Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online: Removing Subscription Requirements  (Read 60065 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online: A Thing That's Happening
« Reply #345 on: April 30, 2014, 03:49:12 pm »

Leyic, when a CD is broken, the shards can be pretty nasty.

I count that as a video game directly killing someone.
Though that's more to do with the hardware than the game.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 30, 2014, 03:58:45 pm »

No kidding. I once lost a disc drive to that.

I've had one not only break, but the drive open and spit them out. Gave me quite a scare, especially since I had been right in front of it a few seconds before.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 30, 2014, 05:10:01 pm »

I count that as a video game directly killing someone.
EA's new tagline for Origin: "At least our games can't kill people." (Or more accurately: "At least our delivery mechanism can't kill people.")

Edit and on topic: What's the smallest group that's managed to take over an uncontested fort? My PvP guild managed to take Dragonclaw with nine people, though the enemy showed up before we could claim a resource to establish the transitus connection, and we were promptly overrun.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:35:31 am by Leyic »

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 01, 2014, 03:01:23 am »

Guys why is everyone walking away from me or crying?
Because you're more interested in being angry than in being right, mostly. Don't get me wrong, from the sound of it the game's fallen into all the traps that keep me away from MMOs in general, but near as I can tell you expected to be upset from the get-go and every opinion you have on the game is about justifying that expectation. It's petty nerd-rage all over - not necessarily wrong, but everything right about it is coincidental or retroactive.

Thanks for the clumsy and amusing attempt to conjure up ridiculous conjecture about my previous expectations. Because who would know me better than you, a random internet stranger!

Would you prefer to fly in a plane built by a company whose sole focus has been aeronautical engineering over the last four decades or would you rather fly in a plane made by the people who put the pull-tabs on soda cans? Because I know which I'd rather fly in...
Computer games can't literally crash, explode, be hijacked, or otherwise be directly responsible in hurting and killing people. Wanting any given game dev to repeatedly make the same type of game can only lead to a dearth of creativity. Rather than exploring franchises from radically different angles, we'd only ever get more-of-the-same but with a different story and flashier graphics. And as pointed out earlier, rather than having BethSoft make TESO, they hired people with MMO experience to make a new studio, so the devs weren't operating with a total absence of skill and talent related to MMORPG design.

It all falls back to a product not meeting it's expectations. I don't buy a computer game and expect to ride it up to perilous altitudes. I don't buy a plane expecting to put it in my CD drive. That doesn't mean I don't expect both to function to the best of their abilities in their PROPER roles.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 03:04:24 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 01, 2014, 03:26:54 am »

Because you're more interested in being angry than in being right, mostly. Don't get me wrong, from the sound of it the game's fallen into all the traps that keep me away from MMOs in general, but near as I can tell you expected to be upset from the get-go and every opinion you have on the game is about justifying that expectation. It's petty nerd-rage all over - not necessarily wrong, but everything right about it is coincidental or retroactive.

Thanks for the clumsy and amusing attempt to conjure up ridiculous conjecture about my previous expectations. Because who would know me better than you, a random internet stranger!

Even if you diddn't intend for it to sound like that, it certainly seems like an accurate description to me.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 01, 2014, 04:18:31 am »

Even if you diddn't intend for it to sound like that, it certainly seems like an accurate description to me.

A jolly good thing that I don't care how it sounds then :).

PS - even if you didn't intend to it sounded like you'd agree with my current comment, so I guess you do.

Cue inception horn please.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 04:23:41 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 01, 2014, 04:58:12 am »

It all falls back to a product not meeting it's expectations. I don't buy a computer game and expect to ride it up to perilous altitudes. I don't buy a plane expecting to put it in my CD drive. That doesn't mean I don't expect both to function to the best of their abilities in their PROPER roles.
But you're complaining about how an MMORPG isn't enough like a single-player CRPG.

This is also ironic, as the way they've written the quests, TESO acts a bit more like single-player CRPGs than most MMORPGs.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 01, 2014, 05:46:50 am »

PS - even if you didn't intend to it sounded like you'd agree with my current comment, so I guess you do.

Wait a minute, I never implied that you literally meant those things.

So I guess I don't.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 01, 2014, 11:19:06 am »

Now now, everyone. The issue isn't that they didn't do what they were known for being good at. Lots of great games have been a developer's first step into a genre. The issue is that they tried something they happened to be bad at. :P

Anyway, I'm pretty confused as to WHO actually made ESO. It's made by Zenimax Online, who I think are a division of Zenimax? That means, NOT the same individuals making elder scrolls games, right? But of course, Zenimax was made by Bethesda to be an umbrella company, if I recall correctly. Furthermore, I hear stuff about Zenimax going ahead with the MMO against Bethesda's will? I think we need a more well-researched explanation of what's actually going on before we talk about who made what and already worked on what.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 01, 2014, 11:55:13 am »

Shouldn't credits exist for both TESO and the BethSoft TES games? Someone could compare these lists to see how much overlap there is. In any case, the guy in charge of TESO's development was brought on when ZOS was created and was previously responsible for Dark Age of Camelot, so he's definitely not someone with prior TES development experience.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 01, 2014, 01:24:22 pm »

The overlap between the dev teams is AFAIK pretty much only in various consultation (Todd Howard, Kurt Kuhlmann, Pete Hines etc.) for various stuff.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 01, 2014, 03:23:48 pm »

A jolly good thing that I don't care how it sounds then :).

Cue inception horn please.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 01, 2014, 08:12:07 pm »

News! We finally know what's coming after Craglorn!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now hopefully this is a list of things they are actually trying to implement, and not a list of things they're only thinking about implementing (i.e. housing in Guild Wars 2 lol).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 01, 2014, 08:24:05 pm »

Spellcrafting

How the hell in an MMO without imbalancing terribly.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31