Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 31

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online: Removing Subscription Requirements  (Read 60050 times)

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online: Removing Subscription Requirements
« Reply #390 on: January 22, 2015, 09:01:53 am »

I just heard it went free. Is it worth trying?
Not free, but Buy-To-Play. No more subscriptions. Worth trying? Maybe, the general impression suggests that this game is kinda meh (see Vendayn's opinion just above).
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 22, 2015, 10:19:29 am »

There were many many many major bugs and balance issues earlier for the month or so I played.  (some of these may have been fixed, I didn't keep up with patch notes since I unsubbed)

That said it has the best equipment crafting system I ever saw.  I actually enjoyed gathering and making gear.  And the combat does a decent job at actually feeling like yer playing an elder scrolls game, especially if you play in first person.

I didn't want to pay a sub for it anymore but I already own the box, and I for one am willing to see what they improved once it goes no sub.  I'd be suprised if even ESO managed to not at least partially fix many of those major bugs.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:25:06 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 15, 2015, 09:46:36 am »

Is this game fixed enough to be worth my time yet?

I'm an old school Daggerfall 1&2, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim player (modding the heck out TES 3-5, with Requiem for Skyrim being the only way I play that somewhat disappointing addition to the franchise)
So,
I knew ESO would suck. I really wanted it to be great, but I knew they'd f--k it up.
I've just been hoping they'd fix it if I waited a while.

If ESO isn't ready yet, what other games can people recommend I sink time into?
I am already a die hard EVE-Online player (though I've been playing casual for years now I'm hoping the upcoming nullsec changes will draw me back in more),
but a good medieval/fantasy theme MMO would be cool too.
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 15, 2015, 09:57:11 am »

..."Daggerfall 1&2"?
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 15, 2015, 10:02:58 am »

It was only called Daggerfall 2 in the US, in Japan it was TES 5: Arena  :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 15, 2015, 10:47:17 am »

There's this nice trailer explaining/showing the last important changes in the game: The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Launch Trailer
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 15, 2015, 11:15:47 am »

Whose brilliant idea was it to have no voiceover for the video, and list all the changes in tiny text in the corner of the screen that changes every 2 seconds?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 15, 2015, 12:53:26 pm »

Meeeh. So it transitioned from a shitty generic MMO spawned from a cash-in attempt to a shitty generic MMO &c... ...which doesn't have subscription fees. Maybe once it's down to ~$10-15 purchase price.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 15, 2015, 01:44:35 pm »

This is my reaction to the news:

Oh wait, no it's not. Everyone and their mudcrab knew this was coming. I guess I'm only surprised it took so long.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 15, 2015, 02:43:46 pm »

I'm still not gonna play even for free lol. Last time I played (as you can see my post above)...more than half my time of 2 weeks before I quit, was dealing with the crappiest inventory system.

WoW lets you have a guild bank with multiple tabs, a bank with tons of bag slots+area for resources, HUGE bags (up to 4+base bag) with tons of space

On every single character you can make. So you can have like 9 characters for example, each with their own guild, bank and bag system and your main character can be in an ordinary guild.

The company behind ESO only did it to limit crafting. Can't think of any other reason for the stupid system.

In fact, I'll just go and say WoW feels more like elder scrolls than ESO does lol. Not just the inventory system (though like oblivion/skyrim you can carry tons of stuff), but other stuff too even though its not fully open world. WoW isn't really a skyrim game, but it sure is closer to it than ESO will ever be.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 15, 2015, 04:56:08 pm »

"a skyrim game"

ow my brain

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 15, 2015, 05:14:08 pm »

"a skyrim game"

ow my brain

Well, skyrim is vastly different than morrowind and a lot different than oblivion. Skyrim is more linear than oblivion was IMO, and definetly dumbed down in a lot of ways. Its still my most played game cause of mods. Each elder scrolls though is pretty much its own game. Like morrowind is nothing like skyrim or oblivion, despite it being elder scrolls. So I consider them being their own.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 05:23:58 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 15, 2015, 05:45:48 pm »

"a skyrim game"

ow my brain

Well, skyrim is vastly different than morrowind and a lot different than oblivion. Skyrim is more linear than oblivion was IMO, and definetly dumbed down in a lot of ways. Its still my most played game cause of mods. Each elder scrolls though is pretty much its own game. Like morrowind is nothing like skyrim or oblivion, despite it being elder scrolls. So I consider them being their own.
So if both Morrowind and Oblivion are not like each other nor like Skyrim, why are you comparing ESO to Skyrim?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 15, 2015, 06:20:14 pm »

"a skyrim game"

ow my brain

So if both Morrowind and Oblivion are not like each other nor like Skyrim, why are you comparing ESO to Skyrim?

my main complaint that ruined it for me is the atrocious inventory system. Wow does it way better, and most other mmos have way better inventory systems. I'm not interested in destroying resources because the game has an arbitrary mechanic to limit crafting. Nor spend half the time running to the bank over and over.

Don't really care it isn't like other elder scrolls. It could be like call of duty for all I care. I would still play it. But the inventory system sucks. Its like aions one. Which was also terrible.

If they redid the inventory, I'd enjoy it a lot more. And no, removing ingredients from crafting as a "feature" only makes it worse.

But in any case, not like I'm gonna play it again anyway. So its crappy inventory has no affect on me. So hope people find it fun, everyone's taste in games is different.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 06:26:35 pm by Vendayn »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 15, 2015, 06:28:49 pm »

But to add,the mmo itself is good as far as MMOs go. But inventory system killed it for me.

But like I added to my above post, hopefully people find enjoyment in it. One persons trash is anothers treasure So to speak :) all preferences to games are different.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 31