Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we work on next?

A tower to the sky!
A ridiculously complex trapped entrance!
A ginormous constructed somethingorother!
A monstrous terraforming project!
An ostentatious display of golden wealth!
A giant building in the shape of a Toad, in honour of ToadyOne!
Candy everything!
Exclamation point! (My idea will be posted below)

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 40

Author Topic: CharmCrafted, Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]  (Read 49663 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: CharmCrafted, Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]
« Reply #480 on: April 27, 2014, 06:22:18 pm »

Looks like its time for my second overseership of Charmcrafted. I've heard things have changed since I was last here. I'm just going to go over the status of the fort right now. And probably freak at the pain and death visited since I last saw this place.

Stocks: We still have enough food and drink for the old population to survive for 6-8 years. Should be no problem. We have tons of all types of furniture except for coffins, slabs, animal traps and tables.

Invaders: We have about 7-9 ogres running free on the surface about to get killed by our weapon traps. We also have around 80 goblins in cages. Maybe I'll be able to danger room them and kill FBs with them after all. There's also a Troll and an Ogress in the Depot. From what it looks like, if I lower the iron bridge, they'll path through some traps and that problem will be dealt with. I might need put some rabbits as bait to help him along. All in all, the siege is in name only. Especially if the minecart shotgun is still unfired.

Inhabitants: We have 120 dwarves. There are ~20 children and ~10 animal dissectors. We have way less engravers then I would like. It seems we've got every profession covered, and we've got plenty of legendaries. I've decided to claim the bookkeeper as my dwarf once I start playing the fort. Planning to name him "Archvastness".

Security: I don't even know where to start. There's tons of entrances, they all look well-defended by traps, but there's still tons of them. Random bridges are raised, sealing us off despite the lack of danger from anything but kobolds or titans. I can't find levers for ANYTHING and I'm not even sure what to think about this thing:

The moat is just filling with magma, so it must have been constructed recently. But I can see no way into it from the fort proper with out detouring past the ogres that aren't dead yet. I'll have to make a safe way into that later as it looks really awesome. The bridge leading to it has no mechanisms in it, so we can't occupy it until we get rid of the ogres and troll outside.

Anything else: We have whole areas of the fort locked off for some reason, and I have no idea why. My unfinished gobbo danger room was walled off for some reason. Some old bedrooms and apartments were locked off and the pile of GCS webs and dead dwarves tell me there's a reason for that to stay sealed. There's also a FB in a bedroom adjoining that area, stuck trying to destroy a door while being within 1 tile of it. He's permanantly stuck, so there's no danger as long as no-one enters the room he's in.

Also, I just realized the FB that snuck into the bedrooms and caused havoc earlier was because I bored a hole in King Arcvasti's bedroom to the caverns[I was going to fill it with an artifact steel floodgate to boost the room value.]. And the instructive note I left saying "PLUG THIS HOLE WITH ARTIFACT STEEL FLOODGATE AS SOON AS YOU CAN" is basically unfindable because of all the other notes in the area. Oops.

BTW, my old dwarves tomb is super awesome, thank you to the person who made it!

I'm going to have a decent amount of work to do. Especially with labeling the levers and making the layout more user-friendly in general. I'll try to have an update up in the next couple days.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 28, 2014, 04:13:44 am »

Ok, so the curious above ground structure is an opposite of Clown College, with elves instead of demons.... just kidding, I started putting the base for it as a new and more elaborate living/crafting/trading place to solve the problems you have mentioned, i did not manage to get through an ambush and someone else has put walls there. As for why above ground? Well, it's a Citadel, no point in building one where nobody can see it, and as for Mechanisms part please do look at my previous post^^

All you have written was OC right?
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 28, 2014, 05:17:40 pm »

All you have written was OC right?

Yeah, although I think parts of it would work as IC. The new Citadel is really awesome, but its not safely accessible right now. I might move the entire fort up there eventually. And I think an really good idea would be to fill all the normally empty tiles of the Citadel with weapon traps. BECAUSE WE CAN. Update might be delayed by a day or two because RL.
Spooky Signature

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 28, 2014, 06:49:31 pm »

For best effect, it might be necessary to acquire more magma - the moat is so large that evaporation could prevent proper filling.

On my turn (which is already over two fort years ago), i tried keeping track of levers and reading notes but gave up at some point. More weapon traps are always a good idea. I think they were what kept the fort alive in the last sieges. Purely mechanised traps may give dwarfiness points, but they're probably not a realistic option for succession forts.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 28, 2014, 07:50:56 pm »

For best effect, it might be necessary to acquire more magma - the moat is so large that evaporation could prevent proper filling.

