Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (Play Thread)  (Read 9992 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (Play Thread)
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2013, 02:31:54 pm »

"Hey, 'property of Edgewith Fabric'...they're those guys who like as not offed the lad whose body we're after, aren't they?"  She dropped her Haversack on the ground in front of everyone.  "Well, anything y'all don't wanna carry, I can haul it around in here.  I'll take the cask, myself, 'less anyone wants it.  Nothing wrong with a good drink after a day's work."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2013, 02:37:30 pm »

Tyrileaf picked up 10 gold pieces and gave 10 each to Grace, Ari, and Eirly. She stuck her tongue out at the necromancer, still standing there silently.

She rapped a hand on top of the cask, the barrel as tall as she was. She clambered on it as she looked for soem kind of marking, but found none. "What do you think's in here? Worth opening?" If no one had claimed the medallion, she took it, because she liked shiny things.

When the lot had been divided up, she landed on Gracewyn's head, struck a dramatic pose and pointed forwards. "Onwards to the widows house!"
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2013, 02:40:15 pm »

"You can take the medallion, Tyrileaf. It's a fortuitous find, an unsought blessing: it shows Ajax striking down evil, and perhaps that's what we will have to do. Keep it shiny, okay?"

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2013, 07:49:37 pm »

Mathias waved a hand in Tyrileaf's direction while softly smiling.

"I apologize if my inaction caused you pain or discomfort.  I simply desired to learn of my companions' abilities before intervening.  You handled the situation splendidly."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2013, 11:13:09 pm »

"Yes, I suppose we did." Gracewyn mutters as she eyes the corpse one more time. "Still... Time stands still for no one, so let's get a move on."

Put the roll of fabric and the salt into my pack and move on with the others. Stay in Hunter's Sense and keep sniffing the surroundings subtly as we go, incase we're being followed. Once Ari's done scouting ahead, go ahead and knock on the door of the Widow's home if it's safe.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2013, 05:15:22 am »

The group packs up their belongings and prizes and moves on-perhaps eager for the dubious safety of a crowded street, rather than the shadows and dust of this empty place.

Leering wooden eyes watch as they go, but they mark it not.

The neighborhoods around the sluice are quite hilly-sloping downward into the great river that splits North and Southwood. As a rule, it's easier to go down than up-much of the level is made of tiered wooden structures of dubious quality, though they are larger than most of Lowtown overall. The land was once called the Watch Hills, since it was used as a first line of defense versus the people who first conquered it by the natives-and later by the conquers against anyone trying to do the same. Come Cataclysm, the Terminus War saw an increased investment in outlying defenses-these small wooden fortifications effectively mark the end of Oasis itself, though many people have built beyond and the original walls were torn down for building material and kindling-only what amounts to a fence now signals the borders of Oasis, which is made more by the locals forced to the edge out of paranoia, than any effort on the cities part.

In these days, the lingo has changed the area to 'Watchrest'-perhaps, because bold thieves and criminals being pursued are known to run the maze of the buildings at the bottommost edge and scurry all the way to top, which tends to leave the local toughs out of breath and unable to follow.

The party spots one such encounter, in fact, at that moment-a slight, cloaked feminine form with dark black hair sneaking and clambering a few rows below them. A horde of white vested (though very dirty) guards in pursuit. It's clear she's worn them down like a cunning fox would a pack of lazy hounds-they are panting and swearing, faces red and sweaty. In another moment, she ducks out of sight-another lucky day for a would-be thief.

The group splits momentarily, using a old, gnarled tree as a meeting spot. Judging by the numerous carving's that festoon it's bark (X loves Y crossed out, now Y loves A) it's a sort of kissing tree using by young people-by it's mere location, difficult to see from any main thoroughfares.

Ari moves ahead-turning his cap down and his cloak up, and holding his little bag of 'usefuls'-as if he were just another layperson. After a moment judging the stream of people, he dives in and joins the crowds, a faceless shadow in a room of lights.

