Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often have you been actively malicious towards your Dwarves?

Often: The fortress isn't meant to protect them. It's meant to entertain me.
On Occassion: We all need a bit of dark laughter now and then.
When necessary: As a means to an end, I'll kill a dwarf to save a dozen.
Never: The world is dangerous enough.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Has anyone tried to be a good, moral Overlord?  (Read 21871 times)

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried to be a good, moral Overlord?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 09:02:00 am »

Man, I used to be benevolent towards my dorfs but found it required too much attention. Now I just focus on making my starting 7 survive. Everyone gets either a barracks, dorm, or 2x2 room. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Lately, I've been forced into mass conscription due to certain types of FUN, and this has lead to chronic labor shortages. The value of my citizens increases when their quantity decreases.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 10:06:06 am »

I like both my dwarves and insane projects (which happy dwarves are better for making, as they are less likely to cancel jobs to tantrum), but if one of them starts tantruming for nonsensical reasons, I will make them suffer my fully-capitalized WRATH.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 01:33:20 pm »

I would say my playstyle is Benevolent with occasional forays into Absent-Minded (the cause of the Great Thirst of 93 in Crystalgears) or Incompetent due to my reach exceeding my grasp, as is the case with megaprojects I've attempted.  I don't toss kittens into the lava, nor anything else, but I do have a thriving puppy farm for meat and bones, occasionally assigning dogs to dwarves who like them. I try to treat everyone well, and I still end up with plenty of !!Fun!!.  I do steal from elves when they piss me off, and have occasionally removed the Depot out from under my own when they piss me off,and have occasionally put useless dwarves into squads for the good of the fort, but usually I'm nice.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 03:15:12 pm »

I, personally, prefer challenge embarks - my dorfs tend to tantrum even when I do my best to keep them happy, what with the shambling corpses, piles of miasma, and general murderousness of my embark zones.

I find the real joy in this game to be bringing a population back from the brink.  Start out with everyone miserable; then it feels like more of an accomplishment when I can keep even one or two legendary dorfs in ecstasy.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 03:35:43 pm »

The value of my citizens increases when their quantity decreases.
This too. My preferred fortress size is ~40-49, so I don't have a lot of bodies to spare.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 04:06:21 pm »

In fact, you might say that even most posted stories on the forum aren't about people being Evil Overlords. Most involve "good, moral Overlords" trying to stave off disaster.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

CreamyDoughnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 04:24:12 pm »

In fact, you might say that even most posted stories on the forum aren't about people being Evil Overlords. Most involve "good, moral Overlords" trying to stave off disaster.

Ask not what the Overlord does for you, ask what you have done for him.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 02:51:18 am »

I avoid being overly sentimental about my dwarves. As long as they're content with what they have, I don't mind. Survival always comes first; then projects; then prettying up my fortress and making things nicer for the dorfs.

As it stands in Valefortress, though, we have over seven thousand biscuits of various kinds, most of them masterful. (The egg industry is thriving.) We have a perfectly secure fortress with vulnerabilities only to flying invaders, and precious few of those. There are literally three squares on which a flying enemy could spawn that would allow them into the base. I use exploitative caravan stuff.

On top of that, we have poison gas that drifts by every so often and clears out every wild animal and goblin. Since I don't have to worry about sieges and stuff, I've been able to experiment - made whip vine farms, wild strawberries, and even some prickle berries for some variety in my booze. The kitchens are almost always working, especially right after we have an influx of food from a caravan. Everyone can find something to eat or drink that suits their tastes.

All the bedrooms have a bed, a cabinet, a coffer, and a door. Eventually I'll upgrade, then dig out the space to be used as a battery or something.

The clothing issue is becoming a problem right now since several dwarves have tantrummed due to a lack of pants. I'm in the process of fixing that.

If I ever did want to make things particularly exciting for dorfs in my fortress, I'd go for artificial waterfalls, magma flowing under glass floors through the dining hall, dining halls with gold pavement and chairs and tables, and nice clothing for every dwarf. But there are more fun things to do, like 40-z-level magma pump stacks for moving the entire metal industry up to the main fortress level.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 09:25:29 am »

Hands up for me.
I play in terryfying biome and give my dorfs all they need to be happy.
But, BUT. I hate elfs and destroy their caravans.. if the elf blood rain with syndromes doesn't reach em first.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 10:29:50 am »

I generally play to make my dwarves happy and prosperous and all.

I derive ultimate cathartic pleasure from knowing I did everything I can, and yet my dwarves still all died.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 11:10:02 am »

Forgot to mention - I do annihilate the yearly elf caravan, but only because I need tragedy training for my three military dorfs. One hammerdwarf and two lashers get their regular dose of "Doesn't really care about anything anymore" medicine that way.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 11:56:35 am »

I derive ultimate cathartic pleasure from knowing I did everything I can, and yet my dwarves still all died.
This would make a great sig. Mind if I take it?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 11:59:24 am »

This would make a great sig. Mind if I take it?

Sure, do whatever you want.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 01:52:46 pm »

I'm a total care bear when it comes to my dwarves.  The opposite of course when it comes to their enemies!  My fort has a kinder, gentler child care system from the usual dwarven daycare.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 01:55:52 pm by VerdantSF »

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 02:02:46 pm »

I try to do my best to care for my dwarves, keeping them happy, healthy, and drunk. Nice bedrooms, grand dining halls, legendary meals, the works.

That way when something bad does happen, my dwarves don't stay upset for long.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11