Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online: Removing Subscription Requirements  (Read 60078 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online: A Thing That's Happening
« Reply #330 on: April 28, 2014, 03:33:06 pm »

The interregnum is infamous in-universe for being a time where very little was recorded, not to mention that the Soulburst caused a bit of confusion in spacetime (why do you think there's so many vestiges?)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 28, 2014, 03:36:00 pm »

Surely at least one legend that no one believes would pop up about coldharbour gates/dark anchors popping up all over the world?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 28, 2014, 06:16:51 pm »

Remember that there's only two references to Oblivion's Oblivion Crisis outside of Oblivion (Dagon's quest in Skyrim and that one guy in Morrowind who tells you about it), exactly one reference to Redguard (in which an ordinary Redguard man killed Tiber Septim's general who is a goddamn dragon) in any of the other games (this reference being a single song about Cyrus sung by sailors in the Imperial City waterfront), almost no references to the direct events of Morrowind in any of the games after, a single book about Daggerfall and only a few references to Arena.

It's not even remotely unusual that these things aren't mentioned later. Remember that it's 400 years until order is restored and that this Oblivion Crisis lasted only a year or so and didn't have any lasting repercussions, unlike, say, the Middle Dawn (of which there's a crapload of lore in ESO) which lasted 1008 years and created Akatosh.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 28, 2014, 06:24:32 pm »

I'm still not buying it. Surely someone, somewhere ought to have told a story about it, even if it only survives as an obscure and disbelieved rumor.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 29, 2014, 01:14:40 pm »

So this was terrible hey?

http://angryjoeshow.com/2014/04/elder-scrolls-online-angry-review/

Who saw that coming...

Series that is famous for developing excellent focused single-player experiences decides why not make an MMO... Because nothing says success like throwing everything that made your game good out the window.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:17:13 pm by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 29, 2014, 01:44:49 pm »

I'm still not buying it. Surely someone, somewhere ought to have told a story about it, even if it only survives as an obscure and disbelieved rumor.

There's also only one mention of the novels in Skyrim (an obscure rumor disbelieved by the only person who mentions it, Ysolda). This was only about 170 years before Skyrim. ESO is 790 years before Morrowind.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 30, 2014, 06:04:37 am »

Series that is famous for developing excellent focused single-player experiences decides why not make an MMO... Because nothing says success like throwing everything that made your game good out the window.
Sid Meier made Pirates!, and that turned out well. Paradox made games that aren't clones of Europa Universalis, and those turned out well. Even Bethesda's Redguard turned out well enough.

You're also implying that if Toady ever decides to make a new game which isn't anything like Dwarf Fortress, that it's doomed to be a miserable failure by default.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 30, 2014, 08:39:12 am »

So this was terrible hey?

http://angryjoeshow.com/2014/04/elder-scrolls-online-angry-review/

Who saw that coming...

To be fair as is often pointed out, this is Zenimax's doing, not Bethesda's.  It does get a bit confusing though because there are 4 companies here that share 2 names.  You have Zenimax the parent company and former publisher, Bethesda which is now the publishing arm, then Zenimax the development studio and Bethesda the development studio.  Todd Howard was against making an MMO from the start, but since legally Zenimax owns the rights to everything under it, the decision was taken out of his hands.  Everyone is worried this will affect the single-player games, but I think honestly it might be a blessing in disguise.  We may very well see an upturn in things Bethesda is often criticized for, like meaningful choices, solid story and character development for NPCs(Think Obsidian's New Vegas), and more work to stamp bugs out.  Bethesda the develpment team obviously love what they do and their IPs are projects of passion.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 30, 2014, 10:33:00 am »

Sid Meier made Pirates!, and that turned out well. Paradox made games that aren't clones of Europa Universalis, and those turned out well. Even Bethesda's Redguard turned out well enough.

You're also implying that if Toady ever decides to make a new game which isn't anything like Dwarf Fortress, that it's doomed to be a miserable failure by default.

Would you prefer to fly in a plane built by a company whose sole focus has been aeronautical engineering over the last four decades or would you rather fly in a plane made by the people who put the pull-tabs on soda cans? Because I know which I'd rather fly in...

