Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online: Removing Subscription Requirements  (Read 60059 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online: Hey Maybe They'll Fix It
« Reply #375 on: September 16, 2014, 11:31:21 am »

I ended up in ebonheart pact. Tried Daggerfall Covenant. Great (and small) community there. I liked the voice acting the best, and stories in beginning were pretty good. But, the environment wasn't really my thing.

Aldmeri seems to be the largest, but NPCs were so annoying to me. But hey, that's high elves for you. Environment was great, but horrible 4chan like community. Probably all the famous YouTube players. I left, was too horrid. I'd rather play with goonswarm. It was that bad.

Ebonheart has a nice sized community. Not as nice as daggerfall, but vastly better than aldmeri community. Stories and voice acting is good in beginning. Environment is my personal favorite of the 3. On top of that, I see most roleplaying in this faction. Which adds a lot of atmosphere. I still like daggerfall a bit more in a lot of ways, but ebonheart is my home faction.

By the way. What you all think of update 4? Seems like a big update.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 16, 2014, 02:02:39 pm »

The lore is a step up from Skyrim, which I appreciate.
Weren't you extremely upset about this game's lore before it was released? What made you change your opinion?
._.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 16, 2014, 03:00:41 pm »

Reading the lore.

For example, the Towers were a piece of MK weirdlore until the release of Skyrim, at which point they were MK weirdlore that got referenced in the game. The main source on them--Nu-Mantia Intercept--was pretty difficult to read.

ESO introduced Aurbic Enigma 4: The Elden Tree, which gives a perfectly simple (and correct!) rundown of the towers and gives some exposition on one of the few Towers we knew nothing about, Green-Sap.

Not only that, but they really like the towers there. ESO has a book that gives an alternative explanation to Tiber Septim using CHIM to turn Cyrodiil from jungle into upland--to be exact, metaphysical forces from White-Gold tower reacting to the humans that have settled there and making the environment more suited to them.
The best part about that is that it doesn't even disagree with previous lore--Skyrim confirmed that there are documents in-universe of Tiber using CHIM to change Cyrodiil (Heimskr quoting from an MK writing that says as such) and Tiber is just the kind of guy to get propaganda like that written, so the truth is officially up in the air now. It's wonderful. Phrastus of Elinhir says it was a transcription error, but Lady Cinnabar of Taneth in the linked book shoots that down completely.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 03:07:43 pm by Putnam »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 30, 2014, 09:06:20 pm »

I ended up unsubbing. For an MMO, its...good in most areas. Freakin horrible in others.

Favorite thing to do in an ELDER SCROLLS game? PICK UP EVERYTHING I SEE

In ESO? you can pick up a lot...but...the inventory system is the worst I've personally ever seen in an MMO.

Nope, it doesn't go by weight. It goes by VERY limited inventory slots that fill up in less than 30 minutes to an hour of playing.

Make new character? Well limit of 8...and...banks are shared across all, so you do NOT get more bank space. I know why they did it too...it was to limit the amount of items you can have. It makes crafting suck like hell.

Heck, WoW had a vastly better inventory system than the crappy one ESO has. At least in WoW I can make TONS of characters and each one has TONS of bag space and TONS of bank space. WoW is a better elder scrolls game than ESO. And yes, I expect elder scrolls to let me hoard items...cause in Skyrim I hoarded so much it took so long to get back to a merchant. Did I lose money per hour? Probably...but heck, WoW does it way better and its not a ES game.

If it wasn't an ES game? The inventory and bank system is still shit. Worst I ever saw in an MMO. You are so limited in space, can't buy bags (FAKE +10 ones...lame...WoW has HUGE bags...with BAG SLOTS

That was why I unsubbed from ES. The worst inventory system I ever saw in an MMO. Maybe there are worse ones...but by far out of the MMOs I played it is terrible.

And crafting...it sucks worse than WoW. At least you can level up through crafting in WoW. In ES, no separate crafting levels, and it forces you to do combat to get skill points to raise crafting. Granted WoW is similar and that had a bad crafting system too (it made up for it in the shit ton of FUN crafting items)...but ES is worse (by a small bit) just cause crafting doesn't do anything for your character. As far as an ES game? Well Skyrim had smithing, alchemy and enchanting skill levels...in fact, most of my characters just craft 100% of the time which is probably funny...and not possible in ESO.

I kind of like and sorta don't like FFXIV crafting (I'm not too fond of it so far), SWG had amazing crafting, EQ2 you can craft from level 1 and not do any combat....ESO just copied WoW here and made it a bit worse. I would like it more if crafting was a separate skill/level tree like in FFXIV (huge bonus for that MMO)...otherwise its stupid to me and pointless to be a crafter until max level (dumb).

Everything else I liked in ESO. The quests/story/voice acting and there was a lot to find exploring...but exploring was made horrible by the inventory system.

