Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we work on next?

A tower to the sky!
A ridiculously complex trapped entrance!
A ginormous constructed somethingorother!
A monstrous terraforming project!
An ostentatious display of golden wealth!
A giant building in the shape of a Toad, in honour of ToadyOne!
Candy everything!
Exclamation point! (My idea will be posted below)

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 40

Author Topic: CharmCrafted, Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]  (Read 49706 times)

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
Re: CharmCrafted, Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]
« Reply #420 on: March 22, 2014, 07:07:09 am »

We can make werebeast launcher weapon, we just need more of them^^. I read somewhere you can infect gobbos with the were-curse, use them against the siege stupid enough to attack on the full moon and than recapture the bastards and use them again and again... anyone knows if this does work?
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 22, 2014, 08:23:17 am »

I approve this experiment of dwarven biology.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 22, 2014, 08:25:19 am »

So who is going right now because I have little time to do a turn.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 22, 2014, 11:42:43 am »

We can make werebeast launcher weapon, we just need more of them^^. I read somewhere you can infect gobbos with the were-curse, use them against the siege stupid enough to attack on the full moon and than recapture the bastards and use them again and again... anyone knows if this does work?

We have exactly one (accessible) goblin prisoner right now, who's already earmarked for another job. I'm not going to try infecting anyone, not with a were-rhinoceros. It weighs a bit over a ton and tore a kobold into four pieces; i don't trust civilian dwarfs to fare much better. But i'll make sure to keep it accessible, so that curious overseers can give it a shot. I will be in my workshop making coffins, 'kay? Werebeasts in wereform are trapavoid and building destroyers, just as a little reminder. In non-wereform, they'll revert to normal sentient creature behaviour, i.e. they'll try to run away.

I'll just build a lunar calendar.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:46:53 am by Larix »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 22, 2014, 07:30:56 pm »

Records of Tulon "Larix" Bomrekeshtân, chief medical dwarf of Tomesreward.

It's winter already? How time flies when you're busy! We dug some rooms, made a lot of mechanism links, I made some masterful statues, but other than that, it was almost disappointingly quiet. One kobold thief visited us, but ran away before we could turn the bone mill on. We got rid of a large number of old clothes, the were-rhinoceros is keeping track of the months for us and we dug another magma access tunnel. We'll need to pressurise it, though, the stuff moves much too slowly.

There were two actually notable events: another baby was born, and a suturer got a fey mood. I had hoped he'd become legendary in his highest skill - not every fort can present a legendary liar. But I guess we were missing the proper tavern to spin a legendary tall tale in, so he just picked up a carving knife and turned a cow skeleton into a sword.

Together with the legendary quartzite mechanism, this is the new centrepiece of the great meeting hall.

I hope I can get the magma pressuriser done before the year is over, I have little hope to put my defensive device to the test.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 22, 2014, 07:43:33 pm »

Hmm so did we get a migrant who was once a king?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 22, 2014, 07:52:05 pm »

We were a mountain home for a bit less than half a year, i think. "Fell from position of king" means he went crazy (probably from lack of adequate rooms, succession forts are lousy at meeting monarchs' requirements) and expired soon after.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:54:16 pm by Larix »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 22, 2014, 09:46:29 pm »

We were a mountain home for a bit less than half a year, i think. "Fell from position of king" means he went crazy (probably from lack of adequate rooms, succession forts are lousy at meeting monarchs' requirements) and expired soon after.

I seem to recall that Arcvasti the kings insanity was more caused by his whole extended family dying from the tantrum spiral. He actually had some pretty good rooms for a while.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 22, 2014, 10:23:03 pm »

Aww so why is any one coming to this fort i mean come on the king died here and horrible other stuff to like the horrible TREE OLM!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 23, 2014, 08:50:43 am »

Oh, all the migrants are telling us we should be happy they're coming "despite the danger". What danger? The minecarts are all under control now, and the forgotten beasts are meticulously walled off.

Arcvasti: i think you're right - the king apparently lost five (adult) children and two assigned war dogs in the tantrum spiral. That he was probably just beginning to recover from unhappiness caused by insufficient rooms and failed production mandates can't have helped, but shouldn't have been so much of an influence at that stage. It's impossible to reconstruct, because unfortunately the king went berserk and his final relationships and thoughts are no longer viewable. Finding dwarfs who remember him isn't exactly easy, either.

There are a bit over twenty dwarfs in the fort who arrived before the king showed up - out of 88 beards currently.

Fourteen of them are children, most of them orphans.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 23, 2014, 05:33:23 pm »

Records of Tulon "Larix" Bomrekeshtân

Midwinter

Work work work. I had an idea to make our calendar a bit better. Fortunately, one of the freshly-recruited miners reminded me that mechanisms don't work like that, so the seven-segment display is out. Why did I even think of it? Must've been lack of drink. Nonetheless, the channels that were already dug and the doors and bridges that are installed are still usable, all it needed was a minor adjustment of plans.

