Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we work on next?

A tower to the sky!
A ridiculously complex trapped entrance!
A ginormous constructed somethingorother!
A monstrous terraforming project!
An ostentatious display of golden wealth!
A giant building in the shape of a Toad, in honour of ToadyOne!
Candy everything!
Exclamation point! (My idea will be posted below)

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 40

Author Topic: CharmCrafted, Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]  (Read 49656 times)

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CharmCrafted, Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]
« Reply #495 on: May 03, 2014, 10:21:56 pm »

Can I get in on this?  Dwarf me as a cook or something, and put me on the overseer list?
FRESH MEAT!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 04, 2014, 09:41:34 am »

No, not a butcher (watch first six seconds) - a cook!

Both Joe Clark and uber pye have been added to the list in the admin post.

I guess re-organising the work assignments makes sense with the somewhat larger population. I remember i started with somewhere between thirty and forty adults and needed to keep most jobs active on everyone to get bulk jobs done at all.

Crossbow traps unfortunately only shoot at their own tile and take annoyingly long to reload, but at least they enjoy the somewhat cheesy power of missile weaponry, don't jam and offer _some_ use for crossbows and bolts.

You might want to line up some more stone block construction - i find they're the most convenient building material, using only stone as base, which you can get in arbitrary amounts (esp. once the miners actually mine full-time).

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 04, 2014, 11:27:57 am »

You might want to line up some more stone block construction - i find they're the most convenient building material, using only stone as base, which you can get in arbitrary amounts (esp. once the miners actually mine full-time).

We've got about 200-300 stone blocks lying around in our workshops cluttering things up. We'll be fine as far as those go until we stop hauling ogres and build the Citadel full time. Progress is stunted less by lack of building materials as by lack of labour forces. I eventually want to move all the workshops and bedrooms and stockpiles and stuff into or underneath the Citadel. Because there are huge efficiency losses due to how big the fort is and how haphazardly spread around everything is. Not sure I'll have time for that during my turn, but I'll try.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 08, 2014, 11:57:53 pm »

7th Slate: I've decided that we'll eventually need to relocate to the Citadel proper. In preparation for that, I gave the order to use all of our blocks on building it higher. Yes, all 342 of them. Its still not quite enough. Maybe Larix will actually be able to work once the clutters been cleared away, though. As is, he's almost swimming in the things and can barely move.

8th Slate: Construction is taking a long time to haul anything to the building site, because its so far out of the way. Eventually, we're going to need to put workshops and stockpiles and dwarven living facilities in the Citedel, but until then, its so far out of the way of everything else it might as well be in the mountainhome. Actually, we ARE the mountainhome. Or at least we were. Although I don't recall it feeling like that at the time. Come to think of it, the King WAS conferring with a lot of advisers and emissaries when he was still alive. The whole Tactical Pillar was run from here. I wonder how the rest of the dwarven civilization has handled having their "tactical piller" yanked out from under them. Probably pretty well. The government was always more of coalition then a kingdom, with Arcvasti being more the moderater of leaders then the leader of subjects. Although it may disrupt migration trends and trade routes, those being managed directly by the mountainhome and the king. My political dissection is interupted by the mayor running down the hallways screaming "NO ONE WILL SELL THE FLASKS THEY ARE ALL MINE~~!". I suppose that is the PROPER state of elected government: Easily manageable and slightly insane.

10th Slate: The lever for the Citadel Bridge has been fully connected. I breathe a sigh of relief at having sealable defenses in place once again.

11th Slate: I order that a solid steel trade depot be constructed in the Citadel. It'll take forever to haul those bars all the way up there, but it'll be worth it. After that, I got the local weaponsmith on making a ton of giant steel axe blades for the Citadel. The Forgotten Beast in the lower living area is still smashing things. I'll give it a little longer before I send a dwarf with a hatch cover on the dangerous mission of sealing off the Goblin Execution and Training Area from the blocked off forbidden depths below.

