Now, let's go talk to Widow Wood, shall we? I suggest one of you go, rather than me - the harder we make it for anyone who might be too interested to connect me, Wood, and my contact the better. Might be able to keep the both of them safe, or at least try. A pair of you want to volunteer?

The rest of us can meet you right after, near Wood's house, and then we can get over to the Sluice.

You reckon we might need anything in particular?"

Head home to get kitted out (adjusting sheet for carrying now) and then head to a meeting point near the widow's home. Then head off on our first quest!

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 04:23:18 pm »

Mathias continued drinking his tea as he listened to Ari's exploits, although he wasn't truly listening until he heard of the possibility of the Undead.

"With the mention of something to research, I'm significantly more interested now.  Those other... 'quests' pale in comparison to the opportunity to further one's knowledge.  It could also lend some insight into the inner workings of this city.  After all, finding exactly which guards are persuadable offers opportunities in the future, as well as knowing who we can't trust to do the city proper."

He strokes his left hand with his right unconsciously.

"If you believe having someone else meet with the Lady Wood would be best for our group's safety, I will offer my own skills, although I'm not sure if my Butlers would be well received.  If you need assistance in... loosening lips, as it were, I can assist in a small way, but I'm afraid you'd be stretching me beyond my means, at least until this current business comes to fruition."

Mathias peers to Eirlys.

"It wouldn't do to have too many..." Mathias smirks, "bodies in one place, but someone of smaller persuasion with more specialized talents would not be remiss."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 05:11:04 pm »

Eirlys frowned slightly.  "Well, 'fraid my specialty might not be so good as all that; I'm mostly hired for fights."  She grinned again.  "'Sides, yer pro'ly right that one of us'd go over a much better than those piles of dusty bones over there."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 06:13:25 pm »

"Ohh!Ohh! Me, me! Pick me!" she shouted, bobbing up and down excitedly in the air. She took off in an arc and land on top of the Goliath's head.

"Might wanna take Gracie with me. Just so she's convinced we have the strength to lug-lug-lug a body back all the way here."
She peaked over the Goliath's fringe, centimetres from her eyes.
"Wanna come, Gracie?"
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 08:36:51 pm »

The goliath smiles at the antics of the petals and has a small chuckle.

"Sure, I'll go talk to Ms Wood. I know a few things about talking to people, so hopefully things won't go over too badly."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10