Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we work on next?

A tower to the sky!
A ridiculously complex trapped entrance!
A ginormous constructed somethingorother!
A monstrous terraforming project!
An ostentatious display of golden wealth!
A giant building in the shape of a Toad, in honour of ToadyOne!
Candy everything!
Exclamation point! (My idea will be posted below)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40

Author Topic: CharmCrafted, Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]  (Read 49670 times)

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CharmCrafted, Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2013, 09:43:01 pm »

like nothing
yay because i wanted something to show are wealth to the sky it self

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2013, 02:24:21 am »

We have gold, uhhhhhh.... gold.  That's about it.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

wozit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2013, 07:30:15 am »

I'm sorry about flaking on my turn. My computer broke right before thanksgiving and I can't exactly install DF on a public computer with exams right around the corner.
I love the idea that large creatures should be modelled as cubes.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2013, 02:37:42 pm »

Still recruiting, you say? I'd like to take a turn. I suspect i'll spend it either booting up completely irrelevant supplemental industries or constructing an overcomplicated contraption or two that no-body will understand or be able to operate usefully (including myself). I'll grab a dwarf when/if i get my turn.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2013, 02:39:45 pm »

Still recruiting, you say? I'd like to take a turn. I suspect i'll spend it either booting up completely irrelevant supplemental industries or constructing an overcomplicated contraption or two that no-body will understand or be able to operate usefully (including myself). I'll grab a dwarf when/if i get my turn.

OP updated.  Welcome to CharmCrafted, Larix!
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2013, 05:52:07 pm »

I want a turn!  Whatever is available.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2013, 06:01:39 pm »

I want a turn!  Whatever is available.

OP updated.  Welcome to CharmCrafted, Nyxalinth!
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2013, 06:26:30 pm »

Ready to go.  I'm assuming the link from 4maskwolf on page 5 is the current save?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2013, 06:49:08 pm »

Whatever link I posted, yes.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2013, 06:54:44 pm »

Ready to go.  I'm assuming the link from 4maskwolf on page 5 is the current save?

Glad to see you!  Thanks for taking over for wozit - hopefully, we'll hear from hir soon enough.
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2013, 09:25:38 pm »

Could I have a dwarf, please? I intend to write journals :D
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"

*gobbles menacingly*

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2013, 03:36:17 am »

~~Journal of Dolwin, Chief of Staff, Charmcrafted Medical Squadron~~

Per our ancient traditions, the clan gathered together in the main hall to mark the end of the third year of our home.  For some strange reason, the consensus was to seek my guidance for the upcoming year.  Perhaps it was my superior bedside manner in dealing with all the assorted broken bones that have been cropping up lately, or merely confidence in my already proven ability to lead.  Regardless, I am now the leader of our merry bunch.  Seeing that I have remained in the hospital for quite some time, I decided to use my first day on the job to review our fortress and create an agenda.  I'm sure I'll find nothing amiss and can continue letting the creative juices of our diverse brethren continue to flow freely.  I made sure to bring Puutuulion along, seeing as how he was the one who did the digging throughout the fortress and could easily answer any construction questions that might come up.

Spoiler: Fortress Overview (click to show/hide)

So far so good.  Food stocks are a bit low for my tastes, but easily correctable with the excess dwarfpower we have available.  Idle hands lead to elvish thoughts after all.

I decided to begin my review of the fortress proper with the part I know best, the hospital.  My list already contained two items I knew of beforehand.  One,the utter lack of soap.  Construction of a wood furnace, ashery, and soap maker's workshops have been added to the queue.  The second was the lack of depth for the hospital wells, drawing mud with each bucket.  I checked with Puutuulion about the overall construction of the reservoir, and what he told me was alarming:

Spoiler: Wells (click to show/hide)

Not only are our wells not of sufficient depth, they are connected to the cavern system without any form of protection from the beasts within.  With our lack of military protection, a simple cave crocodile coming up through the hospital could cause an unmitigated disaster.  Moreover, the old tales tell of legendary beasts of nightmare that swim with ease.  I'd hate to have our wounded be an appetizer for one of those.  I believe it will be far simpler to move our whole hospital to a new location further below and wall the current area off completely.

Continuing our tour, we headed through the forging area, stopping to admire the myriad of carvings throughout the halls.

Spoiler: Forging area (click to show/hide)

Poor Woobmonkey.  The aspiring engraving corps we have practicing the halls seem to have created a contest seeing who can engrave the most moving image of Woobmonkey getting removed from his positing of embark leader.  You cant walk more than a few feet without seeing a likeness of him looking dejected.  It is borderline cruel to do to a dwarf that has served our fortress so well over the years, but truly great art can be cruel at times.  Or merely strange, as Puutuulion reminded me soon after.  I noticed some of the walls were warm to the touch.  Puutuulion somewhat sheepishly explained that Firecrazy had a vision of strange glyphs that were required to be cast in earthblood, and he worked tirelessly to fulfill his demands.  Having been done, only Armok will ever see them from behind the walls, but I suppose it's the effort that counts.

(FYI, I've disabled the engraving display.  It was far too hard to see what was really going on with all those in the way)

Spoiler: Outer Fortress (click to show/hide)

When we reached the surface, a couple of thoughts struck me simultaneously.  First, I dont like the sun very much.  Spending most of my time in the hospital has created the unfortunate side effect of light sickness.  Even though it will be quite unpleasant at first, I've decided to shift the meeting area above ground to get everyone accustomed to being outdoors.  The second thing I thought of is that I don't like the sun very much, and it's right there staring at me.  Anything that flies has full access to our fortress, as all of the kea thefts have proven.  Orders have been added to the queue to roof over all openings to prevent flying beasts from causing ruin.

Spoiler: Trade Depot (click to show/hide)

This includes our trade depot.  Plans have already been laid to square up some of the open corners as well to limit magma crab injuries further.  I've also made some notes to inquire with the mechanic's union about the possibility of trapping a crab or two to add to our defenses.  It would be nice to sic them on the greenskins when the time comes.

Spoiler: Wildlife (click to show/hide)

It's not all doom and gloom however I'm happy to note.  Peregrine falcons are native to this land of ours!  So majestic, so deadly.  I must have them!  I have visions of them hunting throughout our halls, clearing them of all vermin, eyes finding that which dwarven senses cannot detect.  Let others fawn over their kittens.  Mark my words, I. Will. Have. A. Falcon!

Meanwhile, I took a quick survey of a few of the dwarves of note throughout the fortress.  A few recurring requests have been added to my list, most notably a mausoleum. 

Spoiler: Dwarf List (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Puutuulion (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Timeless Bob (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Saegge (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Firecrazy (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dolwin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wozit (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Danmanthedog (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Woobmonkey (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bsnott (click to show/hide)
(dont know why the screenshot doesnt list your name, but it says it in the dwarf list, so maybe its because I havent unpaused yet.
Spoiler: Mayor (unclaimed) (click to show/hide)

With a list formed, I'm ready to start my second day overseeing the fortress.  With the large quantity of gold we have available, I'm starting to get a creative itch myself.  I think I might take up.... painting.  I'm sure the local goblin horde will be willing to provide some raw materials...

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2013, 05:39:48 am »

Unclaimed Mayor? I'll take it! Call her Exodius Not-The-Usurper! I cannot promise much of a journal though.
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2013, 07:05:38 am »

Wait how do you turn off the engraving display thing i thought it was a graphic bug? Also im shorter and fatter then normal dwarfs!

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2013, 08:09:43 am »

I think it was d->v as in Toggle Engraving.
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40