On my turn (which is already over two fort years ago), i tried keeping track of levers and reading notes but gave up at some point. More weapon traps are always a good idea. I think they were what kept the fort alive in the last sieges. Purely mechanised traps may give dwarfiness points, but they're probably not a realistic option for succession forts.

Challenge accepted.
Spooky Signature

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 28, 2014, 08:56:09 pm »

You guys should run a catch-and-release goblinite harvesting operation. Cage goblins, take their weapons and melt them down to make whatever baubles you desire, and release them back into the wild.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 28, 2014, 11:26:01 pm »

]From the official record of Charmcrafted, as maintained by Archvastness the bookkeeper

1st Granite: By the claim of royal blood, being the cousin of the late King Arcvasti, I have assumed command. Plus, as the bookkeeper, I'm the only one who knows where everything is. And by that I mean that I PRETEND to know where everything is and keep everything barely functioning most of the time. My first problem is that siege of ogres and trolls outside. We have a couple of them trapped by bridges in the Trade Depot. The rest are kept from coming into the lovely traps we have inside, by the Trade Depot's bridges. Getting rid of the monsters in the Trade Depot is therefore first priority. In any case, after cross-referencing MANY papers left by previous Overseers, I give the order to lower the Iron Bridge seperating the Trade Depot from the fort proper. I also found notes by the late King Arcvasti I think we can adapt into a protection against the creatures of the bottommost depths. This will require many captured goblins, of which we have a surplus and a lot of wooden training spears, of which we have a few. King Arcvasti seems to have set up an area for this project before his demise and the record blackout that followed it. It was walled off, and the goblin death pit seems to connect to some locked off bedroom's which have webs and dead dwarves aplenty as of the last report to mention them, dated to the Overseer just after King Arcvasti. There is also a Forgotten Beast in some adjoining bedrooms, which can fly. That may explain the reason for walling the area up. However, last eyewitness accounts describe the Forgotten Beast being hypnotized by a door. However, on further examination, there is another Forgotten Beast kept in a series of rooms just off of that. It is INCREDIBLY unsafe to go into that area without some means of capturing the Forgotten Beast. Any attempt to reopen that area would lead to the downfall of the fort within days. I begin preliminary preparations for a way to trap the Forgotten Beast securely.

2nd Granite: The Iron Bridge has been lowered. I've ordered some war dogs brought into the Trade Depot.

3rd Granite: I've ordered the retrieval of a steel floodgate artifact for my Forgotten Beast trap. According to the records, its failure to be placed over a sensitive cavern opening due to poor communication killed most of the forts population. It is fitting it should prevent a similar fate from befalling us.

4th Granite: As they are interfering with my recordkeeping[OOC: AKA lowering FPS to near-unplayability], I've ordered the killing of all non combat ready animals. And the wartraining of the rest. The war dog is engaging the trolls and ogress. It is yet to be seen if it can kill them. All three are badly maimed. At least it might break their reverie and bait them into our traps. If this doesn't work, we have some cave crocodiles somewhere around here.

5th Granite: The cave crocs are untameable because they've killed dwarves. All we can do is keep them caged. Pity, I'd really hoped to get rid of these things a little faster.

6th Granite: Dogs, both war-trained or not, begin trickling into the Trade Depot to kill the invaders. Furry mod justice at its finest. Combined, they push one of the trolls into the weapon traps, killing it instantly. I never knew they were that smart...

7th Granite: A war dog got headshotted by the ogress. They're not doing as well against the remaining two invaders in the Trade Depot. Eventually they force another troll onto the weapon trap, maiming it even farther. Then they drive it into a cage trap. These dogs make better use of our traps then we do... That leaves just the Ogress.

8th Granite: She cripples a dog and he limps off, but the rest keep piling on her, clawing and biting. Death by a thousand fuzzy things. Progress on the Forgotten Beast trap proceeds apace.

9th Granite: The Ogress is beginning to vex me. The dogs haven't broken the skin yet. Her clothes easily repel the doggy tide. They've only begun to drive her towards the traps, but she is tired from days of being the scratching post of a canine lynch mob.

10th Granite: The Ogress fell over from over-exertion, but none of the dogs can penetrate her leather cap. They're giving it all they've got, though. I'm considering tossing some of those cave crocodiles in and then killing them with bridges later.

11th Granite: We have achieved some general familiarity with adder training methods. I'm going to try to dump some adders and crundles on the Ogress with a passage I'm digging out above it, because why not?

12th Granite: Some odd difficulties with the animal drop tunnel are being rectified. Very slowly.

