Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online: Removing Subscription Requirements  (Read 60191 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online: A Thing That's Happening
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2014, 11:26:11 am »

So what's the plot of this?
Of the game or what prompted Curse to give 500k keys to people who pay them money?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2014, 11:31:28 am »

Of the game. The plot of corporations is money+gullible people=more money.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2014, 11:34:52 am »

Just got a weekend key... dunno what to make of it... guess i'll try it out?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2014, 11:36:52 am »

Of the game. The plot of corporations is money+gullible people=more money.
From what I gathered from released info: It's the Interregnum. It means it's during the second era, after the death of the Akaviri Potentates and before Talos. Molag Bal, with Mannimarco's help, decides to invade Tamriel. At the same time, three alliances are formed who, instead of focusing on the daedric invasion, decide to attack each other instead. The players are apparently people who got soul-trapped by Molag Bal.

Just got a weekend key... dunno what to make of it... guess i'll try it out?
Same here, still downloading this behemoth.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2014, 11:48:30 am »

If anyone's interested in forming a party? just list your will be ingame name and uuuhhh faction? if that matters?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2014, 11:50:26 am »

If anyone's interested in forming a party? just list your will be ingame name and uuuhhh faction? if that matters?
I will once I am actually done downloading it. Do you want me to shoot you a PM when that happens?

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2014, 12:16:47 pm »

I will once I am actually done downloading it. Do you want me to shoot you a PM when that happens?

Sure thing

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2014, 12:56:07 pm »

I've got another spare key to hand out as well. It seems that they just send an email with a key to everyone who's in each beta, even if you were in an older beta in which case your key still works.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2014, 01:58:01 pm »

Anyone got the idea of the UK time when it will happen?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2014, 02:00:39 pm »

Sensei, if it's not already claimed i'll take the key!

I'm eager to find out if my hatred has been well-placed or not!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2014, 04:17:07 pm »

Anyone got the idea of the UK time when it will happen?
It's 5PM Friday in the UK.

Sensei, if it's not already claimed i'll take the key!

I'm eager to find out if my hatred has been well-placed or not!
Sending!

Also, since I'm not really too worried about getting banned or something, I shall say this of the game: At a basic level, it still functions like an Everquest/WoW derivative MMO that's become the standard. You have skills on the hotbar, they have a cooldown, stats act in a similar way. They've added a lot of Elder Scrolls flavor, your character can jump and dodge manually and there are a lot of special attacks that make you think about the position of everyone's characters, and regular melee attacks do swing in an arc and collide with other characters, although they feel still and on a cooldown compared to the fluid movement of, say, Skyrim, or even Morrowind- again, in the real-time-but-turn-based tradition of most MMOs. The world doesn't feel like Elder Scrolls either- there's no non-game-relevant objects, you can't really just run around and do whatever you want, each dungeon and quest was meant to be seen in a relatively specific order before you move to the next discreet area. There also aren't NPCs just walking around you can talk to, random things to find in the world, etc. Areas are intended for characters of a specific level range, so on, so forth.

In other words, it feels like a standard MMO made more Elder Scrolls-like, rather than an Elder Scrolls game made online. I stipulate this with saying, it looks like probably the best standard-style MMO I've played. I also don't know if the general sense of a narrow focus without the ability to run around doing whatever is reduced in the latest beta this friday. However, compared to steam sales and indie games and what have you, there's just no way I'm paying $60 for the game, and THEN paying for a subscription after the first month. It's just too expensive- requiring merely the subscription like EVE, or a one-time fee like Guild Wars would have been fine. I'm a cheapass in general though, maybe others will feel differently.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2014, 04:47:02 pm »

thanks for the key, and the review Sensei!

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2014, 05:09:43 pm »

Apparently the pre-purchase advantages include being able to play as any race in any faction, and as Imperials with the special edition.

My shifty-moneygrubber-senses are tingling and suddenly I find myself a lot more hesitant to put down $$ for this. Any thoughts on some of these decisions?
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2014, 05:17:09 pm »

see: last post by Sensei

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2014, 06:19:40 pm »

Thanks for the review, Sensei! Question, though: How would you rate storyline quality? Or is there one at all? I'm a bit of a single-player MMO person (which is why I stuck with Star Wars: The Old Republic for so long - they did ridiculously engaging character storylines for it).

FAKEEDIT: oh sweet syrupy buddha it's 22 gigs. Me and my DSL connection will get right on that o_o
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31