12th Slate: I tell the dwarves that the surface is fair game again. As long as they don't drag any random corpses or body parts inside the fort, that is. They can just stay outside. As a warning.

14th Slate: Realizing I'd forgotten to leave a way to trap the Forgotten Beast inside the trap while still allowing free passage between the fort proper and the Goblin Execution and Training Area, I commission the rigging of some levers to rectify this.

15th Slate: As our Mason, Larix is effectively incapicitated by clutter and we already have 30-some stoneware pots, I set our potter to making bricks instead.

16th Slate: The fort is mainly engaged in clean-up. We have dwarves hauling caged trolls from the battle inside, Construction members resetting traps and citizens with worn clothes looting the fallen. And some of us are burying our dead. All in all, we are in desperate need of migrants to be enlisted into Construction. There are too many skilled dwarves who cannot afford to do menial labours for us to get these kind of large-scale projects down in any reasonable timeframe.

18th Slate: I have momentarily halted progress on the Citadel. There are too many other miscellanous tasks that need doing for Construction to focus properly. Actually, I'm considering ordering all dwarves to ignore previous stockpile designations. Besides food, that it. I decided to just shut down the farms instead, as we have plenty of provisions.

20th Slate: The Steel Trade Depot is complete. It is awesome.

23rd Slate: A Construction mook appears to be requesting materials for an artifact. He has no close relationships with anyone other then his wife and she has none except for him, so his potential death would have a minimal impact on the functioning of the fort.

AAAND he's claimed a craftdwarves workshop. He'll definitely find what he's looking for, Charmcrafted's has one or two of everything tucked away somewhere. Assuming he doesn't go insane trying to navigate its twisted passageways.

25th Slate: Our weaponsmith is turning out giant steel axe blades by the dozens. That should be more then enough to trap the Citadel entrance once I have the dwarf power to do things like that.
Spooky Signature

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 09, 2014, 12:05:14 am »

So, ah, what is the Citadel, exactly?  A new replacement fortress?  Or just a new above-ground entrance plaza or something?

Saegge

• Bay Watcher
  • Mox alter equo vita reale at solis occasum equitat
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 09, 2014, 07:18:52 am »

the Citadel is a massive above ground fortress surrounded by a lava moat quite a bit north to our fort. I don't recall who dug the moat, but I began to built walls there last turn. As it sounds Arcvasti could soon be able to move first facilities over. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 09, 2014, 08:02:36 am »

I dug the moat, tried to connect it to the volcano and started making North-West corner room^^
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 09, 2014, 05:27:27 pm »

the Citadel is a massive above ground fortress surrounded by a lava moat quite a bit north to our fort. I don't recall who dug the moat, but I began to built walls there last turn. As it sounds Arcvasti could soon be able to move first facilities over. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Its surrounded by a lava moat IN THEORY. As is, its only partly filled with 1-2 lava. Some future ruler will have to open a wider magmaduct between the volcano and the moat.
Spooky Signature

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 09, 2014, 06:25:34 pm »

Its surrounded by a lava moat IN THEORY. As is, its only partly filled with 1-2 lava. Some future ruler will have to open a wider magmaduct between the volcano and the moat.

2-deep is still deep enough to incinerate any and most unwanted guests we have^^

Saegge

• Bay Watcher
  • Mox alter equo vita reale at solis occasum equitat
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 09, 2014, 06:32:38 pm »

IN THEORY that's fully sufficient as the folks of Charmcrafted are peaceful dwarfs and just love to enjoy some reddish glow to decorate their skillfully constructed walls

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 11, 2014, 04:04:38 pm »

26th Slate: I've given orders for some workshops of all types to be built in the Citadel. This will not distract hauling dwarves, who are hideously overworked by stockpiles everywhere. I'm seriously considering abolishing the things. As it is, I've culled a couple of the more useless ones. The workshops will later have small basement stockpiles underneath them. I'm not entirely sure what to do about the magma workshops. Actually, I think I'll leave them be, as they're not too far from the Citadel

27th Slate: What with the new focus on moving to the Citadel, unlocking the Goblin Training and Execution Area is counterproductive. Its on the other side of the fort from anything, and I've been trying to minimize long trips like that. I'll just stop trying to get it safely accessible since its not as important as my other goals.

