Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin breeding program  (Read 1841 times)

Draximo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin breeding program
« on: November 21, 2013, 04:08:55 am »

Well I chained up some gobbos by a floorhatch so they can battle any FB's that climb up, which is hilarious by the way, but when a goblin siege came one of the chained up goblins gave birth lol. so it said it was hostile, but not an invader, and dwarves just seemed to ignore it, that's when I got an idea. I edited the raws to make gobbos tameable, caught it in a cage, and low and behold it works! next step i'm going to see if I can turn it into a war goblin and assign it to my most bad ass dwarves or turn it into a pet. Oh yea, you can butcher them at that point too lol, it would be nice to breed a bunch of goblins just to feed my fort, soap, arrows, etc. what do you guys think I should do at this point, and how could I streamline this process?

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin breeding program
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 04:39:57 am »

Harvest their bones and skulls to craft items and put them in your entrance as a warning.

Make them fight each other and run bets.

Turn them into slaves butlers for your nobles.

All kinds of !!SCIENCE!!

Use the to feed vampires.

Find a way to shoot them with a catapult.

Do the same with the elves.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 06:13:08 am »

A tamed goblin may work the same way as a tamed tigerman, and so could well become mayor. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Tigerman

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 07:19:29 am »

maybe goblins are only so driven to war with dwarves due to such horrid violations of the geneva convention...
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 11:39:29 am »

maybe goblins are only so driven to war with dwarves due to such horrid violations of the geneva convention...
I will continue to assert that it is a perfectly legitimate tactic to drown invaders in the blood and vomit of their predecessors so long as the supply stays

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 02:15:54 pm »

I'm not too thrilled by the typical approach, since the popular ethics edits basically mean you turn goblins into a kind of animal and/or dwarfs into a kind of goblin.

Since you're generating something that's goblin in name only, why not do it the easy way - rename some common domestic animal to "goblin". If you take dogs, you can get some at embark, they're war-trainable and if you give them CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK (and pasture them in the meeting hall), they'll pick up social skills. If you want to be a bit more thorough, you can also edit their body plan and visual depiction. As an added bonus, you can order "goblin leather" and "goblin blood" from the dwarven caravan.

Draximo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 03:34:49 pm »

the goblins still act like goblins, and as invaders I cant train them, but their offspring kind of makes sense. if you were a dwarf wouldn't you take your enemies children and treat them like animals? break there will to the point they will mindlessly attack even their own kind? I think that's more dwarfy than just changing a few things about dogs, because even then they wouldn't be invading you, which is kind of my point, using the invaders against themselves in an ironic sense of dwarvenly payback.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 04:44:18 pm »

if you were a dwarf goblin wouldn't you take your enemies children and treat them like animals? break there will to the point they will mindlessly attack even their own kind? I think that's more dwarfy gobliny than just changing a few things about dogs, because even then they wouldn't be invading you, which is kind of my point, using the invaders against themselves in an ironic sense of dwarvenly gobliny payback.
I fixed it for you

Draximo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 09:15:57 pm »

I also have a large variety of animal men that wander through of all types, ranging from moth men to boar men. about 2/3 of my embark is terrifying with narcolepsy rain, kind of a pain with caravans sometimes, and trying to do anything in those areas is pretty hard (had to make little towers from underneath to those areas where I can use marksdwarves to shoot at unconscious trolls/gobbos, etc.) but at least when a siege comes, they are comatose half the time so I can get all my dwarves to safety in time. with all these different animal men, and hopefully some plump helmet men, I can create a multicultural society with the most diverse army bent on destruction that ARMOK HAS EVER SEEN! that and watching flying creatures with narcolepsy is kind of funny.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 10:09:58 pm »

if you were a dwarf goblin wouldn't you take your enemies children and treat them like animals? break there will to the point they will mindlessly attack even their own kind? I think that's more dwarfy gobliny than just changing a few things about dogs, because even then they wouldn't be invading you, which is kind of my point, using the invaders against themselves in an ironic sense of dwarvenly gobliny payback.
I fixed it for you
So apparently you are now your own worst enemy. This is pretty much as bad as a loyalty cascade.

Question: If gobbos you bred attack invading gobbos, would they suffer a loyalty cascade?
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 11:12:36 pm »

So apparently you are now your own worst enemy. This is pretty much as bad as a loyalty cascade.

Question: If gobbos you bred attack invading gobbos, would they suffer a loyalty cascade?
Goblins have weird politics, I don't know if they have any loyalty TO cascade...

Draximo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 01:09:42 am »

I don't think so, since they weren't born in that civ, they probably wouldn't have any loyalty towards it.