Each "moon"s pressure plate opens one door, which then stays open for the whole month. The "parrallel" bridge lets water into the manifold chamber with a little delay after each switch event. Result: each month, another channel will have water, assuming we add drains or something to clear the water out of the no-longer active channels. I simply didn't have the time to build more than this.

Signals come from here:

Whenever our guest turns back from rhinoceros to human shape, a signal is sent and after a little magic, a new pressure plate is occupied with a cart. It works perfectly, no need to worry your bearded head about it. It activates _all_ plates temporarily everytime it switches, but that's what the bridge-and-door arrangement in the water distributor is for.

Right now, the calendar just adds a bit of flavour to our king's mausoleum:

Every month, another hatch cover remains open.

The magma in the channel around the tomb is a bit low, because I disliked the looks of the caverns, so I told the engravers to carve a small hole in a wall and the miners to dig a channel. The caverns are now slowly filling with magma. I think it looks much dwarvenlier this way.

Early Obsidian

I found a better use for all the power we're generating: pumping magma.

The blood of the mountain is acquired through another pair of gaps I ordered dug into the side of the volcano. The branch to the right leads to a special last-ditch defensive device. Nothing to worry about, it's perfectly safe unless an overseer does something stupid. I made a special note warning against doing something stupid, so there's absolutely no reason to be afraid. The northern branch is closed by a lever-operated door, for any future uses we might find for pressurised magma.

18 Obsidian

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Hooray!

What? Of course I'm looking forward to the practical test of my bone mill. Meanwhile, I'm still busy finishing some bridge or other.

The goblins are looking forward to it, too.

Damnation! Ogres are just too big. They clogged the circuit and destroyed the hatches. The latter is no big deal, it just means everyone'll go into the smasher, because without hatches, the path is broken.

Loonies.

Good thing I had the smasher repaired first thing after taking control. Weapon traps already thinned the ranks and the bonemill broke some legs. Let's see how the bridges fare.

Not too badly, I suppose.

Still, Ogres are annoying - huge enough to stop minecarts dead, too big to be killed by bridges. And they'll keep coming as long as the goblins have their chief warrior to control them.

Ah well, let's take stock of our half-dozen prisoners.

... oh, hel-lo! Nice seeing you. Come on in, have a seat.

9 Granite 72
Well, with a mere two disoriented lashers remaining, the siege and thus the justification for the expansion of my overseership is pretty much over. I'll step down and bask in the satisfaction of a job well done.

OOC: Sorry i went over the limit, but i didn't want to hand the fort over in the middle of a siege, and the extra days allowed me to get my engineering things properly done without needing to rely on the next overseer not bungling or overlooking them. I've made some notes, but they're easy to miss.

Next overseer according to the administrative post is Exodius 1.

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8493

EDIT: practically everything beyond the trade depot is forbidden and the war dog pasture inactivated. You'll need to claim stuff (d-b-c) to get the traps cleaned/reloaded and the minecarts recovered. Be careful, there are still two lashers standing around the place where the goblin general is captured and we're still officially under siege, so they'll probably attack when disturbed.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 05:49:12 pm by Larix »

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 23, 2014, 05:40:08 pm »

I will start on Tuesday, and just take a quick look today^^

Edit: WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO MY MAGMA SMELTERS?! WHY IS THERE A HOLE IN A MIDDLE OF FORGING AREA THAT ALLOWS MAGMA CRABS TO ENTER?!

Edit2: I think I am better now, but seriously guys, tearing down magma smelters and setting up new ones right next to the old ones?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:01:42 pm by exodius1 »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 23, 2014, 06:07:40 pm »

Some might have been demolished by tantrums. Still no good reason to rebuild them in such a disorganised fashion, but since so far, no crabs had gotten inside, i didn't bother re-sorting the forging area.

| Ah, overseer tantrum then ;)
v
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:38:00 pm by Larix »

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 23, 2014, 06:36:19 pm »

I will start on Tuesday, and just take a quick look today^^

Edit: WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO MY MAGMA SMELTERS?! WHY IS THERE A HOLE IN A MIDDLE OF FORGING AREA THAT ALLOWS MAGMA CRABS TO ENTER?!

Edit2: I think I am better now, but seriously guys, tearing down magma smelters and setting up new ones right next to the old ones?
Hmmm I think that was my doing but that was long time ago.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 23, 2014, 07:01:33 pm »

Alright, alright, sorry, i did not mean to snap... but that was just a smelter not a glass furnace^^

Spoiler: Preliminary Pictures (click to show/hide)

Just to give you taste how it will look like, and as I cannot be bother to make a personality up i will follow one given by game^^
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:23:55 pm by exodius1 »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 40