30th Slate: Most of Construction is busy reloading the cage traps now. I question their long-term usefulness, once we've moved into the citadel, but they're the main reason we survived that last siege and I don't want to get caught out without their protection.

3rd Felsite: I had to relocate some of the Citadel's workshops, because of the magma moat channel passing underneath it. I can't put the basement stockpiles in magma, can I?

4th Felsite: It seems a few migrants have arrived. On the road leading directly to the Citadel. But since its still under construction, they have to go through the main entrance. I've gotten them to file through my office for assignment. Unless one of them has an absurdly high natural skill in something useful, they're going straight into Construction.

5th Felsite: The migrant flow seems to have ended. Most of them have prior military experience. If so, then they chose an odd place to go to.

6th Felsite: I've received an interesting report from the de facto leader of the immigrants, a decent armourer.  He says that the goblins have begun attacking in force. Without King Arcvasti to coordinate, several fortresses fell and many dwarves died in the chaos caused by the power vacuum. Eventually, the general, Nish Erithilir took control, executed most of the old governmental figures and instituted martial law. Many workers, peasants and artisans have been drafted and have taken heavy losses driving out the goblins. Nish is apparently obsessed with defeating the goblins and is actually leading ARMIES OUT OF THE FORTRESS to go and assault THEIR holdings rather then merely defend, as is usual dwarven strategy. He says that the immigrants were in a badly-equipped squad in the dwarven military . The immigrants deserted the army after seeing a similar ill-equipped squad get slaughtered like lemmings by goblins. They wandered for a time, but one of them had heard of a fortress where no-one was forced to fight and kill and die: Charmcrafted. In Charmcrafted, intelligence and creativity were valued above brawn and discipline They wandered for months and finally arrived, bedraggled and weary. He says that many dwarves are deserting like them and there has been talk of open rebellion. Charmcrafted is regarded as many as a sort of haven, where none of the difficulties brought on by the new regime are present.

If any of this is to be believed[He seems pretty reliable and it correlates to what little news we've had since King Arcvasti's death], then Charmcrafted is in danger. Both from Rish and from the goblins.

7th Felsite: I've re-started work on the Citadel. Clean-up of the prisoners and traps outside is largely complete, so Construction can now resume work. I've also given orders for the miners to start excavating the basement stockpiles underneath the Citadel workshops.

8th Felsite: I've gotten Construction started on some preliminary traps for the Citadel's entrance. We're going to have a lot of crossbows and giant axe blades. Best of all, on either side of the traps we'll have a pit. A shallow pit. With a bridge you can put on top to keep them from frightening civilians. And possibly repeating spikes on the bottom to finish off the foul invaders. For now, we're just putting in some of the traps and digging the ditches alongside them.

9th Felsite: The secretive dwarf I mentioned a while ago is still gathering ingredients. His slow progress through the bowels of the fortress and outskirts only illustrate the horrible inefficiency evident in its sprawling design. Since it seems like the Forgotten Beast in the sealed off bedrooms is done smashing things, I've given orders for it to be trapped as well.

11th Felsite: The Forgotten Beast isn't taking the bait. Oh well, I'd decided we didn't need that area anyways. I'll have to see about establishing an area like that one in the Citadel at some point.

14th Felsite: A Forgotten Beast has come. A towering beakless turkey with deadly dust. Luckily, its far below us and shouldn't be able to get above the caverns.
Spooky Signature

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
Humbled by the brilliance; awestruck by the dedication
« Reply #506 on: May 11, 2014, 07:06:07 pm »

<hangs head sheepishly>

Hello, all.  Thank you for taking the reins through my protracted absence.

