Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Spending Bitcoin and speaking Esperanto?  (Read 4996 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Spending Bitcoin and speaking Esperanto?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 03:48:41 pm »

We'll have "universal language" once realtime machine translators take off, and no sooner.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 03:58:53 pm »

My god how I long for that day. I will never have to speak English again.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 05:15:47 pm »

My god how I fear that day. The internet will descend into, err, something worse. Bigoted Americans being able to speak with bigoted Russians, The endless middle-eastern policy war, basically all the majorities and minorities in the world will get to pick on each other.

Bitcoins, err, well they're awesome for drugs I hear. Very illicit, no records, very well-suited to the black-market. Most likely companies will stick to the dollar as they tend to be tied (by which I mean they trade money and materials, you know the economy) to bigger companies, which are tied to even bigger countries, which are tied to Financial markets, which will see the bitcoin as a much less safe bet then, say, the Euro, or the Dollar.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 05:21:42 pm »

Forget bitcoin.  This is the currency of the future.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 05:33:21 pm »

My god how I fear that day. The internet will descend into, err, something worse. Bigoted Americans being able to speak with bigoted Russians, The endless middle-eastern policy war, basically all the majorities and minorities in the world will get to pick on each other.

Bitcoins, err, well they're awesome for drugs I hear. Very illicit, no records, very well-suited to the black-market. Most likely companies will stick to the dollar as they tend to be tied (by which I mean they trade money and materials, you know the economy) to bigger companies, which are tied to even bigger countries, which are tied to Financial markets, which will see the bitcoin as a much less safe bet then, say, the Euro, or the Dollar.

I'd really like to see the Chinese intranet though, for curiosity's sake.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 06:17:29 pm »

Oh right, the Bitcoin price tracker is pretty interesting.

http://bitcointicker.co/

It can be misleading though.  Partly because it's going off of an exchange that you can't actually cash out of, and partly because there's nothing to stop the people running the exchange from making high value trades with themselves to help trigger a bubble.

e: yes the Bitcoin really did lose almost half of its value in one day
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 06:19:40 pm by Leafsnail »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 06:34:53 pm »

Oh right, the Bitcoin price tracker is pretty interesting.

http://bitcointicker.co/

It can be misleading though.  Partly because it's going off of an exchange that you can't actually cash out of, and partly because there's nothing to stop the people running the exchange from making high value trades with themselves to help trigger a bubble.

e: yes the Bitcoin really did lose almost half of its value in one day
I heard this was because the US said they were doing an investigation of the illicit aspects of it, as part of a broader review they are doing.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 06:39:12 pm »

Well also the fact that the Bitcoin's price is clearly inflated way beyond its actual value due to a ridiculous bubble.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 09:14:51 pm »

On the topic of Esperanto - Apparently English is one of the hardest languages to learn worldwide, whilst Esperanto one of the easiest, that being one of the reasons it was designed.

But about bitcoin and Esperanto, you can definitely say that neither of them are 'organic', they haven't grown over time like so many of the other cultural languages and currencies - which means that they don't have a lot of the same flaws.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 09:55:28 pm »

English isn't that hard to learn, it's just hard to speak. Its grammar is simple as hell and can be stretched really far.

I can type a sentence like this.

This I can type a sentence like.

It is not a crime to wildly split infinitives.

Let's go over regular conjugation in Spanish using "hablar":

Tense    First Singular    First Plural    Second Singular    Second Plural    Third Singular    Third Plural   
Present Indicative    HabloHablamosHablasHablaísHablaHablan
PreteriteHabléHablasteisHablasteHablamosHablóHablaron

Since this is extremely time-consuming, I'm just going to say that there are 7 more that I didn't list; the past participle is "Hablado" and the present participle is "Hablando".

Now, let's do one for English, using the standard verb "to talk":

First Singular    First Plural    Second Singular    Second Plural    Third Singular    Third Plural    Preterite    Past Participle    Present Participle
talktalktalktalktalkstalktalkedtalkedtalking

Yeah, I didn't really need a table for that. The main issue with English is that there are so few regular verbs and no sense of phonics. Words like "think" with just an irregular past tense will still be understood if done wrong ("thinked"). Words with completely irregular conjugation like "to be" or "to do" or "to have" are often irregular in other European languages anyway. Esperanto won't exactly help any more than English will, since Esperanto is just as horrible euro-centric as English.

Esperanto's main advantages are no irregular verbs and standard pronunciation, which basically makes it English if English were Spanish.

EDIT: Haha, I just used the subjunctive form of "to be" there. I can't think of any other words that have subjunctive forms in English, though.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2013, 12:08:48 pm »

And then you have verbs like "to put" which will make you soudn like a chicken.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 01:45:10 pm »

-snip-
I like to think some kind of information density/complexity is a good measure for difficulty. One thing I've struggled with when it comes to say Finnish is not only the speed at which it's sometimes talked at but also the amount of complex structures can be put into a grammatically correct sentence. Part of this I believe have to do with the way it's structured. If say a language heavily relies on suffixes and offers a rather liberal word order then it stands to reason that this increases the complexity and risk for homophones. The mental "language parser" simply has to work a lot more to properly translate the language into something understandable. This can create this lag between words spoken and words understood. I've noticed this with Finnish as I usually can handle text rather well (more time to translate) but stumble with speech (less time to translate).

Just to take a similar example, consider Latin. It too heavily relies on suffixes (and prefixes to some degree) and offers a very liberal word order. The sentence really comes down to suffixes. But that liberal word order can literally place them anywhere in a sentence. You essentially have to remember a much larger block of data to properly translate this.

Nocte in agro terram laborabamusque animalia cum cane in domum ducebamus cum lupi nos oppugnaverunt.
At night we were working the soil on the field and herding the animals into the house with the dog when the wolves attacked us.
Yöllä pellolla työskentelimme maata ja paimensimme elämiä taloon koiran kanssa kun sudet hyökkäsivät meitä. (Roughly)
Under natten brukade vi jorden på åkern och vallade djuren in i huset med hunden när vargarna attackerade oss.

Now have someone speak that quickly and someone else translate on the fly. Then move the word order around. Then try it in Finnish.

On the other hand, you have English and Swedish that restrict word order a bit and delegates say prepositions to actual words instead of suffixes (in comparison to Finnish). These languages (to me) just seem to have a rather natural word order without too many suffixes that keeps the information density/complexity relatively lower.

Also for posterity's sake (and my own amusement), Latin for talk/speak.
First Singular    First Plural    Second Singular    Second Plural    Third Singular    Third Plural    Preterite    Past Participle    Present Participle
dicodicisdicitdicimusdicitisdicuntdixi (...)dictus (-a, -um)dicens (dicentis)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:59:21 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 04:53:09 pm »

Different languages don't actually have different rates of information density.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2013, 04:59:17 pm »

Different languages don't actually have different rates of information density.
Poor choice of words perhaps, but some sentences simply take slightly longer to parse in different languages.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2013, 05:17:59 pm »

English has developed as it has, but you're hard pressed to find a language that can boast a triple and oftentimes quadruple vocabulary.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4