13th Granite: I've stoked our forges into making some glass discs, stoneware pots and melting stuff. There are around 20 war dogs beating up on the Ogress. Still no non-bruise injuries.

14th Granite: Uber Pye is throwing a party. When examining why my dwarves were doing nothing, I uncovered orders that they were to stay inside certain areas. As we are protected from the nearest threat by a 10 foot wall of tooth and claw, I saw to reason to keep something so restricting of productivity.

15th Granite: All the bridges for the Forgotten Beast trap are completed and our mechanics are working on hooking them up properly. An Engraver has been possesed by a troublesome ghost and is causing trouble. I'll try and get rid of the ghost as soon as possible. The animal drop onto the Trade Depot is complete and I've ordered that an adder, a few crundles and horse be dropped down. Meanwhile, I'm trying to get the Trade Depot sealed off.

16th Granite: No one is clearing the items from the doorway to the Trade Depot. So I'm raising the Iron Bridge. Whether or not it has dwarves on it or not. I don't care anymore.

17th Granite: No casualties from the raising of the Iron Bridge. First crundle has been dropped in, and its not doing any better then the war dogs.

18th Granite: The adder has been dropped in, and its not doing any better either. Next up is the horse, and after that I'll start dropping things via minecart on its head.

19th Granite: One of the ogres came down into the ballista area and is fighting with some war dogs. The rest have wandered back down the ramps though, so there's something.

20th Granite: This ogre was CONSIDERABLY less sturdy. He attacked a miner with a steel pick, who counterstruck and killed him in the head.

21st Granite: The horse also had way more success and killed the ogress with a hoof after she fell unconscious again. I am so glad that things are looking up.

23rd Granite: The other two ogres wandered out and got killed by weapons traps. THE SIEGE IS LIFTED! I've given orders to open the bridges. We have a lot of work to do on our defenses. We only survived the ogres in our fort because of a lucky shot with a pick. And the war dog pile was pathetically ineffective at killing the ogress. Now we only need to clear out the Forgotten Beasts in the Goblin Training and Execution Area and we'll be good to start on making the Citadel a reality. I've got our smiths working on copper cages. I've also ordered the Citadel unsealed. My eventual goal is to make that our only above ground prescence is the Citadel and seal off all the old entrances. Because they're full of holes. Construction on the Citadel has started again in earnest.

24th Granite: Some hatches have been put in place to avert invaders getting in through the minecart launcher. A few weapon traps will also help.

[[OOC: Hooves are overpowered. They jammed the skull through her brain within seconds of the horse landing there. The steel pick to the brain was just luck. The FPS was horrible, until I ran DFhack clean all to make it playable. Its still horrible, but its more then 2, so that's progress. Most of the fort is hauling ogres and ogresses and taking forever about it. They also complain we need additional cages for cage traps. Everything is pretty stable now.]

FAKEEDIT:
You guys should run a catch-and-release goblinite harvesting operation. Cage goblins, take their weapons and melt them down to make whatever baubles you desire, and release them back into the wild.
We actually have tons of metal, and we don't need armour, so we're good on that front. I was thinking more along the lines of "Danger room some goblins, drop them on nasty FBs/human sieges then recage them". If we have problems with that, then I'll totally do that. Except dropping goblins from ~20 z's onto spikes is more fun then just releasing them.
Spooky Signature

Saegge

• Bay Watcher
  • Mox alter equo vita reale at solis occasum equitat
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 29, 2014, 04:30:56 am »

Flying Gobbos sound kinda familiar. But before, you should reclaim the VIP spectator lounge. So his Highness is entertain while the population dabbles with some forgotten beasts and stuff. In terms of magma: The first winter, evaporation was quite a problem, the second winter the moat stopped to fill but as far as I recognized the magma level was stable. We should definitely raise the magma supply at some point, though. Filling the moat will take decades at this pace and we are slowly running out of guys to wait and oversee

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 02, 2014, 10:39:24 am »

if the mister is turned on that could be the source of bad fps

also I will take another turn
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 02, 2014, 05:31:29 pm »

if the mister is turned on that could be the source of bad fps

Its mostly just that my netbook runs valnilla DF super slow and Charmcrafted is HUGE. Hopefully update tonight.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:49:22 pm by Arcvasti »
Spooky Signature

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 02, 2014, 11:18:08 pm »

26th Granite: To avoid any further security breaches and to limit the miasma from the corpses, I've sealed off the Trade Depot using the Iron Bridge.

Then I ordered it reopened because all the dwarves taking forever hauling ogres in cages would go all the way there and then have to backtrack if I closed the Iron Bridge.