Pretty much those two things (while not making an MMO)...for me...totally destroy my fun in an MMO...I mean an MMO can have amazing inventory/crafting and there could be other things I don't like...but a bad inventory system and bad crafting (WoW is rather bad, but like I said, at least it had tons of fun alchemy/engineering stuff...my two favorite professions) end up making me unsub from an MMO. And ESO inventory is stupid and its stupid the bank is shared, simply to force you to have a limited amount of space. That is exactly why they did it too.

Pretty much to sum it up...ESO has such a bad inventory system I unsubbed. With that, I spent a couple weeks thinking why I wasn't having fun...and...realized partly the crafting (it really annoyed me after playing FFXIV)...but mostly that stupid inventory system and horrible bank mechanic.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:18:56 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 30, 2014, 11:10:05 pm »

Huh, weird that werewolves are vulnerable to disease.  In Skyrim they're immune (though apparently not in Morrowind).
Posting to watch.  I don't dare play MMOs since Runescape (I chose it *because* it's crappy, yet it still got me).  They're fascinating though..
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 21, 2015, 11:21:35 am »

Thread Necromancy Ahoy o/

And.... they're dropping subscriptions in March. Nobody saw that coming...

But I would still have to buy the base game.  ::)
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 21, 2015, 11:48:22 am »

Just wait a few years and it may become a full freemium game with all that entails.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 21, 2015, 12:57:10 pm »

Since it's on the Steam Store chances are it'll probably go on sale sometime either in the spring(around the time the sub drops) or summer sale.  Don't own it and wasn't too impressed with the beta, but I'll pay for the box when it goes on sale because honestly I don't mind supporting the "Guild Wars" model.  Was also announced that console release will be in June, so seems like they're trying to pump up player numbers in preparation for it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 21, 2015, 12:59:04 pm »

I got this for Christmas, haven't opened the shrink wrap yet because it's sort of a white elephant (and I suspect my laptop can't run it well anyways).
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 21, 2015, 01:14:33 pm »

Brace for Elder Scrolls 5 1/2: The Overpopulation of Tamriel.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 21, 2015, 04:12:03 pm »

Just wait a few years and it may become a full freemium game with all that entails.
They'll start giving you the option to buy horses for a bunch of premium currency?

Oh wait...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online: Removing Subscription Requirements
« Reply #386 on: January 22, 2015, 12:56:39 am »

It's cool that the sub cost is going away.

I mean, I'm still not going to play, but that's nice.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 22, 2015, 05:32:20 am »

Well...unlike most people I guess. Most seem "I'll play a shitty MMO I hate because its free! And I can't criticize it ever again because its...FREE!!!" so anyone that complains how bad the MMO is that is free just gets told "well its free, you didn't spend any money, stop complaining...GOSH! Must want everything handed to you on a silver platter" (I saw that for SWTOR when it went free lol. Though I guess SWTOR did improve a lot supposedly)

If it wasn't worth paying monthly for in the first place, even if it goes free, I'm still not gonna want to play it.

With that said, ESO is good...except the inventory system is the worst inventory system I ever saw in an MMO. I know there are ways around it like I was told you can get a horse and stuff, but it annoyed me SO much. Since I came from morrowind, oblivion and then skyrim...I expect to hoard :P And in an MMO, I love to craft...and the inventory system was so limiting for crafters. I would spend 15-20 minutes going to a bank, then spend literally 30 minutes as I did inventory management.

I think out of my 3 weeks of playing, with around 3 days played...1 full day must have been spent doing that stupid inventory management game. Maybe not that long, but I'd sure have to delete a TON of items to make room and spend so much time doing it...

That killed the game for me.

Heck, even WoW has a better system. Each character has own bag slots (not like ESO, you could actually buy 20+ slot bags and fit them on each character). Each character has own BANK space. Each character can make a guild and get GUILD space. AND...you could have a TON of characters on a server for even MORE storage space. I never worried about space at all in WoW.

Even thinking about ESO inventory system makes me want to run away screaming lol.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:34:57 am by Vendayn »

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 22, 2015, 08:13:36 am »

I got this for Christmas, haven't opened the shrink wrap yet because it's sort of a white elephant (and I suspect my laptop can't run it well anyways).

I can only speak from the beta test experience but one thing I will say is it was well optimized.  I ran it on my Dell Studio XPS 1640 with ease on mid-mid/high graphics at 30 FPS(what I cap most MMO's at anyways).  Couldn't get Wildstar past 15-20 fps even on lowest settings on the same machine as a comparison.  I'd say it's about as hard on a machine as Guild Wars 2.

But yeah, agree with Vendayn, the inventory was horrible, as was the phasing.  I really don't understand the obsession with MMO's these days and phasing.  If I wanted to play a single-player game, there's hundreds of thousands of them to choose from.  I play MMO's to randomly run into people in the world, spark up a conversation, and have a sense of community.  Think a lot of developers have forgotten that that's what drew people into the genre in the first place.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 22, 2015, 08:55:42 am »

I just heard it went free. Is it worth trying?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31