Quote from: Ari Stealth/Perception Check
Hide 1d20+8=23

Vs Spot checks
?
?

Ari Spot Check
?

The fellow chosen for watch duty was apparently not known for his subtlety. He stands almost right in front of a widows door, perched against a fence post-arms crossed and glaring at everyone who goes by. Well, except Ari-with a sarcastic tip of the hat, he passes by the Dwarf with absolutely no recognition. He'd be hard to miss, being so phenomenally ugly. The Dwarf, I mean. Ari could be considered quite handsome.

Before passing out of sight, Ari notices the fellow is certainly some sort of warrior-he's wearing heavy chainmail and carrying a battleaxe fairly openly, and the seem to be in good shape-unlike their owner.

Ari comes back to his friends and relays the information.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 05:24:12 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2013, 05:57:53 am »

"Well, the Widow is very obviously watched, and it might be that there are more than just the dwarf that I didn't spot. It might be worth our going straight down to the Sluice and finding the body - the ring - and coming back to see the woman at a time that... suits us better. If the dwarf's friends are about it could get messy, and our search could get complicated. Also, I suspect he is not a run of the mill dwarf, but an underdark dwarf, which is a little uncommon, and maybe a tougher fight than he looks, and probably employed by someone well connected - or rich. Odd. What do you think?"

Knowledge Local check (1 rank +2 Int...) - are there known to be any Deurgar in Oasis? Are they connected to anyone? Or just a mercenary?

edit: included relevant details of above check.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 06:36:27 am by lawastooshort »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2013, 10:41:39 am »

Eirlys bobbed slightly, wings fluttering as she tried to resist the urge to fly up and take a gander for herself.  "If'n we didn't already know it coming here, I'd say it stinks to high heaven.  Skipping this and coming back later could work out.  Least'wise, it'd keep the watchers from knowing we're on the job 'til it's already done and done."

INT check (untrained Knowledge) on Duergar in the city - Same goal

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2013, 10:46:37 am »

Tyrileaf stared at the dwarf, humming to herself. Then she gave an exclamation and flew a quick loop.
"Eirlys, can you sing? You know the song. It's in our mind - the sleep songs. If we both sing it, beardy over there might go right to sleep. And then we can just go straight in!" She beamed proudly and sang a few notes, and they hung oddly on the air, cloyingly sweet and lulling.

((The sleep song (Sleep) takes 2 petals and acts like a sleep spell. That might work.))

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2013, 11:05:11 am »

"That might work, and is a good idea, Tyrileaf - but there might be unseen watchers watching the watcher, if you see what I mean. I think it'd still be safest to search for the ring, and then go for the widow, and then it'd be a good idea to make the beardy one fall asleep... Might even be best not to take the ring with us to the widow."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2013, 12:51:57 pm »

"There's just one problem with your plan..." Gracewyn interrupts. "Does anyone know what the dead man actually looks like? We don't want to find the wrong person after all, and there's an awful lot of dead bodies down where we're going..."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2013, 01:06:34 pm »

"Could charm him, then. Whisper-whisper in his ear and he lets us through. We don't know what deady-dead looks like, as Gracie says, so Mrs Widow has to tell us."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2013, 02:07:23 pm »

"Yes... You have a good point, Gracewyn... Blast."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2013, 02:52:53 pm »

Eirlys smirked.  "I don't sing a lot, but that sounds like my kind of chorus.  Thing is, people might notice if the entire crowd falls asleep all at once."  She glanced at the others, as if realizing something.  "Not to mention all you, too, if'n you don't have anything to stopper up your ears."

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2013, 08:39:52 pm »

"I assure you, there's no danger of putting me to sleep.  On the other hand, perhaps I could interject my own familial abilities. I do not like to use them and risk revealing my origins, but unless we can find a better option, causing a ruckus could be worse."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10