As a rule of thumb when you focus on one thing for an extended period of time you become good (or at least better) at doing that thing. Throwing out that experience to pursue making something else just because it's selling well is pants-on-head-crazy because there will be OTHER people who are far better than you at doing those things as they have spent all the time you spent doing the thing that you no longer want to do doing the thing that you now want to do.

Quote from: corrosivechains
To be fair as is often pointed out, this is Zenimax's doing, not Bethesda's.  It does get a bit confusing though because there are 4 companies here that share 2 names.  You have Zenimax the parent company and former publisher, Bethesda which is now the publishing arm, then Zenimax the development studio and Bethesda the development studio.  Todd Howard was against making an MMO from the start, but since legally Zenimax owns the rights to everything under it, the decision was taken out of his hands.  Everyone is worried this will affect the single-player games, but I think honestly it might be a blessing in disguise.  We may very well see an upturn in things Bethesda is often criticized for, like meaningful choices, solid story and character development for NPCs(Think Obsidian's New Vegas), and more work to stamp bugs out.  Bethesda the develpment team obviously love what they do and their IPs are projects of passion.

I didn't realize Bethesda had little to no say... Faith in humanity restored. Hopefully Zenimax get glomped by EA or something and Bethesda get full control of the creative license as they are obviously the only people that know what they're doing and what kind of game people want them to make.

What's next Zenimax? CALL OF ELDER SCROLLS: MODERN MILITARY SHOOTER... Now with extra turret sections and QTEs... Everyone likes turret sections and QTEs right? Riggghhhttt? Guys why is everyone walking away from me or crying?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:36:25 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 30, 2014, 10:53:29 am »

As long as we are playing as Lifts-Her-Tail and she is really a female lizard James Bond style badass superspy.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:55:58 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 30, 2014, 12:09:31 pm »

Look the story of the Elderscrolls made little-no sense long before this, what with artifacts of ultimate power just sort of existing and people not remembering or really caring. (Mind you the main reason why the story makes little sense is because the Elder Scrolls world is temporally fluid so multiple events can take place within the same timespan along with a general inability for the denizens of the world to notice it.)

People forget the events that take place a few years before the start of each game, what makes you think they can remember important facts from a thousand years in the past?

Eventually we are going to discover that the Dwarves disappeared in the most overt and public way possible.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:12:45 pm by Neonivek »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 30, 2014, 01:42:56 pm »

Guys why is everyone walking away from me or crying?
Because you're more interested in being angry than in being right, mostly. Don't get me wrong, from the sound of it the game's fallen into all the traps that keep me away from MMOs in general, but near as I can tell you expected to be upset from the get-go and every opinion you have on the game is about justifying that expectation. It's petty nerd-rage all over - not necessarily wrong, but everything right about it is coincidental or retroactive.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 30, 2014, 01:53:42 pm »

Would you prefer to fly in a plane built by a company whose sole focus has been aeronautical engineering over the last four decades or would you rather fly in a plane made by the people who put the pull-tabs on soda cans? Because I know which I'd rather fly in...
Computer games can't literally crash, explode, be hijacked, or otherwise be directly responsible in hurting and killing people. Wanting any given game dev to repeatedly make the same type of game can only lead to a dearth of creativity. Rather than exploring franchises from radically different angles, we'd only ever get more-of-the-same but with a different story and flashier graphics. And as pointed out earlier, rather than having BethSoft make TESO, they hired people with MMO experience to make a new studio, so the devs weren't operating with a total absence of skill and talent related to MMORPG design.

Would you prefer it if The Beatles remained a locally popular cover band in the London club scene, never branching out by producing their own album? Maybe J.K. Rowling should only be allowed to publish more Harry Potter novels?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:56:37 pm by Leyic »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 30, 2014, 03:19:24 pm »

Great, now we can't bring CDs or DVDs on planes either and all the in flight movies will be VHS quality.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 30, 2014, 03:39:56 pm »

Leyic, when a CD is broken, the shards can be pretty nasty.

No kidding. I once lost a disc drive to that.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31