Life happened.

What you have all done is simply.... amazing.  Dare I say, Charming?

I never expected so much awesome to come of this thread.  You are all, without exception, heroes in my eyes.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
Re: Humbled by the brilliance; awestruck by the dedication
« Reply #507 on: May 11, 2014, 07:49:53 pm »

<hangs head sheepishly>

Hello, all.  Thank you for taking the reins through my protracted absence.

Life happened.

What you have all done is simply.... amazing.  Dare I say, Charming?

I never expected so much awesome to come of this thread.  You are all, without exception, heroes in my eyes.

Shit happens, do not worry about it and welcome back^^

Feel free to update the OP as well, to reflect the changes made^^

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
Re: Humbled by the brilliance; awestruck by the dedication
« Reply #508 on: May 11, 2014, 08:17:46 pm »

Feel free to update the OP as well, to reflect the changes made^^

As I'm no longer the leader in this thread, I've updated the OP to link to the Admin Post.  I hope that will suffice.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 12, 2014, 01:10:32 am »

[[OOC:Glad to see you're back and that you enjoyed the shenanigans we've been up to, Woobmonkey. We now return you to your regularly scheduled sucession fortress.]]

15th Felsite: Frustrated at the population running outside to get goblin clothes, I forbid them to touch any more siege remnants.

16th Felsite: An Elven caravan has arrived. I've decided to let them into the old Depot, in case of ambushes. Plus, there are tons of trade goods just lying around in the Depot, so that cuts down on hauling a lot. Blade Weed Pudding, our Mayor, Manager and Broker has gone out to deal with the elves. Peacefully, of course.

18th Felsite: Turns out most of the "trade goods" in the Depot were wooden medical supplies we bought from the elves. I've had to dispatch a bunch of Artisans and some of Construction to haul trade goods from the nearby stockpile to the Depot. We have stoneware crafts overflowing from every metaphorical orifice and then some.

19th Felsite: The fort is running low on clothes. Maybe we can buy some from the elves[Or at least some more cloth]. I'm hesitant to get the non-Citadel workshops making anything though, since that means more things to relocate to the Citadel, and the Citadel workshop's basement stockpiles still aren't finished, so I can't use those yet.

20th Felsite: Everything has been hauled to the Depot, so Blade Weed Pudding has started trading. He bought some overpriced clothes, some thread, some rope reed seeds and a tiny bit of fire clay. He offloaded several thousand more in value then he received. He says it encourages them to bring a lot more next time. Plus, its a good way to get rid of all those excess crafts.

21st Felsite: I've assigned the miners to dig some HUGE food cellars underneath the future dining hall. After they're done the basement stockpiles, of course. They'll need to contain ALL the food we have in the fort. And then the excess we produce later. The secretive dwarf has started his construction. He's so far collected: A boulder of Andesite, 14 Horse bones, some rough onyx opals, two pines logs, a pair of larch logs and some bars of fine pewter. It'd better be impressive.

22nd Felsite: I've implemented some of the basement stockpiles. Its going to take a little while to get all that stuff over to the Citadel, but once they do, I'll be able to start production on site.

24th Felsite: Construction of the basement stockpiles is complete. The miners have started work on the enormous food cellars.

25th Felsite: Most of the fortress is drinking right now. Or rather, ON THEIR WAY to get a drink. We seriously need consolidation. Moving completely into the Citadel is simply the only way at this point.

27th Felsite: Then ENTIRE NON-ARTISAN POPULATION of Charmcrafted is hauling things to the basement stockpiles right now. Progress on the further construction of the Citadel has stalled to a halt.