27th Granite: The Forgotten Beast trap is ready. I've ordered the intrepid miner who killed the ogre to go in and unseal the Goblin Training and Execution Area. The carpenters are whining about not having job objects for the next level of the Citadel. I decided to use some of our ~300 andesite blocks for that part instead. We have so many of them, stockpiled for something like this, so why were we using logs?

The Fort-Citadel connection has been re-opened. Work has begun on the lever link for the Stoneware Bridge that protects the Citadel.

28th Granite: None of what I ordered was getting dug. Upon unearthing their relevant profiles from the wreckage of the recent chaos, I saw that they were supposed to do pretty much every single labour as well as mining. I excused them from all jobs except mining. I wonder if any other professions suffer from that same problem. Probably. Although none are as crucial as mining. Actually, it seems like EVERY profession suffers from this. I'm going to need to draft up some new work directives as the current state of affairs is inefficient.

29th Granite: The miner is inside the Forgotten Beast trap. He's about to breach the suspected problem area.

30th Granite: He breached the area. And then took a nap. He has no friends or family. I'll get a coffin or something ready for him. Once I'm done with the Reform, that is.

31st Granite: The Forgotten Beast Osman Scaldedspurted has slain the heroic ogre-slaying miner. He might have gotten out alive if he'd just waited on his nap. Now to test if the trap works.

The bait goose is putting up a surprisingly good fight. It might KILL Osman.

1st Slate: I have instituted the Reform. The Reform is a general labour rework. All skilled dwarves have been limited to ONLY do their skill, rather then a collection of random labours and hauling. All skilled dwarves only do one skill, so they can skill up enough to become good at their task. 1 skilled dwarf is faster then ~10 unskilled dwarves at the same task. Unskilled dwarves have been drafted into Construction, a catch-all title which has them chopping wood[When axes are available to them, that is], designing buildings, building wooden and stone structures and assembling basic traps and levers. Animal Trainers, Furnace Operators and Planters still haul and are present in large numbers. Peasants are still Peasants. Workshop profiles have been used to restrict Construction from using workshops designed for more skilled dwarves. All in all, I estimate a huge efficiency spike in everything. It will work more smoothly when more unskilled dwarves are available through immigration.

2nd Slate: The Forgotten Beast trap works!! The goose is even still alive. Plus, it looks like we'll be able to reclaim a ton of picks left lying around. And a bunch of prisoners.

3rd Slate: Better hold off on that. Looks like there might be a few other Forgotten Beasts that we need to catch with the trap yet.

4th Slate: Looks like the other Forgotten Beast is smashing tables in an old dining room. Also, the goose is dead.

5th Slate: The fort is doing well. Citadel construction progress has spiked enormously since the Reform. We're still hauling prisoners from the last siege in, so a lot of our workforce is tied up there. The Forgotten Beast trap is confirmed to work and we're just waiting on the Forgotten Beasts in the old walled-off bedrooms to get stuck in it too. I'm going to need to experiment to see if artifact-hypnotized Forgotten Beasts attack bait. I'm thinking yes, based on the behaviour of the Trolls and Ogre in the Trade Depot. Once the Citadel can be sealed off with the Stoneware Bridge, then I'm going to add a Trade Depot and some better traps to it. I'm thinking maybe a weapon trap aisle with pits on either side and a danger of some sort at the bottom. Glass discs eviscerate you if you don't dodge and drop you into peril if you do. Win/win trap design. Magma might work, but the area around the Citadel is already pretty riddled with magma engineering.

In any case, my Overseership at Charmcrafted has so far not been dull. I hope that the rest of my reign will be plagued by less violence and messiness.

Spooky Signature

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 03, 2014, 04:15:59 pm »

PLease, do follow my wish with crossbows and giant axe blades, in just one corridor if you wish.... Please?.... Pretty Please?.....

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 03, 2014, 04:23:51 pm »

PLease, do follow my wish with crossbows and giant axe blades, in just one corridor if you wish.... Please?.... Pretty Please?.....

Oh, is THAT what all those crossbows are for? I was wondering why we had so many of them. I'll try and set that up if I have enough time during my reign.
Spooky Signature

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 03, 2014, 04:50:41 pm »

Oh, is THAT what all those crossbows are for? I was wondering why we had so many of them. I'll try and set that up if I have enough time during my reign.

[tries to look knowledgable]Yes.... Yes of course.... they are not there because some previous overseer forgot to sell them, just to use in the citadel....

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 03, 2014, 09:38:43 pm »

Can I get in on this?  Dwarf me as a cook or something, and put me on the overseer list?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 40