Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Spending Bitcoin and speaking Esperanto?  (Read 5015 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Spending Bitcoin and speaking Esperanto?
« on: November 22, 2013, 12:34:45 am »

Bitcoin is an 'International Currency'
Esperanto is an 'International Language'

This could be the next logical step in worldwide relations.

Sorry, this OP will need to be filled up more later.
As for now, I leave you with these tiny tidbits in the vain hope B12 can formulate them into a vehement intelligent discussion.

(also i have little doubt that either or both of these have been brought up, but I'm planning to facilitate this discussion purely on the merits and failings of introducing international ideas such as this.)
What is next? Is this harming cultural identities? Are there security issues involved?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 12:39:59 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: How long until we're spending Bitcoin and speaking Esperanto?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 12:36:05 am »

I give it thirty-five centuries after the US switches to metric.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Spending Bitcoin and speaking Esperanto?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 12:58:59 am »

I heard someone also tried something similar with Religion, but as expected it must've fallen through as i can't find it anywhere.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 05:15:53 am »

Mi intime atendantas la evoluadon de ĉi tiu diskucio. En mia sperto, tamen, la aro de Esperantistoj kaj tiu de Randrojdoj estas aroj reciproke ekskuzivaj (la bitmoneranoj emas esti libertarianoj, kaj la Esperantistoj emas esti antinaciistaj maldekstranoj).

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 05:23:02 am »

So far, neither of them have seen as much success as dollars and English have had so far. I expect the established international lang and currency to continue for quite a while.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 06:22:55 am »

Bitcoins fundamentally do not work on a large scale.   Transactions are already extremely slow, and it would be unusable if a significant number of people began using them.  They're essentially a speculative commodity.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 06:41:19 am »

I would be in favour of a world language but to be honest I would prefer it to be english since I already speak that. Or french, because french is beautiful. Fuck my native tounge though, swedish is a silly language.

In theory I would be in favour of a world currency as well but in practice it just wouldn't work, countries are too different economically to have a single currency with the same value.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 07:43:38 am »

The BitCoin seems to consist entirely out of fail from what I've heard of it so far and if you want to have an international language just learn English, Spanish, and Chinese and pretend it's one language. Maybe add Russian, French, and Arabic to the list as well :v

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 10:23:18 am »

English is pretty much the dominant language of the technologically literate. It's what programming uses, and that certainly won't be getting any less important over time.

And yeah, bitcoin is a terrible speculative bubble, and the entire thing will come crashing down within the next 5 years. The way it was set up is the very opposite of stability, which makes it useless as a currency, but attractive for speculators.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 11:19:35 am »

la bitmoneranoj

And that answers the only questions I had, namely "What is Bitcoin in Esperanto?"

Also, it's worth noting that English is a terrible language, from a linguistic perspective. My 7-year old is discovering this in that they've been teaching her phonics and how to sound out words to make a guess at spelling them. Which fails on so many common English words. Like the word phonics, for instance. (Fonix? Fawniks?)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:33:11 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 01:36:23 pm »

I think the way I heard bitcoins described was buying stock in the tendency of people to speculate. Or something like that.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 03:21:50 pm »

Esperanto is a poor attempt at creating an international language. It is terribly Eurocentric and could only be viable as a "European" international language, but even then there are a number of language families within Europe that are in no way represented by the language. Granted, it has served a purpose to an extent, but we should look further afield if we wish to create something truly "international".
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 03:23:23 pm by Owlbread »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 03:33:02 pm »

An international language only functions if everyone learns to speak it. Truly, taking elements from every language seems like a good idea, but in the end it just overcomplicates things. The language should be clean and simple. If you can add things from other languages to it, great, but try to keep it understandable,.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 03:44:52 pm »

taking elements from all languages also means that no one actually speaks the language, providing no incentive to learn it for the general populace.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 03:47:29 pm »

An international language only functions if everyone learns to speak it. Truly, taking elements from every language seems like a good idea, but in the end it just overcomplicates things. The language should be clean and simple. If you can add things from other languages to it, great, but try to keep it understandable,.

But Esperanto is truly a Eurocentric language. It has no influence from languages that aren't Germanic, Romance or Slavic. The least they could do is include a bilabial click or glottal stop every once in a while.

taking elements from all languages also means that no one actually speaks the language, providing no incentive to learn it for the general populace.

But as Esperanto stands it takes elements from at least three main European language families, so it's already got that problem.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4