28th Felsite: The secretive dwarf is done making his artifact. Its an andesite puzzlebox. It has an image of an outpost liason being removed from office on it. I've requisitioned it for myself. I'm the person best suited to getting it open. In other artifact news, the Forgotten Beast trap has captured the second Forgotten Beast who was loafing around in the old bedrooms. The artifact itself is very interesting. It has an engraving of a Forgotten Beast on it and its purpose is to trap Forgotten Beasts. Going over the written descriptions of artifacts in the records, I've come to a few conclusions about their nature:

29th Felsite: Work on the Citadel stockpiles continues, and its ground everything else to a halt. I've also ordered both Forgotten Beasts locked away in the trap. I'll probably breach the Goblin Training and Execution Area later, once I can spare the dwarf power. Its actually decently close to the Citadel, so that won't be ALL that much of a problem. Actually, given the danger inherent in training goblins into super-soldies, distance might be a plus. Plus, its got a lot of captives in it which will be very useful if I ever get King Arcvasti's old project working. It SEEMS like its safe from any IMMEDITE Forgotten Beast incursions, and a couple well placed floor hatches should remove that danger altogether.

1st Hematite: It is now Summer. Human season. They might have more useful goods then the elves did. Or they might attack us. It seems that the caravans they sent here don't have the best track record for coming back...

2nd Hematite: I've devised a completely safe way to breach the Goblin Training and Execution Area with no risk of a Forgotten Beast getting into the fort. I have the miners dig a down stairs, then a tunnel to the other side of the wall, then I put a floor hatch on top of the down stairs, then I dig some up stairs on the far end of the tunnel. End result is that any potential Forgotten Beasts won't be able to break the floor hatch from underneath and should be catch-able by the Forgotten Beast trap.

3rd Hematite: Most of the non-stone basement stockpiles are all stocked up by now. The food basement stockpiles haven't been started yet, mostly because of the incompleteness of the giant underground food cellars underneath the Citadel. Once those are finished and full to the brim, we can start sorting the food into different categories and such.

4th Hematite: I've decided on some new labels for different areas. The labyranthine "old fort", containing most everything, is now "The Ticking Catacombs". Considering most of it is old graveyards and filled with death and its riddled with old mechanisms, traps and machines, I think its an apt description. The "Goblin Training and Execution Area" should be renamed "Gobtech Center", which flows much more easily.

5th Hematite: The Gobtech Center has been breached. No immediate dangers looms, so I've sent in Construction to put some floor hatches in, to stop any Forgotten Beasts that might find their way into the system.

We actually have a DWARF in a cage. It looks to be a caravan guard. Not entirely sure what to do with that one.

6th Hematite: I've FINALLY given the orders to put in some training spears. I've also put in a blood thorn one at the bottom of an exactly calibrated pit. For science. If my intuition is off and this new addition goes wrong, all the traps in the world won't save us.

8th Hematite: We're all out of steel bars. They've all been turned into giant axe blades. I've also got our bowyer working on some more crossbows, marking the first job to be given inside the new Citadel compound.

9th Hematite: I order a dog dropped down the Gobtech Death Shaft. For Science.

10th Hematite: Hauling has finally died down enough to resume construction of the Citadel. I am also assured by our crack animal training squad that we are now quite knowledgeable cave crocodile trainers. Not sure how useful that'll be, since the current batch we have are all dwarf-hostile and must be kept either caged or locked up at all times. They're also trap-immune, they could spell disaster if they got loose. Best use for them would be to breed them and tame their offspring. But thats a VERY long-term goal.

11th Hematite: I've started hooking up the needed connections for Gobtech. It'll probably take a while.

12th Hematite: The dog I ordered thrown down the Gobtech Death Shaft is dead. I'll send down the ogre and troll prisoners we captured soon.

13th Hematite: I've ordered the whole fort sealed off, on general principle.

15th Hematite: Most of the trolls and ogres died quickly. A couple ogres are still alive at the bottom. Then they migrated up and a couple got caught in cage traps. We won't be able to retrieve them from there.

17th Hematite: Progress on the Citadel is going well so far. Its taking a little while to get Gobtech set up properly.
Spooky Signature
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 40